Will there be cities?

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I was wondering if you'd ever run across a city or town? But that would most likely be too complicated to procedural generate.

Also given what we think we know of the universe wouldn't most planets be devoid of life?

I have so many questions! And no way of getting an answer, so I just thought I'd throw em your way. What do you guys think? Do you have questions of your own?

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a good question! Also, can we build shelters and homes and such? Is there a character creator? Can you be a boy or girl? Soooo many questions... But really all I wanna know is what's the release window hahahahah.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sean said in one of the interviews, the IGN one I think, that you won't come across any intelligent life on planets, so considering only intelligent life could create cities I think it's safe to say there won't be any.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've seen structures on other planets in the trailers they've shown. Other than that, nothing. There's still so much we don't know about this game.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By EthanielRain

@ll_exile_ll said:

Sean said in one of the interviews, the IGN one I think, that you won't come across any intelligent life on planets, so considering only intelligent life could create cities I think it's safe to say there won't be any.

That seems to conflict with having ships fly around on planets and stuff, like they've shown in the trailer. I suppose they're just part of the environment, or not considered to be flown by "intelligent life"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:

That seems to conflict with having ships fly around on planets and stuff, like they've shown in the trailer. I suppose they're just part of the environment, or not considered "intelligent"?

Maybe they never really land, so there is only intelligent life in space or flying in orbit? Who knows.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I doubt there will be full on cities, but I did see structures that were definitely created by intelligent life at some point.

@ll_exile_ll said:

That seems to conflict with having ships fly around on planets and stuff, like they've shown in the trailer. I suppose they're just part of the environment, or not considered to be flown by "intelligent life"?

Yeah, exactly where civilization is in this universe hasn't been made clear. I guess civilization is in a different galaxy altogether?

Zmarfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would guess that the outside of the galaxy (where you will start) has some type of intelligent life. I think they won't show you for example the city planets because the whole idea for the game is to explore places no one has ever been to. That's why there will be intelligent life in for example trading ships, they are traveling towards the center too. That's my opinion at least ;)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Plenty of other of the procedurally generated Elite style games in the past 20 years have had cities on the planet surfaces. Nothing too complicated, usually just a few buildings and a starport. I know Paragon which has procedurally generated planets just does checks so that none of the structures are spawned underground, I'm sure this could do something similar.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In an E3 Gamespot interview he said it was more about exploring the universe rather than sticking on one planet. So I doubt you would be building much aside from upgrading your ship. But who knows what other mechanics there will be.