#1 Edited by insanejedi (655 posts) -

In a land where you can own guns and a long pointy stick, why are nunchakus illegal?

(talking about California and referencing QL)

#2 Edited by dobschutz (54 posts) -

some dumb white parents probly sued somebody cause their dumb kids got hurt. poof.

#3 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1886 posts) -

Same reason lawn darts are banned basically.

Let's start an underground lawn dart/nunchaku club

#4 Edited by Abendlaender (2734 posts) -

In a land where you can own guns and a long pointy stick, why are nunchakus illegal?

(talking about California and referencing QL)

Cause there really isn't a "nunchaku" lobby and some weapons have to be "dangerous" to calm the public. Cause america.

#5 Posted by Vanick (312 posts) -

There too powerful for human beings. Only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are strong enough to wield them safely.

#6 Edited by Levio (1782 posts) -

If you see the cops coming, just unchain the two sticks and you can rightfully claim they're just batons. Oldest trick in the book.

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

What I wanna know is why a nighstick/Tonfa is illegal. If it's okay for the cops to nonlethally defend themselves/apprehend suspects with, I don't see why a person couldn't have one for self defense. It's surely got to be better than walking around with a gun or a knife, right?

#8 Edited by RonGalaxy (2839 posts) -

Because they aren't protected by the constitution and the government loves to fine people for owning/doing stupid shit. How else are they gonna pay back those young chinese trillionaires?

#9 Edited by MB (11891 posts) -

Possessing nunchaku is a felony in California...carrying a loaded, concealed handgun is only a misdemeanor. They were banned during the ninja movie/weapons craze of the 1980's, I believe.

I remember being able to order nunchaku, shuriken, whatever out of the back of Black Belt Magazine back then.

#10 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -

@mb: "It's because of all those ninjas during the '80s" is an explanation that needs to be used more often, regardless of context.

Also, I think they're illegal in the UK too, but for like, actual gang violence. Probably ninjas though.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

I think it's worth clarifying that nunchucks aren't banned in most US states. Though, they are banned in many countries, including Canada, Germany, Australia, and (severely limited) in the UK.

And even in those US states where they are banned, it is usually legal to use them in a teaching setting. So, a martial arts dojo can use them; though, you can't have them in public. I believe these states and countries banned them based on the fact that they started to become popular weapons amongst street gangs in the 80s, and so, the bans were instituted in the hopes of cracking down on such gangs.

#12 Posted by Sinusoidal (1262 posts) -

Same reason lawn darts are banned basically.

Let's start an underground lawn dart/nunchaku club

Except with lawn darts, it's surprisingly easy to accidentally kill someone. Nunchaku, not so much.

#13 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

The government wants you defenseless

#14 Edited by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

Cause if you had a pair then you might get the idea of trying to hit someone with em, and then said person would shoot you in response. So really, it's for your own protection.

Sword-chucks are better anyway, so it doesn't matter.

#15 Edited by Slaegar (686 posts) -

Well after Sandy Hook people wanted bullets that can't penetrate thin plastic when shot directly to be banned because someone had one in a trunk of a car so don't expect logic when it comes to angry people with signs.

Its called a knee jerk reaction.

#16 Edited by Dangerloves (82 posts) -

@mb said:

Possessing nunchaku is a felony in California...carrying a loaded, concealed handgun is only a misdemeanor. They were banned during the ninja movie/weapons craze of the 1980's, I believe.

The same can be said in the UK. They loved their dubbed HK kung-fu films of the 80s and 90s, though the classification board would edit/censor gratuitous weapon demonstrations and techniques in said films, like they were Video Nasties or something. They also didn't like the word "Ninja", in TMNT.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@jz said:

The government wants you defenseless

The government saw Bruce Lee use them and went, "No, nope, nuhuh. Did you guys see that?! No, not allowed."

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/743565/bruce-lee-nunchaku-o.gif

http://www.gifvideo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/gif-bruce-lee-nunchaku.gif

#18 Posted by Grixxel (762 posts) -

Has something to do with the terrorist group, Foot Clan

#19 Posted by Flappy (2113 posts) -

@truthtellah: That second gif is golden. I still frown whenever I come across the occasional person talkin' mess about Bruce Lee. There are just some things that shouldn't be done.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

If Nunchaku is criminalized, only criminals will have Nunchaku.

#21 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

Because they are obviously designed solely to be concealable people killing weapons... as opposed to pocket knives and handguns, both of which serve a dual-purpose for cooking and hunting, respectively.

#22 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

Obamacare.

#23 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

It's clearly Obama's fault.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

Those are so easy to make. They can't ban two sticks tied together. I'd like to see them try!

#25 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1409 posts) -

America sucks.

#26 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

They were banned as a strangulation device. My understanding is you can quickly crush someone's throat with them like a walnut cracker.