#1 Edited by Reisz (1479 posts) -

This may be old news but Norway Tankers have been participating in a program where they use an Oculus Rift headset for better visibility when driving under "hostile" conditions, basically any time they would need to close down their hatches a mounted camera system pipes in a 3D surround view to the Rift and the tanker can drive relatively unimpeded. (the latency in the kits at time of writing provide too many problems for extended wear.) I was recently watching Patlabor 2 (1993) and when I came across the photos of these norwegian tankers it blew my mind a little. The mechanical design of Oshii's films always seemed grounded and realistic but damn, that's pretty fucking close.

Exciting times boys and girls. Magnetic implants, NFC chipped hands and VR Tank drivers.

#2 Posted by SgtSphynx (1333 posts) -

Awesome

#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4908 posts) -

Wrong Anime Future

#4 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -
#5 Edited by Reisz (1479 posts) -

Wrong Anime Future

*Right Anime Future

#6 Edited by Jesus_Phish (668 posts) -
#7 Edited by LTSmash (613 posts) -

I was expecting Drew to bring this up during the news segment. This use of Oculus actually makes a ton of sense when you think about hard it is to see out of a tank. Maybe more so than the similar tech in the F35.

#8 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

Anime people look better than real life people so I'll take the Mickey Hatsuno future please.

#10 Posted by DeadpanCakes (829 posts) -

Wrong Anime Future

Haha, this is actually what I thought this thread was gonna be about going in. I hafta say: ...I'm disappointed.

#11 Posted by joshwent (2157 posts) -

Man is that dude gonna be embarrassed when everyone else leaves the war and turns the lights off, and he's sitting in the tank by himself all like, "guys? Guys?".

#12 Edited by Itwongo (1172 posts) -

Are you ready to ride the roller coaster?

Online
#13 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (998 posts) -

Wrong Anime Future

There are worse things to sleep with...

#14 Posted by BBAlpert (1428 posts) -

@itwongo said:

Are you ready to ride the roller coaster?

"Put on the goggles"

"I don't want t-"

"PUTTADAGOGGAZ!!!!!!"

#15 Edited by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Man is that dude gonna be embarrassed when everyone else leaves the war and turns the lights off, and he's sitting in the tank by himself all like, "guys? Guys?".

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -
@reisz said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Wrong Anime Future

*Right Anime Future

That's actually what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on the thread. Thank god it wasn't...at least at first.

#17 Posted by slyspider (1186 posts) -

This is where I need technology to go. Not the tank thing, the sleep with Hatsune Miku thing. I need it. For science.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Man is that dude gonna be embarrassed when everyone else leaves the war and turns the lights off, and he's sitting in the tank by himself all like, "guys? Guys?".

That was mean of them to do. I felt so fucking bad for him when I watched that live.

#19 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

This is where I need technology to go. Not the tank thing, the sleep with Hatsune Miku thing. I need it. For science.

It won't be enough until I can feel her virtual breath on my neck.

#20 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -
@neonie said:

@slyspider said:

This is where I need technology to go. Not the tank thing, the sleep with Hatsune Miku thing. I need it. For science.

It won't be enough until I can feel her virtual breath on my neck.

...

#21 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: God that was such a great Happy Hour. That was also the one with Babysitting Mama. Funny as fuck.

#22 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -
@neonie said:

@themanwithnoplan: God that was such a great Happy Hour. That was also the one with Babysitting Mama. Funny as fuck.

Ryan bursting out laughing from the Megan's law comment was the cherry on top. Man, he had such a contagious laugh.

#23 Posted by freakin9 (1111 posts) -

@reisz said:

This may be old news but Norway Tankers have been participating in a program where they use an Oculus Rift headset for better visibility when driving under "hostile" conditions, basically any time they would need to close down their hatches a mounted camera system pipes in a 3D surround view to the Rift and the tanker can drive relatively unimpeded. (the latency in the kits at time of writing provide too many problems for extended wear.) I was recently watching Patlabor 2 (1993) and when I came across the photos of these norwegian tankers it blew my mind a little. The mechanical design of Oshii's films always seemed grounded and realistic but damn, that's pretty fucking close.

Exciting times boys and girls. Magnetic implants, NFC chipped hands and VR Tank drivers.

You remember some tank dude in an anime a little too well, creep.

Wrong Anime Future

You on the other hand, have your head on straight.

#24 Edited by Freshbandito (677 posts) -

I'll be honest, I was expecting an oculus rift with cat ears or some kind of plug in sexual aid addon.

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7263 posts) -

Ghost in the Shell

Online
#26 Posted by slyspider (1186 posts) -

@neonie said:

@slyspider said:

This is where I need technology to go. Not the tank thing, the sleep with Hatsune Miku thing. I need it. For science.

It won't be enough until I can feel her virtual breath on my neck.

...

I need this. I NEED THIS

#27 Posted by how92 (23 posts) -

@fattony12000: I don't know about some of that Ghost in the Shell stuff. The ending to Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was fucking weird although what happened to the Major could be cool.

#28 Edited by Fattony12000 (7263 posts) -
Online
#29 Posted by baka_shinji17 (202 posts) -