If any Exoddus fans are out there...

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hi!

I noticed this evening that the Exoddus story section on the wiki was severely lacking, so I wrote out a description of the entire story. If you ever needed something to reference when arguing this game as one of the best written, hopefully you now have somewhere to link. Writing it was a fun trip of memories so I hope anyone who stumbles across it enjoys.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Exoddus was good stuff. I don't know how New 'n Tasty sold but I'd love to see Exoddus get the same treatment.

It's been long enough that I don't remember details, so I'll check out what you did.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: New N Tasty just came out on PC, hopefully it does well because they're interested in remaking the sequel if the interest is there.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benjo_t: Right, 250,000 was the hard figure they needed. Then 500,000 for a brand new game.

Oddworld ports tend to show up on many different platforms eventually, and I'm hoping PC is a good place for it. But with the original Oddysee already available on Steam for cheap, I'm wondering if it'll do as well as they'd hope.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By benjo_t

@csl316: I think the originals definitely did very well on PC. I had the first on PS1 but quickly found the PC versions were the ones for me. Particular strengths of that version included easier access to GameSpeak (just 1-0 on the keyboard) and I was always better with precision platforming using the keyboard. The remakes have some big boots to fill, but I think their particular appeal is in raising a new "generation" of Oddworld fans who will look at the originals and refuse to contend with old games limited to 640x480. That said, the originals really hold up, and in some ways still outshine the remake in direction and animation quality.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It will be one of the first games I'll buy when I get my PS4 but to be honest, I'm much more of an Exoddus fan. I remember I was really bummed to hear that Munch's Oddyssee would be xbox exclusive. But then again I played it as soon as it hit the PC in 2012 and realized I didn't miss much. Pretty crappy game. Selling out your fans for some Microsoft money really hurt the franchise. I really hope they'll go for a new game in the series. I already played Exoddus to death.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benjo_t

@trafalgarlaw: I think a new game is on the cards if the remakes do well for them. Apparently Lorne Lanning has been designing a game called The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot for some time. Just Add Water said in 2011 they were going to revive Hand of Odd, the RTS set in the Oddworld universe, but who knows if that will materialise.

There are a lot of interesting articles and interviews with Lorne around the net which deal with the reception of Munch and Strangers. Lorne insists the projects had to be rushed to meet launch deadlines, and that Microsoft did a poor job of marketing the games which lead to their failure. I personally feel they didn't make the transition to 3D as well as they could, and I would have much preferred another 2D puzzle platformer with their gorgeous art and music.

P.S, I agree that Exoddus is the better game. It set a very high watermark of quality for me as a young gamer, I think it's an almost perfect execution on the concept and I play it at least once a year.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csl316

@benjo_t: Oh yeah, the originals got a good reception when they were made available. My concern is people not wanting to buy another version of the same game (despite all the upgrades). Or first timers might see a version for $20+ cheaper and just go with that.

Of course, I want them to do well. Lorne's great, and his video interview on Destructoid with Holmes is one of the best I've listened to.