10 Things I've learned so far from doing office work this summer.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By Verdugo
  1. Microwavable foods are the shit.
  2. If all you need to do is show up to get the job, then you know this will be a laid back job.
  3. You just need to LOOK like you are doing something.
  4. Having to put in 180 hours for this summer hire program to earn 500 bucks is not as bad as it sounds.
  5. Appreciate sleep.
  6. 3 days a week, 5 hours a day, and then you wonder how your dad works about 7 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week.
  7. Office work is mundane, incredibly easy, and takes forever.
  8. With about 30,000 papers or so sitting in boxes (probably more), you realize what happened to that tree in your backyard.
  9. Your I Pod is your best friend.
  10. You have what a few million americans want, a job of some kind.  Actually, you have what a few thousand americans want, a job of some kind that doesn't suck.

and one more thing...

I get a free tall bottle of iced tea to drink while I work. So it's official, my job is great:D.
    I get a free tall bottle of iced tea to drink while I work. So it's official, my job is great:D.

Does anyone else like the job they work at? I know I don't really have a "job" persay, this is just an apprenticeship, but I like it anyways:D.

-Verdugo

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Verdugo
  1. Microwavable foods are the shit.
  2. If all you need to do is show up to get the job, then you know this will be a laid back job.
  3. You just need to LOOK like you are doing something.
  4. Having to put in 180 hours for this summer hire program to earn 500 bucks is not as bad as it sounds.
  5. Appreciate sleep.
  6. 3 days a week, 5 hours a day, and then you wonder how your dad works about 7 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week.
  7. Office work is mundane, incredibly easy, and takes forever.
  8. With about 30,000 papers or so sitting in boxes (probably more), you realize what happened to that tree in your backyard.
  9. Your I Pod is your best friend.
  10. You have what a few million americans want, a job of some kind.  Actually, you have what a few thousand americans want, a job of some kind that doesn't suck.

and one more thing...

Does anyone else like the job they work at? I know I don't really have a "job" persay, this is just an apprenticeship, but I like it anyways:D.

-Verdugo

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

11 hours a day 6 days a week working in Soviet steel mills. But I did it for the love of the motherland.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10

Your list reminded me of Office Space for some reason. I love my job. I get paid above min wage, to just sit for 3hrs and wait for something to happen. I work at a bowling center in the back with the machines. The only downside is that I get extremely bored, I don't get to see a human being for 3hrs.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I'm surprised to not see something about Dilbert being the most true and honest comic strip or something along those lines up there, but whatever. Glad you are enjoying your job.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Verdugo

@Keyser_Soze: Driven individual aren't you? :)

@Ginger: I love Office Space, hilarious movie. And my job is similar to that, except I'm not on a payroll and I only get paid after a certain amount of input hours, and I work at a Tax Relief Office. It does get boring, but I have 2 friends who work with me and we like to goof off a bit to make the day interesting.

@Cerza: I honestly don't read Dilbert. I know it's an office-antics related comic strip, but that is it.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

What is your job?

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PowerSerj

I'm in the same boat as you, Verdugo, with the exception that I have 5 days a week to go through. And I agree 100% with all of your points. I've never appreciated sleep as much as I do now.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Verdugo

@SJSchmidt93 said:

"What is your job?"

Various office tasks including sorting papers by last name into alphabatized boxes (and that takes a long time), filing, stamping papers with an electric foot pedal operated stamper etc.

You know, office work.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By super_machine

Yeah I like my job 99% of the time.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_

Your 10 things from office work would amost exactly match my 10 things from doing tech support, although I would have to modify it and add in some things about stupid customers and other shit. Great list.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jixashauser

I deliver papers at 3 in the morning so I really don´t like my job :( Can´t wait for school to start again!

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By teh_destroyer

9 hours a day, 5 days a week. a shitty wage of $9.25 an hour, plus plenty of work and heavy stuff to lift and more work to do that keeps me there till 1am in the morning. My bosses always remind me and convince me that I love my job  >_>

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Hamst3r

I worked as a computer tech for 5 years. The first year or so was all in-house tech stuff, which was a lot of fun. Not super easy, but fun nonetheless. People would bring computers to me and I'd fix them. Simple. It was relaxing and satisfying. After that I was changed to being a field tech and that job sucked. Now I was having to deal with irate people and their sensitive irreplaceable data and I was on their turf the whole time. After a few years of that I was changed to an on-site server administrator. With that job I was at the customer every day, but I had my own office and I wasn't there just because of some catastrophe. That job was pretty laid back, as long as the server didn't go down or data didn't go missing. I still wasn't a fan of being on the customer's turf so much though, because if someone had a computer problem they'd be all over me instantly.

I'm out of that field now though and kickin' it freelance and I'm liking it. I work when I'm motivated. I don't feel like working today, so I'm not. The work still gets done, so it's no problem. :)

I'll gladly never go back to a typical day job. I'll find ways to keep making money.