1UP.com Refugee Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hy4000uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hy4000uk

On the 6th of January 2009 news broke that 1UP.com has effectively shuttered its doors and EGM has been discontinued. Around 40 people have been fired, amongst them the finest writers and biggest personalities on 1up. All of the podcasts and shows that were synonomous with 1UP have been cancelled

1Up has been bought by UGO (a terrible "videogame site" with poor qualtiy content) who promptly fired most of the staff as they only really wanted the domain name. They were sold because their owners Ziff Davis are a bunch of incompetent, financially unstable morons who do not know how to run a business.

On top of this Shawn Elliott and James Mielke have hinted at horrendous treatment of staff and incredibly nasty, underhanded stuff going on around the time of the sale

1UP IS DEAD

This is a thread for everyone who has decided to leave what was formerly 1UP so make your introductions! I'm Harry :)

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0

You guys will now be known as the "group who missed out on seeing the awesomeness of Levio"

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_
Fr0Br0 said:
"You guys will now be known as the "group who missed out on seeing the awesomeness of Levio""
Maybe they won't be missing as much as you think.
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bjorno

looks like 1up needs an extra life hahahah i am funny

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fr0br0
Jayge said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"You guys will now be known as the "group who missed out on seeing the awesomeness of Levio""
He's back. Don't spoil it for them."
Wait, Levio is back?
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman
hy4000uk said:

This is a thread for everyone who has decided to leave what was formerly 1UP so make your introductions! I'm Harry :)"
Hi Harry, I'm TurboMan (Hug)
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SpikeDelight
bjorno said:
"looks like 1up needs an extra life hahahah i am funny"
I lol'd
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG

Welcome, friend. It is a sad day indeed when our favorite gaming journalists get hosed. May we all console one another within the comfort of GiantBomb's wonderful HTML coding. 

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thrawn1
hy4000uk said:
"On the 6th of January 2009 news broke that 1UP.com has effectively shuttered its doors and EGM has been discontinued. Around 40 people have been fired, amongst them the finest writers and biggest personalities on 1up. All of the podcasts and shows that were synonomous with 1UP have been cancelled

1Up has been bought by UGO (a terrible "videogame site" with poor qualtiy content) who promptly fired most of the staff as they only really wanted the domain name. They were sold because their owners Ziff Davis are a bunch of incompetent, financially unstable morons who do not know how to run a business.

On top of this Shawn Elliott and James Mielke have hinted at horrendous treatment of staff and incredibly nasty, underhanded stuff going on around the time of the sale

1UP IS DEAD

This is a thread for everyone who has decided to leave what was formerly 1UP so make your introductions! I'm Harry :)"
Yeah, all that really sucks; the whole industry is taking a beating right now.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By bwooduhs
bjorno said:
Haha i see what you did there. You're a cunny funt you are.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By gearhead

I welcome all 1UP'ers here. It is so sad, and as a faithful user of that site, I am completely saddened. I can not even do this homework that stares before my eyes, without a tear muttering. I will miss their podcasts, so deeply.
Moneyhats.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turboman
BoG said:
"Welcome, friend. It is a sad day indeed when our favorite gaming journalists get hosed. May we all console one another within the comfort of GiantBomb's wonderful HTML coding. "
Giant Bomb is never gonna...

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Thrawn1
hy4000uk said:
"On the 6th of January 2009 news broke that 1UP.com has effectively shuttered its doors and EGM has been discontinued. Around 40 people have been fired, amongst them the finest writers and biggest personalities on 1up. All of the podcasts and shows that were synonomous with 1UP have been cancelled

1UP IS DEAD

you should come into the chat room:http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bombcast/32/new-bombcast-tonight/224775/?page=last#reply_form
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By bwooduhs
TurboMan said:
"BoG said:
"Welcome, friend. It is a sad day indeed when our favorite gaming journalists get hosed. May we all console one another within the comfort of GiantBomb's wonderful HTML coding. "

"
Fail.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharleyTony

Well, it probably only affects publicly traded companies. Private companies dont feel the direct effects of th stock market

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By tokyochicken

I was a fan of their media stuff and alot of that has been cut down now, its really crappy. I hope these guys find something to land on. So many of those guys have been in the industry for so long it'd be weird to see them go like this. 

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Arcitee

Well, I guess I'll join Giantbomb now. I used to be Falen on 1up, decided just to use my Xboxlive and PSN username here. Giantbombt has a pretty cool podcast, dunno how I feel about the site yet, but hey I mostly supported 1up because of their podcasts and for EGM.

Here's to a new board and a new place!

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CreamyGoodness
Fr0Br0 said:
i couldnt agree more. No offense to you guys but i feel that nothing good can come of this. The thing i enjoyed and enjoy about nthese forums is the tight nit community. It wasnt some big ass thing were people just spam shit. This go bad, fast. This site is so community focused and people could fuck it up. (i shouldnt be talking i just had an elightening email from a mod, not forum related) and i dont want that. i feel this will go bad, fast.
goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By goldenmnk
bwooduhs said:
"TurboMan said:
"BoG said:

"
Fail."
Ug... just... jsut die
CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CreamyGoodness
hy4000uk said:

1UP IS DEAD

exactly who of the staff got fired. i hope the podcast dont get affected
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turboman
goldenmnk said:
"bwooduhs said:
"TurboMan said:
"BoG said:

"
Fail."
Ug... just... jsut die"
the rickroll was just there to show off GB's awesome HTML coding within the forums
buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buckwatters

There were about 30 employees fired inlcuding:

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

I pulled this from a 1up user on their site I'm not sure how accurate it is though

buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buckwatters
CreamyGoodness said:
"hy4000uk said:

1UP IS DEAD

exactly who of the staff got fired. i hope the podcast dont get affected"
after that list I would imagine the podcast's are finished.
rockinaway247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rockinaway247

Hi, my name is Quinn. I was a huge fan of 1up and almost everything they did ( I was subscribed to EGM used to subscribe to GFW, listened to every podcast on there network, and visited the site on an almost daily basis. Now I have come here hoping these Giant Bomb guys will maybe pick up one or two of the people who got layed off today.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thrawn1
rockinaway247 said:
"Hi, my name is Quinn. I was a huge fan of 1up and almost everything they did ( I was subscribed to EGM used to subscribe to GFW, listened to every podcast on there network, and visited the site on an almost daily basis. Now I have come here hoping these Giant Bomb guys will maybe pick up one or two of the people who got layed off today."

don't count on it, i'm pretty sure that they want to keep this a small operation.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turboman

Welcome, Quinn

(Hug)
ocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ocha

ocha wants to get attacked by one of those famous bomb luchadeers.
then i want to eat it's offspring as luchadeer jerky.

1Up people friend me.  bomb is massive and intimidating.  i need snuggles.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Whisperkill

Ive been a member of gintbomb, but now im full time, 

*raises glass*

HERES TO 1UP, as it once was... ='(
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

bwooduhs said:
"bjorno said:
Haha i see what you did there. You're a cunny funt you are."
Heheheheheheheheheh.....
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_

Welcome, one and all.

Prepare to hate me.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By thordain
ocha said:
"ocha wants to get attacked by one of those famous bomb luchadeers.
then i want to eat it's offspring as luchadeer jerky.

1Up people friend me.  bomb is massive and intimidating.  i need snuggles."
there is no luchadeer jerky, only ocha jerky. None the less, glad to have you with us.
MonkMorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MonkMorkins
CreamyGoodness said:
"hy4000uk said:

1UP IS DEAD

exactly who of the staff got fired. i hope the podcast dont get affected"
The podcasts are dead.  Garnett basically confirmed on his twitter that the Holiday podcast(one with the Giant Bomb crew) was the LAST 1UP Yours.  1UP Show is dead(considering all the guys who worked on it got fired).  LAN Party is dead because Tina is the only regular still left at 1UP.  1UP FM is completely dead.   Shane is gone.  I even think Garnett basically said that there will no longer be any podcasts on 1UP "video or otherwise."  1UP was basically killed by this. 

They certainly made the "good move" by spending money purchasing 1UP only to completely destroy it in a matter of hours.   /sarcasm

Nobody is left.  What the heck do they expect to come from that website when NOBODY is left? 

Not to mention as said above, Shawn Elliott says he "Hopes someone spills their guts on how horribly this whole thing went down."
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By jakob187
Fr0Br0 said:
"Jayge said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
He's back. Don't spoil it for them."
Wait, Levio is back?"
Hmm...I wonder if anyone around the forums knows if this is true or not...
...and no, it's not me...asses.
...and no, it's not me...asses.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CreamyGoodness
Thrawn said:
"rockinaway247 said:
"Hi, my name is Quinn. I was a huge fan of 1up and almost everything they did ( I was subscribed to EGM used to subscribe to GFW, listened to every podcast on there network, and visited the site on an almost daily basis. Now I have come here hoping these Giant Bomb guys will maybe pick up one or two of the people who got layed off today."

don't count on it, i'm pretty sure that they want to keep this a small operation."
i can only hope. am i the only one who likes the small and focused community here.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I for one welcome our new 1up overlords.

buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buckwatters
Jayge said:
"Welcome, one and all.

Prepare to hate me."
But , I dont hate you, is there something wrong with me?
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Axersia

I can still remember when I dropped by 1UP's GameSpot refugee thread during the Gerstmanngate period.

Unfortunately the forums just weren't for me so I quickly moved to GameTrailers, but I have been listening to 1UP's podcasts ever since. It's unfortunate so many people were fired.

Welcome guys, hope you have a good time here.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Thrawn1
CreamyGoodness said:
"Thrawn said:
"rockinaway247 said:

don't count on it, i'm pretty sure that they want to keep this a small operation."
i can only hope. am i the only one who likes the small and focused community here."

it's not that i don't want all these layed-off people to find new jobs, i just don't want GB to turn into a hugely popular website.
HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HiroSeven

The main gaming magazine I read while growing up was EGM, I didn't even know/care about any other gaming site/magazine because I trusted the content in it, much like I've come to trust GB's content. I joined GaintBomb a while before this happened but, I used to post alot of stuff on 1up... I think my boring blogs are still there lulz.

Anyhow, the name is Hiro, I used the username ryujin73 over at that site... I dont know why 73, I think it had to do with the number that I first wore when I started playing hockey, but I'm much happier with 16 atm. ;)

Great to be here... Now I'm wondering why my post count doesn't go up. T_T

-hiro

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By mike

In an effort to keep the boards somewhat readable, please continue all discussion about 1UP/EGM in the temporary sticky.

Thanks.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By jakob187
Buckwatters said:
"Jayge said:
"Welcome, one and all.

Prepare to hate me."