2 Inches of Water in my Apartment!

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Krockett

So my 2 year old daughter just flooded my apartment with 2 inches of water through the bath room main hall into the dining room. Has anything like this ever happen to anybody, if so what happens next...lol...will they kick me out/ make me pay for damages. uggg I'm so aggravated!

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro-tip, keep an eye on your 2 year old.

Seriously, get a bunch of Damprid stuff, it works wonders, that and towels. Have fun!

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well that's one security deposit down the drain!

*Ba Dum Tish*

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@modernalkemie said:

*Ba Dum Tish*

Preeeeety much.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

*Ba Dum Tish*

Looks like this guy's a little wet behind the ears when it comes to babysitting!

*Drumset explodes*

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Water you going to do?

I recommend grabbing some towels and/or a mop and start cleaning up.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see these scenes and stuff happen in tv shows, someone leaves the bath overflowing or the sink running and its all over the floor and people respond so lightheartedly. Our dishwasher was leaking last year which we did not know about for a few months, pulled up all the tiles and pretty much the whole kitchens floorboards/tiling/those cabinets needed to be replaced. At university when owning a house we had 2 showers, one was godawful in draining, turns out the pipes weren't done properly and there was a crack which was leaning, the ceiling started to slowly deform until it almost collapsed (only then would the landlord agree to fix the damn thing).

I would hate to think what 2 inches of water could do to an apartment or the people below it. Yea i think your security deposit is gone, but im sure the apartment owner has some insurance or cover for this so it shouldn't be the biggest problem. If you're a decent client of his/hers im sure they would keep you on.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

If your apartment isn't in a basement drill a hole in the floor to drain the water.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@8bit_archer:

Lots. When I was a dumb kid, then it was my parents problem. Recently I had a water heating tank burst, another time faulty plumbing (so I was able to offload all the problems and costs onto the landlord).

Depends on how fast you can clean it up and how much damage will it cause and how much seepage there was/is to the apartment below if there is one. So GTFO of the forums and drain/mop/clean that shit a faaast. Hopefully you actually already did that before posting about it here.

Repercussions depend on your landlord (if he/she even gets to know about it). Some will not care if the damage is negligible and they're nice, most will just deduct from security deposit, only a real asshole of a landlord will kick someone out straight away for one accident.

If you are in an apartment the polite thing to do is to tell your neighbors below, and ask them if they have had any visible seepage and how can you help, apologize (in extreme cases "monetary reimbursement" is not out of the question). This tends to smooth things over, keeps them from raising a fuss and complaining to the landlord, helping you on that front.

(oh yeah and until those 2 inches of water are cleaned up, it's a good idea to go around the house and turn off all the electrical shit)

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldenglishc

Don't let this experience dampen your spirit.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Krockett

@modernalkemie said:

*Ba Dum Tish*

Looks like this guy's a little wet behind the ears when it comes to babysitting!

*Drumset explodes*

Thanks for making me laugh....Seriously needed that :D

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: I seen what you did there. You cheeky bastard! :D

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Nickieroonie

It may seem bad now, but it'll all come out in the wash.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#16  Edited By tearhead

Actually, this happened to me just last October when the toilet broke overnight. Unfortunately my PS3 was on the floor that night, may it rest in peace... Our home does include apartments, but since we are the landlords, it was more us having to pay for shit we damaged.

Oh! I did live in an apartment during college where I was a rentee and the apartment above us flooded, causing some minor damage to a shelf which the landlord paid for... I don't know if any of this helps you, but best of luck, to you and your disciplined kid!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Ravenlight

@8bit_archer

: In addition to the good advice and questionable puns offered, you might also look into renting an industrial humidifier/dryer if your carpets got soaked. This will ensure that there's no chance for mold to grow in/under the carpets and further complicate things. Maybe also sit down with your daughter and go over the difference between bathtubs and pools and things to keep in mind when enjoying either of them.

Good luck, duder!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I came here thinking that "2 Inches of Water in my Apartment" was the name of a rap song.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Krockett

@8bit_archer:

Lots. When I was a dumb kid, then it was my parents problem. Recently I had a water heating tank burst, another time faulty plumbing (so I was able to offload all the problems and costs onto the landlord).

Depends on how fast you can clean it up and how much damage will it cause and how much seepage there was/is to the apartment below if there is one. So GTFO of the forums and drain/mop/clean that shit a faaast. Hopefully you actually already did that before posting about it here.

Repercussions depend on your landlord (if he/she even gets to know about it). Some will not care if the damage is negligible and they're nice, most will just deduct from security deposit, only a real asshole of a landlord will kick someone out straight away for one accident.

If you are in an apartment the polite thing to do is to tell your neighbors below, and ask them if they have had any visible seepage and how can you help, apologize (in extreme cases "monetary reimbursement" is not out of the question). This tends to smooth things over, keeps them from raising a fuss and complaining to the landlord, helping you on that front.

(oh yeah and until those 2 inches of water are cleaned up, it's a good idea to go around the house and turn off all the electrical shit)

Yeah I Already Clean it up, it looks like we caught it in enough time to not cause to much damage but prob want know for another day or two as the problems manifest. The maintenance guys used a shop-vac and both us and the apartment below us have a couple of industrial dehumidifiers through out our apartments. The Maintenance guys seem to think everything will dry out :). I gave the guys below us $40 to replace some groceries that were damage since water leaked into their cabinets. I think I may have dodged a bullet.

Me and my wife have an emergency bank account for shit like this, just hope we don't have to dip into it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

Came here suggesting a wet vac to pull the water up especially out of carpet, but it looks like you got it done. Great! But water damage can be hundreds of dollars, and stuff like floorboards curling up. You do not want that.....

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OfficeGamer

Why are you on here? Fix whatever pipe/tap is damaged/leaking and clear out the water with your family, take the carpets outside, dry off your furniture, get to work!

You're a parent, that means you're the magical problem solver, it's on you.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Krockett

@officegamer:

@tennmuerti said:

@8bit_archer:

Yeah I Already Clean it up, it looks like we caught it in enough time to not cause to much damage but prob want know for another day or two as the problems manifest. The maintenance guys used a shop-vac and both us and the apartment below us have a couple of industrial dehumidifiers through out our apartments. The Maintenance guys seem to think everything will dry out :). I gave the guys below us $40 to replace some groceries that were damage since water leaked into their cabinets. I think I may have dodged a bullet.

Me and my wife have an emergency bank account for shit like this, just hope we don't have to dip into it.

Got it man ;)

Seriously though guys I appreciate the jokes and advice...after a weird day its good to know the Duders of this worlds got my back.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

H2Ono!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@modernalkemie said:

*Ba Dum Tish*

*Drumset explodes*

Water you going to do?

Don't let this experience dampen your spirit.

Two inches of water? How arbitrary.

Loading Video...

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OfficeGamer

@8bit_archer: Oh, I'm sorry I didn't read all the posts, I imagined the water leaking as we speak and had to quickly prompt you!

Glad you got it sorted out, kinda.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@8bit_archer: At $40 thats a sweet bargain. Flooding usually costs tons of money because of the painting costs associated with it. Dodged a bullet indeed.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/28/2013 - The day Giant Bomb officially became Reddit.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

If your apartment isn't in a basement drill a hole in the floor to drain the water.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sanity

So you have floating floors in your apartment?

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maintenance guys? Dehumidifiers? It must be nice to live in an apartment building that has a landlord that knows what he/she is doing. I really need to move ._.