Edited 3 months, 7 days ago

Poll: #2: What is your favorite 'Harry Potter' FILM? (148 votes)

The Sorcerers Stone 11%
The Chamber of Secrets 7%
The Prisoner of Azkaban 43%
The Goblet of Fire 8%
The Order of the Phoenix 11%
The Half-Blood Prince 4%
The Deathly Hallows - Part One 4%
The Deathly Hallows - Part Two 10%

This thread is the promised follow-up to a thread that I made several days ago, asking what your favorite 'Harry Potter' novel is, which you can find here. As of May 12th, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban are both tied for first place, each with 24% of the vote. Chamber of Secrets is in last place with 3% of the vote.

Anyway, my favorite HP film is the Prisoner of Azkaban, it is just so odd compared to the others that I can't help but love it. My second favorite would be either Order of the Phoenix or Deathly Hallows - Part One.

I just want to add, that I think The Half-Blood Prince is ONLY good from a film-making standpoint, and that's it. It just diverted from the novel too damn much. It's a shame, since it's my favorite of the novels.

#1 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

God, everything past the first three was so bad. I was wondering how they were going to cram that much book into a 2 hour movie and they failed spectacularly. To this day people who never read the books always complain about how confusing the story is and every time my blood boils a little. "Read the books" I say. "They're really good and you never feel confused by them." The last two movies were good but more so because movies 4-6 were so bad.

#2 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

I really enjoy Deathly Hallows Part 2. I'm not the biggest fan of Harry Potter, I don't even think I've seen all the movies (if I saw them or not was usually dependent on if I was dating a lady when a new one came out!) but I do think the final film is one of the better examples of a long narrative sticking the landing.

#3 Edited by TheHT (11080 posts) -

That whole battle at the end of Order of the Phoenix was so fuckin good. It's enough for it to take the cake for me.

Prisoner of Azkaban follows pretty closely though, and then Deathly Hallows Part 2. Also, Half-Blood Prince has a few of the coolest moments in the movies: the ring of fire and both times Harry uses sectumsempra.

#4 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

The first one, because it's the first one. I lost interest starting from the second, nothing about those movies was worth it IMO, just the first because it was simple and fun.

#5 Posted by AndrewB (7564 posts) -

The first movie was the best hands down. Every movie after it (Chamber of Secrets to a much lesser extent) felt like they were gradually getting more and more rushed for time while they also still cut out gaping sections of entertaining plot. What I mean by "rushed" is that it actually seems like the actors were told to speak their lines quickly and allow no natural gaps in conversation. It's just a weird way to condense a movie.

And whoever said Goblet of Fire... man... that movie lost me from the very beginning, where the Quiddich World Cup was tossed away at "let the games begin!" It was the one part that could have taken advantage of being a visual medium, and that one section alone took up a good quarter of the book. So disappointing. If anything they could have made Goblet the two-parter and chopped the last book into one movie.

#6 Edited by Nightriff (4971 posts) -

Sorcerers stone still has that magical feeling that the others don't have, two comes close but I love the character Lockhart and the fact that he was played by Branagh made him that much better.

Worst is Azkaban, it is a terrible movie, goddamn that werewolf design...

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6399 posts) -

I most liked Goblet and I felt they did alright fitting as much as they could into the movie. Order is my least favorite, simply because they lazily handwaved half of the story via spinning newspapers... how anybody who didn't read the books was able to follow the plot from Order forward is beyond me. I don't expect the movies to be 1:1 with the books, but that movie goes at such a breakneck speed that it's just exhausting.

However, thinking further on it (dammit, I already voted), the first movie wins out. I remember being blown away at how much the sets and characters fit the images in my mind. It was obviously a labor of love from people who knew the source material well. That got lost as the series went along and they clearly didn't adhere as closely to Rowling's descriptions.

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (3056 posts) -

I liked all of them pretty equally, except for order of the phoenix. It isn't a terrible movie, but it is a terrible adaptation of the book.

#9 Edited by Aegon (5468 posts) -

Half-Blood Prince, while one of my favourite of the books, was the poorest adaptation. They focused so much of the movie on romance and cut out major and important parts. Not enough pensieve memory exploration.

#10 Edited by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@aegon: Goblet of fire was the worst.

#11 Posted by Whamola (129 posts) -

Your list doesn't have Wizard People, Dear Reader on it. Put it on the list, thanks.

#12 Posted by csl316 (8338 posts) -

I really liked Goblet of Fire, but that's just because it was my favorite book. I remember it cutting out a whole lot which bummed me out.

Haven't seen Azkaban in a while, but I remember really liking it. And Deathly Hallows pt. 2 was a solid climax to the whole thing.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

I liked Azkaban the best, because it has the most identity. The others were really straight adaptations, and I think they suffered for the lack of vision behind them. Also Time Travel! After that I'd probably say the final film, because even if it had that same problem as all the others, separating the last book into two movies at least allowed them to do a fairly accurate adaptation for once. 5 also deserves a special mention if only because it cuts out most of the extraneous bullshit from the book, which makes that story far more tolerable than it originally was.

#14 Posted by RVonE (4621 posts) -

I love The Deathly Hallows part I. It's moody and has a certain solemn end-of-days quality to it.

#15 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (642 posts) -

Either Azkaban or Deathly Hallows. Azkaban showed me the potential this series could go while Deathly Hallows meets that promise.

#16 Edited by believer258 (11771 posts) -

They cut out the Quidditch match in Goblet of Fire! What the fuck, moviemakers? What the fuck!? Clearly, that cannot be the best movie.

Deathly Hallows, probably, because they didn't try to fit a doorstopper into one 2-hour movie. Instead, they split an almost-doorstopper into two 2-hour movies and it was a much better movie because of it. And yes, I'm considering Deathly Hallows as one movie.

#17 Edited by FATMANGOBOOM (5 posts) -

For me The Order of the Phoenix was the best movie but that is only because I loved the book... what a fantastic book. Just loved how JK made you feel about Umbridge, How much she got you into the story because of her...

Just wanted to know how Harry and friends were going to bring her down... could not read fast enough.

Just look at her... SHE IS EVIL and EVIL PEOPLE SUCK...

Have to say the actress did a very good job at player her... so cheers.

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5363 posts) -

I really liked the Goblet of fire.

#19 Posted by SlashDance (1810 posts) -

Azkaban was just a cool movie. I don't particularly like Harry Potter, but I really enjoyed watching that one.

#20 Edited by dudeglove (7718 posts) -

They're all passable movies, but I wouldn't call 'em high art. No one gets enough screen time to actually shine/chew up the scenery.

#21 Posted by forkboy (1127 posts) -

Azkaban. It has Gary Oldman in it. I still haven't see the Deathly Hallows films yet though.

#22 Posted by kkotd (293 posts) -

I liked 4, even though I think they toned it down waaaay too much. Read the ending of 4, it was so visceral and bloody. And the movie was so tame and bleh. Still... It holds a certain place in my heart.

#23 Posted by stoodspoon (612 posts) -

@fatmangoboom: Oh god I hated Umbridge so much she was even worse in the book

#24 Posted by DarthOrange (3857 posts) -

Where is the "I don't give a shit about any of these movies but I want to see the results without influencing the poll" option?

#25 Edited by HatKing (5871 posts) -

Alfonso Cuaron, yo.

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12479 posts) -

Goblet of Fire was my favorite of the books, so I voted for it. I honestly don't remember much about any of them specifically. Just blurry general images like Haggar, a giant spider, a girl in a mirror, some sort of potion lady, an ugly cat, etc...

I read this morning that the actor who played one of the villains in the last few movies died yesterday (July 11).

#28 Posted by D_Mac (118 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban is the only movie that has any real cinematic presence. There's a clear style there that compliments the Potter-verse, the other films are completely bereft of style, they are too subservient to the plot, and source material, without establishing any visual interest. I liken it to drinking Bud Light with a dry-aged, poterhouse steak: you'll really appreciate the steak, sure, because the bland, tasteless Bud Light, largely stays out of the way; but, if instead you had that same steak with a well aged red wine, or an any other well matched spirit or beer, the two stark flavours intermix, complimenting eachother, creating an flavour experience that is, arguably, greater than the sum of it's parts.

#29 Posted by MocBucket62 (1180 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban is probably my favorite. I dug that whole time traveling sequence the movie had near the end and the Sirius Black storyline was pretty intriguing. Also, Haggard got a griffin, so that's always a plus!

#30 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3130 posts) -

Half Blood Prince is great.

#31 Posted by Jazz_Bcaz (252 posts) -

Azkaban is the only right answer.

#32 Posted by altor (8 posts) -

The Deathly Hallows - Part Two....

#33 Posted by Random45 (1110 posts) -

It has been years since I've seen the first six movies, so the only ones I can still recall are Deathly Hallows 1&2. I remember being extremely bored when I went to see Goblet of Fire in theaters, and I remember liking the first few a lot. I honestly don't know which one I'd say is my favorite though.

#34 Posted by Live2bRighteous (316 posts) -

I couldn't stop myself from posting this. I just couldn't.

#35 Posted by OrwellHuxZam (105 posts) -

I think Azkaban had the best look to it. It was the first time the grounds of Hogwarts were really shown off. You can't beat the mists of Scotland.

#36 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Oddly enough, I think the third film is the only one I haven't seen. I don't understand what's so great about it. I'll have to question anyone who chooses any of the movies in between that and the last one because those movies are not good at all.

The last movie's preeeetty good, you guys.

#37 Posted by meaninoflife42 (503 posts) -

For me, it's a toss-up between Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows Part 2. Azkaban has the Alfonso Cuaron style that I really like and Deathly Hallows Part 2 managed to bring so much emotion to the table.

All of these movies are great in their own way.

#38 Posted by MB (12190 posts) -

What if Hogwarts and all of the magic and everything was just a construct in Harry's mind that he created after years of systematic abuse from his foster parents in order to escape reality? I want to see a movie about that.