2010 Oscars to have 10 Best Picture nominees

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

This week the American Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences, aka the people who bring you the annual snore fest known as the Oscars announced that starting in 2010, there will be 10 nominees for Best Picture instead of five, as there has been since 1944.  The reason for the change according to the release is to offer films like The Dark Knight or other nontraditionally recognized features a chance at taking home the honor. 

At first when I heard about this change, I thought it was a cop-out by the Academy.  A change they were making so that people who normally turn off the telecast after the awards related to their personal film interests have been announced would continue to watch.  After all, once the animation and special effects awards are given out (summer blockbusters!) my interest wanes.  But, I think this is actually a good idea after all because most of us have "top ten" lists.  Film critics often publish a "10 best movies of [insert year]" because this allows greater flexibility as well as a broader variety of movies to be recommended.  I can only hope that next year, comedy will be represented since it's usually been overlooked or relegated to a "supporting actor/actress" nod.

Entertainment Weekly report.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

What 10 movies could deserve this?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

I'm gonna go ahead and take the so-called 'cynical' point of view and say this is only to increase the DVD sales of 5 extra movies a year. A "nominated for best picture" on your package certainly won't hurt sales.

And yet, and yet; fuck the Oscars.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolverine

I don't like this idea. I think the reason they are doing it is so they can put a stamp that says "Nominated for Best Picture in the Acadamy Awards" on five more movies.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
@Suicrat said:
" I'm gonna go ahead and take the so-called 'cynical' point of view and say this is only to increase the DVD sales of 5 extra movies a year. A "nominated for best picture" on your package certainly won't hurt sales.And yet, and yet; fuck the Oscars. "
unfortunately, this is very true. I will like seeing more movies get represented so there are fewer snubs (though this is probably a bad year to make the change) but having those little nomination patches is going to get annoying.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

I don't think it's necessary.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
@PenguinDust said:
" This week the American Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences, aka the people who bring you the annual snore fest known as the Oscars announced that starting in 2010, there will be 10 nominees for Best Picture instead of five, as there has been since 1944.  The reason for the change according to the release is to offer films like The Dark Knight or other nontraditionally recognized features a chance at taking home the honor. 

At first when I heard about this change, I thought it was a cop-out by the Academy.  A change they were making so that people who normally turn off the telecast after the awards related to their personal film interests have been announced would continue to watch.  After all, once the animation and special effects awards are given out (summer blockbusters!) my interest wanes.  But, I think this is actually a good idea after all because most of us have "top ten" lists.  Film critics often publish a "10 best movies of [insert year]" because this allows greater flexibility as well as a broader variety of movies to be recommended.  I can only hope that next year, comedy will be represented since it's usually been overlooked or relegated to a "supporting actor/actress" nod.

Entertainment Weekly report. "
I think you're right that it's just appealing to a broader audience. It won't improve their chances. If they're not in the top 5, then they're not going to be number one. Unless the final voting is really just random selection. Then their reasoning works. Argh!! This really bugs me because I'm one of the people who actually watches, and enjoys those nominated movies that no one else cares about. The whole point of the show is to pick the BEST films, not the most popular. If you want to see a big summer blockbuster get nominated for best picture, go watch the MTV awards, or the people's choice awards or whatever.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ververdan0226
@Black_Rose said:
" I don't think it's necessary. "
Isn't that what they had back in the 1920's when the Academy first started giving out Awards? Anyway, giving out ten awards make more people happy, but it also leaves more people sad when they don't get an award. Five is the right number. If you can't narrow it down to five top films, that's just sad on the part of the Academy. It gives too many choices to the voters in the various guilds and would leave the awards divided. Five is a strong number to have for core Best Picture films.

And if the Academy feels the need to recognize films like The Dark Knight, they should not have to extend the awards to do so. If its that great a film, and it really is, then it should be recognized for that and voted into the top five on its own merits like it probably deserves. At least that's what I think.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yeah it reminds me of sport organizations having more events. They hope more stuff = more money overall, even if having more diminishes the overall quality.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Tireyo

10 instead of 5 nominees.  I guess they are getting bored or want the Oscars event to be longer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust
@Tireyo643 said:
" 10 instead of 5 nominees.  I guess they are getting bored or want the Oscars event to be longer. "
Oh my goodness, that didn't occur to me!  Oh no, I recant what I said earlier.  If more nominees means a longer telecast then I am definitely against it.  The damned show is three + hours as is, if this extends the affair...ugh, now I feel ill.  But, if they promise to keep it short (play'em off keyboard cat!) then I am still okay with it. 

I don't think it matters if some movies get to say "nominated for best picture" on their DVD boxes, because chances are they would say something similar like "two thumbs up" or whatever anyway.  And, if it helps some smaller films get more recognition, I think that's a good thing.  However, as I stated above, it's probably so well deserving popular movies get to take a bow.  Like it or not, 9 times out of 10, comedies, musicals, and animated films don't get invited to the big show because that is reserved for "serious art."  This wasn't always true, but it seems to be the mind set of the Academy voters these days.  It's not as if the "serious" dramatic films won't be nominated, nor are those types of films likely to lose any votes, after all this is still the same voting group that was around when there were just 5 nominees.  So what's the big change?  More names are read, more actors walk on stage to prattle praise, and a few more people wish the one guy or girl was dead by the end of the evening.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

There aren't that many good movies anymore.

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bob_Toeback

Shouldn't they make it ten nominations if ten deserve it? instead of jumping the gun and saying "there WILL be ten good movies this year" but even then they should be able to narrow it down...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

The Dark Knight surely would have been included if they did this last year

I can't help but think how fucking long the oscars will be now because of this. 
Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Log

They shouldve just not been dickheads and put The Dark Knight in anyway although I dont think it would deserve a win over the movies it was up against. Then again I dont think Slumdog shouldve won Best Picture either.

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By XaiaX

Well, it should've at least knocked Benjamin Button out. It was good as a warped alteration of Forrest Gump, but not "Best Picture" good.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64

I heard about that.  That's crazy.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LeoMinor
@Wolverine said:
" I don't like this idea. I think the reason they are doing it is so they can put a stamp that says "Nominated for Best Picture in the Acadamy Awards" on five more movies. "
My thoughts exactly.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90

This change ultimately makes the Oscar more intriguing and it opens room for other movie genres such as action , teen , comedy .....  to be nominated more often  (X-men origins :Wolverine for example ?) .

Leopard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Leopard
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine
@daniel_beck_90 said:
" This change ultimately makes the Oscar more intriguing and it opens room for other movie genres such as action , teen , comedy .....  to be nominated more often  (X-men origins :Wolverine for example ?) . "
No it doesn't. If a action, teen, or comedy movie had a chance to win the oscars one of them would at least be nominated by now. What's going to happen is five more movies that nobody watches are going to be nominated. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

This is okay with me. I'm mostly more acceptable of it because it used to have 10 nominees before but then they cut it down to 5. I think it's fine to get more good movies recognized.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

UP has really been the only good movie released this year.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Tireyo
@PenguinDust said:
" @Tireyo643 said:
" 10 instead of 5 nominees.  I guess they are getting bored or want the Oscars event to be longer. "
Oh my goodness, that didn't occur to me!  Oh no, I recant what I said earlier.  If more nominees means a longer telecast then I am definitely against it.  The damned show is three + hours as is, if this extends the affair...ugh, now I feel ill.  But, if they promise to keep it short (play'em off keyboard cat!) then I am still okay with it.  I don't think it matters if some movies get to say "nominated for best picture" on their DVD boxes, because chances are they would say something similar like "two thumbs up" or whatever anyway.  And, if it helps some smaller films get more recognition, I think that's a good thing.  However, as I stated above, it's probably so well deserving popular movies get to take a bow.  Like it or not, 9 times out of 10, comedies, musicals, and animated films don't get invited to the big show because that is reserved for "serious art."  This wasn't always true, but it seems to be the mind set of the Academy voters these days.  It's not as if the "serious" dramatic films won't be nominated, nor are those types of films likely to lose any votes, after all this is still the same voting group that was around when there were just 5 nominees.  So what's the big change?  More names are read, more actors walk on stage to prattle praise, and a few more people wish the one guy or girl was dead by the end of the evening. "
LOL! They will have to be quick on introducing all 10 nominees!  And what you said in the last two sentences is so true and priceless! :D
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daniel_beck_90
@Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
" This change ultimately makes the Oscar more intriguing and it opens room for other movie genres such as action , teen , comedy .....  to be nominated more often  (X-men origins :Wolverine for example ?) . "
No it doesn't. If a action, teen, or comedy movie had a chance to win the oscars one of them would at least be nominated by now. What's going to happen is five more movies that nobody watches are going to be nominated. 
"

Precisely.. one of the big problems with the Academy Award is the fact that they do not nominate more popular movies !!!

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By C0V3RT

I liked The Wrestler more then I did Benjamin Button and it didn't even get nominated.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daniel_beck_90
@C0V3RT said:
" I liked The Wrestler more then I did Benjamin Button and it didn't even get nominated. "
Do not forget about Slumdog millionaire . I was bored 15 minutes through the movie .
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By teh_destroyer

I think its way to early to be making decisions on this already >_>

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine
@daniel_beck_90 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
"

Precisely.. one of the big problems with the Academy Award is the fact that they do not nominate more popular movies !!!

"
Exactly, and that is why their ratings go down significantly every single year!
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daniel_beck_90
@Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
"

"
"
 Hope they change their judges and replace them with younger ones .

By the way I just recalled that Juno (Teen Genre ) which is about teen pregnancy  was actually nominated back in 2007 but that is about it .

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wolverine
@daniel_beck_90 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @daniel_beck_90 said:
"

"
"
 Hope they change their judges and replace them with younger ones .

By the way I just recalled that Juno (Teen Genre ) which is about teen pregnancy  was actually nominated back in 2007 but that is about it .

"
I also liked it when Babel and Little Miss Sunshine were nominated years back but neither of them won.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By daniel_beck_90
@Wolverine said:

I also liked it when Babel and Little Miss Sunshine were nominated years back but neither of them won.
"
Yeah those were also nominated .
I hope they nominate better movies this year , so far I believe X-men Origins :wolverine deserves best visual effects or something .
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Wait a second here- wasn't the problem more about what films they nominated before Batman as opposed to just Batman not being nominated?

Like for real, It is almost getting to the point where when it comes to the Oscars, being a ground-breaking film isn't as important as being a self-rightous film set in Victorian England or something. 

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine
@daniel_beck_90 said:
" @Wolverine said:

"
Yeah those were also nominated . I hope they nominate better movies this year , so far I believe X-men Origins :wolverine deserves best visual effects or something . "
As you can probably tell by my name I would have no problem with that. :)
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By TheKidNixon
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" Wait a second here- wasn't the problem more about what films they nominated before Batman as opposed to just Batman not being nominated?
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think the people who took it personally that Dark Knight wasn't nominated really couldn't have been placated, because they had already convinced themselves it was the best film ever made.

In regards to this...well, it doesn't really solve the problem, now does it? I suppose it does give more films a "chance," seeing how they actually will voted on by the academy, but it also hurts those exact same films chances of getting the actual award. And those same people who get all wiggy about nominating a superhero movie for best picture probably are of the same mindset as the vast majority of those who do the nominating in the first place. So you have the hollow victory of Dark Knight being named one of the ten best films of the year, only to get angry when something else still wins instead.

Really though, getting bent out of shape about the Oscars is really pretty silly. Do people really need to have their own opinions to be validated by a faceless organization?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ninjakiller

And still I couldn't give a shit less about the Oscars.