#1 Edited by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Here are the Oscar nominees for 2012 ----> http://oscar.go.com/nominees

It appears to be a relatively weak class in Best Picture this year.

- Hugo

- Midnight in Paris

- Moneyball

- The Tree of Life

- War Horse

- The Artist

- The Descendants

- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

- The Help

How did Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close even get nominated? That movie JUST came out and reviewed pretty poorly. Makes absolutely no sense. Why not let a better movie in, like Drive? War Horse is a head-scratcher too. I thought that movie got a generally lukewarm reception. Personally I'm pulling for Moneyball, that was a fantastic movie. Hugo was really good but I don't think it's Best Picture. I do wish Sasha Cohen got nominated for his role in that movie, he was awesome. I do need to see a couple of those still like The Artist and The Descendants.

Other nominees I'm interested in;

Best Actress in a Leading Role

- Rooney Mara for The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo

She carried that movie big time. One of the best method acting jobs I've seen in the past couple of years.

Actor in a Supporting Role

- Nick Nolte for Warrior

- Jonah Hill for Moneyball

YES to both of these. Nick Nolte put on an absolutely scorching performance in Warrior. Jonah Hill gave one of the better subdued performances I had seen in a while. Just acted like that person would in real life, no less...no more. Just perfect.

Visual Effects

- Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This should be a no-brainer.

Music (Original Song)

- "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets

Holy shit please let this win. What an amazing and hilarious song. Written by one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords. It's only one of two songs nominated so chances are good.

Anyone here have any thoughts on the nominees?

#2 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

The only Best Picture nominee I've seen is Tree of Life, but the love for Hugo is great. Scorsese is a great filmmaker. Overall, I'm not that interested in the Oscars this year, probably for the same reason I didn't see most of the nominees. I just wasn't interested in the films that came out this year.

#3 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees this year, and I don't plan on watching any of them except maybe Moneyball. Also, Drive should have received more recognition than just one nomination for sound editing.

#4 Posted by MetalBaofu (1352 posts) -

Moneyball and Hugo might be the only ones of those I ever watch....maybe War Horse too. I haven't seen any of them, yet.

#5 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I'm pretty pleased with the nominations, many great films and performances got nods. I haven't seen Extremely Loud so I can't comment on the hate for it.

Also I don't think Drive was a must for the nominations. I was a fine filmm, my favorite of the year actually, but there were much better movies like Tree of Life and A Separation.

#6 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

As usual the best films don't even get nominated, the reasonably good to average films dominate, and the out right crap, Extremely Loud, thrives.

#7 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

Hardly anything for "The Adventures of Tintin", though.

#8 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

It was a pretty meh movie though, wasn't it? I mean some of the set pieces were fun and had some life, but Tin Tin is SUUUUCH a boring character, and overall it's not as much fun as any of the original Indy flicks.

#9 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

@Sarnecki: Just out of curiosity, what do you consider the "best" films?

#10 Posted by TheFakePsychic (189 posts) -

I will admit to being interested in seeing The Artist (living in the middle-of-nowhere, TN means the movie theater didn't even get it in the first place, the same theater that had The Blind Side for nearly a year.), but other than that, mostly I just watch the Oscars for the animated category. Rooting for A Cat in Paris, for the record.

#11 Posted by Redbullet685 (6027 posts) -

Haven't seen any of those movies in the running for Best Picture. Looks like I won't be watching this year.

#12 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

@Black_Rose:Drive, Meek's Cutoff, Weekend, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 50/50, Warrior, Take Shelter, Certified Copy, Melancholia, ATTACK THE BLOCK, ATTACK THE BLOCK, ATTACK THE BLOCK, 13 Assassins, Beginners, Rubber, Young Adult, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, My Week With Marilyn, Shame, The Cave Of Forgotten Dreams, Captain America, Hana... So yeah. Too many to mention that deserve nods more than some of the noms.

#13 Posted by DeviTiffany (416 posts) -

I'm sad TinTin didn't nominated for Best Animated Picture. I hope Rango wins, but I know it won't. I also hope Rooney Mara wins for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo because she was fantastic in that, probably my favorite performance of the year.

Also is kinda sad to think about that we now live in a world where every trailer he's in will say Academy Award Nominee Jonah Hill.

#14 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Albert Brooks deserved a nod. He played such a great slimeball in Drive. That scene with Bryan Cranston-I'm sure those who've seen the film know which one I'm talking about- was incredible.

Love seeing Rooney Mara just in general. She's a lady....

#15 Edited by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Sarnecki said:

@Black_Rose:Drive, Meek's Cutoff, Weekend, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 50/50, Warrior, Take Shelter, Certified Copy, Melancholia, ATTACK THE BLOCK, ATTACK THE BLOCK, ATTACK THE BLOCK, 13 Assassins, Beginners, Rubber, Young Adult, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, My Week With Marilyn, Shame, The Cave Of Forgotten Dreams, Captain America, Hana... So yeah. Too many to mention that deserve nods more than some of the noms.

While both 13 Assassins and Attack the Block were some of my personal absolute favorites this year, they aren't the kind of movies the Oscars are in the business of nominating. The Academy tends to have a taste that's generally kind of just...bland. Safe, let's say. I'm hoping sometime in the near future there is some kind of turnover in the voting committee that makes them a little more current.

(also 13 Assassins came out in 2010 and never saw a US theater release outside of film festivals)

#16 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

@Mahonay: I know. You can set your watch to Academy voters. It's why Kings Speech was designed in a lab to win Oscars. My point is that amazing films that are usually much better than the Oscar noms always exist.

#17 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

The Artist is going to win because Its French.

It sucks that there wasn't anyting more for Drive, I was hoping for a nod for Gosling and something more for Tree of Life. I'm going to see A Separation this weekend, hope its good. Nothing for Kirsten Dunst or Melecholia, nothing for Ashely Olsen. :(

Oh! Nothing for Fassbender for Shame, was a disgrace, his performance was memorizing.

#18 Posted by NTM (7269 posts) -

Not only could you mention that they have some weird choices, but also they're short one. They only selected nine films out of a ten possible choices. So I guess they thought only nine of these films were the only stand out movies of the year, or something is wrong.

#19 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

What. The lack of Drive makes me sad.

How dour, Hollywood.

#20 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@N7 said:

What. The lack of Drive makes me sad. How dour, Hollywood.

I've heard.. rumors..that you like this movie.

#21 Posted by me3639 (1728 posts) -

Its become the norm that hardly anyone has seen any of the nominations. That makes most of the films which are supposed to be unforgettable, easily forgettable. 

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -

@DeviTiffany said:

I'm sad TinTin didn't nominated for Best Animated Picture. I hope Rango wins, but I know it won't...

It's been discussed a few times over on Screened, but I don't think Tin Tin meets the revised eligibility requirements for an animated film due to its heavy reliance on performance capture technology. Just as through the rest of society, changes in technology have upset traditional definitions. Originally, a animated movie was ink and paint on cels then it moved to CG manipulated wire-mesh and textures. A talented and trained animator was required to bring motion to the static. However, with motion-capture technology, filmmakers can just have real actors take that role and their movements and actions can be imported to the CG models. Obviously, someone still needs to make the process run smoothly as well as create the settings and objects that surround the players, but - at least, I suspect - Oscar doesn't think that fits their definition enough.

As these new technologies become more accepted, we might see some compromises, but for now that's the way things will be. I was quite amused by the push to have Andy Serkis nominated for a Best Acting award for his role as Caesar in the new Planet of the Apes movie. The Academy is not going to nominate someone whose physical body in never actually on screen.

#23 Edited by N7 (3573 posts) -
@Swoxx said:

@N7 said:

What. The lack of Drive makes me sad. How dour, Hollywood.

I've heard.. rumors..that you like this movie.

Yeah, it was a pretty good movie.

It was a very subtle thing, really. It was in the little details that made the movie shine, not the fact that da herru cums in and suvs dadoooooo derdaderrrrrr like most other movies. And that soundtrack, good lord.

Also the way Ryan Gosling did his lines in a half-key, off-center way. His crooked cowboy smiles brought a lot to the movie. I seriously doubt it could have been anything like itself had another actor replaced him. He brought such a passionate intensity to it that leaves you writhing in shock by how much personality and charisma he exudes into the camera. It's almost spiritual. Like his very existence somehow calms you to the core, letting you know that, yes, things are going to be rough, but everything's going to be alright. You don't know why, but you know you can trust him.

It's like that, the director managed to open a warphole into another dimension where this character was a living, breathing human being, and filmed him throughout his escapades. It was so real, so human, that the very nature of the film was a shock to the senses. The visuals, the audio, everything was this orgasmic collaboration of sensory overload and nirvana.

Nicolas Winding Refn is a genius. Drive is a masterpiece. Ryan Gosling is exuberant. And Albert Brooks is perfect.
#24 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@NTM They changed how many films can be nominated this year (again). There is a minimum of five and a maximum of ten films that can be nominated for Best Picture, and to be nominated a film has to receive a certain percentage of first place votes (Wikipedia says it's 5%). So what happened is that only nine films met that qualification. But really, you don't need more than five nominees for Best Picture because there are only five nominees for Best Director, and the vast majority of films that have won Best Picture have also won Best Director. So in reality, only five of the nine nominees (Midnight in Paris, The Artist, Hugo, The Descendants, and The Tree of Life) have any chance at winning.

#25 Posted by Ghostiet (5227 posts) -

No Drive, no Melancholia, but that glurge-fest about 9/11 gets a Best Picture nomination. Baffling. I don't care about Metacritic scores, you know, but if your film gets a 44/100 and 50% on Rotten Tomatoes, I'd say it probably is a piece of shit.

#26 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Woah, I haven't seen a single movie in most of the categories.

#27 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

Of the best picture noms, who wants to take the cake? I'm pushing for Midnight In Paris.

#28 Posted by DeadpoolSkye (14 posts) -

Nothing big for Tintin, Drive, or 50/50. That makes me an upset camper.

#29 Posted by L44 (552 posts) -

Never thought much of the Oscars. War Horse was terrible. I'm dissapointed at the exclusion of Melancholia, especially in cinematography.

#30 Posted by yoshisaur (2661 posts) -

The Oscars have always mean't so little to me. I never understand how some of those movies are heralded but than again I am just too casual of a movie-watcher to really see all these subtleties of the industry. As far as I am concerned, if the acting and the directing were good enough to have me enjoy the 2 hour length of the film, it deserves a reward. I still don't think Fantasy/Sci-Fi get's the recognition it deserves.

#31 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Sarnecki said:

Of the best picture noms, who wants to take the cake? I'm pushing for Midnight In Paris.

I think The Artist is going to win this year. Just feels that way.

#32 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I'm pissed that Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo isn't nominated for best picture considering what else is up for it

#33 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

With the exception of Planet of Apes, I haven't seen any of this movies.

I suck.

#34 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

I'm pissed that Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo isn't nominated for best picture considering what else is up for it

It was a great crime drama but Best Picture? As dark and intense that movie got it still kind of went at even pace the entire time. It was a pretty straightforward piece of moving making. Not really an Oscar movie in my opinion.

Yes Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is an absolutely bizarre inclusion but I don't that means every half decent movie should have been thrown in there as well.

#35 Posted by UlquioKani (1029 posts) -

Everyone seems to have forgotten Source Code.

#36 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

It'd be awesome if the Artist won. A silent B&W movie winning Best Picture?

If not that then Hugo. As long as it's not Extremely Loud..., Midnight in Paris or the Help I'm happy

#37 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I want Real Steel to win Best Visual Effects because i really, really loved Real Steel. Oh, c'mon! It was pretty awesome!

#38 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@UlquioKani said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten Source Code.

I didn't forget that movie at all

I loved that movie. It was fun and an awesome sci-fi movie with an interesting concept, but it was also kind of hokey.

#39 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

The Artist is lovely and everything and I enjoyed it, but really does it deserve best picture? Really? It's a sweet dime a dozen love story with a gimmick.

#40 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Sarnecki said:

The Artist is lovely and everything and I enjoyed it, but really does it deserve best picture? Really? It's a sweet dime a dozen love story with a gimmick.

It's simply the movie that's drumming up the most hype.

#41 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

@Mahonay: According to whom? Variety? The Academy voters? Your circle of friends? From my perspective the front runner is a pretty split race.

#42 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Sarnecki said:

@Mahonay: According to whom? Variety? The Academy voters? Your circle of friends? From my perspective the front runner is a pretty split race.

According to a couple of hobos I befriended near the park here. The Artist has the hobo vote. Only vote that really matters when you think about it.

#43 Posted by Milkman (16535 posts) -

@Sarnecki said:

Most people. The Artist is the clear cut favorite.

Also, guys, Screened exists for a reason. Let's use that.

#44 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@Sarnecki said:

Most people. The Artist is the clear cut favorite.

Also, guys, Screened exists for a reason. Let's use that.

That would require me to not be lazy and load another website.

#45 Posted by mordukai (7138 posts) -

@Dany said:

The Artist is going to win because Its French.

It sucks that there wasn't anyting more for Drive, I was hoping for a nod for Gosling and something more for Tree of Life. I'm going to see A Separation this weekend, hope its good. Nothing for Kirsten Dunst or Melecholia, nothing for Ashely Olsen. :(

Oh! Nothing for Fassbender for Shame, was a disgrace, his performance was memorizing.

The Artist is going to win because it's an amazing movie. However, it's nothing new that academy snubs a lot of movies and performance as to examples to why oh why did they not nominate Senna for an award.

Personally I am happy to see Gary Oldman getting a nomination for his performance in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

#46 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I'm pretty sure The Artist with take it. I still need to watch it so I can see just how great it is.

#47 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

The Artist is really good but it drags quite a bit in the middle.

#48 Posted by VisceralWhimsy (55 posts) -

I am so excited by all the buzz for the Artist. Heard a lot of great things about Drive, especially the soundtrack. Shame it's being snubbed, essentially. Also hoping Andy Serkis gets major props for his role as Caesar in Rise. That man is a motion capture genius.

#49 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is embarrassingly bad. Like Crash bad.