RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By RageGummy

Evening Bombers

I have always wanted to run a marathon, but have never got around to it. I'm not getting any younger either and at the succulent age of 25, I thought it should be a good time to get it done. I want to take suggestions from the GB community on anything from training or who I should run for, because why should I run 26 mile for no reason. Lets make money for charity!

So I have a year and a half before the 2014 marathon (I'm not going to even dare attempt to be ready for the 2013 marathon in march) so by then I need to find a charity and get fit along the way. The idea so far is to find a charity then set up and Just Giving page as well as a web page with more info. Plus to anyone who donates £1/$1 can add a song to the playlist I will be running too (I'm going to need four and a half hours of music)

Over the year I expect the plan to change so this is just a rough draft. I'm even open to running it dressed as a gaming character.

So please, throw questions and suggestions at me and lets talk about it, lit by computer screen light.

Regards

Scotty

P.S The Math

26.2 miles = 42.2 Km, an average 4.5 hour time would need me to run at 1 mile every 11 minutes with time to spare.

RageGummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RageGummy

Evening Bombers

I have always wanted to run a marathon, but have never got around to it. I'm not getting any younger either and at the succulent age of 25, I thought it should be a good time to get it done. I want to take suggestions from the GB community on anything from training or who I should run for, because why should I run 26 mile for no reason. Lets make money for charity!

So I have a year and a half before the 2014 marathon (I'm not going to even dare attempt to be ready for the 2013 marathon in march) so by then I need to find a charity and get fit along the way. The idea so far is to find a charity then set up and Just Giving page as well as a web page with more info. Plus to anyone who donates £1/$1 can add a song to the playlist I will be running too (I'm going to need four and a half hours of music)

Over the year I expect the plan to change so this is just a rough draft. I'm even open to running it dressed as a gaming character.

So please, throw questions and suggestions at me and lets talk about it, lit by computer screen light.

Regards

Scotty

P.S The Math

26.2 miles = 42.2 Km, an average 4.5 hour time would need me to run at 1 mile every 11 minutes with time to spare.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir

My brother recently ran his first half marathon in 2 hours after 4 months of regular training. He'd been running on and off before that. His whole lifestyle has now changed because of it and he plans on continuing with it for as long as he can. Good luck on your marathon! I've never done it myself, but I'd imagine it to be one of the most physically gruelling task a person could undertake as well as one of the most rewarding.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Good luck. Don't shit yourself or have a heart attack.

Avatar image for eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys
Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey man, that's a huge commitment and an impressive one. First of all good luck with your training. Have you done any sort of distance running before? My suggestion for the finish would be the theme song from 28 days later by john murphy aka in the house - in a heartbeat, imagine it's do or die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have a friend who ran a marathon, this was hit training set up about 4 months before a marathon. Well, it's something like this:

Month 1 - First 2 weeks, run 2 miles every day except weekends. 2nd 2 weeks, run 3 miles everyday except weekends.

Month 2 - Run 4 miles everyday, except weekends.

Month 3 - Run 4-5 miles everyday, except weekends.

Month 4 - First week, run 6 miles everyday, except weekends. Second week, run 8 miles everyday except weekends. Third week, run 10 miles every other day, except weekends. Fourth week, run 1-2 miles everyday.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

I've run 4 marathons. I'll be running my fifth next week. You've got tons of time, so don't even worry about being ready. I'd recommend you take it nice and slow. Run a few miles every day for the next few months, and work your way up to ten. I think you ought to consider signing up for a half marathon next year, and make that your first target.

Marathons are fun. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's a joy accomplish something so great.

Good luck!

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Stete

@ShadowConqueror said:

Good luck. Don't shit yourself or have a heart attack.

This is some of the best advice one can get. Not just for marathons, but for every facet of life. From this point on, this will be the first words in my head every time I set upon a great endeavor. Nolite cacas te aut cor habere in impetum.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I have ran 2 marathons so far, probably my third next may. Some suggestions would be for you to start running every day until you get comfortable with running 6-8 miles a day. Then I would recommend pacing out your weeks to do long runs like start with 12 miles then increase by one mile until you get to like 25 then taper down for the next 2-3 weeks until you get to the day of the marathon. Training like this will help prevent injuries. As someone who knows the pain you will be feeling soon, good luck and have fun!