2D Graphics are Amazing.

TheVatican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheVatican

I've been pondering this for a while, and a commentor on my last post really brought this up to the front of my mind (Thanks Icemael). And what it is is this:

2D Graphics are beautiful.

Take Super Metroid for instance. The mood and atmosphere that game creates is simply incredible, and all for a SuperNES game. Megaman games also look really good to me, along with almost every single 2D Mario game.

New games can also recapture this look as well. Take Street Fighter IV, which, in my opinion, looks like one of the best games this generation. Its look, while 2D, looks simply astounding and breathtaking. New Super Mario Bros. is another good example, as its 3D graphics on a 2D plane really advance that genre.

I think there is still a place for 2D games in today's market. The PSN Store and Xbox Live Arcade has really opened up a space for developers to take advantage of somewhat simplified graphics. Bionic Commando Rearmed is also a great example of how a 2D game should look.

How do you guys feel about 2D games? comments appreciated!

TheVatican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheVatican

I've been pondering this for a while, and a commentor on my last post really brought this up to the front of my mind (Thanks Icemael). And what it is is this:

2D Graphics are beautiful.

Take Super Metroid for instance. The mood and atmosphere that game creates is simply incredible, and all for a SuperNES game. Megaman games also look really good to me, along with almost every single 2D Mario game.

New games can also recapture this look as well. Take Street Fighter IV, which, in my opinion, looks like one of the best games this generation. Its look, while 2D, looks simply astounding and breathtaking. New Super Mario Bros. is another good example, as its 3D graphics on a 2D plane really advance that genre.

I think there is still a place for 2D games in today's market. The PSN Store and Xbox Live Arcade has really opened up a space for developers to take advantage of somewhat simplified graphics. Bionic Commando Rearmed is also a great example of how a 2D game should look.

How do you guys feel about 2D games? comments appreciated!

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RetroIce4

Same as you. 2d games can still be great or 2.5 games. Like little big planet.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3  Edited By joey

Yoshi's Island is a good example for a beautiful 2D game.

No Caption Provided

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail
joey said:
"Yoshi's Island is a good example for a beautiful 2D game.

No Caption Provided

"
Aye, there is some point in art style that 3D games cannot achieve (and vice-versa).
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gunswordfist

2D games are the greatest. They can be very beautiful. I can't wait to get my hands on Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid HD and Mega Man 9.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai

My list of favorite games of all-time are still dominated by 2D games, Super Metroid included.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gunswordfist
Snail said:
"joey said:
"Yoshi's Island is a good example for a beautiful 2D game.

No Caption Provided

"
Aye, there is some point in art style that 3D games cannot achieve (and vice-versa)."

Yeah Yoshi's Island is so beautfiul. They say it's the best looking SNES game.