vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vg132

Hi,

I will arrive in Chicago on a Saturday in June and my work stuff wont begin until Thursday and having been to Chicago allot the last couple of years I don't want to spend my time there and is instead looking for a road trip but have no idea of where to go, east, west, north or south? I'm not looking for much, just to spend some time on the road and enjoy the scenery.

Any ideas for a 4 day road trip (places to visit) with 5-6 hour driving/day would be very much appreciated.

I have already been to Niagara otherwise that would have be a perfect trip.

/Viktor

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a bit biased, but Michigan (my home state) has a lot of great scenery if that's what you're looking for. Mackinaw Island is pretty popular but if you really want to go off the beaten path the Upper Peninsula has lots to do. I can give you more specific stuff if you're interested.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nashville, day trip to Milwaukee, Upper Peninsula, New York City, Washington DC, Go see Mt. Rushmore. The last few you might have to push a little bit, but there is some nice scenery on the way and you have a goal.

You could just travel some of route 66 and see all the cool stuff.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By davidh219

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. You should really go to House on the Rock. It's in Wisconsin, and it's about a four hour drive from Chicago. Not exactly a long road trip, but you could do it on your last day before work or something. I remember enjoying the scenery on the way to and from, for what it is. Lots of pretty farmland and wide open plains, and small antiquated towns that look like they came straight from the 1800s.

But anyway, House on the Rock itself is basically just some rich dude who is now dead decided to build the biggest collection of weird shit ever. There are tons of incredibly large collections; doll houses, suits of armor, old toys, instruments, newspapers from world war 2, etc. So it's half museum, I guess, and the enormity of the collections and the way they're presented put the actual museums in Chicago to shame. I went to the field museum for the first time since I was little a year after going to House on the Rock, and it was the biggest disappointment ever.

The other half is stuff he had constructed by an army of workers and artists. A sculpture of a whale and a fisherman in a paddling boat both cresting a huge wave that takes up an entire two story room. The world's largest carousel. This thing called the infinity room which juts out the side of a cliff over tall trees and gets narrower as you walk down it so that it looks like it goes on forever. A small recreation of a Victorian-era street indoors. There are multiple Japanese gardens and they are all gorgeous. It's all stitched together in a haphazard fashion which, combined with the sheer enormity of it, makes you feel like you're walking through some crazy fever dream.

One of the coolest places I've ever been. I can see myself going back there every few years for the rest of my life.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@davidh219: I live in Illinois and some co-workers recommended that place after they went last summer. I was actually thinking about taking a trip by myself somewhere soon, and Wisconsin was pretty high on the list. It's always been just a short drive away, but I've never actually been there. Now you've pretty much sold me on House on the Rock. I think I'm going to start planning this trip now.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By davidh219

@hatking said:

@davidh219: I live in Illinois and some co-workers recommended that place after they went last summer. I was actually thinking about taking a trip by myself somewhere soon, and Wisconsin was pretty high on the list. It's always been just a short drive away, but I've never actually been there. Now you've pretty much sold me on House on the Rock. I think I'm going to start planning this trip now.

You won't regret it. Go eat at Bob's Bitchin' BBQ while you're there. It's right by the House on the Rock hotel. Great food. Amazing guacamole. =)