Posted by DarthOrange (4094 posts) -

These are eight of the greatest television shows that you will ever watch. While they are not the only great shows out there these are my personal favorites and I recommend you check them all out. With the exception of Regular Show and Dan Vs, these shows are all available on Netflix streaming. In the case of both Regular Show and Dan Vs, tracking down full episodes on YouTube isn't too tough and they can be seen on cable (if you have it). 

The Twilight Zone (Original Series)

Talking Tina don't play that!

This show is a classic for a reason. While it may be in black and white, the stories told remain as interesting and engaging as when they were first released. It is astounding how many other forms of media have taken inspiration by the content of this show. One of the biggest causes of complaint from people is that the world no longer has original ideas. The primary reason for this is because this show took most of them. Not only is the premise of each episode interesting but the execution of each episode is handled with such care that it really feels like the people making this show gave it all their effort every single time. Rod Serling's is an excellent story teller who set standards for TV most show still can't live up to.

Regular Show

Ohhhhhhhh!

Cartoons are pretty awesome in general. What makes Regular Show stand out above the crowd is how related the characters are. Despite being different kinds of animals and object, they are all presented in a very human way and it is easy to find a character that you relate to and that reminds you of other people. The episodes always begin grounded in reality before jumping off into the fantastical due to some regular everyday problem. This grounding in reality and the realism of the characters makes the strange larger then life out of this world situations that much more fun to go through with the characters.

Drawn Together

Cancelled in their prime.

Adult cartoons filled with vulgar language and obscenities are a dime a dozen. Drawn Together was special though. The idea was simple. Bring together a group of different cartoon character parodies and have them live in the same house like a reality TV show. Each episode would take on two plots and the episode would revolve around whatever shenanigan the characters were going through at the moment. The thing that made Drawn Together special was that they held nothing sacred. They did not exclude anyone from their parody, and it is guaranteed that at least one episode will strike a nerve with you as being insensitive. However, in doing so they help loosen you up and help you realize that their is no real harm done. Some of you bombers can stand to loosen up and realize that words only hurt you if you let them. And it is just funny as hell on top of all that.

Breaking Bad

Follow the monies

This show is pretty damn popular with the Giant Bomb community but if for some reason you still haven't checked it out you should do so now! The plight of the chemistry teacher turned drug dealer is one filled with humor, drama and the occasional action scene. The arcs that the characters go through are nice to follow and it is interesting to see how the characters who become likable and who you start rooting for changes as the show progresses. This show was good enough to warrant the Giant Bomb making a parody of the title for one of their premium shows. If you aren't going to take it from me then take it from them, you should go watch this show.

Dan Vs.

No means no Mr. Salvation Army!

Once again, grounding the characters and story in reality makes the fantastical cartoon shenanigans so much more fun. In Dan Vs we have a character of Dan who over reacts and seeks revenge for the little everyday things that piss us off. The episode starts normal enough and goes off the rails goofy by the end of it. It is a nice light-hearted cartoon with the voice of Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge of the Nerds) really bringing the character of Dan to life. This is good old fashion family friendly TV that just about anyone can enjoy.

American Horror Story

It's exactly what it looks like.

If you are even remotely into horror then this show is right up your ally. American Horror Story is kind of like a horror version of The Twilight Zone, except instead of the story lasting one episode each story lasts one season. While it may not bring anything unique to the table what it does do is bring together several different horror types which makes it like nothing else out there. While the first season dealt with the issue of infidelity and featured such horror staples as the haunted house, the Black Dahlia and ghosts the second season deals with the issue of sanity and features such classic horror tropes as a masked murder, being possessed by the devil and aliens among other things. For all you lovers of horror, you should check out this show which is basically an homage to the genre.

The Walking Dead

Why hello good sir!

Zombies are still pretty awesome. While it may be a little played out in other forums of media, having a zombie TV show just feels like a natural home. The problem with most zombie movies is that from the beginning you know that you are only going to be with this for around two hours at most and thus when the characters begin to die it is more or less whatever. As a TV show, you have time to get to know the characters and thus the tense moments in this show are a thousand times more tense then any moment in a zombie movie. Also zombies, zombies are still pretty neat.

Twin Peaks

The owls are not what they seem.

I cannot recommend this show enough. Please, if you check out none of my other suggestions at the very least go watch Twin Peaks. It is a beautiful mashing of genres that is part thriller, part murder mystery, part comedy, part drama, part horror and completely amazing. The story begins with the murder of a girl in small town and when an FBI agent is called to investigate a bigger mystery begins to unfold. The story will keep your brain on its toes as it tries to comprehend what exactly is going on and what is going to happen next. Those of you that even remotely liked Alan Wake will absolutely fall in love with Twin Peaks which was obviously a big inspiration for the game. The story telling at play here will make you feel the full spectrum of emotions in its 30 episodes and you will never be the same again. Go check it out, you will not be disappointed. 

So what do you say? Have I convinced you to check out some of these shows? Were you already familiar with them? What are some of your favorite shows? Don't be shy, comment away!

#1 Edited by DarthOrange (4094 posts) -

These are eight of the greatest television shows that you will ever watch. While they are not the only great shows out there these are my personal favorites and I recommend you check them all out. With the exception of Regular Show and Dan Vs, these shows are all available on Netflix streaming. In the case of both Regular Show and Dan Vs, tracking down full episodes on YouTube isn't too tough and they can be seen on cable (if you have it). 

The Twilight Zone (Original Series)

Talking Tina don't play that!

This show is a classic for a reason. While it may be in black and white, the stories told remain as interesting and engaging as when they were first released. It is astounding how many other forms of media have taken inspiration by the content of this show. One of the biggest causes of complaint from people is that the world no longer has original ideas. The primary reason for this is because this show took most of them. Not only is the premise of each episode interesting but the execution of each episode is handled with such care that it really feels like the people making this show gave it all their effort every single time. Rod Serling's is an excellent story teller who set standards for TV most show still can't live up to.

Regular Show

Ohhhhhhhh!

Cartoons are pretty awesome in general. What makes Regular Show stand out above the crowd is how related the characters are. Despite being different kinds of animals and object, they are all presented in a very human way and it is easy to find a character that you relate to and that reminds you of other people. The episodes always begin grounded in reality before jumping off into the fantastical due to some regular everyday problem. This grounding in reality and the realism of the characters makes the strange larger then life out of this world situations that much more fun to go through with the characters.

Drawn Together

Cancelled in their prime.

Adult cartoons filled with vulgar language and obscenities are a dime a dozen. Drawn Together was special though. The idea was simple. Bring together a group of different cartoon character parodies and have them live in the same house like a reality TV show. Each episode would take on two plots and the episode would revolve around whatever shenanigan the characters were going through at the moment. The thing that made Drawn Together special was that they held nothing sacred. They did not exclude anyone from their parody, and it is guaranteed that at least one episode will strike a nerve with you as being insensitive. However, in doing so they help loosen you up and help you realize that their is no real harm done. Some of you bombers can stand to loosen up and realize that words only hurt you if you let them. And it is just funny as hell on top of all that.

Breaking Bad

Follow the monies

This show is pretty damn popular with the Giant Bomb community but if for some reason you still haven't checked it out you should do so now! The plight of the chemistry teacher turned drug dealer is one filled with humor, drama and the occasional action scene. The arcs that the characters go through are nice to follow and it is interesting to see how the characters who become likable and who you start rooting for changes as the show progresses. This show was good enough to warrant the Giant Bomb making a parody of the title for one of their premium shows. If you aren't going to take it from me then take it from them, you should go watch this show.

Dan Vs.

No means no Mr. Salvation Army!

Once again, grounding the characters and story in reality makes the fantastical cartoon shenanigans so much more fun. In Dan Vs we have a character of Dan who over reacts and seeks revenge for the little everyday things that piss us off. The episode starts normal enough and goes off the rails goofy by the end of it. It is a nice light-hearted cartoon with the voice of Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge of the Nerds) really bringing the character of Dan to life. This is good old fashion family friendly TV that just about anyone can enjoy.

American Horror Story

It's exactly what it looks like.

If you are even remotely into horror then this show is right up your ally. American Horror Story is kind of like a horror version of The Twilight Zone, except instead of the story lasting one episode each story lasts one season. While it may not bring anything unique to the table what it does do is bring together several different horror types which makes it like nothing else out there. While the first season dealt with the issue of infidelity and featured such horror staples as the haunted house, the Black Dahlia and ghosts the second season deals with the issue of sanity and features such classic horror tropes as a masked murder, being possessed by the devil and aliens among other things. For all you lovers of horror, you should check out this show which is basically an homage to the genre.

The Walking Dead

Why hello good sir!

Zombies are still pretty awesome. While it may be a little played out in other forums of media, having a zombie TV show just feels like a natural home. The problem with most zombie movies is that from the beginning you know that you are only going to be with this for around two hours at most and thus when the characters begin to die it is more or less whatever. As a TV show, you have time to get to know the characters and thus the tense moments in this show are a thousand times more tense then any moment in a zombie movie. Also zombies, zombies are still pretty neat.

Twin Peaks

The owls are not what they seem.

I cannot recommend this show enough. Please, if you check out none of my other suggestions at the very least go watch Twin Peaks. It is a beautiful mashing of genres that is part thriller, part murder mystery, part comedy, part drama, part horror and completely amazing. The story begins with the murder of a girl in small town and when an FBI agent is called to investigate a bigger mystery begins to unfold. The story will keep your brain on its toes as it tries to comprehend what exactly is going on and what is going to happen next. Those of you that even remotely liked Alan Wake will absolutely fall in love with Twin Peaks which was obviously a big inspiration for the game. The story telling at play here will make you feel the full spectrum of emotions in its 30 episodes and you will never be the same again. Go check it out, you will not be disappointed. 

So what do you say? Have I convinced you to check out some of these shows? Were you already familiar with them? What are some of your favorite shows? Don't be shy, comment away!

#2 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (484 posts) -

Mad Men

american horror story is surprisingly awesome. Season 2 is just great.

#3 Edited by Pr1mus (4099 posts) -

X-Files, Dexter

But Breaking Bad does rank near the top of my all time favorite shows. Like 2nd or something like that.

#4 Edited by joshthebear (2704 posts) -

Six Feet Under is still the greatest TV show, in my opinion.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Despite being different kinds of animals and object, they are all presented in a very human way

This is how I announce how odd it is that Adventure Time didn't make the list.

#6 Posted by N7 (3815 posts) -

Good list. The Walking Dead feels stagnant most of the time, to be honest. I lost all interest when I realized the show was basically "How many cool characters can we kill off before you lose interest" and I got out while the getting was good. Saw the first two epitsode of Twin Peaks and fell in love but never watched anymore because it gets canceled before any real conclusion can be made, and I couldn't deal with that heartbreak. Regular Show is good. Good quality animation that adults and kids can enjoy. It doesn't talk down to children like most other shows and it reminds me of some of the cartoons I used to watch as a kid like Justice League. Breaking Bad is probably the best on the list at the moment.

Everything else is eh for me.

I also suggest: Young Justice. If you liked Batman The Animated Series or Superman The Animated Series, or maybe Justice League, Batman Beyond or Justice League Unlimited, you may like this. Same core concept: DC Superheroes in an animated format that doesn't talk down to anyone. Surprisingly mature and easy to get into. Not to mention the rampart Nolan North.

Psych. Psych is the shit. Nothing more to be said.

Arrow. It's like Smallville but it's not so far stuck up its own ass with pretentious teenager love drama bullshit. Pretty decent fight scenes and a lot of progress is made so you aren't waiting season after season wondering when he's going to confess his love to Lana and stop pestering to the 12 year old girls. I mean venusaur.

#7 Posted by me3639 (1992 posts) -

I grew up with Twilight Zone and still nothing comes close to Rod Serlings genius. If there is a list of Best of TV Series, The Wire is a must.

#8 Posted by strangeling (1296 posts) -

The Walking Dead should not be on this list. 
I have watched it, and it is not one of the 8 greatest tv shows I have ever watched. Its main flaw: it uses characters and events established in another medium. Had it gone the route of the The Walking Dead game, I may have been able to accept it as being great television.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (5188 posts) -

Solid list. Caught the first season of American horror story on amazon prime and it's so freakin unique and cool. Breaking bad will always be one of the best tv shows ever made. Period. And walking dead is also awesome. Sure season 2 was kind of a bummer but the way season 3 has shaped up has made me a believer again.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (16206 posts) -

If this is what passes as good TV then I feel pretty good about not watching TV anymore.

#11 Posted by Daneian (1306 posts) -

Where's The West Wing, Arrested Development, Psych and Sports Night?

#12 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (220 posts) -

While I am elated by seeing AHS and Twin Peaks on your list. The lack of Buffy the Vampire Slayer hurts me. Also The Walking Dead does not deserve to be on the list. I am a fan of The Walking Dead but the show is the worst adaptation of The Walking Dead universe. Really Mad Men, Game of Throne. or The Wire should easily be on this list.

#13 Posted by Gerhabio (1992 posts) -

The Wire

#14 Posted by Aegon (6627 posts) -

The way you described Regular Show makes it sound like a cartoon Seinfeld.

#15 Edited by jakob187 (22312 posts) -
It would seem you missed a show.
#16 Posted by believer258 (12707 posts) -

Baccano is not on this list. It ought to be.
...no, really. You would think that I would put FMA on here but Baccano is very well made and never really falls into the things that turn a lot of people off of anime.
Also I never did watch much TV of any sort...

#17 Posted by WickedFather (1694 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

Six Feet Under is still the greatest TV show, in my opinion.

Yup.

For me I'd say Him & Her as it's sublime but only if you're the right kind of person so I'll say Father Ted instead as it doesn't matter what age you are, or if you're clever or stupid - it's funny.

And Walking Dead is crap. Did this drawn out storytelling crap happen before Lost?

#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Baccano is not on this list.

To be fair, I doubt a lot of people here (would have) watched it broadcast on TV (unless there was something on [adult swim] I completely missed). In fact, I doubt a lot of people watched it on a TV at all.

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5444 posts) -

Breaking Bad is the only show I agree with here.

#20 Posted by NTM (8291 posts) -

Star Trek and Miami Vice.

#21 Posted by jsnyder82 (775 posts) -

Twilight Zone is great. Breaking Bad is the absolute best show on tv at the moment. Twin Peaks is great. But the rest of those shows? Barf.

@jakob187 said:

It would seem you missed a show.

This show is great, too.

#22 Posted by moffattron9000 (388 posts) -

How did you miss The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, The Shield, Mad Men, Homeland or Battlestar Galatica, especially when bloody American Horror Story is on this list.

#23 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
#24 Posted by C0V3RT (1393 posts) -

I'm ok with Dexter not making the list. Way too hot and cold.

I haven't seen probably half the things on your list, but my list would include The Venture Bros., Arrested Development, and Heroes (I'll knife fight anyone who says ANYTHING about Heroes!).

#25 Posted by Slax (1006 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I have tried to watch a few different episodes of Adventure Time and it's never really clicked with me. I think I started at the beginning of season 1. Does it take a while to get going? Can you tell me why you enjoy it?

#26 Edited by Redbullet685 (6186 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Baccano is not on this list.

To be fair, I doubt a lot of people here (would have) watched it broadcast on TV (unless there was something on [adult swim] I completely missed). In fact, I doubt a lot of people watched it on a TV at all.

Baccano is on Netflix. Or was for a while, at least. I did watch the first 7 or so episodes and love the animation, but I just got bored of it and stopped. And I don't care for anime much, either, so don't get offended by me saying that.

Just started watching American Horror Story. Love it so much.

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and especially Twilight Zone deserve those spots on the list. Adventure Time should be on there instead of Regular Show. Or, actually, if there is gonna be an animated show, it should be Batman TAS.

#27 Edited by JordanK85 (143 posts) -

Are we allowed to ignore weak seasons? If so, then Simpsons seasons 3-8 are some of the best television ever. Loved it as a kid and not only does it hold up to viewings as a adult, it actually becomes more delightful. I know it's not nostalgia because every show that I liked as a kid I tried watching again as an adult and almost all of them are terrible with the rest being merely competent. It makes me deride my younger self as an idiot.

#28 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (299 posts) -

Adventure Time, mayn.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@Slax said:

Does it take a while to get going?

Kind of? The first season's still good, but the series does pick up after a while. I can't tell you why I enjoy it outside boring platitudes, though. Keep in mind that I review video games, not television shows.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5658 posts) -

You forgot

Loading Video...

There is a reason it has the most episodes of all time.

#31 Posted by voge8775 (2 posts) -

Game of thrones? Couchtuner.com is a sick website that streams a lot of these shows for free

#32 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

Easily the greatest drama

Loading Video...
#33 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

@C0V3RT said:

I'm ok with Dexter not making the list. Way too hot and cold.

I haven't seen probably half the things on your list, but my list would include The Venture Bros., Arrested Development, and Heroes (I'll knife fight anyone who says ANYTHING about Heroes!).

have to agree, Venture Bros was pretty good

#34 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2646 posts) -

The Walking Dead and American Horror Story are overrated.

X-Files and Game of Thrones are oddly missing.

Boardwalk Empire is better than half those shows.

South Park & Futurame are superior than all those cartoons.

Good day sir.

#35 Posted by spankingaddict (2814 posts) -

Just watched the pilot of Twin Peaks . AMAZING

#36 Posted by Brendan (8695 posts) -

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

Arrested Development

Community

Seinfeld

#37 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

er... isn't this list more like "I love TV! Here's what I'm watching right now!"

#38 Posted by redbliss (669 posts) -

I watched Twin Peaks through maybe the first and second episodes, and it is a terrible show. It felt like the Deadly Premonition of TV.

#39 Posted by iceman228433 (657 posts) -

I say the West Wing up till season 4, Homeland season 1, Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

#40 Edited by Coafi (1519 posts) -

This list is good, I give you points for including: The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, American Horror Story and The Walking Dead. I would switch Drawn Together with Archer, and Regular Show with Adventure Time. Everyone needs to check out Archer, that series is so damn good. I still haven't watched Breaking Bad, so I can't really judge that show.

#41 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

@redbliss said:

I watched Twin Peaks through maybe the first and second episodes, and it is a terrible show. It felt like the Deadly Premonition of TV.

Oh man, it's fantastic.

I think Deadly Premonition is heavily influenced by Twin Peaks. Along with Alan Wake, Metal Gear Solid, and a ton of other games.

The production is clearly bad, as any early 90's show would be, but it does a bajillion things that were utterly amazing and have lost some significance due to everyone copying it in the later years.

For example, every hack writer loves to say "the environment is a character" but Twin Peaks was one of the first shows to actually make that happen. It was also amazing in the way that it took a part of the United States that most people aren't familiar with and put it on TV. It's INCREDIBLY rare for a show not to take place in New York or Las Angeles, and Twin Peaks took you all the way up to Washington or wherever, for probably the first time ever. It also managed to make a creepy show out of scenarios that aren't usually thought of as creepy. It also parodied the life of american's and american towns which is probably why it was so immensely popular in Japan.

#42 Posted by Barrock (3760 posts) -

Drawn Together sticks out like a bloody nub.

#43 Posted by redbliss (669 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: Maybe I just needed to watch it in the 90s then. It is on netflix now, but I just cant bring myself to finish it.

#44 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

If we're just throwing out favorite TV Shows that people should watch, I'd have to make sure to note

1)Sports Night-Aaaron Sorkin's first TV show.

2)Justice League Unlimited- Batman The Animated Series for adults. Mature themes and lots of hidden content/adult situations if you look for them.

3)Buffy The Vampire Slayer- The show that redefined TV and spawned every show you like to watch on modern TV.

4)The Simpsons- THE animated comedy show. Stopped being funny over a decade ago.

5)Push, Nevada- Ben Affleck's Twin Peaks inspired Noir Mystery. More Watchable than TP because it's 10 years newer. Cancelled after half a season.

#45 Posted by Cobra_Kai (21 posts) -

DEADWOOD is the best show in history - that`s fact, not opinion!

also anyone who hasn`t watched THIRD WATCH is automatically a douchebag

#46 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

@redbliss said:

@JazGalaxy: Maybe I just needed to watch it in the 90s then. It is on netflix now, but I just cant bring myself to finish it.

Yeah, it's possible. I remembered it being on when I was little, and it being a thing people talked about frequently, but I never actually watched it until 2005 or so. I think once you get into it, it get's easier to take. Plus it finds it's footing as the show moves along.

#47 Posted by TheHT (12306 posts) -

WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS.

#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (14282 posts) -

I know it's not exactly gone without praise, but I have to say sweet fuck, I love me some Breaking Bad. I've tried to get into Twin Peaks and The Walking Dead before, but found them a little tough to sink my teeth into, although that first episode of The Walking Dead was good. I will probably go back to them at some point. I'll probably take a look at Regular Show when I have the time too. I've tried to get my hands on some Twilight Zone and I quite like what I've seen so far, it's just a little hard to get a hold of.

#49 Posted by Ksaw (358 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Definitely agree, and you picked a great scene to state your case.

#50 Edited by Seppli (11233 posts) -