This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by KaosAngel (14251 posts) -

It's been nine years, and I remember it crystal clear where I was and the emotions everyone felt. 
 
I was in high school at the time, and I heard the rumors during lunch.  Well, to be honest people started to talk about MGS2 and people were going around wondering if this was in MGS2 rather than real life.  It wasn't until after lunch that we got "locked" down in our next class and were told to just shut up and study...well not like that but you get the drift. 
 
Next thing I know, half my classmates are being pulled out of school for some unknown reason.  Then some lady got on the PA system (might have been the vice principle), and told us what happened.  It was kind of surreal, and we were told school would be closing soon. 
 
Nine years ago, on this day terrorists killed a large group of Americans.  Americans of all races, religions, and sex were killed...and because of this, millions of others around the world were effected. 
 
I lost two friends during the war.  A war that wouldn't be here if this day never happened. 
 
I know some of you might take living in America for granted, but just remember people were willing to ruin our country because we have the right to freedom, we have thousands of our young men and women lose their life during the war, and we've had handful of Americans being attacked when going overseas.   
 
It's weird, I can't believe it's been nine years, and in those nine years...it just flew.   
 
So dudes, just spend a few seconds at least to look back and at least respect our flag.   
 
It's the very least you can do to those who are dead now from 9/11.

#2 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4314 posts) -

I really, REALLY hope no one talks shit in this thread. I posted something on my facebook's group status for Memorial Day. I thanked the troops and some guy from Ireland said that Memorial Day was the dumbest thing ever. This better not happen here.

#3 Posted by dougmansion (144 posts) -

Hear, hear.

#4 Posted by ColinWright (753 posts) -

I was 11 and in elementary school they didn't tell you anything, just that school would be closing. Living only 20 miles from the city meant that a lot of people from my town were lost in this tragedy. :(

#5 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3543 posts) -

I was 8.

#6 Edited by RE_Player1 (7948 posts) -

I remember I went home for lunch and saw the footage on TV. Horrible tragedy and I hope we catch every single person involved in that plot. No country should go through something like that.Even though I'm not American, I'm Canadian, my heart goes out to all the families that lost loved ones in the towers.  

#7 Posted by TheBlindChessman (250 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
" I really, REALLY hope no one talks shit in this thread. I posted something on my facebook's group status for Memorial Day. I thanked the troops and some guy from Ireland said that Memorial Day was the dumbest thing ever. This better not happen here. "
You say talk shit, but people are discussing politics here so it's almost certain that they'll be arguments. 
#8 Posted by zudthespud (3329 posts) -

I watched "102 minutes that changed America" earlier this week, a really well put together documentary that I highly recommend, it's on google videos. Even as a non American it's really captivating.
 
While the 3,000 people that died on that day is a tragedy, it is minuscule compared to the 1.5 million that have died in Iraq and Afghanistan because of this. It's not been a great decade by any means.

#9 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4314 posts) -
@TheBlindChessman said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
" I really, REALLY hope no one talks shit in this thread. I posted something on my facebook's group status for Memorial Day. I thanked the troops and some guy from Ireland said that Memorial Day was the dumbest thing ever. This better not happen here. "
You say talk shit, but people are discussing politics here so it's almost certain that they'll be arguments.  "
Which is sad. 3000 people died. No need to argue about anything.
#10 Edited by EdIsCool (1140 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:

" I really, REALLY hope no one talks shit in this thread. I posted something on my facebook's group status for Memorial Day. I thanked the troops and some guy from Ireland said that Memorial Day was the dumbest thing ever. This better not happen here. "

Memorial Day is not dumb, what is dumb is unquestioning support and loyalty to the flag and to the military. At the end of the day these guys kill people for a living, sometimes outrages like My Lai and Abu Ghraib occur.  I dont respect the military but a day for remembering the dead is never dumb.
#11 Posted by Droop (1925 posts) -

/crying eagle
 
Seriously though it was fucking horrible

#12 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Oh wow, it really is september the 11th, I need to get a better idea of time. It's already saturday. However I have my conspiracy theories about what really happened. However who cares, some innocent ppl really died working in that building, so r.i.p I suppose to those ppl. I remember being at school at the time when I heard the news, someone had to explain it to me.

#13 Posted by FalseDeity (243 posts) -

I remember being woken by my mother, first words out of her mouth was, "We've been hit."

#14 Posted by ShadowVirus (841 posts) -

I remember it was my cousin's birthday, I walked over to their house and when I walked in everyone was crowded around the TV and it was on the news, I had no idea what was going on at the time.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7802 posts) -

Not an American but fuck it, my heart goes out to everyone. <3

#16 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

Still remember.

#17 Edited by EpicSteve (6909 posts) -

My friend who is in Afghanistan wrote "It would be a mistake for the Taliban to attack us today" on his Facebook. 
 
Show some respect today. Thank a vet, or something. Honor those who serve.
 
I was in 5th-grade gym class when we got attacked. We were called inside and had to go into our classroom. The teacher showed us what happened. At that point, the government didn't know what the hell was going on. Then the second plane hit and it was confirmed we were being attacked. The school went on lockdown at that point, as did every public school in the area. The school issued a call home to parents to recommend the children be picked up. Of course almost every parent picked their children up.   
 
You did open the gates to hell. Someone will come on this thread acting like an asshole to offend everyone else.

#18 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4314 posts) -

I was in 4th grade and our teacher got us around in a circle and told us. And of course, being like 10, none of us knew the significance of what she said. We were all just mad cause they took recess away from us. 

#19 Posted by NoXious (1365 posts) -

I ain't no American, but that was one horrible day. Walking in the house, seeing the images of those planes crashing into the building... *shiver* Terrible.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5296 posts) -

I remember that morning very well. Woke up to my morning coffee and watched TV for a bit and then--the first tower went down. Three thousand people died on that day, and then a million more would follow in the years to come. It was a tragedy that set off a chain reaction that is still being felt to this day, almost a decade later.  
 
Truly a terrible day, and one that left deep, deep wounds. Hopefully people are now beginning to heal from those wounds.

#21 Posted by EpicBenjamin (674 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
"Not an American but fuck it, my heart goes out to everyone. <3 "
#22 Posted by KinjiroSSD (690 posts) -

I was in high school when they suddenly turned on a TV to the news for everyone to watch.  A crazy day indeed. 
 
This is no place to start arguing over whether wars were justified or not. 

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -
@hondorondo said:

america and freedom? all you have s this funny saying... if you wanna freedom go to europe!  besides this event gets terrible hyped. but why care for non-american (very poor people are always non-american) "
Not all Americans say that. By the way, you're an idiot.
#24 Posted by babblinmule (1280 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
"  So dudes, just spend a few seconds at least to look back and at least respect our flag. "
International website Kaos ;) 
 
But anywho, i was in secondary school (uk high school) when it happened and still remember the rumours spreading through the school like wildfire. As they were rumours there were a few that got out of control (remember one girl running around telling everyone that would listen that the white house had been destroyed). The bad part for me was that my uncle and aunt were in New York that day and had planned to go up the towers on that very day, but luckily they had been delayed by food poisoning (that hotel chef practically saved their lives). Of course we didn't know that for hours and so i remember my mum being quite distraught until we heard they were safe.
 
R.I.P to everyone that died.
#25 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2778 posts) -

Good thing Obama is pulling troops out of Iraq.
 
You don't need the oil. Go back to Afghanistan and get the real threat.

#26 Posted by Skytylz (4070 posts) -

I was in third grade and I remember my teacher telling us when it happened.

#27 Edited by MythDarK (583 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Oh wow, it really is september the 11th, I need to get a better idea of time. It's already saturday. However I have my conspiracy theories about what really happened. However who cares, some innocent ppl really died working in that building, so r.i.p I suppose to those ppl. I remember being at school at the time when I heard the news, someone had to explain it to me.

"
 There's some really fascinating conspiracy theories out there, both fucked up things that would never happen, but also some possible ones. And I don't blame them for having those. Some of my thoughts were the in the same line back then, and some still are, for some damn good reasons.
 
This doesn't mean that I don't feel for those who lost friends and families. But at the same time, I got my own problems to worry about. I'm almost at the other side of this planet after all.
#28 Posted by Food (390 posts) -

oh god that was the scariest fucking day of my life.  my dad worked in Manhattan back then and he just managed to hop on the last train out of grand central before the quarantine went up.  i knew more than a few people who lost relatives in those attacks.  the worst was that we didn't know what else was coming.  rumors were flying around that Manhattan was going to be bombed and there were still other planes in the sky unaccounted for.  my mom's side of the family lives in DC so of course we were worried about them too.  and then the images of the towers burning, and when I finally heard they were gone it was fucking devastating.  if you go down by the shore in my town you can see the Manhattan skyline and just seeing the towers gone and all the smoke in the air was horrible.  god I don't even like to think about it. 

#29 Posted by themangalist (1853 posts) -

It was playing the same 10 second footage the whole night through on TV  when I was still in Hong Kong. Felt bad for the thousands that died in a blink. Prayed about it, went to sleep. But then when the War on Terrorism began, that was another tragedy.... let's not get into that. I'll let you Americans have your moments of grief and silence.
 
@HitmanAgent47 said:

"

Oh wow, it really is september the 11th, I need to get a better idea of time. It's already saturday. However I have my conspiracy theories about what really happened. However who cares, some innocent ppl really died working in that building, so r.i.p I suppose to those ppl. I remember being at school at the time when I heard the news, someone had to explain it to me.

"
I really don't want to bring it up at times like these, but the conspiracy... makes this tragedy a even sadder one.
#30 Posted by cap123 (2467 posts) -

I remember hearing about it at school, even in england it was a rather big event.

#31 Posted by MethodMan008 (938 posts) -

I'll never forget that day...  Heard about the first plane on the radio on the way to middle school... Kind of thought it was a joke...  The people on the radio weren't sure how to handle it either... 
 
Got to school and we just watched TV for hours... 
 
My thoughts go out to all the innocent that were killed that day.

#32 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -

KaosAngel is such a child.

#33 Posted by Mrskidders (1298 posts) -

My heart goes out to the poor inoccent victims that died that day for a war that they never started and I hope they can rest in peace after dying as a result of America's various genocides over history coming back to bite them harder than they expected.

#34 Posted by edinxbox@live.nl (140 posts) -
@hondorondo said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" It's been nine years, and I remember it crystal clear where I was and the emotions everyone felt.  I was in high school at the time, and I heard the rumors during lunch.  Well, to be honest people started to talk about MGS2 and people were going around wondering if this was in MGS2 rather than real life.  It wasn't until after lunch that we got "locked" down in our next class and were told to just shut up and study...well not like that but you get the drift.  Next thing I know, half my classmates are being pulled out of school for some unknown reason.  Then some lady got on the PA system (might have been the vice principle), and told us what happened.  It was kind of surreal, and we were told school would be closing soon.  Nine years ago, on this day terrorists killed a large group of Americans.  Americans of all races, religions, and sex were killed...and because of this, millions of others around the world were effected.  I lost two friends during the war.  A war that wouldn't be here if this day never happened.  I know some of you might take living in America for granted, but just remember people were willing to ruin our country because we have the right to freedom, we have thousands of our young men and women lose their life during the war, and we've had handful of Americans being attacked when going overseas.    It's weird, I can't believe it's been nine years, and in those nine years...it just flew.    So dudes, just spend a few seconds at least to look back and at least respect our flag.    It's the very least you can do to those who are dead now from 9/11. "
america and freedom? all you have s this funny saying... if you wanna freedom go to europe!  besides this event gets terrible hyped. but why care for non-american (very poor people are always non-american) "
I agree with this guy, but seriously fuck america, 9/11 was horrible, but the usa has done much worst things in its lifetime. 
Im not going to f ing respect your flag, i have some great american friends but you guy's dont care for anything else except for the USA. 
#35 Posted by Nasos100 (762 posts) -

dont give a damn

#36 Posted by Vinchenzo (6466 posts) -

As an American I really don't care. It's primarily a day now for Americans to throttle their engines. I've felt sorry for the people with birthdays on this day. Can they still get free dessert? Do they get to celebrate?

#37 Posted by rentfn (1380 posts) -

I was a freshmen in college. a person from my suite ran into my room and said "we are under attack" I turned on the TV as the first  trade center fell to the ground. R.I.P. to those who lost their lives.

#38 Posted by blogpostnogood (320 posts) -

Right smack bang in the middle of General discussion? 
 
Anyways, condolences to the families of all the victims, both American and Iraqi and all other nationalities who died because of this most epic of fucked up conflicts. 
 
Peace.

#39 Posted by Yelix (373 posts) -

I was only in second grade. I remember seeing something on the news before heading to school. When I got there, a lot of the other kids' parents were there and there were tears being shed. It wasn't until sometime later that I realized the significance of what happened that day.
As a reasonably patriotic (though not necessarily jingoistic) American, my heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by that day, no matter how indirectly, and no matter what country they're from. I just wish that people would stop baiting controversy with the with things like the mosque (which I'm not really for or against) or burning Qurans (which I'm wholly against) and just sit back and pay their respects to those who were lost.
And please, don't come in here trolling about conspiracies or Americans being evil or whatever. We don't want to hear it.

#40 Posted by Mrskidders (1298 posts) -
@astromanz: Off-topic
#41 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

Everyone continue remembering.  Also today is my anniversary.

#42 Posted by Yelix (373 posts) -

 @Mrskidders said:

" My heart goes out to the poor inoccent victims that died that day for a war that they never started and I hope they can rest in peace after dying as a result of America's various genocides over history coming back to bite them harder than they expected. "

  I respect your right to say that, but seriously dude, have some tact.
#43 Posted by Mrskidders (1298 posts) -
@Yelix:  I excercised plenty of tact in what I said, I was respectful to the victims and I voiced an opinion based on historical fact, not fiction or hearsay.  Go back to school before you reply to me again.
#44 Posted by habster3 (3618 posts) -

You know what's really sad? A few years ago, when I would ride the bus to school, I would ask much younger kids if they knew what 9-11 was; most of them had no idea. That just makes me sick. 
 
This was one of the country's greatest tragedies, and I believe the attackers will suffer for an eternity for causing so much harm (Yes, I believe in Heaven and Hell). 
 
What really makes me mad, though, is that these people who ruined our country are trying to build a mosque less than a quarter of a mile away. They may have their religious freedom, but if they really mean no harm, they should just move their mosque to another place in New York City. Even a lot of Muslim officials (who aren't radical) think they should just move the location. Also, look at the man in charge of this operation; he's a fucking psycho!
 

#45 Posted by Djeffers03 (2537 posts) -

I was 6 when it all happened. I live in Britain so I came home from school, turned on the TV and saw the building(s) burning. I can't remember if one of the towers had already collapsed but I don't think it had when I tuned in. I distinctly remember a TV picture of a fire engine/truck driving towards the towers which were burning at what seemed to be multiple miles away.  
 
I watched for the news for hours that day and saw almost everything.

#46 Edited by Tireyo (6712 posts) -

I was 12 years old when that happened. Watched the news all of that day in school. Funny how we migrated from class to class still watching the disaster on TV. 
 
Before this famous event happened, on another September 11th years before I was born, my grandpa was shot to death. 
 
Definitely an interesting day.

#47 Posted by aurahack (2503 posts) -

I was in elementary school. My mom was waiting for my sister and I at the schoolyard to bring us home for lunch. When we got home, she turned on the TV and said "something serious had happened". We spent the next few hours watching nothing but the news. :/

#48 Posted by plop1920 (460 posts) -

Man that was a sad day. I remember being able to see the huge smoke cloud in the air for a couple of days from my living room window. 

#49 Posted by Drewbs (2794 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
" @hondorondo said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" It's been nine years, and I remember it crystal clear where I was and the emotions everyone felt.  I was in high school at the time, and I heard the rumors during lunch.  Well, to be honest people started to talk about MGS2 and people were going around wondering if this was in MGS2 rather than real life.  It wasn't until after lunch that we got "locked" down in our next class and were told to just shut up and study...well not like that but you get the drift.  Next thing I know, half my classmates are being pulled out of school for some unknown reason.  Then some lady got on the PA system (might have been the vice principle), and told us what happened.  It was kind of surreal, and we were told school would be closing soon.  Nine years ago, on this day terrorists killed a large group of Americans.  Americans of all races, religions, and sex were killed...and because of this, millions of others around the world were effected.  I lost two friends during the war.  A war that wouldn't be here if this day never happened.  I know some of you might take living in America for granted, but just remember people were willing to ruin our country because we have the right to freedom, we have thousands of our young men and women lose their life during the war, and we've had handful of Americans being attacked when going overseas.    It's weird, I can't believe it's been nine years, and in those nine years...it just flew.    So dudes, just spend a few seconds at least to look back and at least respect our flag.    It's the very least you can do to those who are dead now from 9/11. "
america and freedom? all you have s this funny saying... if you wanna freedom go to europe!  besides this event gets terrible hyped. but why care for non-american (very poor people are always non-american) "
I agree with this guy, but seriously fuck america, 9/11 was horrible, but the usa has done much worst things in its lifetime. Im not going to f ing respect your flag, i have some great american friends but you guy's dont care for anything else except for the USA.  "
If you actually read the thing you would see that it was addressed to Americans. Also KaosAngel is a giant troll.
#50 Posted by Yelix (373 posts) -
@Mrskidders: Let's not start an argument here. We both have our opinions on the matter, and it was wrong of me to assault yours.