A class divided (Thank you PBS)

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By Snipzor

If any of you ever watch PBS' Frontline, you would understand how amazing it is. Considering they are publicly funded, each of their programs must be of the highest quality (And they truly are amazing, all of them, America's Test Kitchen included). Well this is regarding a time shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr, and a teacher had an idea to explain what racism was, and fully convey this idea of the power of bigotry. 40 years later we still have that problem, the lack of understanding. But anyways, what she did was separate her students, from blue eye to brown eye (All based on eye colour). The results are very interesting to the point where she does the same with adults at a correctional facility, not prisonners, but the workers there. People who know each other deeply, and are great friends. Even there, excellent results.

I suggest you watch the whole thing [HERE] when you have the chance.

Just a small show and tell for the good people over here at Giantbomb. Enjoy!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Snipzor

If any of you ever watch PBS' Frontline, you would understand how amazing it is. Considering they are publicly funded, each of their programs must be of the highest quality (And they truly are amazing, all of them, America's Test Kitchen included). Well this is regarding a time shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr, and a teacher had an idea to explain what racism was, and fully convey this idea of the power of bigotry. 40 years later we still have that problem, the lack of understanding. But anyways, what she did was separate her students, from blue eye to brown eye (All based on eye colour). The results are very interesting to the point where she does the same with adults at a correctional facility, not prisonners, but the workers there. People who know each other deeply, and are great friends. Even there, excellent results.

I suggest you watch the whole thing [HERE] when you have the chance.

Just a small show and tell for the good people over here at Giantbomb. Enjoy!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

I remember watching something similar in a Communications class. Interesting stuff.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheMathlete

I have never watched Frontline before, but after watching the video, I see that i should.  Another lesson learned on Giantbomb.com.  Thanks Snipzor for the post.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheMathlete

Also, I just wanted to say how brilliant the teacher's experiment is.  It's so simple yet so brilliant. 

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

you guys are LAME-O's (that's from RocketPower, fuck yea)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

We still have so much to learn... it's funny, my dad grew up in what we in Hickory called the "Black" part of town. South Center Street... downtown. Luckily my dad taught me to look at the individual first, he taught my mom this lesson as well, she was a young country girl when they got married. These lessons spilled over to all types of people, it was simple and I don't believe he meant to teach me these lessons. But once they were rooted, they grew in me and a lesson was learned my way.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bigandtasty

Saw this in high school psych - yeah it's ridiculous how people can act against "different" groups".

Also I read the title as "thank you PS3" boy I must really be tired and/or jaded o_o
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Yeah, I've heard about that experiment.  It was a hard but good lesson, but at the same time I wonder how profoundly it affected those kids, and if it maybe messed them up a bit.  Really good documentary series, Frontline.  Not all of them are the best, but I remember staying up late to watch them and always coming away satisfied (or troubled, in a civics sort of way).  No frills, fact-based television.  Great.

It's a rough road for human beings.  We're sort of pushed into looking at things in an "us and them" sort of way.  It takes work to realize we're all versions of  "us"

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snipzor
@ahoodedfigure said:
" Yeah, I've heard about that experiment.  It was a hard but good lesson, but at the same time I wonder how profoundly it affected those kids, and if it maybe messed them up a bit.  Really good documentary series, Frontline.  Not all of them are the best, but I remember staying up late to watch them and always coming away satisfied (or troubled, in a civics sort of way).  No frills, fact-based television.  Great.It's a rough road for human beings.  We're sort of pushed into looking at things in an "us and them" sort of way.  It takes work to realize we're all versions of  "us" "
Well considering the profound effect this experiment had on us upon viewing, it is safe to say the kids and the correctional facility people got hit hard. It is quite the tough lesson to learn, but in the end I'm sure it benefited them to no end.

To be honest though, the only reason I watched this documentary when I was a kid, was because it was showing after one of the older british comedies. I sat and watched "Keeping up Appearances" and frontline began earlier than usual. No regrets.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xandurson

That such an interesting idea. I don't really watch Frontline or PBS in general but I may have to start because this is just a really cool thing. It's sad how many people are still racist. It's obvious in my little city here in Michigan how many people are racist considering 98% of our city is white. We had one person in my class of 400-some that graduated a little over a week ago that was black. One person! And because of it people here are really racist because they think that since there are no black people here to defend themselves then they can do whatever they want! I, personally, hate racist people. It's not like I have any friends that are black but it's just something that I don't like. I don't like it so much that when my family says racist jokes (usually to piss me off) I will leave the room. I just can't stand them! Sorry, snipzor I kinda went off on a rant. Great find and thanks for sharing it!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snipzor
@GamerGeek360 said:
" That such an interesting idea. I don't really watch Frontline or PBS in general but I may have to start because this is just a really cool thing. It's sad how many people are still racist. It's obvious in my little city here in Michigan how many people are racist considering 98% of our city is white. We had one person in my class of 400-some that graduated a little over a week ago that was black. One person! And because of it people here are really racist because they think that since there are no black people here to defend themselves then they can do whatever they want! I, personally, hate racist people. It's not like I have any friends that are black but it's just something that I don't like. I don't like it so much that when my family says racist jokes (usually to piss me off) I will leave the room. I just can't stand them! Sorry, snipzor I kinda went off on a rant. Great find and thanks for sharing it! "
Rants are what makes these great, I'm glad people have decided to share their stories actually.