• 85 results
#1 Posted by Chemystery (193 posts) -

Any here tea aficionados? My girlfriend got me a proper British tea set a while back so I've been drinking a lot tea. What's your favorite tea? Any advice or tricks you've found out? The tea shop on campus has this awesome white tea that tastes like those gummy peach rings, It's awesome.

#2 Edited by AltonBrown (923 posts) -

Yo, Darjeeling is pretty sick.

#4 Posted by Dimi3je (235 posts) -

Perfer black tea with a dash of milk in the morning, green tea during the day. Only tips i can give you is to avoid tea in bags, and to learn the brewing time of your tea of choice. Tea is hella cool.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (5999 posts) -

I live for a good cup of tea. I love trying new teas, but I often go back to Indian chai or good ol' Earl Grey in a pinch.

#6 Edited by Mister_V (967 posts) -

@chemystery: What the hell is a "proper British tea set"? I ask because i am British and i have no clue what the hell that is.

Here people just put a teabag in a mug and add milk and hot water... I'm not sure that qualifies as a "set"

#7 Posted by jkz (3958 posts) -

I like black tea, generally, though at night sometimes I'll have Green Tea or some Chamomile. A good Earl Grey, though, makes me feel so comfy, and I've been having at least a cup a day for so long it'd be weird not to at this point

#8 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (866 posts) -

I recently discovered caramel tea, it's awesome. I prefer either lemon, black, chai or fruit tea. I drink my tea without putting sugar cubes in it though.

#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

#10 Edited by Getz (2955 posts) -

English breakfast, milk and sugar.

#11 Edited by JesterArbo (68 posts) -

Just got into tea drinking myself over the past couple months. Big fan of Herbal and Green teas. I'm digging the subtle taste of most herbal teas. Really don't like black tea.

#12 Edited by 49th (2551 posts) -

I like normal tea. With 1 sugar and milk.

#13 Posted by nevalis (68 posts) -

I've tried the fancier teas, and they're just too bitter and expensive for me. I like a simple Lipton tea with a little honey, milk, and sugar.

#14 Edited by crazyleaves (629 posts) -

Got off the coffee a month ago, I've been drinking Twinnings Earl Grey and I like it a bunch.

#15 Posted by csl316 (7392 posts) -

I drink tea all the time but I never studied up on how to make it fancy.

#16 Edited by alternate (2655 posts) -

Proper British Tea Set aka made for tourists and export.

Get yourself some tea bags - I usually go for Yorkshire Tea - leave it in for a couple of minutes until the colour looks right. Milk and sugar if that is your thing. Lol @ brew times. This isn't fancy coffee you are making.

#17 Posted by SomberOwl (519 posts) -
#18 Posted by Chemystery (193 posts) -

@mister_v: It has the teapot with the cups and saucers and stuff. For whatever reason when I just say tea set people think I'm talking about the Asian ones where the cups have no handles.

#19 Edited by Chemystery (193 posts) -

@dimi3je: Yea I've avoided tea bags for a long time now. Brewing time is something I'm working on but really I want to learn how to start mixing. Some teas mix better when you mix leaves and some mix better with just the liquid.

As for everybody else, milk? I never heard of milk in tea.

#20 Posted by CircleNine (380 posts) -

I mostly just drink chai and tisanes that I get from a good local tea store that sells a huge variety of loose leaf teas.

Sweetened condensed milk is a good sweetener for most black teas though. Oh and if you're getting loose leaf teas get one of the stainless steal mesh strainers instead of using tea bags. And I guess learn the brewing times and temperatures for white black green and tisanes if you want it to be (generally accepted as) better.

#21 Posted by teaoverlord (121 posts) -

As for everybody else, milk? I never heard of milk in tea.

Whaaaaaaaaa?

#22 Posted by sqrabbit (88 posts) -

Earl Grey is alright, but you have to find a brand you like. I've tried 3 so far, with Celestial Seasonings being the worst (and cheapest), Mighty Leaf second (most expensive) and Twining's (bout 1$ more than Celestial Seasonings) the best so far. Only tried one English Breakfast from Twinings but didn't like it.

You might want to hit starbucks and see if you can get some Tazo samples to see what you like. It sucks spending $$ trying out a tea by buying a regular box of 20, then end up hating it after two bags are used, and the rest of the box just sits in your cupboard for eternity.

#23 Posted by SgtSphynx (945 posts) -

I default to drinking Earl Grey, but I do enjoy some others.

#24 Posted by Korwin (2726 posts) -

Anyone who puts sugar in tea is a fucking barbarian. Milk is perfectly acceptable in a Ceylon base, although putting it in a green or herbal tea is a big ass no no.

#25 Edited by AmatureIdiot (986 posts) -

I'm English, so yeah I consume several tonnes of the standard Twining's Tea per year. Hell, I know people who literally go days only drinking tea.

#26 Edited by triviaman09 (759 posts) -

EARL GREY ALL DAY

#27 Posted by rachelepithet (1261 posts) -

Tea always tastes weird to me and doesn't agree with my stomach so to speak.

#28 Posted by Nickieroonie (140 posts) -

#29 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

Asking 'british' people about tea is dumb, cause the only tea people drink here is fairly boring black tea. Usually with way too much milk and sugar. Ask Chinese or Indian people about tea, they know what's up.

#30 Edited by Danteveli (1084 posts) -

I always recommend Yasmin Tea to people thats the stuff.

#31 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5807 posts) -

My favorites are Lipton honey and lemon or their pyramid tea bag brands, particularly Black Pearl.

#32 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Gunpowder Green. It's all I drink.

Kidney Stones guaranteed

#33 Edited by seamuspaxman (52 posts) -

#34 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

Tea tastes awful to me. Maybe, I've been having the wrong kinds?

#35 Edited by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

@coafi: Tea is a very broad term so chances are that you aren't getting the good ones or you're tasting the wrong blend for you. Assam, Red Bush and Iron Buddha are teas but they all taste very different. Even Assam tea itself has different blends to them leading to teas like PG Tips, Lyons and Barry's Tea which again, are Assam blends but different blends resulting in wildly different flavours.

#36 Posted by Stete (704 posts) -

I love tea, chilli tea is my favorite (don't knock it till you try it).

#37 Edited by Nasar7 (2501 posts) -

Stash is a pretty good brand. Tea over coffee all day long.

#38 Posted by UitDeToekomst (662 posts) -

Earl Grey, hot. Nah, I actually don't like tea at all. i tried to get into Earl Grey for a month or so when i first started watching Star Trek TNG in the early 90s, thanks to Jean-Luc, but it didn't take.

#39 Edited by GIyn (189 posts) -

@mister_v said:

@chemystery: What the hell is a "proper British tea set"? I ask because i am British and i have no clue what the hell that is.

Here people just put a teabag in a mug and add milk and hot water... I'm not sure that qualifies as a "set"

Cup, Saucer, Pot, Tea Leaves, Strainer. Milk, Sugar, Teaspoons,

If we're talking tea, as in cream tea.... food and such , thats a whole different and extensive ballgame.

#40 Posted by James_ex_machina (896 posts) -

Several years ago I gave up coffee for tea. At that time I was really into the flavored teas. Vanilla, Carmel, orange spice, etc etc. Eventually I returned to drinking coffee and only drinking tea on occasions. I usually prefer green tea with a touch of either honey or agave.

During a cold or sore throat I drink licorice root tea. It's not very good but I'm a believer that it soothes and and helps the throat.

#41 Posted by lanerobertlane (120 posts) -

Im a brit and this is how i make tea.

Put kettle on
put tea bag (PG tips / Yorkshire / Cheap ass Red Label) in cup.
Put 2 heaps of sugar in cup
pour boiled water from kettle into cup
Get milk from fridge.
Pour splash of milk into cup
Stir and Take out Tea bag.
Drink.

#42 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

@coafi: Tea is a very broad term so chances are that you aren't getting the good ones or you're tasting the wrong blend for you. Assam, Red Bush and Iron Buddha are teas but they all taste very different. Even Assam tea itself has different blends to them leading to teas like PG Tips, Lyons and Barry's Tea which again, are Assam blends but different blends resulting in wildly different flavours.

The one I remember recently trying was this one:

It just tasted like warm water. I will try some of your suggestions.

#43 Edited by HatKing (5573 posts) -

I like tea. And I get really mad when I hear people talk about types of tea with funny fucking names.

#44 Posted by HerbieBug (3858 posts) -

I like Chai, Earl Grey, and cinnamon flavoured herbal. Not really a fan of black tea, especially orange peko. If i'm going to be drinking black tea I might as well be drinking coffee and I like coffee several orders of magnitude more than i like tea in general.

#45 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

Nestea and Brisk.

#46 Posted by sqrabbit (88 posts) -

@coafi So far most of the Celestial Seasonings teas I've tried aren't that great, BUT, their Blueberry and Peach fruit teas are good if you steep them twice as long as normal (bout 8 mins). Lemon Zinger, Sleepytime, Tension Tamer, Raspberry, Black Cherry and Wild Berry flavors are kinda blah or bleh.

#47 Posted by Korwin (2726 posts) -

My teapot is bright lime green, I just thought I'd share this information.

#48 Posted by triple07 (1194 posts) -

My favorite tea is a good cup of Yunnan. Pretty much any of the variations from that region. If I go green I always go gunpowder though.

#49 Edited by SgtSphynx (945 posts) -

@sqrabbit: Have you tried any Bigelow? That's the brand of Earl Grey I drink and find it rather good, granted that is comparing it to Celestial Seasonings as the only other Earl Grey I have tried. My friend recommended some loose leaf stuff, but it was a bit outside my price range.

#50 Posted by Sinusoidal (1158 posts) -

Lemon grass. Rooibos. Peppermint. Chai. I like em all. I do stay away from any variety with too much caffeine. They seriously mess me up for anywhere from three to eight hours, then I completely crash. For some reason, my body reacts to caffeine like it's uncut Colombian blow. Forget coffee! I'll be climbing the goddamn walls until I'm practically in a coma.