A Funny Faux Pas: Why it Pains Me to Watch(Play) Persona 4

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

So I've just started watching the Endurance Runs on Persona 4 on this site (just got my copy today) and a part of the game reminded me of a faux pas I sadly committed early in my college life. So this is the set up: I'm a U.S. history major and Economics minor, and I'm also in the honors program at my college. So a few students from Japanese, using the exchange program, come over for a semester. One of them was taking US history and needed help, so the Honors program Director sent me an email asking me if I was interested in helping him, and I was.

So I help him, he speaks fluent English, I tell him all about the Antebellum Crisis and the dawn of American lit. and all that stuff. So eventually he calls for one of the other exchange students to come pick him up, and I overheard him call me a "Senpai," and for whatever reasons (AND I DON'T KNOW WHY) I think he's just insulted me. So convinced that he's called me an SOB, I get all angry and say that he's rude, has no manners, and I call him all of these terrible names that I now regret. So when his friends come over to my dorm he runs to them in tears, he's like bawling. So one of them approaches me and I explain why I reacted the way I did, and then he explained what he said, and I realized how much of a dumbass I was.

So needless to say I was their tutor for their entire semester until they left and I still keep in touch with them, and whenever the word Senpai is used on the Endurance Run I just feel this horrible pang of embarrassment. But don't think that this experience has taught me, I'm still a dumbass. When I hung out with these guys, I mistook wasbai for guacamole and they tricked me into eating parts of sea critters that no human being should ever eat.

So there's no real moral, it's just a funny anecdote, get use to it....

NO WAIT THERE IS A MORAL!!!
DON'T BE A DUMBASS LIKE ME!!!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

So I've just started watching the Endurance Runs on Persona 4 on this site (just got my copy today) and a part of the game reminded me of a faux pas I sadly committed early in my college life. So this is the set up: I'm a U.S. history major and Economics minor, and I'm also in the honors program at my college. So a few students from Japanese, using the exchange program, come over for a semester. One of them was taking US history and needed help, so the Honors program Director sent me an email asking me if I was interested in helping him, and I was.

So I help him, he speaks fluent English, I tell him all about the Antebellum Crisis and the dawn of American lit. and all that stuff. So eventually he calls for one of the other exchange students to come pick him up, and I overheard him call me a "Senpai," and for whatever reasons (AND I DON'T KNOW WHY) I think he's just insulted me. So convinced that he's called me an SOB, I get all angry and say that he's rude, has no manners, and I call him all of these terrible names that I now regret. So when his friends come over to my dorm he runs to them in tears, he's like bawling. So one of them approaches me and I explain why I reacted the way I did, and then he explained what he said, and I realized how much of a dumbass I was.

So needless to say I was their tutor for their entire semester until they left and I still keep in touch with them, and whenever the word Senpai is used on the Endurance Run I just feel this horrible pang of embarrassment. But don't think that this experience has taught me, I'm still a dumbass. When I hung out with these guys, I mistook wasbai for guacamole and they tricked me into eating parts of sea critters that no human being should ever eat.

So there's no real moral, it's just a funny anecdote, get use to it....

NO WAIT THERE IS A MORAL!!!
DON'T BE A DUMBASS LIKE ME!!!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

Well then, you'll really hate it when Rise comes along.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Red said:
"Well then, you'll really hate it when Rise comes along."
Well this was written in large part because I've just beaten Rise's boss and have established an S-Link and it just PAINS me when she calls me that!
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hausdog

Foreign languages are dangerous things. We should all switch to something nice and inconvenient for everyone to learn, like Apache.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Hausdog said:
"Foreign languages are dangerous things. We should all switch to something nice and inconvenient for everyone to learn, like Apache."

I have always been an ardent supporter of the accleration of language death and the appropriation of foreign cultures!