• 0 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Hey guys, I have never really watched too much anime but all of a sudden I feel like getting into it! 
 
Which good anime shows do you guys think would be best for a starter? Also, if possible something recent. 
 
Thanks! ^__^

#2 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -

Go here, I'm not being a douche..but your more likely going to get a decent response other than getting flamed. 
http://myanimelist.net/     
 
but i guess you can watch Full Metal Alchemist as a starter.

#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

My favorite isn't really recent but is very, very good. You should check out Cowboy Bebop. It doesn't go on for seasons and seasons either. 
I would also recommend Samurai Champloo. Lot's of great action.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: But seriously: 
 
Soul Eater, Elfen Laid, High School of the Dead, Gundam Wing
#5 Posted by Teh_Eel (296 posts) -

You should probably go look at www.animevice.com, sure you will find an anwser to your question.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Ghost In The Shell is great if you're looking for some sci-fi anime.

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Don't listen to that yellow avatar, there are plenty of anime fans here.
#8 Posted by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

Hellsing is one of the only Animes I've watched but it's still a pretty good one with great art.

#9 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

BibleBlack. 
 
No, but seriously, Death Note is a pretty popular one, so you might wanna check that one out.

#10 Posted by Lustreplush (97 posts) -

I agree with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo - the perfect lengths for serial anime - and they kick ass. 
 I'd stay away from Naruto and Bleach - they go on forever and amount to little more than kids yelling "My attack is better than yours!" "I counter your attack with something crazy!" "Oh yeah? My attack just leveled up and I killed you!" "No, your power just made me stronger! I am back from the dead!" And so on. 
Full Metal Alchemist is super-long, but the twists it goes through seem much better planned. It effectively toys with the audience's expectations of what the rules governing its fictional universe are, and is anchored by some really great character drama (and excellent voice acting). 
But once you've gotten the anime bug, and if you like dense plots and absolutely no handholding, try Ghost in the Shell. Social commentary for a society that doesn't exist. (Yet.) Not for a tired mind.

#11 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I'd suggest the shows that got me into anime so Outlaw Star, and Gundam Wing.

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -

Try Girls Bravo.
 
Or Genshiken, Welcome to the N.H.K., Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and even Death Note.
 
We've got a million threads on the subject that are just the same stuff each time, just use the search bar.

Online
#13 Posted by Wes899 (2115 posts) -

I'm not an anime fan at all but I enjoyed Deathnote, Cowboy Bebop, and Haruhi. Check those I guess.

#14 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hajime No Ippo and Cowboy Bebop.

#15 Edited by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -

Clannad
Code Geass
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Kannagi
Full Metal Panic
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
or any of the big three like Bleach,Naruto, and One Piece
o and Deathnote, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai are also good

#16 Posted by DarkShaper (1335 posts) -

These are movies but I would recommend Spirited Away and  Princess Mononoke.

#17 Posted by RecSpec (3819 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop, never really thought about it, but Hajime no Ippo would be a good one too.

#18 Posted by Fallen189 (5009 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" Ghost In The Shell is great if you're looking for some sci-fi anime. "
As much as I respect this as a movie, I can't agree. It's far too philsophical and preachy for a first time movie, as someone who's not that into anime. It's a masterpiece, sure, but for "Intro" stuff, I wouldn't say this
 
I'd probably say to try out:
Azumanga Daioh (Intro to moe and cutesy schoolgirly sitcom)
FLCL (Wacky comedy with good music)
Cowboy Bebop (The standard for GOOD content and...more good music)
Monster (Monster might be good, because it's an incredibly realistic story, similar to many western shows, about a doctor embroiled in a murder case. No silly apple eating demons, or any supernatural shit, just a good thriller)
#19 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

Gurren Lagann
Clannad
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

#20 Posted by aurahack (2271 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" Ghost In The Shell is great if you're looking for some sci-fi anime. "
As much as I respect this as a movie, I can't agree. It's far too philsophical and preachy for a first time movie, as someone who's not that into anime. It's a masterpiece, sure, but for "Intro" stuff, I wouldn't say this    
 I'd probably say to try out: Azumanga Daioh (Intro to moe and cutesy schoolgirly sitcom)  
  FLCL (Wacky comedy with good music)   
 Cowboy Bebop (The standard for GOOD content and...more good music)   
 Monster (Monster might be good, because it's an incredibly realistic story, similar to many western shows, about a doctor embroiled in a murder case. No silly apple eating demons, or any supernatural shit, just a good thriller) "
Exactly what this guy just said. FLCL and Cowboy Bepop are great starters, as is Samurai Champloo. I'd also recommend Black Cat, which is slightly more obscure but still super great. Lovely Complex, too, if you can stand the high-school romance comedy thing. I personally hate them, but LoveCom is clever enough to be super awesome and not tediously annoying. :/ 
 
Once that's done, watch both seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. That right there is about as good as anime will ever get. 
#21 Edited by ryoma122 (699 posts) -
@one_2nd said:

" @NekuSakuraba:  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE 
 CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  CASE CLOSED  "
 

i agree with this guy and eyeshield is a good one if you dont mind subs
#22 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Well it's not recent any more, but yeah another vote for Cowboy Bebop.  It's probably the most consistent story-arc'd anime I can think of off-the-bat.  It's missing the batshit and nonlinear storytelling of a lot of anime.

#23 Posted by MB (12429 posts) -

Ninja Scroll! Sorry, I always say that because it's the only anime I've ever seen that I actually liked. Probably because it's ridiculously violent and gory. Good stuff.

Moderator
#24 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@MB said:
" Ninja Scroll! Sorry, I always say that because it's the only anime I've ever seen that I actually liked. Probably because it's ridiculously violent and gory. Good stuff. "
  
  D:
#25 Edited by PenguinDust (12522 posts) -

Well it depends on your interests really.  Below are a few examples from various genres.  Some of these are well regarded, others appeal to personal tastes, and a few are often singled out as "what's wrong with anime", but I'll leave that for you to decide.  These are some of the shows I've seen all or enough to recommend, and so I am doing so here.  I should add that they are not numbered in any order of preference.

  • Space Opera - Adventures in outer space.  May or may not also include giant robots (usually does however)
  1. Martian Successor Nadesico
  2. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor 
  3. Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars/BotSII  
  4. Space Pirate Captain Harlock 
  5. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Macross 7
  6. Legend of the Galaxy Heroes (more advanced viewing)
  • Giant Robot - Boys (and girls occasionally) love their big big toys
  1. Gundam Wing/Gundam Seed (non-canon Gundam)
  2. Gundam 79/Gundam 0083 (canon Gundam) 
  3. Big O 
  4. Gurran Lagann
  5. Fullmetal Panic/Fumoffu/Second Raid
  6. Shin Mazinger Shougkei Z Hen 
  7. Eureka Seven
  8. Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion
  • Fantasy - Swords, sorcery, etc...old school D&D stuff in anime form
  1. The Slayers (4 seasons)
  2. Fairy Tail* 
  3. Koihime Musou/Shin Koihime Musou/SKM~Otonme Tairan ("good girl" series) 
  4. Claymore
  • Old Japan - Samurai and various demons hunting stuff
  1. Rurouni Kenshin 
  2. Samurai Champloo
  3. Inuyasha
  • Modern day - Action adventures often (but not always) set in modern day Japan.  Might be sci-fi, might be magic
  1. Kekkaishi
  2. Yu Yu Hakusho
  3. Occult Academy*
  4. High School of the Dead*
  5. Fate Stay/Night 
  6. Black Lagoon
  7. Gunslinger Girl/GG: Il Teatrino
  8. Shakugan no Shana 
  • Alternate Reality - Settings that are very similar to ours but different
  1. Fullmetal Alchemist/FMA Brotherhood 
  2. Read or Die
  3. Sora no Woto  
  4. A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun
  5. Soul Eater 
  6. Last Exile
  7. Blue Submarine 6
  8. Strike Witches/2* (warning! pants not included)
  • Comedy & Harem - Silly exploits of characters often caught in oddball romances
  1. Rosario+Vampire/R+V Capu
  2. To Love Ru
  3. The Familiar of Zero 
  4. Negima! / Negima?!
  5. Pani Poni Dash (very odd)  
  6. Baka to Test to Shokanju
  7. K-On!/!!*
  • Boobies! - Not necessarily great art, but full of nature's jiggliest invention
  1. Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny/Great Guardians/Xtreme Xecutioner
  2. Ladies vs Butlers
  3. Sekirei/S: Pure Engagement*
  4. Asobi ni Iku Yo* 
  5. Queen's Blade/2
 
[*] indicates this is a currently ongoing series with new episodes airing weekly
 
I would add the known "shonen" (anime for boys) series One Piece, Bleach and Naruto Shippuuden but each have hundreds of episodes (or 450+ in One Piece's situation), but I'm not sure someone beginning wants to get into that type of time sink. 
#26 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -

Check out Ouran High School Host Club. The art is great, and it's funny as hell.

#27 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

Angel Beats

#28 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Trigun

#29 Posted by filmfan2001 (27 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: 
Akira, of course. But it's quite old. Steam Boy, Wings Of Honneamise.
Any of the Studio Ghibli stuff. Especially  The Cat Returns,  Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away.
If u like Daft Punk music check out  Interstella 5555. 
 
Who said Simpson's and Family Guy!? That's not Anime!
#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Is the Avatar: Last Airbender anime...whether you consider the movie crap(Don't worry we all do) the show is great and you should definitely watch it.

#31 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@filmfan2001 said:
" @NekuSakuraba:  Akira, of course. But it's quite old. Steam Boy, Wings Of Honneamise.Any of the Studio Ghibli stuff. Especially  The Cat Returns,  Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away. If u like Daft Punk music check out  Interstella 5555.   Who said Simpson's and Family Guy!? That's not Anime! "
It was a joke.
#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

I really don't update my MyAnimeList, but I do update my " Animes I have watched" list over at Anime Vice.  A good starter anime?  Hmm...  How about Toradora?

#33 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@EvolutionX0 said:
" Go here, I'm not being a douche..but your more likely going to get a decent response other than getting flamed. 
http://myanimelist.net/      but i guess you can watch Full Metal Alchemist as a starter. "
Seriously this guy is right though, this site gives good information on every anime and even has a recommendation system that points you towards other anime similar to your favorites.
#34 Posted by Shadow (4980 posts) -

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood just finished and it's way better than the original series.  Gurren Lagann is also amazing.  Of course, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece are great, but everybody knows about those.  If that's not enough, then these are also very good: Eureka 7, Death Note, Fairy Tail, Code Geass, Skip Beat, Toradora, Hajime No Ippo, Durarara, Lucky Star, Soul Eater, Macross Frontier, Basquash, Seirei No Moribito, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, Ruroni (spelling) Kenshin, FLCL, and a bunch of others I'm forgetting right now.
@one_2nd:
and yes, watch Case Closed (Detective Conan) if what you're looking for is 500+ murder mysteries with zero plot development through all but the first episode.

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Another good site for anime news, anime encyclopedia, etc. is Anime News Network.  Anime Vice's former staff member Gia does some stuff over there.

#36 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -
@Shadow: I don't like it for the plot, the cases are amazing. 
#37 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Code Geass

#38 Edited by RJay_64 (631 posts) -

Anime could mean a million different type of shows.  It's very broad to say "What anime should I watch?"  Not that I would be of any help anyway since I don't know many shows.  K-On!! is recent and funny!!

#39 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

Everybody Loves Raymond.

#40 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

Like several others have said, Cowboy Bebop. It wasn't the first anime I watched (far from it actually), but it is by far my favorite, but it will make you want more after the ending, which is why I've watched the series 3 times. The movie is pretty good as well. 
 
Other animes I would recommend: 
Death Note 
Fullmetal Alchemist (2004 version) 
Code Geass 
Samurai Champloo 
Yu Yu Hakusho 

#41 Posted by teh_destroyer (3567 posts) -

Death Note, Gunslinger Girl, and Cowboy Bepop are fantastic starts to get anyone into anime. 

#42 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE!
#43 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming. 
#44 Edited by Lawrens (688 posts) -

I'm not an expert in anime, but for starters I suggest watching the films and OVAs that are way shorter than the typical long low budget tv series, try staying away from tv series that are low budget and based off Mangas, other than a few specific ones that differentiate itself from the original with better pacing and directing. The ones that follows too close to the mangas has a lot of fillers, and the animations aren't really that great to begin with, so unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I suggest you go for the shorter and higher ratings animes, at least they have better animations to start with.

Here's a few that are good or decent that I've seen:
Princess Mononoke
Laputa
Nausicaa
Whisper of the heart
Grave of the fireflies

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars

Ghost in the shell
Ghost in the shell 2: Innocence
Sky Crawlers

Evangelion (along with the end of evangelion film after, the ending for the original was pretty sloppy though amusing, the film gives it a "proper" closure)
FLCL
Rebuild of Evangelion (there's still 2 films coming out for this, so you could just wait until it's finished, watch the original series first, I liked it better than what I've seen from the new films so far).

Someone else could probably fill you in better with other tv series and OVAs, as my knowledge with animes only goes up to the 90s, I stopped watching them for quite some time.

#45 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW
#46 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW "
Have you seen the classic episode where Raymond's mother is overbearing and doesn't understand the concept of boundaries? Great ep with an even greater ending that I won't spoil for you if you haven't experienced the genius of that particular episode yet.
#47 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW "
Have you seen the classic episode where Raymond's mother is overbearing and doesn't understand the concept of boundaries? Great ep with an even greater ending that I won't spoil for you if you haven't experienced the genius of that particular episode yet. "
NO I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE YET  :::RUNS OFF TO WATCH EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND::
#48 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW "
Have you seen the classic episode where Raymond's mother is overbearing and doesn't understand the concept of boundaries? Great ep with an even greater ending that I won't spoil for you if you haven't experienced the genius of that particular episode yet. "
NO I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE YET  :::RUNS OFF TO WATCH EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND:: "
Series finale breaks my heart every time. 
#49 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW "
Have you seen the classic episode where Raymond's mother is overbearing and doesn't understand the concept of boundaries? Great ep with an even greater ending that I won't spoil for you if you haven't experienced the genius of that particular episode yet. "
NO I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE YET  :::RUNS OFF TO WATCH EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND:: "
Series finale breaks my heart every time.  "
I like Everybody Loves Raymond. :(
#50 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" @HS21 said:
" Everybody Loves Raymond. "
YES I VOTE FOR THIS ONE! "
It's funny because everybody doesn't love Raymond, which is contrary to the title of the show itself. Just a taste of the brilliant humour found in this classic piece of basic cable programming.  "
I LIKE THE EPISODE WHERE RAYMOND DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE HIS WIFE MAD, BUT MAKES IT UP TO HER SOMEHOW "
Have you seen the classic episode where Raymond's mother is overbearing and doesn't understand the concept of boundaries? Great ep with an even greater ending that I won't spoil for you if you haven't experienced the genius of that particular episode yet. "
NO I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE YET  :::RUNS OFF TO WATCH EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND:: "
Series finale breaks my heart every time.  "
I like Everybody Loves Raymond. :( "
So do we. Join the club in this hip, cool "Everybody Loves Raymond" fan thread.