#1 Edited by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

It seems that for awhile now, GB has lacked variety. 90% of content produced is QL's and variations on QL's (random pc game, flight club). Now don't get me wrong, I love Quick Looks. Long, unedited gameplay was a great idea, and I'm glad it's BG's main focus. But I've been a user of GB since How to Build a Bomb: Episode 1, and it's a bummer to see not anything new and interesting from the crew.

GiantBomb used to try out a lot of things back then, they were always coming up with new ideas, and they did a lot more dumb shit on camera (look up "a wager fulfilled" and that coke drinking contest they had). And they've also cut a TON of stuff. What happened to the new and improved QOTW? Why did Wutang just stop and never come back? Remember when Jeff put out that weekly article about site traffic, where he told us the most played games and the most visited pages for that week? Remember how Intern Farmville just stopped and never returned, despite Ryan saying it would.

These things could've been cut for any number of reasons, the community didn't like it (that's why they cut the original QOTW), maybe a lack of funds from WM, which is what I hope, because it means interesting stuff in the future.

Hopefully soon we'll get out of this transition phase. I know these guys are creative and I know (or at least hope) they've got some new and interesting things planned for the future to utilize their new resources. I particularly hope the crew (namely Jeff, Ryan, and Brad) write more articles, just editorials. I love video content, but these guys are writers that don't do much writing outside of reviews. I'd love to read an article by Ryan on any given gaming topic. I'd actually love to see the guys put out some more content along the lines of what the interns had been doing, guides and stuff like that would be fairly easy to put together.

Anyone else feel this way? What kind of new things would you like to see from GB?

More stuff like this.

Building with Brad

A wager Fulfilled

Coke Chug Challenge

Betting the Farmville

Wutang

GB App Commercial

Button Motherfucking Mashing

#2 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm pretty happy with what we have now. I absolutely want them to focus on video content, not articles.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4289 posts) -

The only thing I want to see from the GB crew is things the GB crew wants to do.

I know it sounds like a traditional, bullshitty fanboy answer, but, in my opinion, their best work seems to be when they all seem to be legitimately excited/curious about what they're doing.

#4 Posted by BonOrbitz (2160 posts) -

That's why I loved the Whiskey Media Happy Hour and Big Live Live Show: they were variety shows of all these things I love and I miss them like mad.

I really haven't thought about it, but GB does need a bit more video variety. I love the Quick Looks, Jeff's Jar videos, Mail Bag, and I Love Mondays but the site needs something fresh and different. Vinny's "update" was refreshing because we got an interesting update that wasn't expected. Patrick's Worth a Read, while not video-centric, is a pretty interesting grab-bag of content.

Some things I'd like to see:

• More developer/publisher interaction with GB.
  • More interaction with the community. I wish the GB crew a more "hands-on" presence in the forums and that they talked more about the forums on their podcast a la Weekend Confirmed. This is my one problem with Giant Bomb- the connection between the Bomb crew and the community feels pretty weak.
  • A video format like the old 1Up Show? How about a series like 1Up's Broken Pixels where they intentionally play bad games and riff on them MST3K style? Don't rip them off, but get inspired.

I hope we'll see new stuff with the site redesign.

#5 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Ryan said they stopped Farmville because it was boring. Also, the nonstop bitching from the community might've played a role.

#6 Edited by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

@Jason_Bourne: Well hasn't the premium stuff been more like that? Like the amazing video where Vinny makes cables??

Though I would've loved to see another "How to move a bomb" into their new offices

#7 Posted by pyromagnestir (4247 posts) -

We don't need more betting the farmville that shit was terrible. Also I don't read articles now that I have internet that doesn't suck so I can watch videos.

#8 Posted by Harkat (1100 posts) -

@bonorbitz: I'm actually kinda glad they don't interact too much with the community. At least with memes and stuff, it would feel really cheap if Brad popped into every thread about him and they talked about photoshops and youtube shenanigans the community made on the bombcast.

#9 Posted by TheSquarePear (158 posts) -

More staff scrub leagues/tournaments (with the whole of GameSpot) where everyone meets Brad so we can prove that Brad is good at video games.

#10 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@mercutio123 said:

@Jason_Bourne: Well hasn't the premium stuff been more like that? Like the amazing video where Vinny makes cables??

There's a few things here and there, but aside from Jar Time, the majority of stuff is variations on the quick look formula.

#11 Posted by ViciousReiven (818 posts) -

I really miss QOTW fan answers, but apparently you all fucking suck and are too lazy to make them entertaining so they trashed it.

I do miss the Happy Hour, but only because of the silly on camera stuff and not the actual segments, though that can't really be brought back with how Whiskey was all split up.

Other than those the only thing they did that I'd want back is Wutang, which is weird why it stopped since Ryan said multiple times that they had already recorded a bunch of episodes for it.

Though I'm personaly totally fine with more QL and QL-style videos, I LOVE Breaking Brad, Random PC Game, and Load Our Last Save.

#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

The only thing I want to see from the GB crew is things the GB crew wants to do.

I know it sounds like a traditional, bullshitty fanboy answer, but, in my opinion, their best work seems to be when they all seem to be legitimately excited/curious about what they're doing.

I can guarantee you that they aren't satisfied with what they're doing now. If they could be doing more cool, awesome shit, they would, because what goes up on the site now, beside most of Patrick's stuff, is really bare bones.

#13 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

The crew is rebuilding the site in a way since the move, from what i understand its been ruff even puting quick looks at the rate that they have been in the last couple of weeks without equipment without Vinny and Drew.

Have some patience they said the site will be better from the move to CBSI and i don't see any reason why that shouldn't happen in the near future.

GB booth at E3?

#14 Posted by urban_ryoga (83 posts) -

@owack6 said:

GB booth at E3?

Jeff already said on a Bombcast that this wouldn't happen since they don't have enough staff. There is a possibility of hijacking the Gamespot booth from time to time, but for them to have their own booth would mean their entire existence at E3 would be at said booth.

#15 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

I'm not really bothered, to be honest. It seems like theres always something interesting around the corner with these guys (and this is coming from a non premium member).

#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

I'm pretty sure Ryan said they stopped Farmville because it was boring. Also, the nonstop bitching from the community might've played a role.

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers when they were doing the Farmville stuff how people bitched at them endlessly for "shoving the crappy interns down our throats"?

#17 Posted by urban_ryoga (83 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers when they were doing the Farmville stuff how people bitched at them endlessly for "shoving the crappy interns down our throats"?

Maybe, I didn't even bother to watch it.

#19 Posted by DeF (4801 posts) -

I get where you're coming from, I'd definitely love to see more of the "dumb shit" that they always seem to wanna do.

#20 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

I think the variety of content is fine at the moment. The only thing I wish for is a return of TANG.

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Some of you guys on here really do think you have a say in all this huh? Truth is, I bet they don't really care about what you want or like. I think it'd be best to drop any notion of you having any influence in their decision making with their website. I'm sure they have some ideas that are in the works, but for now why not stick with what works? Let them do what they want. It's better this way.

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I think that we should give them some more time to get situated

#23 Posted by Chindie (192 posts) -

Variety is the spice of life. I love the QLs (...usually), and most other things they get upto, but it has been a little one track for a while. Perhaps they've just not had anything hit them.

On the written front, I'd be really happy to see more written content that isn't from the hand of Klepek. Even the odd article by Alex (and I'm not the greatest fan of his style if I'm honest) is a relief. The other guys have different voices, different perspectives, different life outlooks that provide a nice spin to the stuff we see put out by the site. Reading article after article in the same voice with the same points and the same style is a little grim.

#24 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

a lot of those things are like, one off things that were separated by six month intervals. what makes the mythic coke chugging thing different than the earthquake drill video?

#25 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

You seriously want more Betting the Farmville? The exciting investor was great... until everyone realized it was fucking Farmvile.

#26 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@Animasta: Those were more examples of the "dumb shit" we all love.

@csl316: Betting the Farmville wasn't very good, I agree. Farmville just doesn't have enough to warrant daily updates. But the concept was interesting, It's more about it being different and new than anything else.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I'm pretty happy with what we have now. I absolutely want them to focus on video content, not articles.

You mean you prefer Patrick's voice to his writing? T...the fuck? I didn't even know that was possible. "0_o" does not come close to capturing the what-the-fuckness of this post.

#28 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

@Jason_Bourne: I get what you mean, some more out of the blue stuff would be nice to see. I, too, would like a revival of Button Mashing.

Once all their equipment comes, I'm sure we'll get more new and exciting stuff. Hopefully it shouldn't take another week or so. I mean... how long can it take to get completely settled?

#29 Edited by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I'm here for the personalities. I love watching the quick looks and listening to the banter between them. Honestly, I rarely even watch the footage because I'm just not interested in the game. If they'd like to do more stuff I hope they do it because I want to see their personalities shine through it. If not and they're happy with where they are now, I'm cool with that too.

#30 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

I too want more written content from Jeff, Ryan and Brad.

#31 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Jason_Bourne: that earthquake video was plenty dumb

#32 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

They are in a transition and i get where you are coming from but honestly i would rather take that fun old video content back over articles, GB has always been more focused on video content rather then boring articles you can get elsewhere.

The worth reading stuff is great but other then that, that is all we really need.. if you want the typical boring articles go to kotaku, joystiq, ign, gamespot, 1up or the billion other sites that offer it, the one thing they don't offer is the stuff GB exceeds at and that is great interaction with fans and all the great videos but i won't bitch at the lack of interaction/videos because they are in a transition phase.

#33 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

I think what's more important is the quality and relevance of the content put up, and Giant Bomb more than any other gaming site out there is consistent with quality and relevance. I do like to have some variety, such as TANG and some of the premium member stuff I used to watch when I was one. A lot of it was really cool, and I expect as they settle in at CBSi, we will probably see more dedicated/crazy variety up on the site.

#34 Posted by kingofpeanuts (478 posts) -

I agree with you!

#35 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

If you think that the staff content is lacking variety you should look at the forums. 

#36 Edited by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Think it is safe to say that Giantbomb.com, a website about video games, is dead.

#37 Posted by Levius (1077 posts) -

I think talking over gameplay, in its various forms, has become somewhat of a crutch, but to be fair they really don't have the man power to do much else by way of video content. Hopefully, making the bread and butter stuff will get more efficient/streamlined as time goes on, giving the guys room for more experimental works.

Betting the Farmville deserved a premature death as the interns alone were making better content at the time.

#38 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I just want TANG to come back!

#39 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@Jimi said:

I think the variety of content is fine at the moment. The only thing I wish for is a return of TANG.

I agree, and yeah.

#40 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I want them to do a tour of the Gamespot offices dress up as superheroes.

#41 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

GB's lack of variety has little to do with its recent acquisition by CBSi. Before the move GB was turning out little more than QLs or what basically amounted to glorified QLs. Maybe these rebranded Let's Plays bring in more views for the effort, but the pretension that QLs are some innovative form of game criticism is a little silly. If they seem relatively adequate, it is only because the written form of game criticism is often so poor. Unfortunately, QLs often do not amount to much in terms of criticism, and they sometimes misrepresent (i.e., the recent Fez QL). In general QLs fail to be succinct buying advice as well as illuminating criticism, and are more for showcasing the staff's personality. I have no problem with that, but with the Bombcast, litany of QLs, TNT, premium content (which is basically QLs), ER, ect., I wouldn't mind seeing something a little more ambitious and different from GB. That's not to say they've never tried, but it has been awhile. As a non-subscriber I do worry about anything that's not a QL being relegated to the Premium Members side of things though. I mean, there used to be QL Throwbacks and stuff, but those are now LOLS and Random PC game. If TANG or Building With Brad had never been done until now I can't help but feel they would be a Premium thing. I don't mean to sound entitled, only excited and eager about GB. Hopefully site content becomes a little more varied for everyone.

#42 Posted by wjb (1638 posts) -

Not being a dick because I'm legitimately curious, but what else is there left to do in TANG? Wasn't the whole point of WU-TANG because Ryan exhausted all video-game inspired films (except for maybe the last Resident Evil that came out after the fact)?

What other films not done yet are applicable for WU-TANG? Seriously, kind of curious, because I thought he covered the essentials.

#43 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i would always be happy to see new types of videos and stuff, but i'm okay with what we have right now. the occasional mailbag is great, and premium features like Jar Time, Random PC Game, etc. are all a treat to watch. QLs are still good, although i only really watch them when it's about a game i have some sort of interest in.

i really think the one thing that needs work is TNT. those are usually a hit or miss, and there are tons of times where it's not really that fun to watch the latest release that week. it would be fun if they dove back into older games instead of picking a new release that doesn't always seem like the greatest thing to watch (see: first person shooters).

maybe they could have another Street Fighter TNT so i won't get kicked off for a third time. ; ;

#44 Posted by alanm26v5 (437 posts) -

I thought the new office videos have been entertaining. But really there would be nothing worse than trying to force a bunch of random stuff, for them or us. It seems to happen when and how they want it to. And of course most of the content will be Quicklooks, because it's a video content website, about video games. They have said they have ideas and plans for crazy stuff in the works though, right?

#45 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@will_leisure: There were at least 4 or 5 more movies he could've done. Ryan said more than once it was going to continue, but it just never happened.

@AjayRaz: The best TNT's are always the 4 guys playing co-op, ala Dead Island or something like Cards Against Humanity. A lot of people wouldn't like even less community content, but i say cut out the community. Make it GB crew co-op night

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

No i totally remember hearing that, and sighing.

#47 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@Jason_Bourne: having the crew there always makes for the best TNT. even though FPS games are the least interesting to watch, it would be neat to watch them play Left 4 Dead or something like that.

#48 Posted by BonOrbitz (2160 posts) -

@Harkat said:

@bonorbitz: I'm actually kinda glad they don't interact too much with the community. At least with memes and stuff, it would feel really cheap if Brad popped into every thread about him and they talked about photoshops and youtube shenanigans the community made on the bombcast.

With all the memes, dick-sucking, and negative threads I'd want them to stay away as well. Stick with gaming related and some off-topic threads in order to chat and participate more with fellow Bombers.