#1 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

So I'm trying to figure something out and can't find a solid answer. I often bring my streaming media player to my girlfriend's house to watch movies with and I've ended up just leaving it there for her to use since I can use my Xbox as a streaming device anyway. What I want to know, though, is whether it's "OK" for us to use Netflix at the same time.

It says on the Netflix streaming plan "Unlimited streaming- 2 devices at once" which means I can legally stream two different movies to my TV and say Kindle Fire HD at the same time. Furthermore, I take that to mean that I could watch 'on the go' on my Kindle Fire while someone else could watch on my TV at home at the same time. Seeing as you can use Netflix anywhere, I don't see why there would be a problem with that.

The question is, could I in any way get in trouble for letting her stream from my account while I also stream at home (we live about 55 miles apart). We're only using two devices, which is all the streaming plan says, and I pay for the subscription.

What do you think? I mean I believe I'm within my rights as my subscription explicitly gives me permission to stream to two devices at a time. Sure I'm using it in two households, but what's the difference between that, or say someone in my home using it while I use it on the road on a mobile device?

#2 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3364 posts) -

It says on two streaming devices at the same time so I don't believe it should be an issue unless you stream from more with that account. I mean I know I've had a roommate stream from my netflix account before while I was watching streamed stuff from my ipad at work and didn't have an issue. Not at the distance that you are referring to though.

#3 Posted by Kierkegaard (592 posts) -

@jdh5153: Haven't tried this in a while, but a few years ago my netflix stream wouldn't work if I my parents were using it at home while I was at college. Sounds like streaming plans have changed though. Either way, the only risk you're taking is that it won't work for you or her while the other streams. If it already is working, I don't see how that could be the case if Netflix wasn't cool with it. If they let you do it, do it. No need to fear here. @jdh5153: Haven't tried this in a while, but a few years ago my netflix stream wouldn't work if I my parents were using it at home while I was at college. Sounds like streaming plans have changed though. Either way, the only risk you're taking is that it won't work for you or her while the other streams. If it already is working, I don't see how that could be the case if Netflix wasn't cool with it. If they let you do it, do it. No need to fear here.

#4 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@jdh5153: I have my own place and use my Dad's Netflix account at the same time all the time. We live in different cities. My brother and his girlfriend's daughter also use it (also in different cities). There're no issues. The only problem we ever had is when three people tried to use it at once, and it just wouldn't let the third person use it as it was "already active on two devices at this moment".

Bottom line, use it as much as you want. I have been for years and it has never come up. You're fine. They kind of let people take advantage of them. I'm basically getting free Netflix. It may be a bit immoral, but it's not a breach of contract or illegal, and I think they expect people to use it that way.

Look at it this way, if she was your wife, and across the country for a few months on a business trip, and she wanted to use it, it would be shitty of them to not let her. I think that's the reasoning, and why they'll never crackdown on "well you were using it far apart in two places at once".

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6532 posts) -

@Kierkegaard: I think if you have a two discs subscription, you're allowed to have two concurrent streams, three discs would be three concurrent, etc. If you only have the one disc or streaming only plan, you can only view on one device at a time. Maybe that's changed though, I'm not sure.

As far as the original question, while I'm sure Netflix probably would prefer that you get two subscriptions, you're totally fine sharing.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

@Kierkegaard: I think if you have a two discs subscription, you're allowed to have two concurrent streams, three discs would be three concurrent, etc. If you only have the one disc or streaming only plan, you can only view on one device at a time. Maybe that's changed though, I'm not sure.

As far as the original question, while I'm sure Netflix probably would prefer that you get two subscriptions, you're totally fine sharing.

What's a disc? O.o People still get DVD's mailed to them? What is this the dark ages? I just have a streaming subscription which allows two concurrent streams. It works right now, I just wasn't sure if Netflix would cancel my account or something.

#7 Posted by Kierkegaard (592 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@Chaser324 said:

@Kierkegaard: I think if you have a two discs subscription, you're allowed to have two concurrent streams, three discs would be three concurrent, etc. If you only have the one disc or streaming only plan, you can only view on one device at a time. Maybe that's changed though, I'm not sure.

As far as the original question, while I'm sure Netflix probably would prefer that you get two subscriptions, you're totally fine sharing.

What's a disc? O.o People still get DVD's mailed to them? What is this the dark ages? I just have a streaming subscription which allows two concurrent streams. It works right now, I just wasn't sure if Netflix would cancel my account or something.

If you haven't gotten a strongly worded email or an error while watching, I think you're safe, friend.

Meanwhile, today I learned that there is correlation between disks and amount of devices one can use to stream. Cool.

#8 Posted by Chaser324 (6532 posts) -

@Kierkegaard: There might no longer be any correlation between discs and the number of concurrent streams any more. There are some places that just say its a max of two regardless of your plan, and there are other places that say "number of discs == number of concurrent streams".

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

@Kierkegaard: There might no longer be any correlation between discs and the number of concurrent streams any more. There are some places that just say its a max of two regardless of your plan, and there are other places that say "number of discs == number of concurrent streams".

Yeah, I get one disc and have 3 concurrent streams.

#10 Posted by Kierkegaard (592 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Chaser324 said:

@Kierkegaard: There might no longer be any correlation between discs and the number of concurrent streams any more. There are some places that just say its a max of two regardless of your plan, and there are other places that say "number of discs == number of concurrent streams".

Yeah, I get one disc and have 3 concurrent streams.

Well, great. Thanks for clearing that up.

#11 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I have an account which several of my friends use, no problems when all stream stuff separately.

#12 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

The only problem seems to be that the recommendations gets fucked up.