This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by Pr1mus (3868 posts) -

I was gone for an hour, are we still talking about how great Ketchup is or the merits of other condiments?

#102 Edited by OldGuy (1546 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

@Vinchenzo: Ewwwww Lou's is the woooorst.

@WilltheMagicAsian: I usually wouldn't use kraut on a dog. That's more a brat thing, IMO.

@OldGuy: Oh god, now I want a chili dog. It's been months since I last had one.

Well, do so then! Here's my recipe:

Coney Sauce

2lb     Ground beef
1        Medium onion, minced
2        Cloves garlic, minced
3T      Paprika
2t       Chili powder
1T      Dry mustard
1/2t    Oregano
1/2t    Cumin
1/4t    Red Pepper
1/4t    Black Pepper
1t       Salt
1 can    Tomato paste
1t       Worcestershire sauce
Water to cover

Add all ingredients, mix, cook for 2 to 4 hours, adjust water during cooking to create the sauce consistency you desire.  Thin and runny for a Detroit style Coney Dog, dry and thick for a Flint style Coney Dog.

Note that you're going to want to get your hands into the ground beef/water mixture before you add the spices and it starts heating to get the beef completely broken up and smooth (you're going for a sauce here after all) - you can try to use a spoon, a fork, a potato masher or what have you but your hands are really the best tool for this job (short nails and lots of soap when you're done or close fitting food grade gloves are a must here).

Use a good quality dog and mustard (yellow is traditional, but I like a mustard with more interest -- using a Düsseldorf mustard turns it into an all-the-way Texas Dog). I make my own buns as well (as I can't find any buns I like).

There, hopefully this thread now has some semblance of redeeming value. :-)
#103 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

@OldGuy:

Philistine.

That seems like a decent recipe for a Detroit style chili dog, but making it thicker hardly makes it the far superior Flint-style coney.

#104 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1563 posts) -

As a Torontonian, I find cities with distinct (if mostly stupid) regional identities kind of charming. There’s no “Toronto dish,” most people I know don’t give a shit about the Leafs (though, as the most profitable team, someone must?), and the most robust defence of the city you’ll get from residents is “it’s not as bad as you think” or a retread of the “it’s the most multicultural city in the world” argument.

Toronto does have some fantastic ethnic food, but it’s basically just because it’s an immigrant city, and a lot of the best stuff is up in the suburbs because that’s where the immigrants with money go.

#105 Posted by mlarrabee (2920 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Vinchenzo said:

I myself am from Chicago, and I just want to tell you to stop trying to represent Chicago. Those deep-dish, Chicago hot dog, Cubs and Bears loving purists are the worst. And no I'm not saying deep-dish or Chicago hot dogs are bad, I love them as well, but don't have dumb arguments defending deep-dish just because you're from Chicago.

Do you also talk in similar patterns to Patrick and Obama? I notice they pause in the weirdest spots mid sentence. Christopher Walken style.

"There's nothing here... that you haven't seen before... except for a couple of extra gallons... of body fluids!"

#106 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I think Kanye West should be the new authority on Chicago

#107 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1038 posts) -

Patrick isn't even from Chicago, he's from Arlington Heights. Speakling as a Chicago suburbanite myself (Lisle Illinois, motherfuckers!), I know it might seem a lot simpler to tell people you're from Chicago, but it's a bald-faced lie. Most of the people who say they're from Chicago aren't, really. The Chicagoland area is like 80% suburbs.

#108 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Maybe you're just a Chicago poser.

#109 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Fuck you.

#110 Posted by Bocam (3713 posts) -

This thread has gone in some weird directions...

#111 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Who fucking cares how he represents where he's from? Are all people from Chicago supposed to be the same person and think the same way? It's like saying all Washingtonians are tree hugging liberals. I'm a Washingtonian and I fucking hate tree hugging liberals. But if some tree hugging liberal wants to go and announce that all Washingtonians are all tree hugging liberals then more power to him because those that actually believe that that opinion is truth would believe anything anyway and are lost to me.

#112 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Patrick isn't even from Chicago, he's from Arlington Heights. Speakling as a Chicago suburbanite myself (Lisle Illinois, motherfuckers!), I know it might seem a lot simpler to tell people you're from Chicago, but it's a bald-faced lie. Most of the people who say they're from Chicago aren't, really. The Chicagoland area is like 80% suburbs.

I think it's easier and also the topics he brings up as "being from Chicago" aren't strictly restricted to Chicago. I actually live near Arlington Heights and of course nobody will know the name of a suburb in Illinois so you just say Chicago. I'm glad I don't live in Chicago to be fair.

#113 Posted by jonnybob (166 posts) -

@OldGuy: While we are arguing about dumb things, I would like to say that I disagree with your use of t and T for tsp and tbsp. That is all.... :)

#114 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2679 posts) -

I myself am from Phobos, and I just want to tell you to stop trying to represent the larger and closer of the two natural satellites of Mars. Those leather goddesses, pleasure domes, and scratch-n- sniff cards purists are the worst. And, no I'm not saying pleasure domes or leather goddesses are bad, I love them as well, but don't have dumb arguments defending them just because you're from Phobos.

I have a sudden, powerful urge to urinate.

#115 Posted by HatKing (5884 posts) -

Man, I could go for some deep dish pizza right now.

#116 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I'm surprised how many Chicago people there are in here. I'm from Waukegan, but I commute to school in Chicago. How 'bout that snowstorm, eh?

#117 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1038 posts) -

@Vinchenzo said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

I think it's easier and also the topics he brings up as "being from Chicago" aren't strictly restricted to Chicago. I actually live near Arlington Heights and of course nobody will know the name of a suburb in Illinois so you just say Chicago. I'm glad I don't live in Chicago to be fair.

Well there you go, my point is proven. I'm one guy who isn't from Chicago talking to another guy who isn't from Chicago who made a thread about another guy who isn't from Chicago, all arguing about who has the right to represent Chicago. Dumb thread is dumb.

@DolphinButter said:

I'm surprised how many Chicago people there are in here. I'm from Waukegan, but I commute to school in Chicago. How 'bout that snowstorm, eh?

I love snowstorms, I get to work from home and dick around on the internet!

#118 Posted by Sparkul (37 posts) -

@DolphinButter said:

I gotta drive from Lake Zurich to Grayslake tonight. What a load of shit.

#119 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

I've lived in The Chicago suburbs for 10 years, but I'm not originally from here so I guess I won't front.

I had Portillos for lunch. Pipeworks has been making some pretty good beer.

What were talking about again?

#120 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1726 posts) -

As someone who is also from Chicago too, as well, let me just say that this thread is goddamned retarded.  Also, fuck baseball, fuck football, and fuck Chicago-style hotdogs. Seriously, Chicago has amazing food and I will defend its quality to the death, but Chicago hotdogs are the worst. I have no guilt or shame in putting ketchup on one, because it's fucking delicious. 

I'm dying for some pizza right now.

#121 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@OldGuy: I appreciate the recipe! But, unfortunately, I'm up in Madison living in a dorm, and I definitely can't cook anything for 2-4 hours.

#122 Posted by Sparkul (37 posts) -

This tangent rules.

#123 Posted by MachoFantastico (4612 posts) -

Oh... you are just the worst.

#124 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

Oh look, you're still on this website. I remember you.

@laserbolts said:

Do everyone from Chicago say scenario wrong and as often as Patrick does? If so I never want to go there. Good hockey team though.

How does Patrick pronounce "scenario"?

#125 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

As a Cornish duder I just want to say that pasties from the other side of the Tamar are not pasties and Ginsters are the worst fucking pieces of trash to ever be unleashed upon this world.

This man. He speaks the truth. I am not Cornish, but greggs cornish pasties are simply an abomination.

Ginsters are also vomit pies. Fact.

#126 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

#127 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

wow this is stupid

#128 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@Hitchenson said:

As a Cornish duder I just want to say that pasties from the other side of the Tamar are not pasties and Ginsters are the worst fucking pieces of trash to ever be unleashed upon this world.

This man. He speaks the truth. I am not Cornish, but greggs cornish pasties are simply an abomination.

What's all this then? Are you blokes chatting about tiddly oggies?

#129 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Canteu said:

@Hitchenson said:

What's all this then? Are you blokes catting about tiddly oggies?

... Is that game played with cats and open sourced audio formats?

#130 Posted by gaminghooligan (1435 posts) -

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

I myself am from Phobos, and I just want to tell you to stop trying to represent the larger and closer of the two natural satellites of Mars. Those leather goddesses, pleasure domes, and scratch-n- sniff cards purists are the worst. And, no I'm not saying pleasure domes or leather goddesses are bad, I love them as well, but don't have dumb arguments defending them just because you're from Phobos.

I have a sudden, powerful urge to urinate.

Deimos resident here. People from Phobos are the worst. Everyone from the Voltaire crater thinks so.

#131 Posted by beeftothetaco (421 posts) -

Patrick Defense Force, on the scene!

#132 Posted by OldGuy (1546 posts) -
@oldenglishC: Having visited Motown a couple of times and sampled both the Detroit and Flint versions of the Coney (though, granted it was years ago) I wanted something with more complicated flavor (so, yes, I am a heathen not fit to sully the bottoms of the boots of the lowest of the low in Detroit Rock City) so I came up with the above.

If you want something closer to the "correct" version then you take out a quarter of the ground beef and substitute ground hot dogs (or, if you want you can go with ground beef heart, claimed on some versions), swap the dried mustard for yellow, change all the rest of the spices to just mild chili powder, swap tomato sauce for the paste and pull the onion. Knock yourself out.

Note that in my above (terrible, horrible, no good) version I simplify to "chili powder." I don't ever use generic premixed chili powder (as, again, I find it lacking) I make my own from whatever basic chili powders I find (or have ground from my own chili patch). A combo of 1/4 Habenero, 1/2 Serrano and 1/4 Chipolte (though some will find that too smoky, cut back till you're happy with it) is a good start.
#133 Posted by Milkman (16645 posts) -

New York pizza is better anyway so double fuck this thread.

#134 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

It's sce-nair-io not sce-nah-rio. Patrick says it like the British and he isn't British it drives me nuts.

#135 Posted by OldGuy (1546 posts) -
@jonnybob: Yeah, well I can't think of any cookbooks (off the to of my head) I own that abbreviate them at all so we're both wrong. :)
#136 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Canteu said:

@Hitchenson said:

What's all this then? Are you blokes chatting about tiddly oggies?

Yes, Canteu. You understand.

Right on, pard. Nothing like an 'ansome bleddy pasty.

#137 Posted by OldGuy (1546 posts) -
@Little_Socrates: A hot plate and a pot (or, hell, just a crock pot) are all you need (and you'd drive everyone on your floor/wing crazy with the smell)... :)
#138 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

As a Torontonian, I find cities with distinct (if mostly stupid) regional identities kind of charming. There’s no “Toronto dish,” most people I know don’t give a shit about the Leafs (though, as the most profitable team, someone must?), and the most robust defence of the city you’ll get from residents is “it’s not as bad as you think” or a retread of the “it’s the most multicultural city in the world” argument.

Toronto does have some fantastic ethnic food, but it’s basically just because it’s an immigrant city, and a lot of the best stuff is up in the suburbs because that’s where the immigrants with money go.

Yeah, I lived like two years in New York (Queens), but most of my life has been spent on the outskirts of Cleveland, Atlanta and Orlando. Ain't got shit for regional pride.

#139 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

As a Californian, please stop seeing the GB crew as being representations of the average Californian. People from Northern California are the worst.

They're hella bad.

#140 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Yeah, how dare he like things.

#141 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

I'm from New Jersey. I am the only person allowed to complain about negative stereotypes about where I live.

#142 Posted by Jixashauser (238 posts) -

It's starting to feel as though people are just making up Patrick related "issues". Stop complaining!

#143 Posted by Aetheldod (3551 posts) -

And you are all just gringos to me so live and let live dude

#144 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

I know some of these words.

#145 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

I used to work in Chicago at an old department store

I used to work in Chicago, I don't Work anymore.

A woman came into the store one day looking for a ____________

a __________ from the store

A ______________ she wanted a ___________ she got

I don't work anymore.

#146 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

@OldGuy:

I'm just messing with you (even though putting cumin in anything automatically takes my mouth to Mexican food-ville). I live in the Flint area, so coney dogs are near and dear to my heart clogged arteries.

Side note: Koegel Veinnas (which I believe are local) are the key to the Flint coney. They are the perfect hot dog.

#147 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I want a deep dish hotdog.

#148 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

How is this shitty thread still open?

#149 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Well I'm from Boston, so I am going to just eat some of this chowdah ( I AM ACTUALLY FROM MELROSE AND NOW LIVE IN CAMBRIDGE). I actually think its more weird that Jeff/Ryan associate Massachusetts with steak tips. Are steak tips regional to MA. How could I not know this.

Jeff Gerstmann ‏jeffgerstmann

Just remembered that the impending trip to PAX East means STEAK TIPS.

#150 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

@Vinchenzo said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

I get the feeling Chicago is equally glad that you don't live here. Does anyone else who is complaining actually live in Chicago? Like, can meet me at Hot Doug's in fifteen minutes? Has permit parking? Can look out their window and see assorted lawn chairs claiming parking spaces? Chicago is not Los Angeles. If you don't pay the city property tax rate or don't know who your alderman is, you don't live in Chicago.