A Note to Patrick (Regarding Chicago)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Ravenlight

@RenMcKormack said:

Well I'm from Boston, so I am going to just eat some of this chowdah ( I AM ACTUALLY FROM MELROSE AND NOW LIVE IN CAMBRIDGE). I actually think its more weird that Jeff/Ryan associate Massachusetts with steak tips. Are steak tips regional to MA. How could I not know this.

Jeff Gerstmann ‏jeffgerstmann

Just remembered that the impending trip to PAX East means STEAK TIPS.

Apparently they're regional to the Northeast. I had no idea either until I moved to the Southwest. I guess they're just sirloin strips everywhere else?

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By renmckormack

@Ravenlight: What a horrible fate for the rest of this great nation. I thought steak tips were just available. for everyone.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MikkaQ

@GrantHeaslip said:

As a Torontonian, I find cities with distinct (if mostly stupid) regional identities kind of charming. There’s no “Toronto dish,” most people I know don’t give a shit about the Leafs (though, as the most profitable team, someone must?), and the most robust defence of the city you’ll get from residents is “it’s not as bad as you think” or a retread of the “it’s the most multicultural city in the world” argument.

Toronto does have some fantastic ethnic food, but it’s basically just because it’s an immigrant city, and a lot of the best stuff is up in the suburbs because that’s where the immigrants with money go.

Oh man I can't disagree with you more on the suburbs thing, I find the ethnic food there to be such garbage compared to downtown's offerings. Sure the immigrants with money go north but the ones who can cook stay downtown.

I don't think we shine on any particular thing, but we're probably the best place in North America to get basically any given dish you want. No matter how weird it is. Unless it's a really specific regional dish, there's always gonna be a restaurant in Toronto that does it as well as it can be made. It actually makes travel pretty disappointing, a lot of nicer restaurants I've visited in Europe don't end up being that much better than what Toronto has, sometimes it's worse even. Certainly not enough of a difference to be worth travelling just for the food unless you go to some seriously nice places.

Because of that, I found my Chicago experience to be disappointing, the food was great but it didn't tread any new ground for me. Same with the shopping, the Eaton centre has everything the mag mile has contained in a smaller area. Still Chicago beats the shit out of Toronto when it comes to architecture. Toronto is one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen and Chicago one of the prettiest.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Ravenlight

@RenMcKormack:

They kind of are if you know what to look for at the store but the rest of the country just doesn't seem to think they're that special. UTTER MADNESS.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#155  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Take that Patrick!

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By daggon55

@DetectiveSpecial said:

@Vinchenzo said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Patrick isn't even from Chicago, he's from Arlington Heights. Speakling as a Chicago suburbanite myself (Lisle Illinois, motherfuckers!), I know it might seem a lot simpler to tell people you're from Chicago, but it's a bald-faced lie. Most of the people who say they're from Chicago aren't, really. The Chicagoland area is like 80% suburbs.

I think it's easier and also the topics he brings up as "being from Chicago" aren't strictly restricted to Chicago. I actually live near Arlington Heights and of course nobody will know the name of a suburb in Illinois so you just say Chicago. I'm glad I don't live in Chicago to be fair.

I get the feeling Chicago is equally glad that you don't live here. Does anyone else who is complaining actually live in Chicago? Like, can meet me at Hot Doug's in fifteen minutes? Has permit parking? Can look out their window and see assorted lawn chairs claiming parking spaces? Chicago is not Los Angeles. If you don't pay the city property tax rate or don't know who your alderman is, you don't live in Chicago.

I dunno, I think those of us in the burbs share in the culture despite not living in the city limits. I comute to a downtown office on the Metra a few days a week so the city is part of my life in a lot of ways. Sure its not exactly the same as living there, but I still think of myself as part Chicago at least. :)

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#157  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@DetectiveSpecial said:

Does anyone else who is complaining actually live in Chicago? Like, can meet me at Hot Doug's in fifteen minutes?

I like how your definition of Chicago completely disregards like 90% of the city. But then, that's Lake View for you. "South Side? Is that the new salon on Belmont?"

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kevin_Cogneto: There were other descriptors after the Hot Doug's reference, you know. Also, not Lakeview.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#159  Edited By MistaSparkle

Would you rather they just not say anything that revealed anything about their personality ever again? I can promise you that would make for a much more boring site, but hey as long as a few users are happy, right?

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By OneFreeman

@Vinchenzo: This is the probably the most pointless thread in history.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By jsnyder82

I represent Seattle.

Chicago can go fuck itself.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By gogosox82

How is this thread actually a thing?

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By MC_Hify

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#165  Edited By csl316
I work in Chicago and can confirm that it's a cool city.  I hope that clears up any misconceptions. 

I think that's what this thread is about?

@runcrash said:

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

Oh wait, no.  Things just got far more interesting.
bagrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By bagrm

At first I assumed this was a horrible attempt at trolling, but then I saw you had 5000 posts and was floored.

I grew up in Palatine, Illinois until I was 18 and then left Chicago to go to Los Angeles for college, and live in SF now. It may amaze you, but most people outside of the midwest (especially on the west coast) have no idea what Chicago is about. For you to complain about someone repping their hometown on a podcast that has mostly listeners that know nothing about that town is fucking insane. This is the worst kind of trolling.

If you want to criticize Patrick legitimately that's fine, but this shit has gotten way out of hand.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#167  Edited By spankingaddict

This shouldn't be a thread . Write this to patrick himself instead , fella .

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By BoatDrinks

As someone from Wisconsin, I can say fuck Chicago and its $7 for light beers at the bar. Also, you guys are real asshole drivers.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Mirado

The only thing I want to know is if Patrick's a representation of the typical Chicago scotch drinker. If that's the case, I need to set up a mission in that town to save you all.

That image of him unironically drinking Dewar's straight still gives me shivers. Just switch over to vodka as then, at least, the aftertaste would be intentional.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By penguindust

I went to Chicago once. I ate deep-dish pizza and Chicago hot dogs.

They were okay, but not as good as New York-style pizza and Coney Island frankfurters. NYC Represent!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#172  Edited By Raven10

Deep dish pizza is great and Portillo's (sp?) makes amazing hotdogs so I say Chicago has both those things in spades. So I don't see the problem?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By EXTomar

I dunno, Patrick is a hellva lot like the Chicago stereotype.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#174  Edited By GreggD

As an Upstate New Yorker, I'd just like to say fuck the City.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By mylifeforAiur
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By SSully

@Vinchenzo said:

I myself am from Chicago, and I just want to tell you to stop trying to represent Chicago. Those deep-dish, Chicago hot dog, Cubs and Bears loving purists are the worst. And no I'm not saying deep-dish or Chicago hot dogs are bad, I love them as well, but don't have dumb arguments defending deep-dish just because you're from Chicago.

If I moved out of Chicago my most missed things would be the weather, Portillo's, and Giordano's, so I can sympathize with Patricks commentary on the matter. Also I have had deep dish at different places around the country, and the only one that was actually decent was at an Uno's which doesn't count since it originated in Chicago, so I can imagine that decent deep dish is hard to come by in San Francisco.

Stop hating on someone for expressing their love for something, because it just makes you look like a miserable asshole.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#177  Edited By TimeFugitive

@bagrm: I grew up in Palatine too! Small website!

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By PixelPrinny

Well this post was absolutely necessary and could not have been sent as a suggestion via PM or Twitter or whatever.

Ohhhhh, I get it. You knew there'd be no chance of having any attention paid to it via those options, so you figured, "At least other users will see my inane complaint." Am I right or am I right?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm from Vancouver, Canada and I just want to say that you're all really swell people and if any of you need me to help you move, just let me know.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By donchipotle

Guys, let's all just chill out and hit up the Superdawg.

Yeah they aren't that good but it's the fucking Superdawg, dawg.

Also I want all of your pickles.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#181  Edited By MrSlapHappy

As someone who finds the internet to be full of idiocy I congratulate you in continuing that trend

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@DarthOrange said:

As a Californian, please stop seeing the GB crew as being representations of the average Californian. People from Northern California are the worst.

That's what we say about people from Southern California. That, and they take all of our water.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I'm from Chicago and I like ketchup on a hot dog. Shoot me.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By MiniPato

As a Chicagoan, I would just like to say I don't give a shit about what makes someone a "true chicagoan" and what doesn't.

@DeathByWaffle said:

I'm from Chicago and I like ketchup on a hot dog. Shoot me.

Me too! Shit, I don't have all those fancy shmancy ingredients to put on my microwave-ready hot dogs!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By GreggD

@MiniPato said:

As a Chicagoan, I would just like to say I don't give a shit about what makes someone a "true chicagoan" and what doesn't.

Is that really how you say? I'd think it would be Chicagonian.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By MiniPato

@GreggD said:

@MiniPato said:

Is that really how you say? I'd think it would be Chicagonian.

I have honestly never heard anyone in real life refer to themselves as a Chicagoan. I've always imagined that was a term only used by travel show hosts and "Check Please" critics.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#187  Edited By Vinchenzo

@PixelPrinny said:

Well this post was absolutely necessary and could not have been sent as a suggestion via PM or Twitter or whatever.

Ohhhhh, I get it. You knew there'd be no chance of having any attention paid to it via those options, so you figured, "At least other users will see my inane complaint." Am I right or am I right?

Oh no, you figured me out.

Gosh darnit.

Disconnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Disconnect
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By mordukai

@Vinchenzo: Could you also ask Patrick to stop doing the Chicago thing where he just talk over people and if he sees no one is listening then the only solution is to keep talking louder, It's fucking annoying. I just wish someone would just tell him to shut up and let other people talk.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#190  Edited By Miketakon

If Bradley was a true Southerner everything would be covered in Biscuits n Gravy.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Digiwth

i am kanadin

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Digiwth

canadian* and i am offended

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By YoThatLimp

Fuck you and your Hot Dougs, I rep Fat Johnnies. Come to the southside for real pizza and real hot dogs, and murder.

I mean, mostly murder, but we do offer great food places as well.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By AiurFlux

It's kind of hard to defend a city that had 506 homicides in 2012, but he tries.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By ripelivejam

As a wubba dubba dubba@mordukai said:

@Vinchenzo: Could you also ask Patrick to stop doing the Chicago thing where he just talk over people and if he sees no one is listening then the only solution is to keep talking louder, It's fucking annoying. I just wish someone would just tell him to shut up and let other people talk.

like when vinny does it? or ryan? or jeff? the only one close to a true saint according to your strict rigamarole is brad.

and i say that as a native Venusian.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ripelivejam

i am finding a lot of this thread pretty amusing though

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By jkz

I LIKE VARIOUS FOODSTUFFS BUT MOSTLY VIDEOGAMES

Also this thread is pointless. He likes what he likes, who gives a shit?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@ripelivejam

As a wubba dubba dubba@mordukai said:

like when vinny does it? or ryan? or jeff? the only one close to a true saint according to your strict rigamarole is brad.

and i say that as a native Venusian.

It's only bad when Patrick does it, though. Because anything to justify irrational hatred of a guy on the Internet, right? Yeeeeeaaaah!
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#199  Edited By Hunter5024

As an Arizonan, I'm feeling somewhat left out of this conversation. Allow me to derail for a second, giant holes in the ground are pretty neat right guys? Also Tacos!

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By SuperTess

I grew up in Maine and it isn't a hot dog unless it is red, so you can all just get out of here with your "hot dogs" covered in weird things. (as far as ketchup, I just don't like it on things other than fries)