This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@RenMcKormack said:

Well I'm from Boston, so I am going to just eat some of this chowdah ( I AM ACTUALLY FROM MELROSE AND NOW LIVE IN CAMBRIDGE). I actually think its more weird that Jeff/Ryan associate Massachusetts with steak tips. Are steak tips regional to MA. How could I not know this.

Jeff Gerstmann ‏jeffgerstmann

Just remembered that the impending trip to PAX East means STEAK TIPS.

Apparently they're regional to the Northeast. I had no idea either until I moved to the Southwest. I guess they're just sirloin strips everywhere else?

#152 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@Ravenlight: What a horrible fate for the rest of this great nation. I thought steak tips were just available. for everyone.

#153 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

As a Torontonian, I find cities with distinct (if mostly stupid) regional identities kind of charming. There’s no “Toronto dish,” most people I know don’t give a shit about the Leafs (though, as the most profitable team, someone must?), and the most robust defence of the city you’ll get from residents is “it’s not as bad as you think” or a retread of the “it’s the most multicultural city in the world” argument.

Toronto does have some fantastic ethnic food, but it’s basically just because it’s an immigrant city, and a lot of the best stuff is up in the suburbs because that’s where the immigrants with money go.

Oh man I can't disagree with you more on the suburbs thing, I find the ethnic food there to be such garbage compared to downtown's offerings. Sure the immigrants with money go north but the ones who can cook stay downtown.

I don't think we shine on any particular thing, but we're probably the best place in North America to get basically any given dish you want. No matter how weird it is. Unless it's a really specific regional dish, there's always gonna be a restaurant in Toronto that does it as well as it can be made. It actually makes travel pretty disappointing, a lot of nicer restaurants I've visited in Europe don't end up being that much better than what Toronto has, sometimes it's worse even. Certainly not enough of a difference to be worth travelling just for the food unless you go to some seriously nice places.

Because of that, I found my Chicago experience to be disappointing, the food was great but it didn't tread any new ground for me. Same with the shopping, the Eaton centre has everything the mag mile has contained in a smaller area. Still Chicago beats the shit out of Toronto when it comes to architecture. Toronto is one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen and Chicago one of the prettiest.

#154 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@RenMcKormack:

They kind of are if you know what to look for at the store but the rest of the country just doesn't seem to think they're that special. UTTER MADNESS.

#155 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3971 posts) -

Take that Patrick!

#156 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

@DetectiveSpecial said:

@Vinchenzo said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Patrick isn't even from Chicago, he's from Arlington Heights. Speakling as a Chicago suburbanite myself (Lisle Illinois, motherfuckers!), I know it might seem a lot simpler to tell people you're from Chicago, but it's a bald-faced lie. Most of the people who say they're from Chicago aren't, really. The Chicagoland area is like 80% suburbs.

I think it's easier and also the topics he brings up as "being from Chicago" aren't strictly restricted to Chicago. I actually live near Arlington Heights and of course nobody will know the name of a suburb in Illinois so you just say Chicago. I'm glad I don't live in Chicago to be fair.

I get the feeling Chicago is equally glad that you don't live here. Does anyone else who is complaining actually live in Chicago? Like, can meet me at Hot Doug's in fifteen minutes? Has permit parking? Can look out their window and see assorted lawn chairs claiming parking spaces? Chicago is not Los Angeles. If you don't pay the city property tax rate or don't know who your alderman is, you don't live in Chicago.

I dunno, I think those of us in the burbs share in the culture despite not living in the city limits. I comute to a downtown office on the Metra a few days a week so the city is part of my life in a lot of ways. Sure its not exactly the same as living there, but I still think of myself as part Chicago at least. :)

#157 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1162 posts) -

@DetectiveSpecial said:

Does anyone else who is complaining actually live in Chicago? Like, can meet me at Hot Doug's in fifteen minutes?

I like how your definition of Chicago completely disregards like 90% of the city. But then, that's Lake View for you. "South Side? Is that the new salon on Belmont?"

#158 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto: There were other descriptors after the Hot Doug's reference, you know. Also, not Lakeview.

#159 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Would you rather they just not say anything that revealed anything about their personality ever again? I can promise you that would make for a much more boring site, but hey as long as a few users are happy, right?

#160 Posted by OneFreeman (102 posts) -

@Vinchenzo: This is the probably the most pointless thread in history.

#161 Posted by coribald (313 posts) -

And yeah, Vinny, stop representing Long Island! I'm from Long Island too and you are just the worst kind of Long Islander!

(But actually, you never talk about it, and you should, because maybe I'll be able to relate to something you say, and that'd make me happy.)

This thread is really stupid. Bullshit manufactured reason to dislike Patrick #34213. He's a cool guy. Get over it.

#162 Posted by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

I represent Seattle.

Chicago can go fuck itself.

#163 Posted by gogosox82 (428 posts) -

How is this thread actually a thing?

#164 Posted by MC_Hify (347 posts) -

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

#165 Edited by csl316 (9249 posts) -
I work in Chicago and can confirm that it's a cool city.  I hope that clears up any misconceptions. 

I think that's what this thread is about?

@runcrash said:

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

Oh wait, no.  Things just got far more interesting.
#166 Posted by bagrm (52 posts) -

At first I assumed this was a horrible attempt at trolling, but then I saw you had 5000 posts and was floored.

I grew up in Palatine, Illinois until I was 18 and then left Chicago to go to Los Angeles for college, and live in SF now. It may amaze you, but most people outside of the midwest (especially on the west coast) have no idea what Chicago is about. For you to complain about someone repping their hometown on a podcast that has mostly listeners that know nothing about that town is fucking insane. This is the worst kind of trolling.

If you want to criticize Patrick legitimately that's fine, but this shit has gotten way out of hand.

#167 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

This shouldn't be a thread . Write this to patrick himself instead , fella .

#168 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

As a Torontonian, I find cities with distinct (if mostly stupid) regional identities kind of charming. There’s no “Toronto dish,” most people I know don’t give a shit about the Leafs (though, as the most profitable team, someone must?), and the most robust defence of the city you’ll get from residents is “it’s not as bad as you think” or a retread of the “it’s the most multicultural city in the world” argument.

Toronto does have some fantastic ethnic food, but it’s basically just because it’s an immigrant city, and a lot of the best stuff is up in the suburbs because that’s where the immigrants with money go.

Oh man I can't disagree with you more on the suburbs thing, I find the ethnic food there to be such garbage compared to downtown's offerings. Sure the immigrants with money go north but the ones who can cook stay downtown.

I don't think we shine on any particular thing, but we're probably the best place in North America to get basically any given dish you want. No matter how weird it is. Unless it's a really specific regional dish, there's always gonna be a restaurant in Toronto that does it as well as it can be made. It actually makes travel pretty disappointing, a lot of nicer restaurants I've visited in Europe don't end up being that much better than what Toronto has, sometimes it's worse even. Certainly not enough of a difference to be worth travelling just for the food unless you go to some seriously nice places.

Because of that, I found my Chicago experience to be disappointing, the food was great but it didn't tread any new ground for me. Same with the shopping, the Eaton centre has everything the mag mile has contained in a smaller area. Still Chicago beats the shit out of Toronto when it comes to architecture. Toronto is one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen and Chicago one of the prettiest.

I should say that I only really know Chinese (and to some extent Japanese and Korean) food enough to comment on quality, and even then, not to any particularly insightful extent. I grew up in Markham and live in Chinatown now, and while there’s some really good stuff in Chinatown, some of the best (and cheaper!) stuff I’ve had has been in Markham, Scarborough, and North York. Talk with Chinese (mostly Hong Kong, for what it’s worth) friends has corroborated this. I have to assume that, say, the best Persian or Eastern European stuff is probably not downtown either (Roncesvalles notwithstanding).

Yes, Toronto architecture is, charitably, mostly bland. It’s at the point where I’d gladly take the 70s concrete stuff (new City Hall, the Sheraton Centre, the Bay, the Queen’s Park office blocks) over the ugly paint-by-numbers glass towers popping up everywhere. It’s pretty funny seeing people compare Toronto to Chicago without addressing that Chicago is like an order of magnitude better looking.

#169 Posted by itspizza (443 posts) -

As someone from Wisconsin, I can say fuck Chicago and its $7 for light beers at the bar. Also, you guys are real asshole drivers.

#170 Posted by Mirado (1050 posts) -

The only thing I want to know is if Patrick's a representation of the typical Chicago scotch drinker. If that's the case, I need to set up a mission in that town to save you all.

That image of him unironically drinking Dewar's straight still gives me shivers. Just switch over to vodka as then, at least, the aftertaste would be intentional.

#171 Edited by PenguinDust (12601 posts) -

I went to Chicago once. I ate deep-dish pizza and Chicago hot dogs.

They were okay, but not as good as New York-style pizza and Coney Island frankfurters. NYC Represent!

#172 Posted by Raven10 (1887 posts) -

Deep dish pizza is great and Portillo's (sp?) makes amazing hotdogs so I say Chicago has both those things in spades. So I don't see the problem?

#173 Posted by EXTomar (4921 posts) -

I dunno, Patrick is a hellva lot like the Chicago stereotype.

#174 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

As an Upstate New Yorker, I'd just like to say fuck the City.

#175 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -
#176 Posted by SSully (4276 posts) -

@Vinchenzo said:

I myself am from Chicago, and I just want to tell you to stop trying to represent Chicago. Those deep-dish, Chicago hot dog, Cubs and Bears loving purists are the worst. And no I'm not saying deep-dish or Chicago hot dogs are bad, I love them as well, but don't have dumb arguments defending deep-dish just because you're from Chicago.

If I moved out of Chicago my most missed things would be the weather, Portillo's, and Giordano's, so I can sympathize with Patricks commentary on the matter. Also I have had deep dish at different places around the country, and the only one that was actually decent was at an Uno's which doesn't count since it originated in Chicago, so I can imagine that decent deep dish is hard to come by in San Francisco.

Stop hating on someone for expressing their love for something, because it just makes you look like a miserable asshole.

#177 Posted by TimeFugitive (65 posts) -

@bagrm: I grew up in Palatine too! Small website!

#178 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Well this post was absolutely necessary and could not have been sent as a suggestion via PM or Twitter or whatever.

Ohhhhh, I get it. You knew there'd be no chance of having any attention paid to it via those options, so you figured, "At least other users will see my inane complaint." Am I right or am I right?

#179 Posted by Lukeweizer (2748 posts) -

I'm from Vancouver, Canada and I just want to say that you're all really swell people and if any of you need me to help you move, just let me know.

#180 Posted by DonChipotle (2809 posts) -

Guys, let's all just chill out and hit up the Superdawg.

Yeah they aren't that good but it's the fucking Superdawg, dawg.

Also I want all of your pickles.

#181 Posted by MrSlapHappy (187 posts) -

As someone who finds the internet to be full of idiocy I congratulate you in continuing that trend

#182 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

As a Californian, please stop seeing the GB crew as being representations of the average Californian. People from Northern California are the worst.

That's what we say about people from Southern California. That, and they take all of our water.

#183 Posted by DeathByWaffle (646 posts) -

I'm from Chicago and I like ketchup on a hot dog. Shoot me.

#184 Edited by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

As a Chicagoan, I would just like to say I don't give a shit about what makes someone a "true chicagoan" and what doesn't.

@DeathByWaffle said:

I'm from Chicago and I like ketchup on a hot dog. Shoot me.

Me too! Shit, I don't have all those fancy shmancy ingredients to put on my microwave-ready hot dogs!

#185 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

As a Chicagoan, I would just like to say I don't give a shit about what makes someone a "true chicagoan" and what doesn't.

Is that really how you say? I'd think it would be Chicagonian.

#186 Edited by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

@GreggD said:

@MiniPato said:

Is that really how you say? I'd think it would be Chicagonian.

I have honestly never heard anyone in real life refer to themselves as a Chicagoan. I've always imagined that was a term only used by travel show hosts and "Check Please" critics.

#187 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

Well this post was absolutely necessary and could not have been sent as a suggestion via PM or Twitter or whatever.

Ohhhhh, I get it. You knew there'd be no chance of having any attention paid to it via those options, so you figured, "At least other users will see my inane complaint." Am I right or am I right?

Oh no, you figured me out.

Gosh darnit.

#188 Posted by Disconnect (68 posts) -
#189 Edited by mordukai (7180 posts) -

@Vinchenzo: Could you also ask Patrick to stop doing the Chicago thing where he just talk over people and if he sees no one is listening then the only solution is to keep talking louder, It's fucking annoying. I just wish someone would just tell him to shut up and let other people talk.

#190 Edited by Miketakon (514 posts) -

If Bradley was a true Southerner everything would be covered in Biscuits n Gravy.

#191 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

i am kanadin

#192 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

canadian* and i am offended

#193 Posted by YoThatLimp (1932 posts) -

Fuck you and your Hot Dougs, I rep Fat Johnnies. Come to the southside for real pizza and real hot dogs, and murder.

I mean, mostly murder, but we do offer great food places as well.

#194 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

It's kind of hard to defend a city that had 506 homicides in 2012, but he tries.

#195 Posted by ripelivejam (4604 posts) -

As a wubba dubba dubba@mordukai said:

@Vinchenzo: Could you also ask Patrick to stop doing the Chicago thing where he just talk over people and if he sees no one is listening then the only solution is to keep talking louder, It's fucking annoying. I just wish someone would just tell him to shut up and let other people talk.

like when vinny does it? or ryan? or jeff? the only one close to a true saint according to your strict rigamarole is brad.

and i say that as a native Venusian.

#196 Posted by ripelivejam (4604 posts) -

i am finding a lot of this thread pretty amusing though

#197 Posted by jkz (4050 posts) -

I LIKE VARIOUS FOODSTUFFS BUT MOSTLY VIDEOGAMES

Also this thread is pointless. He likes what he likes, who gives a shit?

#198 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@ripelivejam

As a wubba dubba dubba@mordukai said:

like when vinny does it? or ryan? or jeff? the only one close to a true saint according to your strict rigamarole is brad.

and i say that as a native Venusian.

It's only bad when Patrick does it, though. Because anything to justify irrational hatred of a guy on the Internet, right? Yeeeeeaaaah!
#199 Posted by Hunter5024 (5902 posts) -

As an Arizonan, I'm feeling somewhat left out of this conversation. Allow me to derail for a second, giant holes in the ground are pretty neat right guys? Also Tacos!

#200 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

I grew up in Maine and it isn't a hot dog unless it is red, so you can all just get out of here with your "hot dogs" covered in weird things. (as far as ketchup, I just don't like it on things other than fries)