• 84 results
Posted by Hamst3r (4862 posts) 2 years, 11 days ago

Poll: A Poll About Potential Community Collaborations Musical Or Otherwise (607 votes)

Community Song - Original Recipe 29%
Community Song - Musician Edition 13%
Community Video - AMV Hell / Robot Chicken 14%
Community Quilt - Fuck You This Is Art 10%
Other - I Have A Better Idea 1%
None - Once Was Enough 2%
All of Them - 4 threads, go! 18%
No Vote - See The Results 12%

Hey,

So, I've had the Giant Bomb Community Song on my mind for a while. About a year ago I began preparing for a sequel, putting together some music and video ideas, as well as trying to convince a programmer I know to make a sophisticated recording and uploading web interface thing.

The interface thing never happened and then I got sidetracked by life; moving to a new state and between 3 different houses and all.

Well, the desire to do a mass collaboration is on my mind again, so I'm going to pitch a few ideas here. Let me know what you think of them, or if you have a better idea.

1. Community Song - Original Recipe

Just like the original. You guys provide your voices and I write the music, then put it all in a video.

2. Community Song - Musician Edition

It starts with me (or someone else) providing a few musical elements which can be load into a music program. You then rap, sing, shred and produce noise in any manner you can over the sounds, then share what you've made so other users can do the same. At the end of it all, I'll gather all the elements together, mix them as best I can, and put it all in a video.

3. Community Video - AMV Hell / Robot Chicken

Have you ever seen an AMV Hell or a Robot Chicken episode? The basic idea is to create a video showcasing a series of short non-sequitur scenes. Take a Giant Bomb or Bombcast reference (e.g., Shit Steak, Knife vs. Bat, Chris With The White Car) and do it up any way you can. Animate it, film it, turn it into poetry and pictures. Collaborate with others to add music, sound effects, voices and whatever else you need to complete your short. As far as duration is concerned, shorts should be between 5 and 30 seconds. After which, the shorts will be assembled into one video with transitions.

4. Community Quilt - Fuck You This Is Art

An image quilt. Look at the table below:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Imagine that with pictures. Pictures that all blend together at the seams. The grid could also be larger, perhaps 10x10. It starts with someone picking an empty square and drawing an image in it. Then another user fills an adjacent square with whatever they want, as long as it blends into the first image. This process repeats until all of the empty blocks are filled. When it's done, we've got a kick-ass wallpaper and poster designed by members of the community.

Discuss

Those are my ideas.

What do you think?

Do you have any better ideas?

(Assess the inclusiveness of your ideas, as the goal is to get as many users involved as possible, skilled or not.)

Also, I don't necessarily have to lead any these projects. If you want to start a quilt thread right now, go ahead! Consider me to have merely planted the seed.

#1 Posted by Bollard (6335 posts) -

Yay Hamst3r! It's a shame this isn't a multi-vote poll, as I like the sound of 1, 2 and 4 >.> I don't quite know what you mean by 3 (as I haven't seen those things you mentioned), so that's why the others appeal more.

The community song is a glorious piece of work by yourself and all the others involved, but would it lose its shine if it was just done again? For four, I'm no artist, but I'm pretty sure there's some talented duders around the site who could make something awesome. Just make sure there would be enough squares for everyone who wanted in, and it produced something large enough for a 1080p wallpaper.

I think my vote goes for the Musician Edition in the end then, cause anyone can contribute some sort of sample for that, right?

#2 Posted by Hamst3r (4862 posts) -

@chavtheworld: Yup! Idea 1 is a call for voices only, I handle the music. Idea 2 gets more people involved in the creation of the music, witch is especially good for anyone who knows how to play an instrument. Idea 2 is a much more open idea, which could have more than one song being worked on at a time, with someone different overseeing each one - just a general music collaboration thread.

#3 Edited by TooWalrus (13325 posts) -

The first community song was a masterpiece- I'd love to hear another one, but I'm not sure it could be duplicated...

#4 Edited by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

I have a better idea. Let's crowdsource a baby and have the community raise him/her.

#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14599 posts) -

I really like community video idea. I have an idea of something funny I might be able to contribute to it, if I can find a dumb piece of software I used like 15 years ago as a kid.

BUT I'd be worried about the number of submissions you would get with something like that. If enough people came together it would be awesome, but it might end up being considerably smaller in scope than anticipated. There could also be some pretty terrible submissions.

#6 Posted by DrFlapjack (267 posts) -

I'm all for a robot chicken-esque short not only because I think it would be awesome, but because it's the only one I could contribute to (I'm an animator of the 3d variety).

#7 Edited by isomeri (1733 posts) -

I'm down to contribute to the song. Be it the original recipe or "musician edition".

#8 Edited by Toug (367 posts) -

I'd be totally in for the AMV Hell type thing.

#9 Posted by TurboMan (8175 posts) -

The video idea sounds great on paper, but would turn into a train wreck fast (i think).

That being said, I would love a followup to the Original Community song.

#10 Posted by bassman2112 (988 posts) -

I'm down to contribute as well. I've got a good handle on DAWs and synthesis, if you need any fun electronic parts; but also have the facilities available to do some good quality recordings (vocal, guitar, foley, etc) if you need!

#11 Posted by emem (2047 posts) -

\o/

I would like to see/hear all of it, but if it comes down to just one... another song would be my pick as well.

#12 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (732 posts) -

Yeah another song I'mma spit a hot verse.

#13 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4834 posts) -

Considering I have no musical talent I would say that the original would be just fine.

@turboman said:

The video idea sounds great on paper, but would turn into a train wreck fast (i think).

That being said, I would love a followup to the Original Community song.

and this.

#14 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Center square is fucked in #4.

#15 Posted by GunstarRed (5796 posts) -

Agh! I voted quilt, but I wish I'd have clicked all of them now.

#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4862 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Center square is fucked in #4.

Unless center square starts! :D

#17 Edited by Daveyo520 (7331 posts) -

Do everything ever.

#18 Posted by Village_Guy (2761 posts) -

You know me, if we make a quilt I will throw ponies at if I get the chance :)

But I look forward to what happens with this.

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

I'm old school and I think we should do the video thing because it's reminiscent of Question of the Week.

#20 Posted by deathstriker666 (1349 posts) -

Whatever it is, I know it'll be great with Hamst3r at the helm.

#21 Posted by B0nd07 (1744 posts) -

I think Original Recipe has the best chance for success, but with our very artistic community Fuck You This Is Art could also work quite well.

#22 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Do it like the original, but only if I'm in this one.

#23 Edited by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

I would like to be a part of an Original Recipe song, but I presume it will be invite-based. The reason? Hamst3r is a really good songwriter and I'd rather hear that than the jumbled mess that will come from a massive collaboration.

That said, Video/Quilt would both be neat too, even if I couldn't really contribute to either.

#24 Edited by RPGee (775 posts) -

Since I could only pick one, I'll go with the Community Quilt, since that is perhaps the most novel thing I've heard of in a while. Maybe I was attracted by the statement "Fuck You This Is Art", but regardless, that's a neat damn idea.

If I had a second, a second Original style song would be pretty cool.

#25 Posted by joey (1028 posts) -

#TeamQuiltz

#26 Posted by Subjugation (4782 posts) -

I like ideas #1 and #3. A good AMV Hell is pretty great, and the original Giant Bomb Community Song is also pretty great.

#27 Posted by Aegon (6627 posts) -

I feel like the quilt is likely to suck.

#28 Edited by Evilsbane (5019 posts) -

I have no artistic talent or tools to offer but Hamst3r is the man and I say that #3 and #4 are the ones to go for if I had to pick one #3.

Check out Hamsteralliance Youtube channel he has some of the best LPs and self made music on youtube!

#29 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1589 posts) -

Gotta pimp my bro Hamst3r.

Everyone wants in on those hot jamz, sir.

I'd better come up with newer shittier, lyrics. That didn't even rhyme.

I just thought of more dumb lyrics, better start writing them down in case I need to record these stupid words.

#30 Posted by Fattony12000 (7929 posts) -

#31 Edited by TruthTellah (9632 posts) -

Can we do all of them?

YES WE CAN.

#32 Edited by TruthTellah (9632 posts) -

While we're doing everything, have you considered producing a Musical?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a7d567d3b9455e1430aeb9eafd55b5ec/tumblr_mfjys2fdrL1qejutxo1_250.gif

#33 Edited by DarthOrange (4094 posts) -

The quilt seems the easiest for everyone to contribute to.

Also another song would be great. Can we do both?

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (9013 posts) -

As a musician, I am of course biased.

#35 Edited by Osaladin (2611 posts) -

New song!

#36 Edited by NinjaBerd (230 posts) -

I have a better idea. Let's crowdsource a baby and have the community raise him/her.

Fuck Yes!

#37 Edited by Sgtpierceface (718 posts) -

It's great to see you doing this again. P.S. Your youtube videos are great!

#38 Posted by Hamst3r (4862 posts) -

Original recipe and ALL THE THINGS seem to be winning. Perhaps all is the way to go. :3

#39 Posted by BisonHero (8329 posts) -

Does any page on Giant Bomb officially link to/endorse the community song anymore? I remember it was on the front page before the new site (or maybe it was some blog post of Bodega's that embedded it or something).

#40 Posted by mrfluke (5657 posts) -

@marino could be a good one for the front page good sir

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4011 posts) -

I like 1 or 3 meself

#42 Edited by ShaggE (7098 posts) -

I have to go with the first or second, since I enjoy your mixes so much.

#43 Edited by dudeglove (9178 posts) -

The quilt actually sounds kind of neat. What, exactly, though? Something in MS Paint or whathaveyou? Or can we go wild with photoshop or some balls.

#44 Edited by Marino (5276 posts) -

@hamst3r: I put a promo on the front page for this. Can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

Staff
#45 Edited by Yummylee (23201 posts) -

I just realised after rewatching the original community song that so many of the users who submitted their voices barely post anymore or have jumped ship entirely.

Also, I have reaffirmed my believe that the community song video is a piece of timeless art <3

Also also, I voted 1, but 2 and 3 could be really cool too!

#46 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1462 posts) -

I would like a combo of sorts of one and two. Even though I do have a mic I couldn't put any musical input into this.

#47 Edited by Hamst3r (4862 posts) -

@marino:

Thanks! :D

@dudeglove: You can go wild with whatever software you want to use - as long as the thing you draw blends into the things drawn on the squares around it

For instance, if someone draws a street, you don't necessarily have to draw a street too, but you should utilize the line made by the street as part of your design.

Example:

badrawr2600 made this street scene:

That might be Jeff, who knows.

And roscoeschickenandcrocodilles wanted to draw a tribute to the glory of Kim Jung-Un by depicting him drinking a bonus soda alongside Saturn:

To make it all work, he used some of the lines from badrawr2600's image and now just has to blend some of the colors to make it legit:

Boom. The images have become one. It's like it was made to be. If I wasn't lazy, I'd fade out some of those black lines nearing the border too.

There are a few things that can be done to make this all work better:

1. Someone makes a simple line drawing across the entire grid, perhaps of something like Police Sketch Jeff. That way, every square has a line in it that transitions nicely into another square. What you end up with is something that looks more like a photo mosaic - if you squint just right - you'll see Police Sketch Jeff amongst the chaos!

2. Don't draw lines that touch the border - the borders are for colors only. This works, but I kind of like when the lines go between squares, so I'd prefer method 1 if anything.

So yeah, that's how an image quilt works.

#48 Edited by mrfluke (5657 posts) -

@hamst3r: hey off topic question,

but is ezmuze still coming to ios?

#49 Edited by Hamst3r (4862 posts) -

@mrfluke: Well - I would definitely like for it to be on iOS, but I'm not the programmer, so I don't have the final say in what platforms it ends up on. He's a bit hell-bent on loving Windows Phones right now.

#50 Edited by aurahack (2484 posts) -

I couldn't get enough of the original one and I would be 100% down for another track like the first one.