A possible 'goodbye', just in case I die on the operating table.

• 136 results
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By toowalrus

Let me start by saying that I'm 20, and still wearing braces on my teeth. I've had them since I was 18, and over that time, they've managed to straighten my teeth out. However, I've got an overbite from hell. You see, your upper teeth are slightly in front of your lower teeth when your jaw in closed, though in my case, my upper teeth land directly on top of my lower teeth. The result is a massive gap, with my jaw completely closed, I can fit a credit card through the teeth. You can probably imagine how much this sucks. When eating sandwiches, I'm unable to bite through lettuce, cheese, etc. I know, a nightmare, right? 

So about a year ago, my orthodontist gave me a choice. I could have 4 teeth pulled, then over the course of several months, I could have my upper jaw pulled forward with a series of inconvenient and uncomfortable rubber bands, which would kind of fix the problem. This was a compromise, and wasn't guaranteed to work. I, personally, pride myself in taking great care of my teeth, I've never had a cavity, my teeth are a healthy pink and my teeth are white. I was already bummed that I had to have my Wisdom teeth pulled (because they came in perfectly, and never hurt) so the idea of having 4 more molars pulled was out of the question to me. Which left me with the other option- surgery. 

Let me explain this, they're going to cut open the roof of my mouth, and enter my sinuses. Once there, they're going to cut through my upper jaw, and disconnect it from my skull. Then, they'll move it into a more appropriate position, and fasten it there with a series of plates and screws. Then, they're going to let the bone gap fill in naturally over the course of a few weeks, in which I'm not allowed to eat any solid food at all. 

However, this is all completely fine with me, I'm not worried about the procedure at all. It's the anesthesia that worries me. I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year, fully awake. They put the nitrous mask on me, to which I felt no effect at all. Then they attempted to inject me with a conscious sedation. After a minute, they realized that it wasn't having any effect. See, I have terrible veins, they couldn't find one no matter how hard they tried. They injected me with enough drugs to knock me out five times over, to no effect, apparently my body is too stubborn to be knocked out with anything but hard drugs. The end result was the surgeon numbing me up, and letting me stay awake while he put his foot on the table in order to get the leverage he needed to yank my teeth out (which is an extremely weird feeling, by the way.) 

TL;DR I'm not actually afraid of dying, but I am nervous about tomorrow. I've got to show up at 5:30 AM tomorrow, and undergo some crazy surgery, where they purposefully break my jaw off. I'm just letting you dudes know what's up, and asking you to wish me luck, and pray to your gods/sciences.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By toowalrus

Let me start by saying that I'm 20, and still wearing braces on my teeth. I've had them since I was 18, and over that time, they've managed to straighten my teeth out. However, I've got an overbite from hell. You see, your upper teeth are slightly in front of your lower teeth when your jaw in closed, though in my case, my upper teeth land directly on top of my lower teeth. The result is a massive gap, with my jaw completely closed, I can fit a credit card through the teeth. You can probably imagine how much this sucks. When eating sandwiches, I'm unable to bite through lettuce, cheese, etc. I know, a nightmare, right? 

So about a year ago, my orthodontist gave me a choice. I could have 4 teeth pulled, then over the course of several months, I could have my upper jaw pulled forward with a series of inconvenient and uncomfortable rubber bands, which would kind of fix the problem. This was a compromise, and wasn't guaranteed to work. I, personally, pride myself in taking great care of my teeth, I've never had a cavity, my teeth are a healthy pink and my teeth are white. I was already bummed that I had to have my Wisdom teeth pulled (because they came in perfectly, and never hurt) so the idea of having 4 more molars pulled was out of the question to me. Which left me with the other option- surgery. 

Let me explain this, they're going to cut open the roof of my mouth, and enter my sinuses. Once there, they're going to cut through my upper jaw, and disconnect it from my skull. Then, they'll move it into a more appropriate position, and fasten it there with a series of plates and screws. Then, they're going to let the bone gap fill in naturally over the course of a few weeks, in which I'm not allowed to eat any solid food at all. 

However, this is all completely fine with me, I'm not worried about the procedure at all. It's the anesthesia that worries me. I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year, fully awake. They put the nitrous mask on me, to which I felt no effect at all. Then they attempted to inject me with a conscious sedation. After a minute, they realized that it wasn't having any effect. See, I have terrible veins, they couldn't find one no matter how hard they tried. They injected me with enough drugs to knock me out five times over, to no effect, apparently my body is too stubborn to be knocked out with anything but hard drugs. The end result was the surgeon numbing me up, and letting me stay awake while he put his foot on the table in order to get the leverage he needed to yank my teeth out (which is an extremely weird feeling, by the way.) 

TL;DR I'm not actually afraid of dying, but I am nervous about tomorrow. I've got to show up at 5:30 AM tomorrow, and undergo some crazy surgery, where they purposefully break my jaw off. I'm just letting you dudes know what's up, and asking you to wish me luck, and pray to your gods/sciences.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I'll be sure to pray to Charles Darwin for you! Good luck!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Good luck! Have Batman

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@TooWalrus: Good luck, nothing to be worried about... 

Also i am very confused wether i should think its awesome or not that we have a forum called "Death"
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Good luck. I shall pray to Tesla for you. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Akrid

Holy shit!

You will be missed.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@Jethuty said:
" @TooWalrus: Good luck, nothing to be worried about...   Also i am very confused wether i should think its awesome or not that we have a forum called "Death" "
It's for the Death wiki page
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

O_O
good luck and god speed, soldier.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9  Edited By JasonR86

@TooWalrus

Good luck man.  I can only imagine what it would be like to have surgery like that.  I'm sure you'll be fine though.  Just think about how nice it will be once it is all over with.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By ptys

Good luck man, look forward to seeing the new smile ; )

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Best of luck to you man.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Skald

They're professionals. Nothing unexpectedly bad is going to happen to you. 

Probably.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Slaker117
@Akrid said:
" Holy shit! You will be missed. "
That's a little presumptuous, don't you think.
MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MrGetBonus

I wish my teeth were pink.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By FrankCanada97

The roof of your mouth is called a palate. In any case, good luck!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By htr10

understandable to be nervous.  best to have this done while you're young and a million miles away from any heart or health conditions that could complicate this kind of procedure.  some day you might find that your resistance to anesthetic may mean that you'll also have trouble getting high on recreational drugs, but hey, that's probably a good thing to never find out.  other than that, good luck with your surgery.  sucks, but you'll be happy you had this squared away while you're still young enough to get in a good 60 or 70 years of cheese-biting.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Sambambo

Your teeth are a healthy pink? I'd get that looked at...

I recently had an operation and was worried about the sedation, but for different reasons to you. Sounds kinda crazy that you can't be knocked out with a general anaesthetic... And having your wisdom teeth pulled awake sounds crappy, my mums a dentist and explained how they do it, by kinda cracking the jaw open and just removing it, so it can't have been pleasent for you!

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By weltal
@TooWalrus said:
"  Let me explain this, they're going to cut open the roof of my mouth, and enter my sinuses. Once there, they're going to cut through my upper jaw, and disconnect it from my skull. Then, they'll move it into a more appropriate position, and fasten it there with a series of plates and screws.
Yikes, that sounds crazy. And I can still only think of this.
No Caption Provided

Good luck sir! I hope your iron jaw serves you well.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By htr10
@Weltal said:
" @TooWalrus said:
"  Let me explain this, they're going to cut open the roof of my mouth, and enter my sinuses. Once there, they're going to cut through my upper jaw, and disconnect it from my skull. Then, they'll move it into a more appropriate position, and fasten it there with a series of plates and screws.
Yikes, that sounds crazy. And I can still only think of this.
No Caption Provided
   Good luck sir! I hope your iron jaw serves you well. "
there are worse venture brothers' characters to replicate.  there are also better ones...brock...
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

Geez, and I thought having six teeth pulled once was a big deal :P  Good luck and try to have confidence you'll be alright, because there are talented professionals working on you.  

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eidderf

It doesn't sound particularly dangerous, I'm sure you'll be fine. From my experience when they knock you out it's not really like going to sleep, it'll feel like no time has passed between blacking out and waking up so from your perspective the operation with be over within a second so there won't be much to worry about anyway.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Good luck bro.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch3burashka

A. Remove 4 teeth. 
B. Remove skull. 

Well, obviously you should go with option B.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody

Good luck dude, be sure to make a blog about it after you survive.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By cornbredx

Wow that whole sedation thing is creepy.

Anyways, good luck. Orthodontic surgery sucks. I hate dentists. My teeth are also yellow and you'd probably hate me.

That's ok, i forgive you. Because your the dude with the walrus pic from that Pax Panel or whatever GB video that was, and your going into surgery (which sucks).

For serious now, though, Best of luck! 
=)

@Jethuty: Actually, its the forum for the concept page "Death" on the wiki. I find it clever and funny he put this post here. hehe
=P
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By eroticfishcake

Sounds rough but I'm sure they've got proper surgeons doing the job so don't worry too much. Still, good luck mate!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snipzor

You'll do great, and hopefully they'll manage to knock you the hell out for this operation.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

Good luck Mr. Walrus. Sounds scary to me.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Emilio

Good, luck! I'll pray to the universe. Send us a message when you're back.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CptBedlam
@TooWalrus: Good luck man. The procedure probably sounds worse than it actually is. Try not to think too much about every detail. I'm sure afterwards you'll live a whole different and better life.
Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Goboard

I had that same surgery over a year and a half ago. Don't worry about the anesthesia, The second they had the needle in my arm I was out, The stuff they use for surgery is far more potent than what they used when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. 

I'd be more worried about the time after the surgery, Since your only having the upper jaw worked on you may or may not have to stay in the hospital overnight. That was by far the worst part of the whole deal. I had a hard time sleeping, swallowing was difficulty and I had plenty of bloody noses. Everything after that should be a lot better.

A few things I would get if you haven't already are the ocean spray nasal spray because you will have a seriously runny nose with blood possibly. I'd also get a large variety of different foods you can have that you rotate every other day. I know that half way through the ten days that I had my mouth wired shut I was sick and tired of ensure, v8 and tomato soup. I found that milkshakes were a great way to get a large amount of calories and have something that I never grew tired of. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask I'll do my best to answer them.

I sure you'll be fine though.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By buzz_clik
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IBurningStar

GL; HB

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By htr10
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wow, that all sounds crazy. I'd flip out if some dentist was yanking my teeth out like that.  =P 

Good luck anyhow. I'm sure it won't be as bad as you may imagine. Things almost never are.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Example1013

I hate nitrous anyways. I panicked when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, because I basically couldn't get my body to react to the fact that this dude was about to stick a needle/tube in my arm. I hate needles. Especially when they're in my arm.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BraveToaster

Give 'em hell, Walrus. Give 'em hell.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

You can't be knocked out with drugs?  Lucky you.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

I cringed reading this whole thing. Oh my god.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'd think that if I were gonna go out, the operating table would be the place for it to happen. You'll never know you're dead. 

Having said that, you really have nothing to worry about. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akrid
@Slaker117: Even if he doesn't die, I suspect he will be left with a trauma so great that it will bend his soul, his being, his very moral fiber.  

Yes. It will destroy this man, this "TooWalrus", with such totality that all that remains is a mere husk, a fleeting shadow of the being he once was. Faint gibberings uttered from his now-bionic jaw can be heard at all hours throughout his household, a pale attempt to recall the words he once commanded with such authority.

Hark! He goes suddenly into the night, in his delusion chasing the last prey, the ultimate prey, the only prey that can satiate his bloodlust: His fellow man. He descends on his latest catch, flippers splayed, jaw unhinged, flawless pink teeth bared...!

R.I.P. TooWalrus. He was simply too walrus.  

('cos of his teeth, see.)
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

I didn't know they could do that.  Good luck.  Just think of how awesome it will be to bite down on a sandwhich after your jaw has recovered and healed up.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By kingzetta

aww that's a sad thought

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Seems like you have very little chance of survival so... 

Sorry, bro.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck. Don't worry, they have top men on it. Top men.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

That's the kind of surgery I wouldn't want explained to me by my doctor. Just shut up, take my money and fix me.  

Well good luck to you sir. My body is also quite resistant to some medicines.. I tend to take twice or more of the recommended amount of painkillers to have any effect, and I'm deathly scared of surgery because I don't want to even come close to feeling or knowing what's being done to me haha. 

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus: 
ull be fine, dont worry about it!  they might have to make you OD on nitrous this time (god knows what that might lead to) but theyre professionals so its all good... 
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds absolutely terrifying.  Good luck.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By wrighteous86

When you get out of there A-Okay, if you ever come by Chicago, I'll buy you a pizza.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By innacces14

So you're basically going through the character creator in ME2 in case you didn't like your ME1 look... 

...good luck, man. Have Batman.