#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I have had my Kindle for about a year now, i got mine last September, I was immediately impressed with how light it was and how comfortable it was to hold. Downloading books was also very quick and easy, having samples was a good idea too. But lately I've been thinking about how much I have used my Kindle, so here it is, I have read a total of 6 books. Now that is not a lot of books, I've grown to realise that I miss books. I miss going in a bookstore and looking through there selections, I miss enjoying the art on the front of a book and you know even holding the book and the way the paper feels. So today while I was out shopping I picked up the new book by Darren Shan, it felt weird after all of this time buying a physical book, but I enjoyed it. I'm considering giving my Kindle to somebody else and going back to books.

So I ask you, am I crazy? Do you miss books, is it weird to go back to books?

#2 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

Some people read books for content, others read it for an experience. If your a content dude, utility is all that matters, if your an experience dude then maybe books might be better for you.

Personally i'm a content dude, so I love my kindle and I read like 1 book a week.

#3 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

p books 4 life

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I bring my phone everywhere. I'd rather have books on my phone than carry a book along with my phone. Of course I also wouldn't want a dedicated book device.

#5 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

I love my Kindle and I also love physical books. I don't think you have to choose one or the other. The Kindle is great for those times when you're traveling or want a book instantaneously, without having to actually go to the store to buy it. I reserve my physical book buying, for series I'm collecting (say Stephen King's Dark Tower Series) and ones I know will look good on the shelf/coffee table.

Same goes with comic books!

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Labman said:

I love my Kindle and I also love physical books. I don't think you have to choose one or the other. The Kindle is great for those times when you're traveling or want a book instantaneously, without having to actually go to the store to buy it. I reserve my physical book buying, for series I'm collecting (say Stephen King's Dark Tower Series) and ones I know will look good on the shelf/coffee table.

Same goes with comic books!

You see I don't travel much, when I do I'm happy with listening to music/podcasts.

#7 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3400 posts) -

@Hizang: I'd say do what you most feel comfortable with and will enjoy more. Kindle does have its benefits like instantly being able to grab something to read while on the go with a wi-fi connection. Books, nothing can beat the feel of paper between the fingers and usually durable, I don't have to worry about carrying a book in my backpack and the possibility of crushing it. I for one do both so it doesn't matter which one I carry I sometimes actually buy both if its a particular book I like and I also want a copy sitting on my bookshelf. But yeah if you don't think you're not gonna use it much give it to someone who may appreciate it more, the kindle is not for everyone.

- Another benefit of the Kindle, a cheap and effective way to utilize instapaper if you have articles you wanna read online but don't have quite enough time to read them.

#8 Posted by sergeantz (140 posts) -

I do not miss books. The kindle is easier to take from place to place, and I can take a break here and there to read a couple of pages pretty much any time I want.

#9 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

Being a college student and having to spend several hundred dollars on large physical books every six months or so has kind of turned me off physical books.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

So I found this, its very convincing.

1. If you lose one, you’ve only lost one.
  2. You can loan a book to a friend.
  3. Or you can borrow one.
  4. You don’t have to turn it off when your flight is taking off or landing.
  5. Others can see what you’re reading. You might make a new friend based on a common interest.
  6. You can impress your date with the type of books on your shelves. Or, you can see what your date is interested in by their shelves. Both excellent conversation starters.
  7. You can take old books that you no longer want to a book exchange to trade for new books, or at least new-to-you books.
  8. Or you can donate them to libraries or charity shops so they can continue to do good after you’re finished with them.
  9. Or you can leave them somewhere for others to pick up.
  10. A book can be signed by the author.
  11. Books can appreciate in value. Ever seen a bidding war for a version-1 pdf?
  12. The battery never runs out.
  13. Books weather and age. A book can tell a story quite apart from what is written in it.
  14. You can write a dedication in a book you give as a gift.
  15. They have page numbers.
  16. You can throw a bad book across the room, out the window or up a creek with minimal damage.
  17. You can tell when a book has been read and how much it has been returned to.
  18. Books can be beautiful.
  19. Books are biodegradable.
  20. You can use cool bookmarks.
  21. You can highlight passages or make notes by whatever means suit you.
  22. Books are compatible with anything.
  23. No DRM.
  24. Books smell awesome.
  25. Books make a house feel like a home.
  26. Books have different fonts.
  27. A well-loved book will naturally fall open at your favourite part.
  28. A cookbook can be open in the kitchen with minimal risk of damage from spatter.
  29. If you buy a book from one store, you can still books from other stores.
  30. Books come with their own customised dust jacket at no extra charge.
  31. Paper is not a proprietary format.
  32. You don’t have to worry that a newer, better version will come out next year.
  33. Books aren’t printed in Chinese sweatshops. (yet)
  34. Books don’t crash or need their OS updated.
  35. Once you own a book, you own it. The store can’t take it off your shelf when the licencing arrangements change.
  36. Books don’t automatically update when you don’t want them to.
  37. Bookshelves are works of art.
  38. Books are tactile.
  39. Books don’t need protection. They’re either flexible enough to take a bit of bending or hard enough to resist it.
  40. Instant on.
#11 Posted by Artikay (112 posts) -

I miss books, mostly because I was getting close to finally filling out my bookshelf. But Ive saved hundreds since I bought my kindle, and I do most of my reading out of the house. I wish amazon gave you the option to buy a paper book with the option to get it on kindle too, like how dvds come with download versions sometimes.

#12 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

I bought a 45 $ ebook for my kindle the other day. Now wishing I had paid 55$ for the physical version.

#13 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I use both. The kindle really comes into its own when you are going on holiday. Four being around the house I like to have a book. I also still like to browse bookshops. I don't see why printed and e-books can't go hand in hand with one another.

#14 Posted by the_korben (66 posts) -

I'm studying abroad (the "over-the-ocean"-type of abroad). Once I'm done, I'm planning to move somewhere else, most likely back to my home country. I've read about 30 books this year so far. If I bought every single book as physical copies, there is no way I could keep all these books with me when I'm moving again. Therefore, I mostly buy Kindle books right now as I get to keep them (or I borrow from the library). Once I'm back home, I'm planning to populate a few nice bookshelves again.

Concerning the experience, I really like both ways of reading. But it's a bummer that you can't lend most of your Kindle books to your friends. I really wish publishers would get their act together and give you a free ebook with every physical copy (perhaps with a slight increase in price if necessary).

#15 Posted by crazyleaves (646 posts) -
@Hizang I heard a story on the radio about Stanley Kubrick and books. His secretary said he came into the office with a handtruck full of boxes that were full of books. She said he went into his office and started reading, he would pick a book up at random and open to wherever and read. If he didn't like what he read he would fling it at the wall. She said it went on like this for about three hours, a moment of silence then a curse and a bang. When she finally realised it had gotten quiet she opened the door and he was reading The Shining.

Books are great, I gave my kindle to my wife, she loves it.
#16 Posted by SSully (4191 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

I bought a 45 $ ebook for my kindle the other day. Now wishing I had paid 55$ for the physical version.

It sounds like you bought some kind of technical/school book, which are horrible for kindles. For novels, and other personal reading the kindle is amazing. But when I am buying a book to read up on a new programming language or something, the physical book is better every time You just can't use kindle books for reference as easily as physical books.

#17 Posted by shrinerr (137 posts) -

I miss real books as much as I miss going to the store and buying my video games. i.e. I don't.

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

I can understand missing books. I still buy them occasionally but the convenience of e-books is hard to beat. My books sync between my iPhone and Nexus 7 so I can put one device down and pick it up on the other at the same spot.
The other issue for me is how much a pain in the ass books can be to move. I've moved a few times in the last few years and hauling around boxes of books sucks. Having 1000 books on a device that fits in my pocket beats paper any day.

#19 Edited by Atlas (2447 posts) -

So the book I'm reading at the moment is a big fantasy novel - namely Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. The pages are quite small, and the text is very close to the inside fold of the pages, meaning that you constantly need to hold the book firmly open in order to read it. It's just not comfortable to hold, and the only reason I'm able to read it for more than an hour in one sitting is because it's an engaging well-written book. I really wish I could read it on my Kindle, but it was a gift from a relative who isn't comfortable with the internet and digital services. And this isn't the first time I've had a problem with it.

I'm very comfortable with digital goods instead of physical items. Most of my music purchases are on digital services - the ones that I buy on CD go in the computer, get ripped, and go straight on the shelf and aren't touched unless I want to play them in the car - and I've primarily become a PC gamer and I buy all my games on Steam. I got a Kindle last year to add books to my digital media collection, and I've been very happy with it. I get that some people are attached to physical goods, and would never give up actual books for e-books, but as far as I'm concerned they are on the wrong side of history along with owners of phonographs, Betamax players and CRT televisions.

@Hizang: About half of that list really don't stand up to me. Reads too much like it was written by a technology hating purist with an unhealthy love of paper objects. We should buy physical books because they're tactile? That's a reason? Because they smell awesome? Because they get old and dirty? And the bookshelf thing is bullshit as well - at least digital sales stop people from having books on their shelves that they never read but only have to make people think they're smart or well-read.

Books are biodegradable? As opposed to a digital book which uses no physical resources at all, unlike a book which is made by cutting down a tree?

Hey, going from Chicago to Houston? Why take a plane that's cold, ugly, and pollutes our planet, when you could take a train? On a train, you can watch the Midwest scenery go past, you don't have to turn off your cellphones when pulling in to a station, and it's better for the environment.

#20 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I've had a Kindle for years now and I've enjoyed it but there's just no beating the experience of reading an actual book. The Kindle is nice but I really only use it for certain things, like downloading free copies of Dostoevsky books and satisfying "I've-got-to-have-that-book-this-very-second" impulse buys. For everything else, paper is the way to go.

#21 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I've read tonnes more books since I've gotten Kindle (for my Android). I usually read at night in bed, and I can't stand the awkward way I have to hold physical books when I'm lying down or messing around with the lamp so I can see it well enough. It also allows me to take my gigantic collection with me everywhere.

#22 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3400 posts) -

@Hizang: You forgot some things on your list such as living in a small cramp apartment sometimes you don't have room to store your books, 1 point for the kindle. If your plane crashes and your in the middle of the Siberian Tundra and only have matches, walrus oil and books you can utilize the paper to start a fire. I smell a point for books there. Either way its a win-win situation.

#23 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@SSully said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

It sounds like you bought some kind of technical/school book, which are horrible for kindles. For novels, and other personal reading the kindle is amazing. But when I am buying a book to read up on a new programming language or something, the physical book is better every time You just can't use kindle books for reference as easily as physical books.

It was an history book :(

#24 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@Hizang:It seems like you're just wanting books to make you feel superior to other people cause half of your points are really things that just make you feel better about yourself for reading. If you want me to break down your list here it is. The ones I skipped were because they were hipster-ish responses that I have nothing to argue against. Anyway, I don't get why you have to be mutually exclusive when it comes to electronic or physical.

1.When you lose your kindle you do not lose all the books you bought. You lose the kindle but you still have access to your account which you can view on your pc or phone of choice. You lose a physical book you lose it forever and have to rebuy it.

2.You can borrow books(aka Amazon borrow program or whatever its called). You can also split the cost of a book if it is a pdf book and share between your friends(like most textbooks are).

4. If you're on a flight all you gotta do is just wait till the flight attendants get into their seats to continue using. Also, I never see anybody read during take-off as its incredibly hard to concentrate when the engines are going full blast and just the general loud noises during take off.

5. People can't see what your reading which in my opinion is a whole lot better. As the people that are going to attempt to know what your reading are probably really creepy.

6. If you're really betting on a girl being impressed by your book collection you've gone down the wrong road.

7. You can donate your kindle.

8. Library's still exist and most libraries have electronic versions now.

10. Autographs are stupid. If the author is important enough to get him to sign it then just buy another copy cause you'll never read the one that is signed so it won't get damaged.

11. Books appreciate in value over hundreds of years and usually it's in line with inflation. So unless you plan on living hundreds of years to reap the benefits then it really doesn't matter. Also, don't think that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone is ever going to be worth thousands of dollars. Not to mention first editions are not meant to be read but collected as all the typos and mistakes on in it.

12. Wow really? You're not going to be next to a plug for 3 months of your life? Sorry but really lame excuse.

13. So having a damaged book is good now? okay

14. You can send an email gifting a copy of a book on amazon.

15. Kindle books have page numbers

16. If you're throwing around books you probably should go get some anger management

17. So having perfect copy forever is now a bad thing?

19. Kindles can be recycled

20. You can lose your bookmark

21. You can make notes in kindle to say this page is important and not damage the book in the process.

23. If you forget a book at home you won't have that book but if you forget to put a book on your kindle all you do is connect to wifi and download the book

24. My kindle smells pretty great

26. The books font is usually the same as the kindle version font. At least every book I've ever bought

28. You can print the cookbook recipe and not risk damaging the original.

29. You can buy pdfs from multiple different sites and read them on your kindle

31. Books are inherently a proprietary format cause well you know copyrights

32. Nobody is buying kindles every year except tech people. And Amazon isn't worried about selling multiple kindles to the same person they rather sell you one kindle and have you buy into their system

33. Physical books give all the power to book publishers rather than the writers. Kindle gives the power to the writers hence why book publishers are so afraid of digital distribution.

34. Amazon's site never burns down, gets water damage, thrown away, or any other damage a physical book can get

35. Once you own the book Amazon cannot take your right of owning that book away. Similar to the way if you own that XBLA mortal kombat game that got pulled after Midway sank then you still own the game.

36. Kindle doesn't automatically update until you connect the kindle to the internet in which it asks you. You can always dl the book from amazon on your pc then connect your kindle to your pc and transfer it over.

37. Another it makes me feel better about myself to own multiple books comment. Jeez.

38. Kindle is portable

39. Is your kindle made out of jello or something?

40. I don't need to find my page i just flip the switch and bam done.

#25 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I love my Kindle because book cases take up too much space, and I can buy books without having to wait for the lazy UPS person to deliver my shit.

#26 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

Physical books?

Fuck that noise.

Kindle all day erry day.

#27 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

If a book is rare or just plain not available on kindle I am all about me some books. Also some books have sentimental value to me so I will buy a physical version. HOWEVER... Kindle is far cheaper unless you are buying non rare non valuable used books, and even then the Kindle is rarely much more expensive and is insanely uhmmm better value. The Kindle can hold hundreds of books, I can't fit 10 books in a bag unless I want to risk damaging them or the bag. I can buy a book on kindle any time I want, even on my break at work. Can't buy a physical book whenever I want.

As for the "people will see you reading and ask" well I have gotten more people looking over my shoulder while reading my kindle than I ever did reading a book.

Not saying there is no place for the good ol book out there, but in general the kindle is cheaper, faster, more convenient, and even easier to look stuff up in. Well assuming you know how to use the kindle bookmarks system anyway.

@Atlas: You go. I am actually reading through the entire malazan series on my kindle even now. On book 9.

#28 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

No, I'm with you on liking physical books. But I guess I have to say that by default because I've never owned an e-reader. Just a question: do they strain you eyes after a while? Because when i do decide to read, I will sit down for hours and make an arbitrary point I'd like to get to before I stop.

#29 Posted by Silver-Streak (1362 posts) -

I understand people that are way into the "experience" of reading books, and if that is what floats your boat, go for it.

However, I only care about the quality of the book. The medium of which it is delivered on is irrelevant to me, and does not enhance the experience in my case, so I like my kindle and tablet(for reading in bed with the lights off) just fine.

#30 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I don't miss books, and I embrace the digital future. I see the big picture in the fact that paper production will take a nosedive, and thus trees won't be cut down nearly as much, and deforestation will slow/stop. I do miss being able to easily loan/borrow, though. That's definitely one of the biggest missteps of digital books, and the Kindle platform especially.

#31 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

I'm never going back to real books.

#32 Posted by adam1808 (1500 posts) -

I still love sitting down with a good book, but since I'm always on the move a Kindle is always preferable for getting my reading fix in between getting important stuff done.

#33 Posted by hermes (1487 posts) -

I have both. Sometimes I even bought physical versions of kindle books because I enjoy them and want them in my collection; but living in South America means I have to import many of my books, so having a kindle is a great alternative.

#34 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

I don't miss physical books at all. I've come to a point in my life where physical space is more important to me than the feeling of holding something tactile and then putting it on the shelf when I'm done. When I moved a few years ago, having to pack all the books I'd accumulated was a chore. The bookshelf was just more space. No more real books for me!

#35 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3400 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: What about books not provided on Kindle? Last time I checked I don't believe Jurassic Park is on the kindle store.

Real concern I have is besides the kindle is there really another ebook reader out there? Is the nook sill a viable competitor or is it pretty much tablets the main competitors to the kindle besides books.

#36 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Any nook users in here? I have the original nook and it's been serviceable for me.

#37 Edited by gunslingerNZ (1903 posts) -

I've read all my books over the past 3 years on kindle until a couple of weeks ago when I was travelling and forgot to bring it. I bought a book instead and found the reading experience to be completely different. It felt weird to be holding such a heavy block of wood and I found that I read a little slower since the words were more difficult to make out on the pages.

I'm not generally a nostalgic person so maybe that influences my feelings but I don't miss the paper experience at all. To me it's an inferior and more expensive way to feed a reading habit.

@Atlas: Totally agree about the bookshelf point, dumping all my books was a great space saver. I do sort of want a couple of great coffee table books to have around though.