ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ryoma122

this question is for all of you who work face to face with customers  
how do you react when a customer askes you for help or askes a question but the second you try to help them  
they start talking to some one on the phone  

im only asking this because it happened to me to day and my boss shouted at me because  
i told the customer in question that i would return to help them when they finished there phone  
call and they complained saying that i just walked away even through they were not paying attention  
and i was very busy  so please tell me how you would handle this situation

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

I would have done the same. I don't think you did anything wrong. Though that's never happened to me before because I work in the back of a Bowling Center with no one.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Chipset_Seven

Develop a time machine and put the customer on the phone back into the past for about 15 minutes so they can finish the call.  Otherwise, accept the fact that being an employee sometimes really sucks and that bosses like to yell.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

Should have yelled whatever said answer what have been in their face.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

Would of smacked the phone out of their hand and then bitchslap them.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryoma122

yeah i no im in the rite and the customer and my boss are both jack asses  
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza

Politely stand there, do nothing, and wait for them to finish their conversation. Once they are done talking on the phone, help the customer with their query and then continue on doing what you were doing before. It sucks, but it's the only right thing to do, because if you tell them you'll be right back and help them as soon as they are off the phone, then the customer can and probably will interpret that as rude and you ignoring them. It blows, but it's the only thing to do. Also, you standing there waiting to help them and answer their query, which they have already asked you, while they are talking on the phone places pressure on them to end the telephone conversation and get off the phone.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By yakov456

Thats why I'm not in customer service anymore. I was the boss and I couldn't handle shit like that. In retail, you really get an idea of just how many scumbags are out there. The customer is not always right, the customer is always a douche.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

God, what kind of asshole calls and complains about an employee. Probably a recently fired person who feels the same should happen to everyone else. 

I've never honestly understood "customer complaints" unless you just want the guy who did something "so awful" to you to loose his job.

djz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By djz
@SJSchmidt93 said:
"God, what kind of asshole calls and complains about an employee. Probably a recently fired person who feels the same should happen to everyone else.  I've never honestly understood "customer complaints" unless you just want the guy who did something "so awful" to you to loose his job. "

I absouletly agree! 

The customer is always a dick.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@gingertastic_10 said:
"  I work in the back of a Bowling Center with no one. "
i envy you
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
"  I work in the back of a Bowling Center with no one. "
i envy you "
I see why you would lol. But it gets really boring.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By teh_destroyer

You know what pisses me off more? When a customer needs something on the shelf that I know is in  the back room,  I go back there and grab it for them. Only to go back and find out my customer isn't there anymore >_>

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeoMinor

I've been there before - several times.  But as much as it sucks, you should always wait for the dumbass to get off the phone to avoid having them bitch to your manager because you walked away.  Remember, they were crazy enough to ask for help and then jump on the phone, so they are also crazy enough to bitch about you walking away.  

Thankfully most times a customer would just mute the ringer or apologize, tell the person on the other line that they will call back and then let me continue.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By AgentJ

Back when I worked at Gamestop, I just did what they asked me to do. It may have been a different situation, but that is what you are being paid to do. 

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryoma122
@AgentJ:
yeah but they never asked me to do anything the person said son can you help me with this  
so i go over and the person aswers there fone like im not there  
aaarrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

i hate seeing people do that. i don't have a job but i know kind of how it feels. i hate going somewhere like walmart, best buy and seeing someone say can u help me and then their phone goes off. i kind of want to slap the person. i hate people on cellphones in general. i hate seeing them talking to someone  while shopping. 

when i worked at a place where i made popcorn and things when i sold it there were a lot of people who would say can i get this and that and then their cellphone would go off and they would answer it i would wait there while a big line was waiting to their food.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Rowr

stand there and look at them super impatiently.

Basically just do what your boss wants next time and wait for them, if he bitches then well just remind him he yelled at you for the opposite reason last time, and ask him directly what he expects of you in that situation.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By GreggD
@Cerza said:
" Politely stand there, do nothing, and wait for them to finish their conversation. Once they are done talking on the phone, help the customer with their query and then continue on doing what you were doing before. It sucks, but it's the only right thing to do, because if you tell them you'll be right back and help them as soon as they are off the phone, then the customer can and probably will interpret that as rude and you ignoring them. It blows, but it's the only thing to do. Also, you standing there waiting to help them and answer their query, which they have already asked you, while they are talking on the phone places pressure on them to end the telephone conversation and get off the phone. "
This makes the most sense to me.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_

The customer is always right. Plus, it gets you out of doing anything for at least a minute or two. Why the hell would you complain?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By breadfan

Most places have this 'the customer is always right' policy.  So basically your the customer's bitch. 

I would have done exactly what you did.  You were doing your job trying to help her and she pretty much blew you off.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I hate it, but if you work at a place with a "Customer's always right" policy, you have to deal with it. Plus, @Jayge is right. You get to take a short break! :D

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Black_Rose

You just have to stand there and take it, this happened to me a few times, very annoying but there's nothing you can do about it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@djz said:
"@SJSchmidt93 said:
"God, what kind of asshole calls and complains about an employee. Probably a recently fired person who feels the same should happen to everyone else.  I've never honestly understood "customer complaints" unless you just want the guy who did something "so awful" to you to loose his job. "
I absouletly agree!   The customer is always a dick. "
A-fucking-men. "Customers suck."
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@ryoma122: When I worked in retail, I would wait patiently and then, when they are finished on the cell, I'd fake a call and do the same to them. Christ, my boss let me away with blue murder.....
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karmum
@yakov456 said:
" Thats why I'm not in customer service anymore. I was the boss and I couldn't handle shit like that. In retail, you really get an idea of just how many scumbags are out there. The customer is not always right, the customer is always a douche. "
Unfortunately, customer matters first between the worker and the buyer.
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryoma122
@hunkaburningluv:
see i was realy in a bad mood earlyer and just wanted to see what other people would  
in that situation and if it were my other boss that was working to day he would have told the customer  
to piss off but if i do that crap i get fired and i realy need the job lol
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By CL60

The customer is always right. That's what they say at least.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yakov456
@Karmum said:
" @yakov456 said:
" Thats why I'm not in customer service anymore. I was the boss and I couldn't handle shit like that. In retail, you really get an idea of just how many scumbags are out there. The customer is not always right, the customer is always a douche. "
Unfortunately, customer matters first between the worker and the buyer. "
Exactly, that is why I no longer work in the industry! Nothing like being beaten down over a 20 cent price difference on a product. Eat shit and die granny.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By calidan777

I usually punch them in the face, works like a charm.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@ryoma122: my boss knew I wasn't really interested in the job, so he'd let me pretty much do what I wanted, still buds with him to this day. 

I totally understand that some customers are scum. One tried to fleece me by saying she gave me a £5 note, which under normal circumstances I may have believed here, but I didn't have any £5 notes in my till (register)! She stood there for 15 minutes trying to tell me what I had done and that I should give her it back. Silly bitch was sent packing and I took a level of the cash I had. Interestingly, I was bang right on the float.......
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryoma122

only chuck norris can count the to the number of how many scum bags there are lol

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By JJOR64

I would let the finish there phone call, then help them.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karmum
@yakov456 said:
" @Karmum said:
" @yakov456 said:
Unfortunately, customer matters first between the worker and the buyer. "
Exactly, that is why I no longer work in the industry! Nothing like being beaten down over a 20 cent price difference on a product. Eat shit and die granny. "
Chances are I'm going to be working in this business. Kids gotta start somewhere, and it's almost always here. Unless I get lucky and become a busboy or something.
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryoma122
@Karmum:
well yes most people do start in this business and are generaly promoted through there compony  
untill they have aquired the skilles needed for a better job so either eat lots of bull shit for the rest  
of your life or you become a bank robber
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Gunner
@Jayge: Trust me, I've seen some stupid fucking customers in my day.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NathHaw

My friend hated working at Office Depot.  He hated that people would always address him as Jim.  Not so bad since that is his name, but they would only state his name after starting their questions.  In the middle of these questions, these customers would pause to (also probably adjust their glasses) look at his name-tag, say his name, and then continue with the rest of these questions.  Maybe a bit condescending (especially to my friend...ya gotta know him).

One day and from then on (I don't know how this got by the mangers), he decided to take the name-tag printer and call himself "Diesel."  From what I hear from him, the awkward silence between these normal questions and the realization/utterance of that name was pretty priceless.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust
@Cerza said:
" Politely stand there, do nothing, and wait for them to finish their conversation. Once they are done talking on the phone, help the customer with their query and then continue on doing what you were doing before. It sucks, but it's the only right thing to do, because if you tell them you'll be right back and help them as soon as they are off the phone, then the customer can and probably will interpret that as rude and you ignoring them. It blows, but it's the only thing to do. Also, you standing there waiting to help them and answer their query, which they have already asked you, while they are talking on the phone places pressure on them to end the telephone conversation and get off the phone. "
This is the proper response.  The only time you can break this rule is if during your wait, another customer asks you for help.  You then excuse yourself from the first customer and try to help the second one, but you need to keep an eye on the first during the process.  If they get off the phone, you need to find the second customer a new attendant and return to the first.  You should also apologize for leaving the first customer and reiterate you intention to help them.  Being calm, polite and understanding are the most important things in customer service.  Even if you are unsuccessful, if the customer feels you've tried they are likely to return again and that means more purchases. 
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Your boss is an idiot. If someone starts a phone call right after they ask you a question, your priority is to then help a customer who isn't busy yappin to someone on another line. And then, like you said, go back to that customer once they are finished with their call.

I used to work at a bar, and the rules were "If you're on the phone, you're not a customer". Good rule if you ask me.