A quick heads-up - Indie Game: The Movie is on Netflix Instant!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Sooperspy

So I was just checking out what was on Netflix and hidden deep within the Documentaries section I found, excitedly so, Indie Game: The Movie! I have wanted to see this for a long while but have yet to do so, but I know what I'm watching tonight! Since it's kinda hard to find newly added, good movies on Netflix, I thought I would give a heads-up to everyone interested in the movie and I would think many of you are since the GB editors and community have been known to talk about it a bit.

Edit: And this is US too. Not sure about Canada or Europe and what not.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By mscupcakes

Awesome! I've been meaning to rewatch IGTM and this is the perfect excuse! :D

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

I've been wanting to see that!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Im assuming its not out in Canada?  I should just look this up....

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

I bought it but still... pretty sweet because more people should see it.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By labman

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Im assuming its not out in Canada? I should just look this up....

I'm guessing no...we Canadians always get the shitty end of the Netflix stick. But, I can assure you, it is a great doc and well worth the $9.99 sticker price if you choose to buy!

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ComradeKhan

I'm going to go watch it right now.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By landon

Thanks!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sooperspy

Just finished it and have to say that it was definitely amazing. Loved it. Also, a lot of GB represented in it!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mordukai

@Redbullet685 said:

hidden deep within the Documentaries section

I wouldn't really call it hidden. It was added very recently and it was one of the fist choices when browsing through the Just Arrived section. It pays to check it out once in a while. I also Instant Queue Marley even though I am not a fan of him nor his music but I hear that it was a well made documentary. I'm always down to a good documentary even if I'm not a fan of the subject.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooperspy

@mordukai said:

@Redbullet685 said:

hidden deep within the Documentaries section

I wouldn't really call it hidden. It was added very recently and it was one of the fist choices when browsing through the Just Arrived section.

Well it was just in the documentaries section for me. I believe Netflix chooses what movies to show you in the categories based off of the movies/shows that you've watched.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By algertman

My God. Thank you Team Meat for making this watchable. Phil Fish is douche bag and Johnathon Blow is a tool. They are completely full of shit.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac
@algertman

My God. Thank you Team Meat for making this watchable. Phil Fish is douche bag and Johnathon Blow is a tool. They are completely full of shit.

Yep, Team Meat made it better than it could have been without them. Also love the Giantbomb love! :)
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

@algertman said:

Those were my views on them but after watching this movie I can understand why they behave the way they do.

My main criticism of the film is that Phil Fish's former partner did not get his "15 minutes" to express his side of the story. I would have excepted his omission from the movie if he was asked and then refused but the makers saw it fot not to include him. To me that made the whole Fez section of the movie very much one sided story.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By yoshimitz707
@Labman

I'm guessing no...we Canadians always get the shitty end of the Netflix stick. But, I can assure you, it is a great doc and well worth the $9.99 sticker price if you choose to buy!

Guys, stop using that shitty Canadian Netflix and use something like unblock-us to get an American account.
mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mesoian

Oh sweet. I won a copy of Adobe CS5.5 when I saw IGTM in theaters, I was super stoked.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WMWA
@Labman

They're selling it on their website half price with the code "butidonthavenetflix" 4.99
jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmfinamore

Cool, I missed it when it came to my city before.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By algertman

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

Those were my views on them but after watching this movie I can understand why they behave the way they do.

My main criticism of the film is that Phil Fish's former partner did not get his "15 minutes" to express his side of the story. I would have excepted his omission from the movie if he was asked and then refused but the makers saw it fot not to include him. To me that made the whole Fez section of the movie very much one sided story.

Fish acted like a spoiled little shit. It also makes the indie scene look pathetic that Fez won awards as far back as '08.

The ex-partner was not asked to be part of the movie I don't think. They also don't mention things like the new partner being involved with getting the movie made.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WMWA
@mordukai yeah, those are pretty much my feelings. Still loved the movie as it stands. Super entertaining
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

@algertman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

Fish acted like a spoiled little shit. It also makes the indie scene look pathetic that Fez won awards as far back as '08.

The ex-partner was not asked to be part of the movie I don't think. They also don't mention things like the new partner being involved with getting the movie made.

"Phil Fish's ex-business partner was not asked to participate in this movie".

This raised a few red flags with me. Obviously there's another side to this story but the movie makers saw it fit to omit it. The movie makers should have given both sides of the story and then let the viewer decided which side they sympathize with. However, what they did is given one side, Fish's side, painted his ex partner as this faceless villain who's out for blood and made Fish look like the victim even though at the end his ex partner signed the papers and did not peruse legal action for Fish's decision to show FEZ at PAX, before there was a signature, even though he was clearly not allowed to.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By algertman

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

This raised a few red flags with me. Obviously there's another side to this story but the movie makers saw it fit to omit it. The movie makers should have given both sides of the story and then let the viewer decided which side they sympathize with. However, what they did is given one side, Fish's side, painted his ex partner as this faceless villain who's out for blood and made Fish look like the victim even though at the end his ex partner signed the papers and did not peruse legal action for Fish's decision to show FEZ at PAX, before there was a signature, even though he was clearly not allowed to.

They changed it to that. It originally it said he didn't want to participate the movie, which was not true.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By happenstance

Its on Uk Netflix as well, I watched it earlier and really enjoyed it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By mesoian

@algertman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

I'll agree that there were a lot of holes in the movie, but I don't necessarily think that how Phil Fish was portrayed was one of them. The movie does a good job building up why he's so crazy about how work and such, and, while it doesn't do a good job showing the negatives of his personality in the industry, it still shows him as being relatively emotionally unstable and constantly walking this fine edge of complete financial and mental collapse. It makes for good television.

When I talked to the film makers behind the movie, I asked them why out of all of the 26 or so indie devs they talked to, they only chose to focus on stories of success. In short, the answer was because it makes for an easier story to get behind, and they ended up having to go down the same route that most indie devs do in order to have gotten that movie made (kickstarter, donations, etc). They said that the DVD would have more content on there, but I haven't seen it.

And again, people need to seperate the work from the artist. FEZ is an amazing game, regardless of whether or not you like Phil Fish.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Mesoian said:

@algertman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

I'll agree that there were a lot of holes in the movie, but I don't necessarily think that how Phil Fish was portrayed was one of them. The movie does a good job building up why he's so crazy about how work and such, and, while it doesn't do a good job showing the negatives of his personality in the industry, it still shows him as being relatively emotionally unstable and constantly walking this fine edge of complete financial and mental collapse. It makes for good television.

When I talked to the film makers behind the movie, I asked them why out of all of the 26 or so indie devs they talked to, they only chose to focus on stories of success. In short, the answer was because it makes for an easier story to get behind, and they ended up having to go down the same route that most indie devs do in order to have gotten that movie made (kickstarter, donations, etc). They said that the DVD would have more content on there, but I haven't seen it.

And again, people need to seperate the work from the artist. FEZ is an amazing game, regardless of whether or not you like Phil Fish.

Yeah, look at all the subhuman garbage involved in the beloved film and music industries. Sometimes creative geniuses are complete assholes.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By EVO

Personally, I thought Phil Fish was cool. If anyone was a douche, it was Tommy Refenes.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nicked

Watched it a few days ago and I didn't think it was that great. I didn't like incessant focus on depression and the implication that if you're an "artist" you HAVE to be depressed. That and the theme of "misunderstood artists". It just felt trite. Additionally, I don't think they incorporated Jonathan Blow into the structure very well. It's worth a watch, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for something more focused. If the movie had just been about one of the developers it probably would have been more interesting to me.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By butano

@Nicked said:

Watched it a few days ago and I didn't think it was that great. I didn't like incessant focus on depression and the implication that if you're an "artist" you HAVE to be depressed. That and the theme of "misunderstood artists". It just felt trite. Additionally, I don't think they incorporated Jonathan Blow into the structure very well. It's worth a watch, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for something more focused. If the movie had just been about one of the developers it probably would have been more interesting to me.

Yea, I watched it last night and thought it wasn't as good as the praise has been for it. Edmund was my favorite part of the movie, while everyone else just made it that "Oh, I'm an artist and if you don't see the art, then you're unsophisticated and not worth making games for if all you want to do is 'have fun.'" Fish saying at one point that CoD and Halo were shit (no reason why, just that they are) just irked me the wrong way, and that I'm not a 'real gamer' if I play games like that.

I loved Super Meat Boy, thought Braid was pretty rad, and haven't played Fez yet cause Fish doesn't want/can't/whothefuckknowsbuthim make it a PC game.

EDIT: It was Tommy, not Fish that said the CoD/Halo comment. My mistake.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By djstyles92

The only likable guy in the entire movie was Edmund. The rest of the guys are fucking crazy and annoyingly depressing

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'd been wanting to watch it for a while. Totally worth it.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Djstyles92 said:

The only likable guy in the entire movie was Edmund. The rest of the guys are fucking crazy and annoyingly depressing

I got about 5 minutes into the movie and gave up. If your opening scene is some whiny man-child cursing at his xbox, you're not exactly making your audience believe this is a guy worth listening to. And yeah, everyone else just seemed like self-absorbed assholes.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By algertman

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Djstyles92 said:

I got about 5 minutes into the movie and gave up. If your opening scene is some whiny man-child cursing at his xbox, you're not exactly making your audience believe this is a guy worth listening to. And yeah, everyone else just seemed like self-absorbed assholes.

That was the other half of Team Meat with Edmund. The guy you mentioned is actually not that bad. He comes off like he has fried his brain working on Meat Boy but they go more into his personal life than some of the others and he comes off better than Fish or Blow. The first thing he wanted to do with his money was pay his parents house off.

But the opening scene, damn, is it bad.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai

@CosmicBatman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

@mordukai said:

@algertman said:

There is also a chance that they avoided talking to his partner for fear of losing Phil from the movie, or the legal reasons at the time. Also, it probably wouldn't fit in with the flow of the movie although I would definitely would like to see the other side of the story (We already know Phil is kind of a douche).

If Phil Fish would have pulled out because they interviewed his former partner then you would know that something was up and maybe he's not the victim he makes himself to be. It's obvious from the movie that Fish is a very hard person to get along with on a personal level. I'm sure that his partner has a very different view on the events spoken of in the movie.

My problem is not with Phil Fish himself but more with the movie makers and the way they omitted that part of the story. Also the way that they painted his former partner as someone who's trying to "ruin" Phil. If he was out for blood then he would have A.) Sued the living shit out of Phil Fish for showing FEZ at PAX before the papers were signed and B.) Not sign the contract at all.

I'm sure that when the day comes and that partner decides it's time for him to tell his side then he would be able to find the outlet for it.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By AlfredCapone

@Redbullet685 said:

Just finished it and have to say that it was definitely amazing. Loved it. Also, a lot of GB represented in it!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kishinfoulux

@algertman said:

Honestly I thought they were just as douchey as Fish. They just seem incredibly arrogant.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

@Labman said:

We do but there are simple VPN solutions to that problem.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By labman

@MikkaQ: True that! But, my Internet connection is crappy at the best of times...route it through a VPN and it would crawl. Definitely not fast enough to stream movies.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eidderf

@Butano:It was Tommy from Team Meat who had the little rant about CoD and Halo not Phil Fish, but I agree it would have been better if he was given time to explain that view point instead of just dismissing more mainstream games without any real reason.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By butano

@Eidderf: Ooops. My mistake! That's what I get for starting to watch it at midnight and finishing it at 2:00am I guess.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Nice, thanks for the heads-up.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EVO

@Eidderf said:

@Butano:It was Tommy from Team Meat who had the little rant about CoD and Halo not Phil Fish

I thought it was Edmund?

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By butano

@EVO said:

@Eidderf said:

@Butano:It was Tommy from Team Meat who had the little rant about CoD and Halo not Phil Fish

I thought it was Edmund?

Not gonna watch the movie again to find the part, but Bungie says it was Tommy.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EVO

@Butano said:

@EVO said:

@Eidderf said:

I thought it was Edmund?

Not gonna watch the movie again to find the part, but Bungie says it was Tommy.

Yeah, you're probably right.