A sudden urge..........

libertyordeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By libertyordeath

After taking quite a six month hiatus from everything video games, I suddenly was overtaken with an urge to start playing again.  The saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" accurately conveys my reaction in returning to the universe of video games.  The Wii still dominates and the PS3 is the still the tortoise, I doubt this will ever change. 

One of the reasons I believe drew me back was the release of Empire: Total War (at some time in the past I had pre-ordered it).  the Total War series is one of my favorites so I figured I would give it a try. 

:Three days later:

I could not have been more disappointed by a Total War game.  Everything done right in Rome and Medieval 2 were gone, replaced with functions that only succeeded in annoying me.  The UI and its many tabs were asthetically boring and in some cases rather confusing, but I attribute that problem to having not played for some time.  The campaign map was quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen (which saying something as I am forced to look in the mirror every morning) and the constant stuttering around the screen was unbearable. I don't have the most powerful computer but the battles are smooth as water so it must be a bug that is the cause of all my stuttering because I have read where I am not the only person who is having this problem.  I'm going to continue playing though because everything with time gets better.

Other than Empire, I'm playing Final Fantasy VII with the goal of actually finishing it this time.  I'm playing it on the PC and it is enjoyable to say the least (I'm using a 360 controller).  I am only about one hour in so I have much more to do and who knows when I will finally complete it. 

With regards to my sudden appearance on the site, I have always to write about video games and other facets of the video game industry and after looking around I found that Giantbomb is the best possible site to to do so and I look forward to expressing my views, no matter what others think of them. 

libertyordeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By libertyordeath

After taking quite a six month hiatus from everything video games, I suddenly was overtaken with an urge to start playing again.  The saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" accurately conveys my reaction in returning to the universe of video games.  The Wii still dominates and the PS3 is the still the tortoise, I doubt this will ever change. 

One of the reasons I believe drew me back was the release of Empire: Total War (at some time in the past I had pre-ordered it).  the Total War series is one of my favorites so I figured I would give it a try. 

:Three days later:

I could not have been more disappointed by a Total War game.  Everything done right in Rome and Medieval 2 were gone, replaced with functions that only succeeded in annoying me.  The UI and its many tabs were asthetically boring and in some cases rather confusing, but I attribute that problem to having not played for some time.  The campaign map was quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen (which saying something as I am forced to look in the mirror every morning) and the constant stuttering around the screen was unbearable. I don't have the most powerful computer but the battles are smooth as water so it must be a bug that is the cause of all my stuttering because I have read where I am not the only person who is having this problem.  I'm going to continue playing though because everything with time gets better.

Other than Empire, I'm playing Final Fantasy VII with the goal of actually finishing it this time.  I'm playing it on the PC and it is enjoyable to say the least (I'm using a 360 controller).  I am only about one hour in so I have much more to do and who knows when I will finally complete it. 

With regards to my sudden appearance on the site, I have always to write about video games and other facets of the video game industry and after looking around I found that Giantbomb is the best possible site to to do so and I look forward to expressing my views, no matter what others think of them. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, I'm glad to hear you're back in the game, man. I don't really play PC games, but I was always intrigued by Rome: Total War. I probably would have really loved it. Bummer to hear you're not liking the new one.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Final Fantasy on the computer sounds pretty cool, number seven no less. I played the Empire Total War Demo, but declined.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

I can't even play Eempire. About 2 minutes in, it crashes every time. Worst 50 bucks I've ever spent.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Optiow

Nice to see you playing games again. 6 months is a long time.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Virago
libertyordeath said:
"

After taking quite a six month hiatus from everything video games, I suddenly was overtaken with an urge to start playing again.  The saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" accurately conveys my reaction in returning to the universe of video games. 

how have i gone my whole life without hearing this saying? do you live on the east coast?
libertyordeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By libertyordeath

I'm not sure where the saying came from or even if its a common saying.  Yes, I do live on the East Coast.