A True Diehard Sports Fan

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By CynicalBuzzard

Is a true diehard sports fan a thing of the past? It seems like in the state that I live in and definitely the area of the state that I live in, I am surrounded by bandwagon fans or people that wear sports gear for how the team's logo looks or it matches their shoes or whatever. I hate not being able to strike up a meaningful sports conversation. So I was wondering if this is happening everywhere or just where I live.

My favorite sports teams are :

LSU Tigers(NCAA)

Baltimore Ravens(NFL)

St. Louis Cardinals(MLB)

New Orleans Pelicans(NBA)

St. Louis Blues(NHL)

Sporting Kansas City(MLS)

So who are your favorite sports teams?

Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Geaux Tigers!!!

and WHO DAT

even though you are a Ravens fan!!!

Born and raised in Baton Rouge! so Im a homer.

as far as baseball I like the horrific Astros, and I like the Yankees because my cousin played for em

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geaux Tigers!!!

and WHO DAT

even though you are a Ravens fan!!!

Born and raised in Baton Rouge! so Im a homer.

as far as baseball I like the horrific Astros, and I like the Yankees because my cousin played for em

I am from Port Allen and lived in Louisiana my whole life. I could never really get behind the Saints even after they started to turn it around. So what do you think about the Astrodome being demolished after Houston voted on it the other day?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope things its been for awhile. I mean back in the late 80's early 90's everyone wore raiders hats and chicago bulls starter jackets cause they looked cool. Not really sure what you're asking here to be honest but my favorite sports teams are

1. Seattle Seahawks
  2. Boston Red Sox
  3. Seattle Sounders
  4. and since the Seattle Sonics are not around I adopted the Golden State Warriors as my NBA team. I will never follow the Oklahoma City Thunder even though they were formally known as the Sonics. Being from Seattle I can never root for the Thunder, never.
Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@cynicalbuzzard: kind of sad but i guess it needed to be done. I think it would have been a mess trying to restore it and since Houston has so many other stadium venues i guess its not suprising. still from a legacy and historic point its a big bummer. I know its been hard to be a Saints fan for the history, but Brees and Payton changed the culture, but good for you not being a bandwagoner i know how La is lol.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ramone

Over here in the UK I think sports fans are a lot more prevalent. It also helps that I live in Newcastle which fills a 52000 seater stadium in a city with a population of 280000. Also wearing sports gear isn't really a fashionable thing for some reason.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Bandwagon fans are always the vast majority of fans. I used to be exactly what you call a diehard sports fan, but I just don't feel like wasting 2-3 hours to watch games every night is a good time investment anymore. I still follow the teams and watch a game about once a week, but I don't spend 30 hours a week watching sports anymore.

As for my teams:

• Red Sox
  • Patriots
  • Celtics
  • Bruins

Can you guess where I'm from?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OK, so I'm a season ticket holder at West Bromwich Albion who are a football team. I also follow the Worcestershire County Cricket Club and the Chicago Bears.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

@cynicalbuzzard: kind of sad but i guess it needed to be done. I think it would have been a mess trying to restore it and since Houston has so many other stadium venues i guess its not suprising. still from a legacy and historic point its a big bummer. I know its been hard to be a Saints fan for the history, but Brees and Payton changed the culture, but good for you not being a bandwagoner i know how La is lol.

I always hate it when historic stadiums/fields get demolished, I wish they could all be saved somehow but I can understand why some of them have to be demolished. My Ravens have not always been the best and this season has been a tough one for me and it is a shame that our state is full of bandwagoners,

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I dunno, Chicago fans are pretty diehard. The Blackhawks had a bunch of people jump on board, but they were bad for quite a while.

People here have 1 or 2 teams they're really into plus one of our baseball teams. Personally, my heirarchy goes Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Sox. Though the Sox were higher on the list in the Ozzie days.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wjb

Bandwagons never go away. Some people will always want to root for the winning team. I used to not get people liking random teams that had nothing to do with where they lived or once lived; I thought it was juvenile to be an adult and like a random team. It's one thing if you're a kid and you had a favorite player and always identified with that team because of that player or coach or city, but I felt that it was kind of dumb to do that as an adult. I kind of stopped caring, honestly.

I guess my interests in sports have dropped significantly in the past ten years. The only sport I watch or keep up with on a regular basis is baseball. I kind of don't like discussing sports either because I find most conversations about it one-dimensional and boring.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MocBucket62

To me the Chicago and Boston fans are extremely devoted to their teams. But yeah, when I was in Connecticut, I either had fans who seemed loyal to the local teams in New York or Boston or fair weather fans who liked the teams that were hot at the time. Florida might be worse, for while the diehard fans generally are for college sports like Florida State and Florida, everything else is fair weather and not a lot of Floridians give a crap about professional sports. Go talk to the city of Miami, which has empty seats for EVERY SPORT except for when the Heat play.

The teams I'm a fan of are:

• Florida State Seminoles Football
  • Auburn Tigers Football
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Tampa Bay Rays
  • Tampa Bay Lightning

Oh and for the LSU fans on this forum, being the FSU fan I am and with my brother going to Auburn, I sincerely hope you guys murder Bama on Saturday!

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of all NY sports teams, but when it comes to preferences or head-to-head match-ups it's:

• Yankees
  • Knicks
  • Rangers
  • Giants

I don't have any true hatred of other teams besides Boston, which is more of a respected rivalry. The 2004 ALCS still stings, though 2007 and 2011 Super Bowl made up for it. I can't say much about the 2013 Red Sox win; they were clearly the best team this year, so hats off to them.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#13  Edited By MightyDuck

Good blog post!

I've been a Blackhawks fan since I started playing ice hockey in 2nd grade. There were some very, very rough years between 2000-2007. Once they started getting "good" the bandwagoners jumped on making it near impossible to get tickets to a game without paying crazy amounts.

I'm also a huge Cubs fan...but highly don't they'll be doing much anytime soon. Theo may be on the hot seat pretty soon if nothing starts to change after this year.

Favorite teams overall...

• Blackhawks (NHL)
  • Maple Leafs (NHL)
  • Cubs (MLB)
  • Bears (NFL)
  • Penn State Nittany Lions (NCAA)
  • Notre Dame Fighting Irish (NCAA)
  • Bulls (NBA) ...I guess, haven't really watched the Bulls since the 90's with Jordan and Pippen
MaxMikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Baltimore Ravens fan. That takes precedent over all of my other sports allegiances because the team's successes have helped me through some tough stretches in my life. Until recently, I was also a moderator for their website and message board, so I had a personal stake in rooting for the team.

Beyond that, I'm an extremely casual hockey fan and root for the Chicago Blackhawks because Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane are two of my favorite players (honorable mention to Patrick Sharp and Brent Seabrook), and have a soft spot for the LA Kings.