Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Monte
   Also, Keith David is creepy as fuck...   
Requiem for a Dream - I get it, drugs are bad. That's pretty much the only thing that I think of when this movie comes up. The director claims the movie is not entirely about how addiction of drugs is harmful but addiction to ideas and things in general is. While I believe that he is true in his opinion, I don't think the movie shows it at all. The focus is all over the place and the themes aren't very strong. While the famous song is very epic and fits the tone of the movie well, I feel like it was played every ten minutes and had had enough by the end. The concept that the movie starts out pretty normal but slowly spirals down into chaos to reflect the abuse of the characters and the effects of the drugs themselves is great, but I don't find it executed well enough it to be particularly meaningful. It has a ton of style but not enough substance for it to resonate with me. 

Magnolia - The reason I don't care for Magnolia is because of its over the top rambling nature  that tries to convey the theme of the movie. It is very similar to Requiem in that it doesn't give the watcher any break or relief. All the stories seem like such a train wreck. Most of all however is that I, as a viewer didn't care. I did not find any reason to care about any of these characters or any of the plot points and how they play into each other.  The whole film is too high concept for its own good and I feel director Paul Thomas Anderson either did not have a clear cut enough vision of the final product or could not manage his ideas into a coherent single piece. Anderson's weakness as a director is that he is not good at striking any emotional points or crafting a strong enough theme to make you sit there and think. I believe this is also true of his much greater film There Will Be Blood, but that film has absolutely stunning cinematography and atmosphere, an amazing soundtrack and one of the best performances by an actor of all time in my opinion. 

You honestly deserve it Alex.
A Clockwork Orange - First let me say that I adore Stanley Kubrick as a director. The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Dr. Strangelove are all amazing pieces of film and 2001: A Space Odyssey is undoubtedly one of my top five favorite movies of all time. The reason I don't like A Clockwork Orange is not because I find it to be a poor product of film making. I have two problems with this movie. One is that I find the book to do a better job at pacing and a MUCH better job at humor. The second is that I think Alex is a terrible main character because he is not only an unlikable dick with no clear motivation but also a fucking bitch that wouldn't last a week in the real world. I get that he is supposed to love causing chaos and pain but he really seems to have absolutely no redeeming qualities to even make him interesting. He isn't some kind of victim of society or family either so why should I give a damn when he is being tortured. Am I supposed to think he is some kind of deep thinking character just because he likes classical music? The Joker in The Dark Knight is arguably a similar character but he was awesome because he always had an elaborate plan and could outsmart Batman, the police and the mob with minimal resources and really cool quirks. Alex just beats the shit out of hobos. This movie left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Slumdog Millionare - I realize I'm not the only one who feels this is overrated. The easiest piece of criticism to make about this movie is that if it were to take place in a western nation, nobody would have given a rat's ass about it. The movie hangs so much on its foreign setting. We've all seen the rags to riches story of a young man who proves himself  and rescues the attractive empty-shell-of-a-character girl done before, and much better. Audiences and critics loved it because it was so 'cultural'. If people weren't so pretentious maybe they would look over that fact and realize that the movie itself is kind of dumb. 

These guys actually do a better job of executing the themes than replicants.
Blade Runner - This is actually quite a good movie, but there is a reason I am acknowledging it in this blog. I really love Ghost in the Shell. The movie and the anime are both excellent pieces of science fiction with sublime themes and characters in my opinion. Ghost in the shell shares a lot of its themes with Blade Runner, like the line between a person and artificial intelligence, the definition of a soul, and the effects of technology on human morality. They both have a fair deal of religious symbolism as well. There is no doubt that Blade Runner is more original in these themes as it was released many years before GitS. But I only saw Blade Runner a year ago, after I had been an fan of Ghost in the Shell for quite some time, and I think GitS does a better job conveying its themes and making you think about them then Blade Runner. So, I don't think Blade Runner is a bad movie at all, it was just much less impactfull for me.  

Sorry if that was a bit long. What acclaimed movies did you not enjoy?
Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Monte
Requiem for a Dream - I get it, drugs are bad. That's pretty much the only thing that I think of when this movie comes up. The director claims the movie is not entirely about how addiction of drugs is harmful but addiction to ideas and things in general is. While I believe that he is true in his opinion, I don't think the movie shows it at all. The focus is all over the place and the themes aren't very strong. While the famous song is very epic and fits the tone of the movie well, I feel like it was played every ten minutes and had had enough by the end. The concept that the movie starts out pretty normal but slowly spirals down into chaos to reflect the abuse of the characters and the effects of the drugs themselves is great, but I don't find it executed well enough it to be particularly meaningful. It has a ton of style but not enough substance for it to resonate with me. 

Magnolia - The reason I don't care for Magnolia is because of its over the top rambling nature  that tries to convey the theme of the movie. It is very similar to Requiem in that it doesn't give the watcher any break or relief. All the stories seem like such a train wreck. Most of all however is that I, as a viewer didn't care. I did not find any reason to care about any of these characters or any of the plot points and how they play into each other.  The whole film is too high concept for its own good and I feel director Paul Thomas Anderson either did not have a clear cut enough vision of the final product or could not manage his ideas into a coherent single piece. Anderson's weakness as a director is that he is not good at striking any emotional points or crafting a strong enough theme to make you sit there and think. I believe this is also true of his much greater film There Will Be Blood, but that film has absolutely stunning cinematography and atmosphere, an amazing soundtrack and one of the best performances by an actor of all time in my opinion. 

A Clockwork Orange - First let me say that I adore Stanley Kubrick as a director. The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Dr. Strangelove are all amazing pieces of film and 2001: A Space Odyssey is undoubtedly one of my top five favorite movies of all time. The reason I don't like A Clockwork Orange is not because I find it to be a poor product of film making. I have two problems with this movie. One is that I find the book to do a better job at pacing and a MUCH better job at humor. The second is that I think Alex is a terrible main character because he is not only an unlikable dick with no clear motivation but also a fucking bitch that wouldn't last a week in the real world. I get that he is supposed to love causing chaos and pain but he really seems to have absolutely no redeeming qualities to even make him interesting. He isn't some kind of victim of society or family either so why should I give a damn when he is being tortured. Am I supposed to think he is some kind of deep thinking character just because he likes classical music? The Joker in The Dark Knight is arguably a similar character but he was awesome because he always had an elaborate plan and could outsmart Batman, the police and the mob with minimal resources and really cool quirks. Alex just beats the shit out of hobos. This movie left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Slumdog Millionare - I realize I'm not the only one who feels this is overrated. The easiest piece of criticism to make about this movie is that if it were to take place in a western nation, nobody would have given a rat's ass about it. The movie hangs so much on its foreign setting. We've all seen the rags to riches story of a young man who proves himself  and rescues the attractive empty-shell-of-a-character girl done before, and much better. Audiences and critics loved it because it was so 'cultural'. If people weren't so pretentious maybe they would look over that fact and realize that the movie itself is kind of dumb. 

Blade Runner - This is actually quite a good movie, but there is a reason I am acknowledging it in this blog. I really love Ghost in the Shell. The movie and the anime are both excellent pieces of science fiction with sublime themes and characters in my opinion. Ghost in the shell shares a lot of its themes with Blade Runner, like the line between a person and artificial intelligence, the definition of a soul, and the effects of technology on human morality. They both have a fair deal of religious symbolism as well. There is no doubt that Blade Runner is more original in these themes as it was released many years before GitS. But I only saw Blade Runner a year ago, after I had been an fan of Ghost in the Shell for quite some time, and I think GitS does a better job conveying its themes and making you think about them then Blade Runner. So, I don't think Blade Runner is a bad movie at all, it was just much less impactfull for me.  

Sorry if that was a bit long. What acclaimed movies did you not enjoy?
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I've seen  the Incredibles get a lot of praise, but it's one of my least favorite Pixar films.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Snipzor
@FancySoapsMan said:
" I've seen  the Incredibles get a lot of praise, but it's one of my least favorite Pixar films. "
Least favorite is relative, correct? I mean, it is Pixar we're talking about.
Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Monte
@Snipzor said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
" I've seen  the Incredibles get a lot of praise, but it's one of my least favorite Pixar films. "
Least favorite is relative, correct? I mean, it is Pixar we're talking about. "
I thought Cars was pretty 'meh'
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By donchipotle

Man I could go on and on about how you're wrong about A Clockwork Orange (one of my favorite movies ever), but I'm not that guy. To each their own.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Snipzor said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
Yeah, I can't say I didn't like it either.

As for Cars, I watched it in Portuguese, and didn't understand what was going on most of the time. I can't really form a solid opinion on it.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Snipzor
@monte said:
" @Snipzor said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
I thought Cars was pretty 'meh' "
True enough, I keep forgetting about it, I also forgive it because it had Paul Newman in it.
SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By SumDeus

First that come to my mind are Heat and Hot Fuzz.

Inception also, but in a different way. I liked the movie on a fun action/mindfuck movie watching level, but I didn't see the whole "HOLY SHIT THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING" thing.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

I disagree with you completely on slumdog millionaire. Not only do I think it would have been effective if it was in a western area - perhaps even moreso though a few slight changes would be required.. but I don't see what difference it makes anyway. So what if it being 'cultural' (ie in a different area) Is a mentionable part of it? why is that a negative? I mean, do you want every movie to take place in the same places and areas and never leave america? I doubt it. Why exactly is it a negative? I mean it just seems weird to me that a big part of the movies story was a run down area that hard a lot of hardship - and then you criticize it for showing a rundown area full of unique hardship. I can maybe see where you're coming from if you find it annoying if someone is all snubby and thinks he's better than you because he saw a movie that's "so cultured" but I have neither seen people acting like that nor would that be a negative against the movie anyway - it's a negative against a portion of its fans. I don't think it was dumb and even though I'm not a huge fan of Boyle (want to talk about overrated movies? How about Sunshine. Massive piece of shit) I really don't think the direction can be critiqued. I'm sorry but I really don't get that argument. Do you think LOTR is overrated because people just liked the setting? the setting was kind of the point.. but it was also still a good movie.

Also, my choice for "most overrated piece of shit" is Donnie Darko.  

Every movie that director made after that was an utter piece of shit, proving my stance when Donnie Darko came out that the movie wasn't any good. Any "symbolism" and "meaning" people were coming up with were just their own. The movie was a dumb, incredibly terrible movie and any greatness or even decency was self-created. Again, how terrible ALL of his following movies were is proof enough for me that it was entirely incompetent. 

but hey, bunnies. Dark.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe lord of the rings trilogy because i havent watched it since i was 8 or 9.  looking back i dont get why it got so many oscars.  but ill watch it again for my final word on it

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Sin4profit

yeah, i thought Requiem for a Dream was an eye roller. It's more like two movies though.  
The Ellen Burstyn part of the movie was great, the other part came across as an after school special with shock value.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DrBeardface

Now, is this thread about what critically acclaimed movies we don't like, or just "popular" movies we don't like?  I ask because I consider Donnie Darko a cult film; it has a strong following of fans, but not necessarily official praise. 
 Are we limiting the scope to what the masses as a whole have put forth as film masterpieces, or just some films our friends really like?

Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cereal_Killa
@monte: Keith knows it's pretty, but he didn't take it out for air....
hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By hollitz

There Will Be Blood was one of the most dull and unitneresting movies I've ever seen.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By Little_Socrates

People really like Tim Burton in general. I just don't like the style. Edward Scissorhands was really good, and he did an excellent job adapting Sweeney Todd (not that he did anything novel with it,) but most of his films range from "meh" to annoying. Alice in Wonderland has the saving grace of Johnny Depp's Scottish accent and creating the absurd word "futterwacken," but outside of the above I can't say I liked any of the movies. The Nightmare Before Christmas has kind of the Star Wars Episode II problem (albeit largely diminished) of having moments of good and a lot of really, really bad. The only moments I enjoy of Nightmare are those with Beau Bridges as Oogie Boogie; for some reason, those songs are also significantly better than the others, and his character was actually pretty enjoyable to watch. The rest is approaching obnoxious, partly due to its hype and partly due to the fact that the remaining songs are neither pleasant to listen to like some Disney songs or especially clever in their humor. Beetlejuice is kind of the epitome of everything that's wrong with Tim Burton films, but it isn't as exaggerated as it is in his Batman movies, Charlie, or in Corpse Bride, and Wynona Rider was pretty good in it too. I think enough has been criticized about the rest of his films in that style at this point. Most of his less problematic films (like Pee Wee's Big Adventure) I actually haven't seen, so I can't say I hate all of his works, but most of what I've seen goes from ridiculous to annoying. 

Also, I can't quite remember much of James & The Giant Peach (I was terrified of the rhino as a five year old and have promptly blocked out much of the film since) so I'm not referring to that film.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By kraznor

Yeah, kind of relate with Requiem, well-made to be sure but kind of obvious in its message. I'd say The Hurt Locker and Winter's Bone as well, thoroughly average films that got tons of awards attention for reasons I don't fully understand.

WhiskeyMcGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WhiskeyMcGhee

Ghost in the Shell over Blade Runner, really? I'm sorry, but annoying anime mascot's parroting sci-fi concepts that have been around for decades doesn't come across as better story telling! I know Blade Runner is kinda fucked up with all different cuts but it's hard to care about these anime's that rip-off western sci-fi when you've been immersed in the classics.  

NERD RAGE!!!

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I fucking can't stand Fight Club. I just don't get why everybody loves it. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Bruce
@monte:  

I have never enjoyed a Pixar film.  

Sure, there are other Oscar-worthy type films that I'm not fond of, however, Pixar stands out as the worst offender for me. Toy Story 3 was decent, but even that came across as a mediocre morality tale told with striking visuals and nothing else. That's my main issue with Pixar: they're too preachy (Wall-E's social commentary was too obvious and condescending), and often I found their attempts at modern satire to be meh at best. And to be fair, I've given most of their films a chance. Up, for example, was the one that came closest to giving me any sort of worthwhile experience...but that was only for the first fifteen minutes, you know, before the film turns into yet another cookiecutter story. 
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cnlmullen

I did  not like The Dark Knight. There's no real complex human emotion or drama that isn't explicitly spelled out to the watcher. I just thought it was dry.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By landon
Yeah, I didn't like Slumdog either. I watched about an hour of it before I got really bored. Movie is super overrated.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Tireyo

Moonstruck and Brokeback Mountain. Blech.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch3burashka

@Everyone: you're wrong. 

What's that movie about people who have jewels in their hands, and are terminated at age 30? And the guy goes outside the city and "discovers" an ancient dead civilization (aka ours)? And then he frees everybody and it's happily ever after? Yeah, that movie sucks.