Actors get more recognition than movie directors?

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dr_nefarious

Is it me or does it seem that actors get more recognition for movies rather than the people who made the movies? (directors, producers, ect..)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@dr_nefarious said:
" Is it me or does it seem that actors get more recognition for movies rather than the people who made the movies? (directors, producers, ect..) "
They're the visible ones, so its a given that most people would give them props over a name in the credits. 

...not that I agree with this, but still.
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Actors make a name for themselves in public while the producers and directors have their fame within their profession. 
A person who becomes a director rarely care too much about fame in media aside from "Director's Digest" or whatever magazine they have.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sayishere

They all deserve credit, but you cant have one without the other

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You list directors and producers as the main people who don't get enough recognition, but they're the two most recognized people in the movie business apart from actors. Directors especially get tonnes of credit. The big, popular directors often get more recognition than actors in their films, and the not so big ones are still pretty well recognized. The people who don't get enough recognition are people like screenwriters. Screenwriters have the most important job of all, they write the goddamn movie. If it wasn't for them, the directors, actors, producers and everyone else wouldn't have a movie to make. Yet they get virtually no recognition. 

But, the actors are in front of the camera. They are going to be the stars, that's the way things work.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By wunder_
@MattyFTM said:
"The people who don't get enough recognition are people like screenwriters."
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, Roland Emmerich, James Cameron, Joel Schumacher, etc.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By PatriotsAreGod

Maybe because actors are the ones in front of the camera?

Jesus, this forum can be so stupid at times.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By armaan8014
@MattyFTM: I thought directors did the work of creating the story. Is that done by screenwriters?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iam3green

it's because they are the ones that are being shown. in the industry they get recognition where they deserve it. it's just normal people that don't see them as that.

Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PediatricUrology

I've never seen a movie and gone "ew, that's some horrible directing." I've probably seen horrible directing, but I don't know the difference. The only things I really notice are acting and, to a lesser extent, writing.
I'm so shallow :|

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Generally yes, but it's not like every director is an unknown.

Who would the public know more: the person they see on the screen for an hour, or the person whose name appears once at the beginning and end of the movie?

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fraser
@armaan8014 said:
" @MattyFTM: I thought directors did the work of creating the story. Is that done by screenwriters? "
I think the screenwriters write the dialogue and narrative structure in most cases. Sometimes the outline of the "story" might be written by someone else and then the dialogue written by the screenwriter, and sometimes the screenwriter's script will be mostly dialogue so the director/other production crew have more freedom. The directors just realise that narrative action in visual terms. Though a lot of famous directors are famous because they write the script as well so it all looks like the work of one genius. (I'm pretty against the single genius thing though)

I think it's quite interesting that some screenwriters like Charlie Kaufman can be as prominent (or moreso) than the directors on certain productions.
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InternetCrab

Yeah, for most of the time the actors does get more credit than the directors. But in Star Wars George Lucas got the most credit though :) 

But on a serious note, they often get more credit than the people who direct it.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By swamplord666

I don't know... I look at the director before I look at the headlining actors when looking at a new film. Sometimes all I need is the name of the director for me to be excited. For example I'm very much looking forward to the next Chris Nolan film :D

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
@PatriotsAreGod said:
" Maybe because actors are the ones in front of the camera?  Jesus, this forum can be so stupid at times. "
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates
@fraser said:
" @armaan8014 said:
" @MattyFTM: I thought directors did the work of creating the story. Is that done by screenwriters? "
I think the screenwriters write the dialogue and narrative structure in most cases. Sometimes the outline of the "story" might be written by someone else and then the dialogue written by the screenwriter, and sometimes the screenwriter's script will be mostly dialogue so the director/other production crew have more freedom. The directors just realise that narrative action in visual terms. Though a lot of famous directors are famous because they write the script as well so it all looks like the work of one genius. (I'm pretty against the single genius thing though) I think it's quite interesting that some screenwriters like Charlie Kaufman can be as prominent (or moreso) than the directors on certain productions. "
Don't forget the directors also tell the actors how they want them to deliver their lines and organize the sonic design for the movie. Directors have most of the creative control of how the material they have is performed. Some directors are power-creatives that also create the story, but they RARELY write the scripts entirely on their own. 

But directors most certainly take the script (usually written by someone else) and bring it to life. Sometimes they're involved in the initial creative stages (a la Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino) and sometimes they're not (a la David Fincher.)
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fraser
@Little_Socrates:  Yeh totally. I suppose I've just become pretty jaded and anti-auteur recently.

I think "good direction" is far more problematic to discuss than "good acting" because of how vague an area it is. I've always loved the editing in Jaws and always credited Speilberg as the creative talent behind that, but last year I was told by a bunch of people that he had little to do on the film outside of on-site direction, that he was more of a production-line director a-la Classic Hollywood.

I tend to be quite flippant with my views though so maybe next year I'll be all for praising directors and all that!
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Wunder_ said:
" @MattyFTM said:
"The people who don't get enough recognition are people like screenwriters."
"
So very true. I'm actually going into all aspects of film. Directing, Producing, Screenwriting, cinematography.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dr_nefarious

I guess what I really meant when making this thread was do directors get recognized more so than actors at events like the Oscars for example?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Cameron

The casual movie going public has no idea who directors are. That's why for movies like Inception they put 'from the director of The Dark Knight' in the advertising rather than 'a Christopher Nolan film.' There are a few exceptions, everyone knows Spielberg (and maybe Nolan is a bad example, as I feel people are starting to know him), but try asking a casual movie goer what their favorite Aronofsky film is.

Also, actors are pretty and people pay attention to pretty things.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time allen

most who work in film don't do it for the recognition so i'm sure they're perfectly content doing something they love for a living.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Cameron said:
" The casual movie going public has no idea who directors are. That's why for movies like Inception they put 'from the director of The Dark Knight' in the advertising rather than 'a Christopher Nolan film.' There are a few exceptions, everyone knows Spielberg (and maybe Nolan is a bad example, as I feel people are starting to know him), but try asking a casual movie goer what their favorite Aronofsky film is.  Also, actors are pretty and people pay attention to pretty things. "
QFT
@Toms115 said:
" most who work in film don't do it for the recognition so i'm sure they're perfectly content doing something they love for a living. "
There is some truth to that. Although If I were a director and poured my heart and soul into a film then I believe I should be damn well recognized for it.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I love movies,perhaps even more than video games. And i have to say the guy who gets f***ed the most is the screenwriter, the most important aspect in movies,as in games imo is the story.
And hell,if you ask me now, i couldn't tell you who wrote some of the greatest movies in history,but i can name the directors and actors who are recognized as the best. 
The good directors ARE known and respected and (depending on the director) loved by anyone who considers himself an even a bit above average movie fan.
The vast majority of people however not so much.
And yet, for truly good/great movies i think that the directors are most responsible .

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't think so.  The first and last thing you usually see on credits is the director's name.  

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen
@dr_nefarious said:
" @Cameron said:
" The casual movie going public has no idea who directors are. That's why for movies like Inception they put 'from the director of The Dark Knight' in the advertising rather than 'a Christopher Nolan film.' There are a few exceptions, everyone knows Spielberg (and maybe Nolan is a bad example, as I feel people are starting to know him), but try asking a casual movie goer what their favorite Aronofsky film is.  Also, actors are pretty and people pay attention to pretty things. "
QFT
@Toms115 said:
" most who work in film don't do it for the recognition so i'm sure they're perfectly content doing something they love for a living. "
There is some truth to that. Although If I were a director and poured my heart and soul into a film then I believe I should be damn well recognized for it. "
why would you care? is doing something you love not good enough, or do you really crave praise that much?