#1 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

I was just wondering cause I actually enjoy their acting escapades, even if the most I've ever watched is "Knock Off in 10 minutes" and a bunch of dumb clips.

Oh yeah I watched Mercenary for Justice, oh MAN!!

so YEAH help a duder out, (I shall hear no mention of that guy from starship troopers.)

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, any number of professional wrestlers trying to act

#3 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Steven Seagal or Van Damme don't go in the same sentence as the word acting unless it contains the phrase 'is a terrible' in front of it.

Anyways, No Holds Barred just came out on DVD, so go check that out. Its a campy action movie with terrible acting (I mean Hulk Hogan IS the main character) that is fun to make fun of it because it actually took it seriously.

#4 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Steven Seagal or Van Damme don't go in the same sentence as the word acting unless it contains the phrase 'is a terrible' in front of it.

Anyways, No Holds Barred just came out on DVD, so go check that out. Its a campy action movie with terrible acting (I mean Hulk Hogan IS the main character) that is fun to make fun of it because it actually took it seriously.

Steven Seagal is a terrible acting?

If you want some prime Seagal I'd suggest watching stuff like Under Seige, Out for Justice and Hard to Kill if you want his legitimately good stuff. I'm not as familiar with JCVD but Sudden Death is pretty good. Similar but inferior actors are probably Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, Jackie Chan and I guess the modern equivalent would be Jason Statham.

#5 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

For JCVD in his prime, see Blood Sport and Kickboxer.

#6 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Steven Seagal is a terrible acting?

Oh god damnit

Also checkout Wrong Side of Town. It has Batista and Rob Van Dam (no relation) the wrestlers. Its a terrible movie all around, even the action is abysmal, but the active is still laughable enough to watch.

You can also watch some of Stone Cold's movies too, most specifically The Condemned.

#7 Edited by PenguinDust (12569 posts) -
#8 Posted by NTM (7492 posts) -

Not that Van Damme isn't great, but he's much better than Segal. I think Segal is one of the top worst actors I've ever seen, and I know a lot. Even in his best films some of the stuff he does is just so hilarious. Also, he looks like a diaper. It's weird.

#9 Posted by MaxxS (204 posts) -

From what I've heard, the movie JCVD is legitimately good.

#10 Edited by stinky (1551 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Jeff Speakman springs to mind.

thank you, saved me hours on google trying to remember his name.

he went out pretty fast, but they wanted to make this guy another van damme.

to add, Schwarzenegger's Commando is along the same lines.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11335 posts) -

The cast of the Expendables movies.

#12 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

Sonny Chiba

#13 Posted by DudeSupreme (212 posts) -

Nowadays, Jason Statham.

#14 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@TheJohn said:

No Cyborg? I used to love that movie, as terrible as it was lol

#15 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3890 posts) -

What a crazy idea for a thread.

My favorite Van Damme is Sudden Death because it's so dumb. Same with Hard to Kill for Seagal. The training/recuperation scene in Hard to Kill get me every time.

#16 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -
#17 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads:

lol That was pretty good. I never got into Seagal since I started taking Aikido as a pre-teen and he wasn't looked upon as a very beneficial asset to the philosophy. I did like him in the jet infiltration scene in Executive Decision, though. Some of his best acting ever. ;)

#18 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@TheJohn said:

The Quest is a cool movie like a Tekken Tournament movie.

#19 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Something about Steven Seagals face makes me want to punch it to a pulp

#20 Posted by thomasnash (579 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: My favourite thing about this scene is the way it stops half-way through for a sex scene...and then goes back into a training montage.

The sex-scene is barely signalled by the movie either. I mean, obviously you know it's coming because that's how films work, but they normally do a little bit more to show that the people might have some kind of attraction to each other, apart from creeping on the coma patient.

PS Universal Soldier

#21 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@TheJohn said:

No Cyborg? I used to love that movie, as terrible as it was lol

Yeah, Cyborg was pretty good, wasn't it? Not Kickboxer punching-the-fuck-outta-people-with-broken-glass-on-his-knuckles kinda good, but still good.

#22 Posted by moffattron9000 (356 posts) -

Reb Brown springs to mind

Also a fair share of his movies got stuck on youtube.

#23 Edited by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@ItBeStefYo: I must ask, have you read Vern's, I guess, manifesto on the seagal as a whole and his development as a person throughout his filmography? If not I highly suggest you do, it's beyond fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagalogy-Study-Ass-Kicking-Steven-Seagal/dp/1845769279

Fuck yes, I'm currently reading through this for the second time. Genuinely one of my favourite books.

#24 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

Reb Brown springs to mind

Also a fair share of his movies got stuck on youtube.

"HAAA. HAAA."

Boy, that acting is real special.

#25 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Those two are my least favorite action movie stars. I freaking hate them and their movies.

#26 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I'd add Wesley Snipes to the list, though he has been in some legitimatly good movies and definitely has more versatility then Steven Seagal and JCVD.

#27 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3890 posts) -

@thomasnash said:

@ArtisanBreads: My favourite thing about this scene is the way it stops half-way through for a sex scene...and then goes back into a training montage.

The sex-scene is barely signalled by the movie either. I mean, obviously you know it's coming because that's how films work, but they normally do a little bit more to show that the people might have some kind of attraction to each other, apart from creeping on the coma patient.

PS Universal Soldier

haha yeah seriously what a creep that girl is.

Also I love Seagal's crazy fake beard he has in the coma.

#28 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@LD50 said:

Sonny Chiba

Isnt he one of the rappers in Camp Lo?

#29 Posted by BradBrains (1088 posts) -

Kirk Cameron

#30 Edited by uniform (1836 posts) -

There's no one like JCVD.

#31 Posted by Dixego (386 posts) -

If you're looking for a good time filled with broken arms, Taken with Liam Neeson should suffice. Look it up.

#32 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -
#33 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -
#34 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -
#35 Posted by Undeadpool (4963 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: Brandon Lee (besides The Crow) was pretty much known as a B-level action star. If you want the hilarious jokes taken care of for you, check this out.

#36 Posted by thornie (175 posts) -

Marked for Death is easily the best Seagal movie. 90 mins of Keith David and Seagal laying waste to voodoo worshipping, drug trafficking Jamaicans.

#37 Posted by MonetaryDread (2083 posts) -

I can't believe that nobody remembers Michael Dudikoff. The American Ninja series has always been one of the greatest bad movie series of all time.

#38 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@RandomHero666 said:

Something about Steven Seagals face makes me want to punch it to a pulp

You would fail at that task sir, miserably.

#39 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -