#1 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

Snacking and gaming. Two things that go together like roasted red peppers and every sandwich I ever make. We all do it. You're sitting there playing an extended session of Civ or Skyrim or whatever and suddenly you get the uncontrollable urge to waddle to the kitchen and see what riches may be in store. You open the fridge and see a tupperware container that you don't remember ever even owning with some unidentifiable sludge inside it just chilling in the back right corner. You see some hot dogs perhaps, or if you're lucky even a couple slices of (mostly) fresh pizza in a ziploc bag on top of a half empty sleeve of bacon.

Nah I don't want to go through a whole ritual to make my snack and I'm really just looking for something quick and easy. You open the cupboard in search of further options when you spy a bag of Cheetos sitting smugly between a jar of peanut butter and a small bag of flour you bought a while ago with the noble goal of making cookies.

Perfect. Cheetos! That cheesy MSG-filled snack. Then it occurs to you: "If I pour out a bowl of these and start tearing into them I will invariably get cheesy dust all over my keyboard/controller" What do you do?

I found an answer to this not long ago. I rummaged through my cutlery drawer and found a small two pronged fork that I never used for anything else. Now I sit happily at my desk with a bowl of cheetos and my cheeto fork and allow my hunger to be satiated and my keyboard to remain (mostly) pristine.

So my question to all of you is have you found yourself adapting how you snack or what you snack on in order to have it be compatible with how you game? Have you been changing your taste in snacks to accommodate? For instance I've become a fan of sunflower seeds because all I need is the bag and a bowl for the empty seeds. No fork required.

Just a query from a bored guy.

#2 Posted by Paliv (135 posts) -

I have done similar things. Sometimes I put jelly beans or chips in a cup I can tilt back and snack...just don't tilt too far. As a neat freak I hate getting
Electronics dirty, but no one wants the fuzzy orange controller.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

I usually just take a break long enough to eat whatever it is I'm going to eat. I know, I'm weird.

#4 Posted by JackSukeru (5917 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I usually just take a break long enough to eat whatever it is I'm going to eat. I know, I'm weird.

Not weird, just inefficient!

#5 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

I actually very rarely eat while gaming.

But I often drink can after can of beer. Which could be considered a snack, to some alcoholics.

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I don't snack when gaming. I snack only when bored. Super duper bored.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7460 posts) -

MUUUUUUUUUUUURM! GET ME MA CHEETO FURK!

#8 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Yup, me too. I need both my hands to game, dammit. I'll usually take a break and watch TV while I eat.

#9 Posted by Th3irdEye (260 posts) -

My gaming snack of choice is goldfish. They aren't really all that messy and satisfy my salty/crunchy cravings. I usually just grab a handful during downtime in a game, such as when I die. Asura's Wrath was messing me up though because I kept forgetting that I may have to hit a button during the cut scenes. So I would have to scramble to press Y or whatever when I was engaged with my goldfish.

#10 Posted by 49th (2766 posts) -

When I need to eat something with my hands I will just put my face in the bowl and scoop it up with my tongue.

#11 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I never snack and game. I do however beverage and game.

#12 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I don't eat and play anymore. If anything I'll have a coffee or a beer.

#13 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

MUUUUUUUUUUUURM! GET ME MA CHEETO FURK!

It's more of an "UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH!" than a "MUUUUUUUUUUURM"

#14 Posted by Malarkain (105 posts) -

@49th said:

When I need to eat something with my hands I will just put my face in the bowl and scoop it up with my tongue.

Yep, this.

#15 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

The only activity that should be paired with eating is pooping, as they are both opposite ends of a cycle necessary for life. I refuse to accept that one might play video games while sustaining themselves upon questionable food stuff.

#16 Posted by Morriana (11 posts) -

I almost rarely eat any snacks while playing games but I do guzzle down massive amounts of liquid when I play, almost...unconsciously. It's mostly soda or juice, but I find myself rarely being able to play any game without that lingering thirst feeling taunting me.

#17 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

The only activity that should be paired with eating is pooping, as they are both opposite ends of a cycle necessary for life. I refuse to accept that one might play video games while sustaining themselves upon questionable food stuff.

With a proper length tube and some duct tape, you can combine the two activities.

#18 Posted by Roflwaffles (184 posts) -

I thought I was the only one who ate cheese puffs with a fork (not really, but I didn't expect so many others to do the same).

#19 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

i got pistachios a few days ago, and im eating them all the time (i love pistachios), but trying to balance the controller on your lap and breaking open the pistachio shell can get quite difficult.

#20 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

@ManU_Fan10ne: Red or white pistachios? Red ones taste better somehow but everyone will know you ate a shitload of pistachios for days afterward.

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i try not to eat when i play games. i hate getting crumbs and things all over everywhere. i'll pause the game, eat and then go back to the game.

#22 Posted by mosespippy (4210 posts) -

If I'm getting deep into the competitive scene for a game then I will eat brain foods like tuna, salmon or rice and I'll stay away from sweets and breads. If I'm playing a Final Fantasy game I will order a pizza and get a 2L root beer. If I get a pint of beer I'll likely end up playing something with driving like Burnout or GTA.

#23 Posted by RecSpec (3829 posts) -

I usually do trail mix or something similar when I'm playing games. 

#24 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@SockemJetpack: white, i think.

#25 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I rarely eat in my room, and if I do I try to avoid my computer.

#26 Posted by Purpz (81 posts) -

I just have my butler feed me child tears while playing. No need to move at all!