#1 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

#2 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Looking at this topic on Advent Calendars started by

What do you guys think? How was it done in your family?

#3 Posted by TheHT (11253 posts) -

I'm assuming an advent calendar is a calendar that just goes up to christmas? So whether you're counting down to christmas with it or not, it's still a calendar, so the date goes up.

I guess you could have a countdown calendar though... but I don't know if I'd call that a calendar. This is all nonsense.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Its why there called Advent Calendars and not Advent Countdowns, it's also why the biggest piece of chocolate can usually be found on number 25.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i dunno some jackass always opens more days to get at the chocolate.

its usually me.

#6 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Calender.

#7 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Compass because it's only a matter of time before they are all gone.... Oh wait, thats a clock.

#8 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -

I dunno, I ate them all already. I'm THAT asshole

#9 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

100% of people agree that it is a calendar. 1 to 24. Although a countdown sounds neat, it's a calendar.

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -
#11 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

These results are even better than I could have hoped. I can't believe there is no one so far who thinks my wife's backwards tradition is normal. I'm not even going say anything to her, I'll just quietly send her a link...

#12 Posted by LauraH01 (1 posts) -

I am Kerned's wife and I made an account specifically to make my case! I cannot believe everyone is on his side.

This is the calendar in question (1987, Avon).

If it were a standard calendar, it should be in the standard monthly calendar format. There is no month label, and the "weeks" are 6 days. This just is a series of numbers you use to count down from Dec. 1.

As you count down, the mouse moves physically toward Santa and Mrs. Claus, which I think further proves my point.

Anyway, bottom line is - I've been using this to count down to Christmas since I was 3, so I'm not changing anytime soon. But I cannot believe my family is the only one that does this!

#13 Edited by artofwar420 (6289 posts) -

@LauraH01: I get what you're saying. Even if you start at 1 or 24, you're really counting down to the 24th. So it's all the same really.

#14 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I've never had an Advent calendar. It seems like a weird tradition.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

I've never had an Advent calendar. It seems like a weird tradition.

yeah, but it's a weird tradition that involves chocolate.

#16 Posted by 49th (2757 posts) -

Your wife is wrong, you are clearly supposed to count from 1.

#17 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I didn't buy one this year.

I'm free.

#18 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Animasta: Her calendar doesn't even have chocolate. It has a stupid plush mouse (see the image she posted). She's doing it backwards and there is no chocolate. It'a a nightmare.

#19 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@Animasta: Her calendar doesn't even have chocolate. It has a stupid plush mouse (see the image she posted). She's doing it backwards and there is no chocolate. It'a a nightmare.

Duder, count your blessings. If I talked about my old lady on the Internet with a bunch of random guys in their 20-somethings, she'd kick my ass.

#20 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

@Kerned said:

Duder, count your blessings. If I talked about my old lady on the Internet with a bunch of random guys in their 20-somethings, she'd kick my ass.

Hahahaha, believe me I know I'm a lucky guy. This is a totally good-humored debate between her and I, don't take any of my snark seriously. Also, I think it's fucking hilarious that she signed up for an account just to defend her position. My wife is officially a duder now.