• 66 results
#1 Posted by Chocobodude3 (644 posts) -

NO TWIST JOKES 

Here is the trailer for the new Shyamalan movie. Now before you dismiss it as crap let me give you one fact. Gary Whitta co wrote this movie. 
#2 Edited by Sgtpierceface (648 posts) -

I'd probably post this in Off-topic.

EDIT: The guy below me sucks.

#3 Edited by UitDeToekomst (750 posts) -

I like Gary and all, but him having co-written a screenplay doesn't guarantee that it will be a good movie. He was partly responsible The Walking Dead, and i think that game is shit.

@Sgtpierceface said:

I'd probably post this in Off-topic.

EDIT: The guy below me sucks.

EDIT: The guy above me is tolerant of the opinions of others and makes posts that are relevant and add to the conversation.

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4894 posts) -

@UitDeToekomst said:

I like Gary and all, but him having co-written a screenplay doesn't guarantee that it will be a good movie. He was partly responsible The Walking Dead, and i think that game is shit.

Also Book of Eli, and that was a contrived p.o.s.

#5 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Gary sure likes his post apocalypse stuff.

#6 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

That can't be Earth. Where's the Statue of Liberty!?

This is future Earth

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4498 posts) -

Gary can talk nice about Shyamalan all he wants but that still doesn't mean that his recent track record hasn't been shit. With that said I'll probably go ahead and see this cuz it seems better than his recent work and I'll keep the expectation of a shit twist so I won't be disappointed when/if it happens.

I hope someone wakes up from an Animus at the end.

#8 Posted by TheHT (11819 posts) -

the twist is it's actually before earth.

doesn't have to make sense.

looks alright!

#9 Posted by myketuna (1759 posts) -

@TheHT said:

doesn't have to make sense.

looks alright!

I was thinking this as soon as I saw the jungle and volcanoes.

#10 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

The twist is that this takes place in the Tokyo Jungle universe

#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12640 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I saw an episode of the Twilight Zone similar to this. Maybe Outer Limits.

#12 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

I really liked Gary Witta and Will Smith (the one from the movies, the one from Tested not so much), I have nothing against Shyamalan the last of his movies that I saw was The Village, which I found to be just fine. I have not seen the ones people say are really terrible.

But I really despise Will Smith's son (Jaden? Jared? Jason?) so I don't know if I'm going to watch this.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (5365 posts) -

Gary Whitta also wrote Episode 4 of the Walking Dead and that sucked so that doesn't hold any weight for me anymore. Also Book of Eli was mediocre, there I said it.

#14 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@UitDeToekomst said:

Also Book of Eli, and that was a contrived p.o.s.

Yeah, Whitta isn't exactly the best selling point, based on his record.

#15 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

Why does Will Smith have a strange accent? Anyway it looks neat. I like how they realized putting "a film by M. Night Shyamalan" probably hurts the movie more than it helps it. But hey I'll see it. I like Sci Fi and I like Mr. Smith. Just set expectations accordingly.

#16 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

360p eh?

#17 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

I hope this is good. Gary is cool, and I like Will Smith in some stuff. However I think after the horrible The Last Airbender adaptation and The Happening, Shyamalan is almost a joke.

Also I know that the only reason that Jayden Smith is in this is because of his dad (that's fine, it's most likely Will Smith's call here and who doesn't want their kid to do well) but I feel he's being presented as "Hey look its Will Smith's kid!" compared to a Donald Glover whose talent gets him as much work as his name (if not more). Still everything deserves a chance and this one will get it.

The trailer actually doesn't look terrible, and I hope for Gary's sake the movie is good.

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

Ya know, I think it looks pretty good. I mean, it doesn't look like a game-changer or anything, but I'll see it.

#19 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

Twist is, it's actually planet Bob.

Also I like Will Smith, but he is no Will Smith.

#20 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

TitanAE?

@JackSukeru said:

#21 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: Naturally ; )

#22 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

1:34

Did I see Reapers? I'm pretty sure I just saw Reapers.

#23 Posted by Mystyr_E (1197 posts) -

as far as "post apocalypse" movies like World War Z and Oblivion, this looks really meh

#24 Posted by SAC (117 posts) -

i really don't like Will Smith and his offspring so i'm going to throw this in the crap pile.

#25 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@SAC said:

his offspring

Probably the only actor more worthy of hate than that transformers kid; ya hating actors is stupid, but fuck this kid and his shitty acting.

#26 Posted by EuanDewar (5103 posts) -

Nice to see Will Smith make his motion picture debut

#27 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The Road 2?

Looks pretty good and looks nothing like a M. Night movie, there has to be some dumb ass twist at the end.

#28 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4498 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

Also I like Will Smith, but he is no Will Smith.

That's the twist.

#29 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@SAC said:

i really don't like Will Smith and his offspring so i'm going to throw this in the crap pile.

How is it possible to not like Will Smith,

#30 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

@JackSukeru: awesome.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

I'm interested. It looks like some good sci-fi, and right now, 2013 seems to be shaping up for some damn fine sci-fi between this, Oblivion, and Star Trek Into Darkness. YAY FOR NERDS!

I will share in my general dislike for Jaden Smith, though. I think a lot of that just has to do with his character in the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still being a FUCKING DOUCHE, though. As for M. Night, I'm always willing to give the guy a chance.

#32 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

Looks ok.

Twist is the Queen is Kim Kardashian.

#33 Posted by beeftothetaco (426 posts) -

@TheHT said:

Boom

#34 Posted by Zuldim (287 posts) -

I'd personally rather M. Night Shymalan just work on that Devil sequel. That movie is amazing. Not good, pretty terrible, in fact, but amazing.

#35 Posted by Aaron_G (1617 posts) -

I hope it is descent, for Gary's sake.

#36 Posted by Zacagawea (1616 posts) -

I was too busy testing my high school French knowledge to watch what was going on.

#37 Posted by yinstarrunner (1243 posts) -

@TheHT said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's either that or something stupid like it all being a simulation or something. I know because I've also had these ideas for stories, before I realized they were actually terrible. Sounds right up M. Night's alley.

This movie looks bad.

#38 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

I love Will Smith so I'll see this at some point.

#39 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

All the good twist jokes are taken. Shit.

#40 Posted by Andorski (5366 posts) -

Don't worry if you aren't a fan of Whitta's writing. His screenplay got a treatment from the director, M. Night Shama-llama-dingdong. I'm sure it will be fine.

#41 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

WELCOME TO EARF.

#42 Posted by believer258 (12208 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

Give this man a solid gold medal.

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@Andorski

Don't worry if you aren't a fan of Whitta's writing. His screenplay got a treatment from the director, M. Night Shama-llama-dingdong. I'm sure it will be fine.

Whitta is far better than M. Night Shablahblah. Anyone who's seen The Last Airbender or The Happening or Devil will tell you that.
#44 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

@TheHT said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's either that or something stupid like it all being a simulation or something. I know because I've also had these ideas for stories, before I realized they were actually terrible. Sounds right up M. Night's alley.

This movie looks bad.

Yeah, I thought it was either of these things. The simulation possibility really clicked when Will Smith was talking about how fear is just created by your mind, as in the simulation constructs whatever the boy is afraid of to test him.

I still have hope for Gravity, Oblivion, Elysium, and Star Trek though.

#45 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Andorski

Whitta is far better than M. Night Shablahblah. Anyone who's seen The Last Airbender or The Happening or Devil will tell you that.

And yet Whitta never made Signs, The Sixth Sense, or Unbreakable.

#46 Posted by Hyperglide (152 posts) -

It's good to see daddy is still getting his son work. Also I didn't realize Will Smith wanted to do his own version of Tom Cruises Oblivion.

#47 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

It seems fine. I'm worried that I know exactly how the story is going to go and how it will end. And the Earth thing was fucking dumb.

#48 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@FengShuiGod

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Andorski

And yet Whitta never made Signs, The Sixth Sense, or Unbreakable.

Cool. Those are good movies. But the most recent one is ten years old. Doesn't change the fact that since then, M. Night has been shoveling out shit movies. And Whitta has a single film under his belt that I found to be pretty decent. I'd give Whitta my money over M. Night any day. And that's saying something because I fucking love The Sixth Sense.
#49 Posted by andrew2696 (358 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: Donald Glover is in no way related to Danny Glover if that's what you're implying.

#50 Posted by wrecks (2319 posts) -

I dig Sci-Fi, I like Gary Whitta. I'll give it a go.