• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ohgawd (15 posts) -

Al Bundy is the iconic bad father from the 1980s - 1990s on the hit show Married...with Children. Dan Conner is the iconic good father from the 1980s - 1990s on the hit show Roseanne. Both played fathers of dysfunctional families, both played high school football, both had neighbors that didn't like them, both lived in below average houses, both struggled with work (Al Bundy was a women's shoe salesman and Dan Conner switched back and forth between drywalling, running a bike shop that went out of business, working for the city as a mechanic, and doing other odd jobs for a little bit of cash), and both are also bigger than average guys who also had a penchant for barroom brawls.

So five questions:

1) Which is the more iconic sitcom father from the 1980s - 1990s?

2) Which was on the better show?

3) Who'd win in a fight?

4) Who had to struggle more in life between the two?

5) Which character do you like more?

#2 Posted by bslayer (222 posts) -

1.Al Bundy

2.Neither

3.Dan Conner (obviously)

4.Dan

5.Neither

#3 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

Just a heads up ... here in GB people aren´t very fond of VS threads .... so be weary of all the backlash you will get ; Al Bundy to all

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

How about "the laugh track on both of these shows makes me want to blow my goddamn brains out"

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Al Bundy wins all the categories. It should also be noted that Ed O'Neil is a legitimate black belt. As awesome as John Goodman is... Al Bundy still remains the king of TV dads.

#6 Edited by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

1. Al

2. Dan

3. Dan

4. Al

5. Dan

Dan was a badass. When he loses his shit, I actually shrink back a bit.

Looking back at it, that show was actually kind of brilliant. Line-to-line, it was a solid sitcom at best and insufferable at worst, but overall, the concept was great. I liked Married With Children, but I always found it horribly depressing.

... Also, this thread is a little weird for a first post. I approve.

#7 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

How about "the laugh track on both of these shows makes me want to blow my goddamn brains out"

Married with Children did not use a laugh track. It had a live audience, and the GREATEST AUDIENCE IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION.

#8 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

Al Bundy to all. He scored 4 touchdowns in 1 game you know.

#9 Posted by Portis (1286 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Hahahaha :D

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4673 posts) -

Married With Children was a brilliant satire, while Roseanne was a brilliant look at middle-class families. I liked Married With Children for the sarcastic humour and satire, but Roseanne resonated with me (as it did a fuck-ton of a lot of people) because it felt more real and more personal.

Also, Dan is a champion. So he wins all categories.

#11 Edited by PenguinDust (12484 posts) -

I'm going to say Al Bundy because I believe Dan Conner is dead.

Oh and most iconic sitcom father from 1980's - 1990's is Homer Simpson.

#12 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Abed Nadir

#13 Posted by Ohgawd (15 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Al Bundy to all. He scored 4 touchdowns in 1 game you know.

But Dan Conner had to live with and sleep with Roseanne 0_0

An impressive feat.

#14 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Oh no, a versus thread. I hope this forum isn't going to turn into AnimeVice.

#15 Posted by Landon (4134 posts) -

I never seen a single episode of Married with Children, but I've seen all of Roseanne and Dan was an awesome father so I'll go with that guy.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Roseanne is incredible, I didn't get it when it was on because I was like, 6 years old, but watching it now it's pretty amazing.

#17 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4966 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Oh no, a versus thread. I hope this forum isn't going to turn into AnimeVice.

This is just one thread, don't freak out. A lot of bad shit have to happen to the Forums to turn into AV.

#18 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

THE REAL QUESTION IS: WHO WEARS THAT RED AND BLUE FLANNEL SHIRT BETTER?

#19 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

John Goodman.

That is all.

#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

1) Al.

2) Al.

3) John has the build and muscle.

4) While I want to say al, Johns character had to sleep with Roseanne so I think that means he wins. Or should I say lose. Peggy was/is a MILF. Always kind of broke the logic of that show for me when he never wanted to have sex with her.

5) Al.

#21 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Al Bundy.

From his crusades in NO'MAAM against the obese females, to scoring 4 touchdowns in one game, taming the wild red beast, and his battles at the nudie bar.

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

@TheGreatGuero said:

@TooWalrus said:

Married with Children did not use a laugh track. It had a live audience, and the GREATEST AUDIENCE IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION.

There definitely are episodes of Married....with Children that have a laugh track (really early stuff), but the vast majority was that hooting and hollering masterpiece of a crowd. Also, I've learned that you just have to ignore these young folk who don't like laugh tracks. They just don't understand the true classics of sitcom (like M with C).

#23 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Definitely Al Bundy.

#24 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Ohgawd:

1)Dan Conner, he was an amazing character a great father, husband, always fun, always strong

2) Roseanne

3) Dan, he is huge

4) Dan, their life was rough, then he had a heart attack and died. ;(

5) Dan, I look at him as my father figure in a lot of ways.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Roseanne is incredible, I didn't get it when it was on because I was like, 6 years old, but watching it now it's pretty amazing.

This, so much, and followed good sir.

#26 Posted by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

1. Bundy

2. Bundy

3. Bundy

4. Bundy

5. Bundy

Now if we're talking John Goodman's character Walter Sobchak from Big Lebowski then he wins in a fight. But Dan O'Connor was a big pushover in Roseanne. Also Married with Children was one of my fave show's from the late 80's early 90's. So I'm going with Al Bundy for all categories.

#27 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Hyperglide: How was Dan a pushover? He beat up two or three guys in that show...

#28 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Goku.

#29 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

1) Which is the more iconic sitcom father from the 1980s - 1990s? - Al

2) Which was on the better show? - Al

3) Who'd win in a fight? - Dan

4) Who had to struggle more in life between the two? - Tie

5) Which character do you like more? - Al

#30 Posted by golguin (3869 posts) -

Al Bundy for all.

#31 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I was a big Roseanne fan, so Dan Conner.

#32 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Al

Al

Dan

Dan

Al

Married With Children was super sitcom and not serious in the slighest. Roseanne dealt with issues and such. There was never a serious episodes of Married with Children. I didn't start watching Roseanne til later in life.

#33 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

Fuck anybody that says anything to the contrary, John Goodman wins all "v.s." battles. So, in conclusion, John Goodman is the clear winner here.

EDIT: That goes for all of the categories except for, maybe, the fourth one as it is hard to decipher a clear "victor" in that category.

#34 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

4 touchdowns in one game man, you can't beat that.

#35 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Both fantastic actors on fucking TERRIBLE shows

#36 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

Al Bundy. He ended up with Sofia Vergara.

#37 Edited by Trilogy (2648 posts) -
  1. Al Bundy, Unfortunately
  2. Dan Connor
  3. Dan Connor...fucking obviously
  4. Dan Connor
  5. Dan Connor

I couldn't stand married with children. Not as a kid, a teen, or as a young adult. Roseanne on the other hand, had it's moments. I personally despise Roseanne as a character and as a person but that show actually had continuity. A hell more than most sitcoms do, anyway. Story in Roseanne would continue from one episode to the next so a story line didn't have to be wholly contained into one episode. This made it possible to have pretty serious events occur such as marriage, pregnancy, divorce, ect. Also, it made for a more grounded television show not including the last season. Seriously, what the fuck is up with the final season of certain sitcoms? Why do they always go bat shit crazy?

#38 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: If your really think Roseanne is a terrible show you have really bad taste, straight up...

Watch the first season and tell me that show is not good.

#39 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@big_jon

@Tim_the_Corsair: If your really think Roseanne is a terrible show you have really bad taste, straight up...

Watch the first season and tell me that show is not good.

I've seen every episode, I feel it's a not very funny sitcom that ham-fistedly attempted to "be real" to maybe make up for the fact that fucking Roseanne was in it? Not the worst thing ever, but it's not very good, just like the majority of American-made sitcoms.

More than happy to disagree with you and good luck to you if you love it, but I think I'll trust my own tastes over your opinion.
#40 Posted by NTM (7324 posts) -

Those are two of the older sitcoms that I don't like at all. I'd rather watch Home Improvement or even Full House.

#41 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: Sorry duder, then you have awful taste.

If you hate the show, why would you watch every episode? lol

#42 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2274 posts) -

Tim Allen wins all five

#43 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@big_jon

It was on when I was a kid, first in prime time, then after school. I'd watch the show that ran ahead of it and leave it on since there was nothing else at that time (my grandmother also watched it and I spent a deal of time with her).

I have since rewatched various episodes at different points (including one last week), and the humour in it is just loud, obnoxious, screechy crap, often with a nasty bent to it. It's no better than 2 Broke Girls or Everybody Loves Raymond or Mike and Molly or any of the other sitcom dreck.

I tried to be polite and leave it as differences of opinion despite you insulting my taste the first time, but your hardon for Roseanne has made that challenging, so enjoy your lowest common denominator humour I guess.
#44 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

Depends, is it a pie eating contest or a fight to the death?

#45 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@big_jon

It was on when I was a kid, first in prime time, then after school. I'd watch the show that ran ahead of it and leave it on since there was nothing else at that time (my grandmother also watched it and I spent a deal of time with her). I have since rewatched various episodes at different points (including one last week), and the humour in it is just loud, obnoxious, screechy crap, often with a nasty bent to it. It's no better than 2 Broke Girls or Everybody Loves Raymond or Mike and Molly or any of the other sitcom dreck. I tried to be polite and leave it as differences of opinion despite you insulting my taste the first time, but your hardon for Roseanne has made that challenging, so enjoy your lowest common denominator humour I guess.

No, that is Adam Sandler and American Pie...

#46 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

I've never seen an episode of either one of those shows.

#47 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

How is this even a question?

Al Bundy > all.

#48 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Al Bundy for everything except who would win in a fight. Four touchdowns in one game be damned, Dan would crush him.

#49 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Big Al to all.

#50 Edited by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

Are you kidding? These characters/shows aren't even in the same league. Al Bundy to all questions.