• 59 results
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By dethfish

Here you need to post an album or band that you think needs to be heard more. So basically a recommendation for everyone who is looking for new music.

I recommend Abigail by King Diamond. I've had this album for a while but just recently started listening to it a lot. It's a horror story in the form of a Metal cd. Awesome

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Verdugo

I'm aware they have many fans, but still, Mastodon is currently one of my favorite bands. All of their albums are excellent and should be heard (I don't care if you don't end up liking it, just give them a chance). To start off I recommend Leviathan or Crack The Skye, then move on to Blood Mountain and Remission.

And Dethfish, I see you like Thrash Metal etc. Do you like the band Annihilator? You might like the album Alice in Hell.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pibo47

Anything disturbed
Anything Avenged Sevenfold
Anything Slipknot

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

Here is a useless thread where people post the albums they love the most and no one will listen to them because they only want to post their personal favorites.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dethfish
Verdugo said:
"

I'm aware they have many fans, but still, Mastodon is currently one of my favorite bands. All of their albums are excellent and should be heard (I don't care if you don't end up liking it, just give them a chance). To start off I recommend Leviathan or Crack The Skye, then move on to Blood Mountain and Remission.

And Dethfish, I see you like Thrash Metal etc. Do you like the band Annihilator? You might like the album Alice in Hell.

"

I really like Mastodon. I haven't heard their new album yet but I like all their previous ones.

Yeah, I love Annihilator. It was actually one of the bands I was thinking about recommending. Alice in Hell, Never, Neverland and Schizo Deluxe are my favorite albums.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
Snail said:
"Here is a useless thread where people post the albums they love the most and no one will listen to them because they only want to post their personal favorites."
Here is another useless post by Snail in which he condemns a thread he obviously doesn't understand the purpose for, and then never refutes the fact that he's wrong because he has no concept of what discussion forums are supposed to be used for (hint: discussions).

I recommend Another Black Day's Another Black Day. It's their debut album and they have a heaping ton of potential. Any metal fan should look into it.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dethfish
Snail said:
"Here is a useless thread where people post the albums they love the most and no one will listen to them because they only want to post their personal favorites."

Maybe you wouldn't listen to anything anyone recommends but I would. Like if someone posted an album I haven't heard by a band I like or an album/band I've heard about but never listened to. You could also find some cool stuff if you just type some of these bands into itunes and listen. It's a good way to find new music.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
  • Portastatic - Bright Ideas
  • Magneto - Sounds Like Space
  • Headlights - Kill Them With Kindness
  • Land of Talk - Some are Lakes
  • Hard-FI - Stars of CCTV
  • The Subways - All or Nothing
  • Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People
  • The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss and Desperation

These are all alternative/independent bands
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NickM

Midnight Brown, hehe

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Systech
  • Tyrannosaurus Hives by The Hives
  • The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie
thecombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thecombine

While i know alot of albums that i could recommend, you didn't really mention a genre or anything, so ill just say the best album that DOES have some sort of video game tie-in.

Colors by Between the Buried and Me.

Probably one of the best metal albums ever, and you could hear  "Prequel to the Sequel" on the Rock Band 2 bonus songs. Also, my name is an Acacia Strain reference, so check out that band also.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Systech
thecombine said:
"While i know alot of albums that i could recommend, you didn't really mention a genre or anything, so ill just say the best album that DOES have some sort of video game tie-in.Colors by Between the Buried and Me.Probably one of the best metal albums ever, and you could hear  "Prequel to the Sequel" on the Rock Band 2 bonus songs. Also, my name is an Acacia Strain reference, so check out that band also."

On that note,

A City Dressed In Dynamite by That Handsome Devil is surpisingly awesome. One of the eeriest albums that I have heard before and you really feel that grungey version of the 1950's when you're listening to it. Plus, one of their songs is in Rock Band 2 and if you can remember, there was another in Guitar Hero II.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dethfish

Yeah, having a thread for a specific genre might have helped.

Speaking of video game music, I think everyone should check out Entertainment System (band) and it doesn't matter what your favorite genre is. Their music is really good and it brings back so many memories.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By xplodedd

i hope im not messing with the disscussion, but am i the only one who listens to Hip Hop?

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero
Pibo47 said:
"Anything disturbedAnything Avenged SevenfoldAnything Slipknot"
Nice try but I'm sure people (regrettably) do listen to those bands, they are pretty popular.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dethfish
Meltbrain said:
"Dethfish77 said:
"Yeah, having a thread for a specific genre might have helped.Speaking of video game music, I think everyone should check out Entertainment System (band) and it doesn't matter what your favorite genre is. Their music is really good and it brings back so many memories."
I added a little description to my suggestions so if you see anything you like the sounds of give it a listen."
Nice, that helps a lot. What is "math rock"? Songs about division?

xplodedd said:
"i hope im not messing with the disscussion, but am i the only one who listens to Hip Hop?"

I listen to some. Mainly old school stuff like Run-DMC and Public Enemy. I don't listen to it enough though to make any good recommendations but if you have any you should add them.
daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daz0608

The Arctic Monkeys

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGremp

If you're into metalcore, check out Neaera and Caliban.  They're fucking sweet.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dethfish
Meltbrain said:
"Dethfish77 said:
"Meltbrain said:
"Dethfish77 said:
"Yeah, having a thread for a specific genre might have helped.Speaking of video game music, I think everyone should check out Entertainment System (band) and it doesn't matter what your favorite genre is. Their music is really good and it brings back so many memories."
I added a little description to my suggestions so if you see anything you like the sounds of give it a listen."
Nice, that helps a lot. What is "math rock"? Songs about division?

xplodedd said:
"i hope im not messing with the disscussion, but am i the only one who listens to Hip Hop?"
I listen to some. Mainly old school stuff like Run-DMC and Public Enemy. I don't listen to it enough though to make any good recommendations but if you have any you should add them."
Hahaha, no dude. You haven't heard of Math Rock? Damn. I guess some good examples would be Battles, Foals, Faraquet, some Rocket From The Crypt... the Wiki article has more if you're interested."

Now I know why it's called Math Rock but I'll have to listen to some to really understand it. I like at the bottom of that wiki page it says "see also: Mathcore". I don't know why but that made me laugh.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dethfish

The album Metal Church by Metal Church is a good metal album from the early 80's. It was made before Thrash Metal really was defined so it's got kind of an experimental sound.

If anyone likes Death/Heavy/Thrash metal you might like Arise by Sepultura. I don't know how popular it is but it's really good.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By CL60
Snail said:
You clearly are a moron.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By jakob187

You want recommendations?

Shadows Fall - Threads of Fate:  excellent album that breaks the typical metalcore trend and harkens back to the days of yore
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes:  don't know if you are much of a Machine Head fan, but this album is fucking essential
Gojira - To Mars From Sirius & The Way of All Flesh:  probably one of the most awesome foreign bands I've heard in a long time, and both of these albums are excellent
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul:  again, just fucking listen to it (check out the song "Cold")
Destruction - Devolution:  dood, if you've never heard of Destruction, you are doing yourself a massive disservice...these guys are the Slayer of Europe...except WAY better
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dethfish
jakob187 said:
"You want recommendations?

Shadows Fall - Threads of Fate:  excellent album that breaks the typical metalcore trend and harkens back to the days of yore
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes:  don't know if you are much of a Machine Head fan, but this album is fucking essential
Gojira - To Mars From Sirius & The Way of All Flesh:  probably one of the most awesome foreign bands I've heard in a long time, and both of these albums are excellent
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul:  again, just fucking listen to it (check out the song "Cold")
Destruction - Devolution:  dood, if you've never heard of Destruction, you are doing yourself a massive disservice...these guys are the Slayer of Europe...except WAY better
"

I never tried listening to Shawdows Fall because I always heard it was Metalcore and I'd kind of gotten sick of that but maybe I should give them a solid listen
I only started listening to Machine Head last year when I bought the album The Blackening. I love it.
I don't think I've ever heard Gojira.
Municipal Waste could be my favorite band of the 00s. I own all three of their albums and can't wait till they make another.
Heard of At the Gates but never listened to their stuff.
Desruction, hell yes. I like the two other big German thrash metal bands Kreator and Sodom a little better than Destruction but they're still really good.
Doomsayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Doomsayer

Lately I've been listening to a lot of The Black Dahlia Murder. I like every one of their albums, but if I had to pick my favorite it would probably be Unhallowed.
NOLA byDown is insanely good.
and finally, So Sedated, So Secure by Darkest Hour is awesome...well, really any of their albums are, but I have been hooked on that one lately.
I had better stop there for now.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By BackpackKat
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix EP - Phoenix
There a french synth rock band id recommend "1901"  there old stuff is good to

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSLbW1S5gHA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSLbW1S5gHA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What Doesn't Kill Us - What Makes Milwaukee Famous
One of my favorite albums of last year. There a really cool indie band and I havnt heard a bad song by them. btw this is there second album so if you like it check out there first "Trying To Finish Last"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YjhoTDnxp0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YjhoTDnxp0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By BackpackKat

I embed those wrong just search for the URL
Sorry about the double post.

KidVelasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KidVelasco

The Birth of Cool By Miles Davis

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Math Rock's bigger, more pretentious brother is Post-Rock, which is the kind of music I find myself swimming in without fail.

Suggestions:

• Godspeed You! Black Emperor-- "F♯A♯∞"  -- This is basically the Post-Rock album to have to understand the genre. The album is composed of three lengthy, dynamic tracks (which are, in turn, composed of several movements). The three tracks inform each other and the album's overall texture while each maintaining a pressing, unique tone.
  • Tortoise -- "TNT" -- This album, essentially, foregrounded the more melodic shape Post-Rock has taken in recent years. Before this album, Post-Rock was mostly a thing of oppressive dread and apocalyptic under/overtones. What Tortoise did was usher in a jazzier style, with more upbeat tempos and optimistic tracks.
  • Do Make Say Think -- "A Tender History in Rust" -- Arguably the most prominent band to come out of the post-Tortoise era, Do Make Say Think expands on the "big band" feel Tortoise founded in the genre. This album isn't their best, necessarily, but it is their most accessible. And it makes the perfect soundtrack for a spring day.

There are a hundred more I could pitch your way, but these three are the best three to get started with in the genre.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Red

I can't recommend Rogue Wave's Into the Shadow enough.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By AgentJ

Cauterize doesnt do stuff anymore, but i enjoyed their music. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By carlthenimrod

Alkaline Trio and Yellowcard

My favorite bands.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Gunner

serious lack of punk rock in this thread

1. Descendents (cool to be you, milo goes to college and everything sux are all good albums)
2. Rise against (The unraveling is a good vanilla punk/hardcore album, make sure you look for the remastered version. Revolutions per minute and siren song of the counter culture are also must haves)
3. Bad Religion... you really cant go wrong with any of their albums, but my favorite is The Empire Strikes First.
4. NOFX (my favorite albums are war on errorism, so long and thanks for all the shoes, and punk in drublic)
5. 88 Fingers Louie (only own back on the streets but its pretty good if you like punk and hardcore)
6. Last of the Believers, a new band so they only have one album, pretty good if you like melodic hardcore/punk.
7. Offspring, like Bad Religion, you cant go wrong with any of their stuff.
8. Operation Ivy (Energy has a good mix of ska/punk songs)
9. Pennywise (agian, i only own one of their albums (land of the free), they have a pretty unique sound that kind of sounds like a mix of hardcore, metal and punk.. pretty interesting.)
10. Rancid (a lot like operation ivy only more advanced. Out Came the Wolves is by far their best album)

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GnaTSoL

I recommend the band Earl Greyhound. At the least, listen to 'S.O.S'. :)

Another band I would recommend is Eye-Shine. Johnny Yong Bosch FTW! "It's Morphin Time!"

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meltbrain said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Math Rock's bigger, more pretentious brother is Post-Rock, which is the kind of music I find myself swimming in without fail.

Suggestions:
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor-- "F♯A♯∞"  -- This is basically the Post-Rock album to have to understand the genre. The album is composed of three lengthy, dynamic tracks (which are, in turn, composed of several movements). The three tracks inform each other and the album's overall texture while each maintaining a pressing, unique tone.
  • Tortoise -- "TNT" -- This album, essentially, foregrounded the more melodic shape Post-Rock has taken in recent years. Before this album, Post-Rock was mostly a thing of oppressive dread and apocalyptic under/overtones. What Tortoise did was usher in a jazzier style, with more upbeat tempos and optimistic tracks.
  • Do Make Say Think -- "A Tender History in Rust" -- Arguably the most prominent band to come out of the post-Tortoise era, Do Make Say Think expands on the "big band" feel Tortoise founded in the genre. This album isn't their best, necessarily, but it is their most accessible. And it makes the perfect soundtrack for a spring day.
There are a hundred more I could pitch your way, but these three are the best three to get started with in the genre. "
I love Godspeed and Tortoise. =)I've been listening to a lot of A Silver Mt. Zion lately, I assume you're into them too, Ragnarok? I haven't heard of Do Make Say Think though, I'll have to check them out. Props to the Lift Yr Skinny Fists avatar too, hehe."
I got to see A Silver Mt. Zion play live a few years back. They're okay, but I think Efrem's singing can get grating after a bit. He's got another project, probably more avant-garde than Post-Rock, called Fly Pan Am. They're a bit better, I think. Less like Godspeed and more their own thing.

Do Make is my personal pet Post-Rock band. Notable Post-Rock bands include God is an Astronaut, Mogwai, and This Will Destroy You.

A band that tries (their success is arguable) to bridge the gap between Math Rock and Post-Rock is 65DaysofStatic.
SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By SimpsonFan

Trivium - The Crusade (CD)

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thegoldencat7

Editors - an end has a start.

Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Whight_Knight

Rust in Peace - Megadeth

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ahriman22
  • Marrow of A Bone - Dir En Grey
  • Awake -Evoke The Urge- - Deathgaze (PAricularly the song Paranoid Parade)
  • Buiikikaesu - Maximum The Hormone
  • Mirror - D'espairsray
  • Uroboros - Dir En Grey
  • Redeemer - D'espairsray

All Japanese, but trust me, Japanese music sounds better than you think.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

The correlation between gaming forums and shitty metal/emo/metalcore/screamo/faggish music is astounding...

i remember when i was angry too...when i was 13

Poohkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Poohkey

Everyone should try to listen to 'Unfortunate Snort' by Pinkly Smooth once. It's a side project composed of The Rev and Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold and Buck Silverspur and D-Rock from Ballistico. It's avante-garde metal. It's a pretty interesting album and not mainstream at all.