Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dynamitekyle
No Caption Provided

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

November 18, 1997

Modest Mouse's "The Lonesome Crowded West" is unquestionably one of my favorite albums of all time. Isaac Brock's brilliant lyrics and eclectic guitar playing mixed with Jeremiah Green's outstanding percussion work and Eric Judy's great bass, there isn't any way I could call this album anything but one of the greatest albums of the 90's. Being an indie rock album at an hour and thirteen minutes long, you would think at some point it would become tedious, or repetitive, but the songs are so wildly different from each other at points that it never fails keeping things interesting. Teeth Like God's Shoeshine opens up the album with noisy screams and distorted guitars, while Styrofoam Boots ends the album with soft acoustic guitars and Isaac Brock wistfully singing.

The production on the album gives it a very dusty, western, feel to it (the lonesome feeling is immediately addressed on Modest Mouse's next LP in the discography "The Moon And Antarctica", but I'll probably do a review of that some other time.). Isaac Brock and Eric Judy both do fine jobs on their respective instruments, but the real stand-out is drummer Jeremiah Green. I can't say enough good things about the percussion on this album. All you have to do is listen to the opening of Truckers Atlas to see what

I'm talking about.

When I think of bad things to say about LCW, the only thing that comes to mind is that the song "Long Distance Drunk" outwears it's welcome rather quickly. That is the only complaint.

In summary, The Lonesome Crowded West is one of the greatest indie albums of all time, and I don't see it leaving my rotation anytime soon.

6/5 TOTALLY CRASHING PLANES

EDITORS CHOICE

HONOR ROLL

HALL OF FAME

BUY 20 COPIES

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

It's certainly an amazing album.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joeyoe31

I liked it!

WhatNow122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By WhatNow122

Really an awesome album, and an awesome review!

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

Man that was pretty good. Got to add this to my list of 90s alt rock albums I've got to listen to. I kind of missed out on that era. What did you think of the Moon and Antarctica by the way? I've heard good things about that album too.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coakroach

Good tunes.

Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Dynamitekyle

@CookieMonster said:

Man that was pretty good. Got to add this to my list of 90s alt rock albums I've got to listen to. I kind of missed out on that era. What did you think of the Moon and Antarctica by the way? I've heard good things about that album too.

Moon and Antarctica is more well produced than LCW and is generally awesome. If you liked LCW I'd definitely get M&A too.