• 61 results
#1 Edited by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

Looking to try something new while watching UF tonight! Any Recommendations!

I like Whiskey, Vodka, Scotch, Wine, and Bourbon

not much on beer but will try if you can convince me it doesn't taste like piss!

#2 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

Join the Bombay Sapphire club.

#3 Edited by MonetaryDread (2030 posts) -

Whiskey neat.... notice I added the "e" in the Whiskey, that is because the only good whiskey is Irish whiskey. Get yourself a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey.

#4 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

After a few years of sobriety, I quite enjoyed "4 Orange Vodka" last New Year's Eve...

#5 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

For a good alternative tasting beer, I really like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. It's got a very light smooth flavor and no bitter aftertaste.

#6 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Jim Beam's Red Stag is pretty good.

#7 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

The only alcoholic beverage I have ever enjoyed drinking was an ice cold Heineken and a Alexander Keith beer. If I had to drink something though it would be one of them.

#8 Posted by Christoffer (1816 posts) -

I've recently discovered The Ileach. Islay scotch. I treated some friends to it and they all loved it too, even the ones that didn't much care for scotch. A little bit smokey, but smooth to drink and easy to enjoy. If you find it, try it.

#9 Posted by Legion_ (1282 posts) -

There's only one whiskey.

#10 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

Seeing how you like Scotch and Bourbon Whisky, maybe try Rye, it was my favorite when I used to drink.

#11 Posted by Christoffer (1816 posts) -

@Legion_: It's a good one. I wont argue.

#12 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I got some Southern Comfort a month ago. I actually like it a lot for drinking straight. It has a different taste.

I got a question for anyone that's tried'em, what do those "cookie dough" or "Marshmallow" flavored vodkas taste like? I was always curious about that? Or peppermint schnapps that I always smell on the breaths of alcoholics.

#13 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

Booker's bourbon bro. It's about $55 a bottle and worth every cent. Proper bourbon.

#14 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1973 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

Whiskey neat.... notice I added the "e" in the Whiskey, that is because the only good whiskey is Irish whiskey. Get yourself a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey.

This, Jameson is my go to whiskey, I can drink it all night. Like Ron Burgundy says, it always goes down smooth.

@Legion_ said:

There's only one whiskey.

Boom.

#15 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select - Drop a cherry in it.

Jameson Special Reserve - Neat or over a little ice.

Glenfiddich 12 or 18-21 - Neat.

Laphroaig - Over ice.

#16 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -
  • Johnnie Walker Green Label - It was discontinued not too long ago so grab one while you can!
  • Glenfiddich 14-year-old Rich Oak - I got a bottle for Christmas that has been treating me very well.
#17 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

I'm a single malt kinda guy recently I'm really opening up to bourbon.

This

Is p good. You should try it sometime.

#18 Posted by seannao (226 posts) -

If you don't mind sweet stuff, try a beer called WILD BLUE. It's a little on the expensive side, but it tastes pretty much like blueberries. They do other versions too like blackberry.

The last thing I had to drink was over Christmas. Some Bombay Gin and Tonics. Simple simple mixers are usually among the best. Pick up a few recipes that might appeal to you.

There are some bloody mary mixes that include things like cayenne pepper and barbeque sauce and they are *FANTASTIC* with a meat-heavy dinner.

#19 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

Try some rum. Bacardi 151 is a good place to start, or as we used to call it, Bacardi One-Fifty-Fun.

#20 Posted by visualninja (20 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Laphroaig - Over ice.

I second the Glenfiddich 12, really really good. can be pricey.

Also if your not into beer that much, try Guinness (the tall can is the best, pour in a glass) and Boddingtons pub ale is similar but lighter. both are smooth and don't have the bitterness that most people don't like in beer.

#21 Posted by OmegaChosen (645 posts) -

Rubbing.

#22 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Try Left Hand Breweries' Milk Stout. It's pretty damned good.

#23 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

@OmegaChosen said:

Rubbing.

#24 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Try a wheat beer, they're significantly smoother and imo better tasting. Garbage like Budweiser practically is piss in a bottle, but don't let shitty teenager beer make up your mind on the beverage.

#25 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

There's a massive variety of taste in beer which you won't come across if you stick to the most commonly available stuff like Bud and Miller (which taste fairly awful). The nicer stuff will cost more, but also taste better and tend to contain a lot more alcohol.

For nice American beers try any of the following for starters: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Founder's Reds Rye, Old Rasputin Imperial Stout or Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. If your local store has a decent beer section they will almost certainly stock at least one of these, or at least alternatives from the same breweries. Left Hand Brewing Co. that mentioned also make nice beers.

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Try a wheat beer, they're significantly smoother and imo better tasting. Garbage like Budweiser practically is piss in a bottle, but don't let shitty teenager beer make up your mind on the beverage.

Wheat beers can be nice even if you don't like typical beers. Belgian stuff like Hoegaarden and Leffe is very widely available all over the world and very tasty. Any serious craft brewery usually has some kind of wheat beer product in their line up, too, it's just a matter of finding a store that stocks a decent range.

#26 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Try some rum. Bacardi 151 is a good place to start, or as we used to call it, Bacardi One-Fifty-Fun.

Never fucking again. No. Do not listen to this man. Only awful, terrible things come from drinking this evil concoction.

#27 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

There's a massive variety of taste in beer which you won't come across if you stick to the most commonly available stuff like Bud and Miller (which taste fairly awful). The nicer stuff will cost more, but also taste better and tend to contain a lot more alcohol.

For nice American beers try any of the following for starters: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Founder's Reds Rye, Old Rasputin Imperial Stout or Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. If your local store has a decent beer section they will almost certainly stock at least one of these, or at least alternatives from the same breweries. Left Hand Brewing Co. that mentioned also make nice beers.

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Wheat beers can be nice even if you don't like typical beers. Belgian stuff like Hoegaarden and Leffe is very widely available all over the world and very tasty. Any serious craft brewery usually has some kind of wheat beer product in their line up, too, it's just a matter of finding a store that stocks a decent range.

This guy. This fucking guy knows his beer. Listen to this man!!

#28 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Jameson. Always Jameson when talking about Whiskey.

If you like mixing with soda, I have to recommend everyone try mixing with Bacardi Oakheart. It is so damn good when mixed with soda like Pepsi Max and it's cheap; like $12. I am not a fan of Rum, but goddamn it is so good.

#29 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

YO, OP!

Why don't you class it up with some Tanqueray and Tonic Water?

#30 Edited by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

YO, OP!

Or make a Martini. All you need is a cold glass and the vermouth.

(and a strainer)

#31 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@hwy_61 said:

YO, OP!

Or make a Martini. All you need is a cold glass and the vermouth.

(and a strainer)

That's more work than a Gin & Tonic, but I like your style. We should have Manhattans some time.

#32 Posted by DemiGodRaven (270 posts) -

Fireball Whiskey and Dr. Pepper.

#33 Edited by Frostily (42 posts) -
#34 Posted by ComixZone (92 posts) -

Cabo Wabo. A dang tasty tequila.

#35 Posted by Droop (1870 posts) -

Beer, glorious beer.

#36 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Everclear

#37 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Anything good that's affordable? Small biz alternatives to brands like Jack, Jameson, Malibu, Sky, etc.?

#38 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

Beer: Great Lakes Brewery Drinks. They are golden/red beer. It tastes amazing. And I hate most beer honestly. It's all I drink now. Especially Christmas Ale

#39 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

By beer you prolly just mean you dislike lager, I can understand that. I would suggest trying something darker like Stout or Porter. It sorta-kinda reminds me of the complexity of a good whiskey. I wouldn't recommend Guiness since I love darker "beers" but I can't stand that one and think it has too much clout as the go-to for darker "beers" in the US.

On hard liquor I'd say give tequila and sake a shot.

#40 Edited by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Ruskii Standart.
 Thank me later.
#41 Posted by VoshiNova (1687 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Jim Beam's Red Stag is pretty good.

I actually really enjoy Red Stag. Reminds me of the dark cherry flavored blow pops.

#42 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -
@seannao Eewwww wild blue is the ONLY beer I've ever poured out, it's fucking purple! I can't consider it beer it's more of a wine cooler that is 9% abv. (yuck). For beer I would suggest Well's banana bread beer, it is not overtly sweet and it actually tastes like banana bread. For whiskey my favorite is Rare Breed by wild turkey, it's a blended whiskey and it delightful.
#43 Posted by Mezmero (1899 posts) -

I recommend moderation. Just don't tell the moderators.

#44 Edited by evanbower (1211 posts) -

White Russian.

Nothing wrong with a little Vodka Cran, either. Your UFC buddies will love it.

#45 Posted by L44 (559 posts) -

@visualninja said:

@mlarrabee said:

Laphroaig - Over ice.

I second the Glenfiddich 12, really really good. can be pricey.

Also if your not into beer that much, try Guinness (the tall can is the best, pour in a glass) and Boddingtons pub ale is similar but lighter. both are smooth and don't have the bitterness that most people don't like in beer.

I third Glenfiddich.

#46 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Is buying alcohol online significantly cheaper? Not like "Walmart sells the Wii Ubfor $298 instead of 299.99" cheaper, but like Newegg vs. Best Buy level of cheaper? Is there a cheapassdrinker.com? Heh. I mean like, a $30 bottle you'd find at a local store costing $20 online type of cheap.

#47 Posted by Getz (3007 posts) -

Makers Mark bourbon for whiskey and Konig Ludwig Weissbier for beer.

#48 Posted by hanktherapper (378 posts) -

Gin and tonic is all I need. I save the bourbon and whiskey for beef marinades. It adds such a nice flavor to steaks.

#49 Posted by flashx_454 (48 posts) -

you should give Samuel Adams Cream Stout a try.

Its one of the best tasting beers i've ever had and it doesn't taste like piss.

#50 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Is Jeff Gerstmann 's reaction to gin typical or does he just have an aversion to it?

I saw Red Stag, will try it next time, same with Bombay gin (the blue colored one).

Tonight, I chose the one people warned about, Bacardi 151. Love the fire hazard warnings. 75% by volume's got to be the strongest I've ever tried (I'm not a drinker. Only have the extra money around birthdays, Xmas, tax refund time, etc.)

Tried as a shot, and another mixed with coke. It tastes how an apartment fire feels. No regrets!