All the Funny People, where do they all come from?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By fr0br0

Alright, it's been a year since Pineapple Express, so you know what that means? Time for another Judd Apatow movie! I love this guy's movies. He is a comic genius when it comes to cinema. The guy has been very inspirational with the style of comedy that can be very raunchy, yet still appeal to so many people. He's one of my favorite current writers and the guy's directing skills can be pretty impressive for somebody who focuses on comedy.

Enough with my JA dick riding, now let me talk about his new movie, Funny People. When I first saw the trailers for Funny People I thought it would be a more sentimental approach. If you don't know, FP is a movie about a stand up comic/actor who finds out he has a very rare disease and doesn't have much longer to live. The trailer doesn't give much more information than that so it was hard to determine how much actual comedy would be in it. However, the jokes in those trailers were enough to make me believe it was a Apatow movie so I knew I was going to see it.

I saw the movie opening day (tonight) and I haven't laughed for so long and hard for the entire summer. Before you ask, yes, I have seen The Hangover. That movie was my old summer comedy king. Well, that movie was just dethroned. FP offers more than just rehtard jokes and slapstick comedy. FP has much more witty writing, almost all the jokes were hilarious and no tiny penises flying at your face!

Funny People gave off a fresh comedy taste by giving us a complex plot and quite a few subplots. The movie focuses on character development (which you should expect out of a JA movie) but it was really entertaining to see how much shit the main character must go through before he realizes he needs to makes some changes. It came off feeling very natural. There was plenty of drama, but it was all sped up with a constant barrage of funny quirks and comments.

To all the people who are usually turned off by Adam Sandler movies, don't fear. Sandler doesn't do his known "is he retarded, or just really stupid?" role he has done in the past. Sandler gives a good emotional performance that can almost rival his from Punch Drunk Love. He goes back to his roots and gives a great performance of a stand up comic as he delivers all of his funny lines perfectly.

The only real drawback is that this movie is looooong. It's a little more than 2 and a half hours. I felt like they could have cut out some of the more dramatic scenes involving the main character's ex, but they back this by beefing up the comedy. Overall, Sandler and Rogen were both hilarious. There was great writing, great delivery and the stand up comedy portions were all great. There are some hilarious cameos (Eminem cussing out Ray Romano had me in stitches) and this is hands down my comedy pick of the summer. It's a shame that I have a feeling that this one will be lost at the box offices.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fr0br0

Alright, it's been a year since Pineapple Express, so you know what that means? Time for another Judd Apatow movie! I love this guy's movies. He is a comic genius when it comes to cinema. The guy has been very inspirational with the style of comedy that can be very raunchy, yet still appeal to so many people. He's one of my favorite current writers and the guy's directing skills can be pretty impressive for somebody who focuses on comedy.

Enough with my JA dick riding, now let me talk about his new movie, Funny People. When I first saw the trailers for Funny People I thought it would be a more sentimental approach. If you don't know, FP is a movie about a stand up comic/actor who finds out he has a very rare disease and doesn't have much longer to live. The trailer doesn't give much more information than that so it was hard to determine how much actual comedy would be in it. However, the jokes in those trailers were enough to make me believe it was a Apatow movie so I knew I was going to see it.

I saw the movie opening day (tonight) and I haven't laughed for so long and hard for the entire summer. Before you ask, yes, I have seen The Hangover. That movie was my old summer comedy king. Well, that movie was just dethroned. FP offers more than just rehtard jokes and slapstick comedy. FP has much more witty writing, almost all the jokes were hilarious and no tiny penises flying at your face!

Funny People gave off a fresh comedy taste by giving us a complex plot and quite a few subplots. The movie focuses on character development (which you should expect out of a JA movie) but it was really entertaining to see how much shit the main character must go through before he realizes he needs to makes some changes. It came off feeling very natural. There was plenty of drama, but it was all sped up with a constant barrage of funny quirks and comments.

To all the people who are usually turned off by Adam Sandler movies, don't fear. Sandler doesn't do his known "is he retarded, or just really stupid?" role he has done in the past. Sandler gives a good emotional performance that can almost rival his from Punch Drunk Love. He goes back to his roots and gives a great performance of a stand up comic as he delivers all of his funny lines perfectly.

The only real drawback is that this movie is looooong. It's a little more than 2 and a half hours. I felt like they could have cut out some of the more dramatic scenes involving the main character's ex, but they back this by beefing up the comedy. Overall, Sandler and Rogen were both hilarious. There was great writing, great delivery and the stand up comedy portions were all great. There are some hilarious cameos (Eminem cussing out Ray Romano had me in stitches) and this is hands down my comedy pick of the summer. It's a shame that I have a feeling that this one will be lost at the box offices.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I have not seen funny people but I am sure it will be my favorite comedy film for the year so far easily. Because I havent enjoyed any of the comedies out so far this year. The Hangover sucked.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jesus
@c1337us said:
" I have not seen funny people but I am sure it will be my favorite comedy film for the year so far easily. Because I havent enjoyed any of the comedies out so far this year. The Hangover sucked. "
hater
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us
@Jesus: Forgive me father.
Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Jesus
@c1337us said:
" @Jesus: Forgive me father. "
your forgiven
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

Sweet. I will try to accept only love into my heart from now on.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By LeetBalla

Judd Apatow is not funny and his movies are just horrible. I wasted so much money seeing his dumb ass movies with my friends. Superbad, 40-year old virgin, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up and any other garbage he directs or produces. But then again I guess you already have to be the kind of person who likes the shit that is Family Guy, Dane Cook and Sacha Baron Cohen to "appreciate" garbage like that. I will not be seeing Funny People, ever.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

i thought that Funny People was a great movie, it was better than the other Apatow stuff I've seen in the past few years even though some of those were funny. Kudus to Sandler, and Rogen (his best Apatow character other than Ken from Freaks and Geeks.) Also I'm glad I saw a recurring theme throughout the movie, and not too much vulgar material to overshadow the drama (and there was some, brother)

@LeetBalla said:
" Judd Apatow is not funny and his movies are just horrible. I wasted so much money seeing his dumb ass movies with my friends. Superbad, 40-year old virgin, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up and any other garbage he directs or produces. But then again I guess you already have to be the kind of person who likes the shit that is Family Guy, Dane Cook and Sacha Baron Cohen to "appreciate" garbage like that. I will not be seeing Funny People, ever. "
lol okay

EDIT:
nofx4208: hey when are you gonna see funny pe-
LeetBalla: NEVER
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By LeetBalla
@nofx4208: You can just go on liking what people tell you that you should like. How does it feel to be a sheep?
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@LeetBalla: it's okay i guess, thanks for asking man!
KILLER BOOTS!

EDIT: haha seriously though I'm not a sheep. I saw this movie because it looked appealing to me and it was... I probably wouldn't like it if I was born on a farm and retarded and a black woman but I wasn't so it isn't (In Bruges quote lol)... no offense to you..
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie

Is the title of the post a beatles reference?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fr0br0
@Pie: Why yes, yes it is.

@LeetBalla: And just out of curiosity, what do you find funny? Or do you believe laughing is way a conform to the commie pigs of the world?
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By keyhunter

" @c1337us said:
your forgiven "
His what?
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@keyhunter said:
"
" @c1337us said:
your forgiven "
His what? "
SHHH!! he'll smite us!
(i'm actually catholic so I'm a little balanced on my statement)
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By bwooduhs
@LeetBalla said:
" Judd Apatow is not funny and his movies are just horrible. I wasted so much money seeing his dumb ass movies with my friends. Superbad, 40-year old virgin, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up and any other garbage he directs or produces. But then again I guess you already have to be the kind of person who likes the shit that is Family Guy, Dane Cook and Sacha Baron Cohen to "appreciate" garbage like that. I will not be seeing Funny People, ever. "
Wow, you managed to list some of my favorite movies in  your hate list.