• 109 results
#1 Posted by tphickma (59 posts) -

Sometimes nothing is better than sitting down to play a game with a nice tumbler of premium whiskey. What is your favorite brand of whiskey? Put brand and any other additional info up here. The more info the more likely someone will find it and try it.

Mine is the Thomas H Handy Rye from Buffalo Trace Distillery. Sells at about $50-$60

Not sure if this is sold in Kansas, cant find any at the local stores, but a friend who came into town to visit brought this bottle over half full and we finished it off with some street fighter.

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Wait, is it socially acceptable to play games and drink by yourself? 

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Because some whiskey might make some of this grinding in Persona 3 go by faster so I can get back to the good stuff.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I actually drink CBSi, now.

#5 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I started almost exclusively drinking premium vodkas straight the last year or two (Though I do often indulge in a whiskey sour, which would be my favorite drink. It's bitter, but kinda sweet. Just like me!) I just really enjoy the clean taste of it and I'm less prone to hangovers and getting too drunk with straightGrey Goose or Stolichnaya.

But looking at my liqour cabinet all I see is a 2/3rds bottle of Maker's Mark and I have a bottle of some Glenfiddich at a friend of mines.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine got a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for his birthday by his brother and daaaaaamn, that was tasty.

#6 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@TooWalrus: having a drink while playing a game moreso then getting sloshed by your lonesome (while playing a game).

#7 Posted by Donkeycow (558 posts) -

I drink mostly Scotch and my brand of choice tends to be Aberlour.

#8 Posted by SgtSphynx (1565 posts) -

Got a fifth of Johnny Walker Blue Label sitting next to my TV, but I only occasionally drink from that. Normally I drink Bushmills (Black Bush is a good tasting, inexpensive whiskey) or Chivas Regal (if I'm want a scotch and soda, this is my go to)

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I drink Canadian Club. Here's why

Cheap, yet has a decent taste far beyond the price range

I'm Canadian

Don Draper drinks it

It has a classy label.

#10 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (136 posts) -

Mainly a Gin & Tonic person, really.

#11 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: You know in the UK Canadian Club is pretty expensive and considered one of the premiums.

Whenever I visit america I drink a ton of the stuff.

#12 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@Jimi said:

@TheHumanDove: You know in the UK Canadian Club is pretty expensive and considered one of the premiums.

Whenever I visit america I drink a ton of the stuff.

Really? Huh, crazy.

#13 Posted by MikeFightNight (1117 posts) -

I'm a scotch man myself, Glenfiddich 18 year is my go to. When it comes to whiskey I prefer bourbon over rye, which is funny because I live in Canada. Gentlemen Jack is my de facto whiskey, single barrel when its a special occasion.

#14 Posted by tphickma (59 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: I can get down with the Mist

#15 Posted by tphickma (59 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Because some whiskey might make some of this grinding in Persona 3 go by faster so I can get back to the good stuff.

its completely acceptable. Its how i got through Darksiders II

#16 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I was comfortably intoxicated throughout my entire playthrough of Amnesia

#18 Posted by tphickma (59 posts) -

@wrecks said:

This was going to be my second choice, always a good drink.

#19 Posted by light_grenade (124 posts) -

Living in the area of the Scottish whisky trail has it's advantages. With the Glen Garioch distillery just down the road; I generally just grab it straight out the cask when they allow it. A bit of a shady practice, but great if you get a bottle full out of it. Age, percentage, and flavour vary.

#20 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Used to be Jack... but i dont drink much anymore.

#21 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

For me it's a tossup between Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old and Oban 14 Year Old. Neat, of course. I have yet to try the Oban 18 Year Old.

#22 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Agreed. This is my go to drink. I love it.

#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i like jack daniels if i drink whiskey, put it in coke.

it's good to drink alone and play video games.

#24 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Jim Beam if I'm mixing. Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve otherwise

#25 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

@TyCobb: Your Sir, have good taste.

#26 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Bookers is amazing

#27 Posted by Meltbrain (2976 posts) -

My buddy had a bottle of Lagavulin which he was kind enough to allow me to try. That stuff is positively delicious. It's like liquid smoke.

#28 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Meltbrain said:

My buddy had a bottle of Lagavulin which he was kind enough to allow me to try. That stuff is positively delicious. It's like liquid smoke.

A buddy of mine swears by that. I've only ever had it once. Goooood

#29 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

My go to would be Buffalo Trace, a great bourbon thats very reasonably priced and widely available. But most of the time I'm constantly trying new or different bourbons and whiskeys, most recently I'v been enjoying a lot of rye whiskeys.

#30 Posted by rynbeed (143 posts) -

Segrams, 7 Crowns baby.

#31 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Dalwhinnie, any of those really. I do like the "liquid smoke" taste of the the peaty Islay whiskies, but sometimes you want something a bit milder & that's what Dalwhinnie is for.

But honestly I just like to try as many different types of whisky as I can because so much of it is just lovely.

Not got such strong feelings about US or Irish whiskey though. Nice enough but I guess whisky love is a side-effect of growing up near the whisky Mecca of Speyside

#32 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

Some of the favorites are Glenfiddich, Laphroaig, Glenlivet, Tullamore Dew for my Irish Coffee. Ballantines for coke. Currently living across the street from a bar with the largest selection of whiskey in the country, so I'm trying different stuff in addition to my favorites.

#33 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Good ol JD and coke. The JD with honey is delicious as well.

#34 Edited by Franstone (1155 posts) -

Jameson is good and affordable.

I prefer Johnny Walker or Glenfiddich Scotch though...

#35 Edited by SharkEthic (1064 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Wait, is is socially acceptable to play games and drink by yourself?

Don't know about socially acceptable, it is, however, fucking awesome. Getting buzzed and playing Journey for the first time, was one of the best times I've had with a video game all year.

#36 Edited by RWBladewing (119 posts) -

Yamazaki 12 Years, tastes great and makes me feel like Kazuma Kiryu. Not cheap or easy to find but definitely worth it.

Edit: Wish I hadn't seen this at work, have a craving for it now and it's agonizing counting down the hours, haha.

#37 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3994 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I hope so... because I do it!

(No I don't really hope so, I just do it. Good times)

#38 Posted by Sweep (8978 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Yes.

#39 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Tend to just stick with a variety of the single malt scotch brands out there, not too particular on any specific one as they're all pretty good.

#40 Posted by BBAlpert (1577 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I actually drink CBSi, now.

I feel like this deserves more recognition than it got.

#41 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -

For whiskey I prefer Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace or Elmer T. Lee (also make by Buffalo Trace). For whisky I'm partial to Laphroaig when I'm in the mood for big smoke/peat, Macallan if I'm not.

#42 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (514 posts) -

I like rum.

#43 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

If you drink by yourself and play games to you care what society thinks of you? I'm all for boozin' it up solo and playing some games!

At the moment I'm working through the 21 y/o Chivas Regal jubilee colours, halfway through green ;) Not a primary whisky drinker tho, usually a beer for gaming guy.

#44 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I only bring out the whiskey when I am playing a long, campaign style game like Command and Conquer or an RPG.

But when I do - I have a bottle of this...

#45 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I like whiskey, but I'm not a huge drinker and don't have it too often. But when I do my favorite is Laphroaig. I find that as I get older I like hard alcohol less and less, oddly enough. Outside of certain times, I'm just never in the mood for liquor (like I would have been in college). Beer and wine I can generally always drink, though.

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I just finished off my bottle of Johnny Walker Green last month.

I'm usually a gin and tonic kind of guy (hell, gin and anything really) but once the weather turns bearable, it's cigars and whisk(e)y time.

#47 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

Has anyone tried that Jack Daniels whiskey with honey? I saw it in the store and was curious what that was all about and what it tasted like.

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old in my cabinet. I usually have to mix it with something else like an amaretto or something so my throat doesn't dissolve away.

#48 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Jameson

Jack Daniels Honey is a recent thing I've been drinking.

#49 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Jams said:

Has anyone tried that Jack Daniels whiskey with honey? I saw it in the store and was curious what that was all about and what it tasted like.

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old in my cabinet. I usually have to mix it with something else like an amaretto or something so my throat doesn't dissolve away.

It's not bad, it's good for sipping on.

#50 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

gee.you all sound so sophisticated. i usually stick to beer. maybe some red wine if im feeling froggy.