• 108 results
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By jakob187

I am almost completely disappointed at the lack of Ardbeg 10 mentioned by any of the scotch drinkers in here. Have that few tried it, or do that few like it? Personally, it's my absolute favorite Islay. Then again, I still have to try the Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength pretty bad. It's difficult to find where I live, and I mean...I COULD get it imported, but that's fucking expensive.

There's just a great distinction to it. The heavy peat and smoke, the oak, the vanilla and plum, the dried fig. I almost always recommend trying it neat to start, then strawing a drop or two of water in. It really opens up then, and you start getting lavender, grape, almost a fruits and nuts mix with this big bold smoke and peat to it. The flavor just stays on your tongue FOREVER! Seriously, you can take a sip and be settled for at least a solid 10 minutes...ON A 10 YEAR OLD WHISKY!

It's fucking fantastic. I recommend it to everyone.

With that fanboy rant out of the way...looking at my whisky tasting notes, it seems that I still favor both Ardbeg 10 and Glenfiddich 15 Solera over most others. I have continually enjoyed every bottle of 15 Solera I've gotten. Quite enjoy its distinct character: that traditional Glenfiddich tone and nose, but the tongue has that immediate feel of brandy, honey, summer, dried wood, apple, and it's another one that opens up great with a drop or two of water.

@Mirado said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Hunkulese

@TooWalrus said:

Wait, is it socially acceptable to play games and drink by yourself?

If you're by yourself does it matter?

Yes. I don't like having deep dark secrets, like being a closet alcoholic, as most people assume you are when they find out that you were drinking alone.

There's a big difference between drowning your sorrows and liking what Maker's does to the flavor of a coke.

This. If you want to drown your sorrows, you use Johnny Walker and Coke. LOL

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Mirado

@jakob187: I'd probably use Old Grandad or Evan Williams myself, but you do make a fair point. :D

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By jakob187

@Mirado: Evan is more of a "carry a fifth around like a hobo" type of thing to me. LOL With that said, I have a fifth that was given to me as a groomsman present from my cousin's wedding. Still haven't killed it.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Mirado

@jakob187:Consuming enough alcohol to put me into "drown my sorrows" territory also usually puts me into "carry a fifth like a hobo" territory. I'm usually wearing a shirt and tie while I do it because I like to stay classy (ha), but I'd be just as staggering and rambling all the same.

Then again, Evan is so so far down on my list I'm not sure I'd be able to drink enough of it to get myself to that point. I fully understand why you'd be reluctant to kill that bottle.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By kalmis

Glenmorangie or Loch Lomond. both relatively reasonable priced. At least <=12 years old. Don't mind some standard bourbon either, such as JD or JB. Although recently been more into rum's.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By nerdsbeware

@Toxin066 said:

@Sessh said:

My absolute favorite right now is the Chivas Regal 21, although I drink the 12 more often since it's more reasonably priced. (30 Bucks as opposed to about a 100.) I also like the Dewar's 12 and Aberfeldy 12. Also in general I obviously prefer Scotch.

High five for Chivas.

Double high five, that shit is smooth.

I'm a cheap bastard and buy a handle of Dewar's for like $20-25, or Clontarf. I usually just drink JD.

adambyrney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By adambyrney

I''m gonna sound like an absolute savage compared to the people who have posted so far but my main drink is Jack Daniels. Though I have enjoyed Jameson and Red Stag in the past. I've actually noted down some of the bourbons mentioned to try....... some day I will enjoy scotch...its just too harsh/smoky.

So does anyone else here drink regular Jack Daniels or is it too ordinary ?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By eroticfishcake

Pretty sure we've already got twenty other threads like this but whatever, whiskey is awesome.

For the record I drink Jameson's though I'm partial to any other whiskey's really.

Avatar image for spicy_jasonator
spicy_jasonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By spicy_jasonator

I've been drinking Riverboat Rye recently, which is surprisingly good for something you can find for under $20. Rittenhouse Rye is an excellent under $20 as well, but hard to find where I live.