BuckyBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BuckyBall

Hi all!

First, I'd like to introduce myself to my fellow members, but since I'm paranoid about using my real name on the internet, I'm going to stick to my nickname: BuckyBall. 

Now you may think to yourself that BuckyBall is a lame or childish nickname, and you may be right, but judge me not untill you know what a BuckyBall is. A BuckyBall, also known as a Buckminsterfullerene, is a molecular structure composed of  60 carbon atoms linked together in a way that resembes a soccerball. The structure occurs randomly in nature when carbon sources such as wood, coal etc are burnt. The burning of these carbon sources produces black particles suspended in the air which we know as soot.

A BuckyBall, composed of 5 and 6 membered rings such that no two five-membered rings are in contact.

No Caption Provided
As you can see, the classic soccerball is actually the perfect model for the BuckyBall.

Soot is usually composed of five and six membered carbon rings. Random linkages between these rings results in the formation of different molecules, and on very rare occassions, BuckyBalls can form. To me, a BuckyBall is just one example of the strokes of genius  found in nature; where even in the darkest clouds of smoke, you can find the most elegant structures. 

You might have already guessed that I'm somewhat interested in Chemistry, in fact, I'm a second year Science student. However, the information that I had just provided you with can be found on Wikipedia, or with a simple search on Google.

Now that I have resolved the peculiarity regarding my nickname, I  hope to be just another loyal member of GiantBomb. 
BuckyBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BuckyBall

Hi all!

First, I'd like to introduce myself to my fellow members, but since I'm paranoid about using my real name on the internet, I'm going to stick to my nickname: BuckyBall. 

Now you may think to yourself that BuckyBall is a lame or childish nickname, and you may be right, but judge me not untill you know what a BuckyBall is. A BuckyBall, also known as a Buckminsterfullerene, is a molecular structure composed of  60 carbon atoms linked together in a way that resembes a soccerball. The structure occurs randomly in nature when carbon sources such as wood, coal etc are burnt. The burning of these carbon sources produces black particles suspended in the air which we know as soot.

A BuckyBall, composed of 5 and 6 membered rings such that no two five-membered rings are in contact.

No Caption Provided
As you can see, the classic soccerball is actually the perfect model for the BuckyBall.

Soot is usually composed of five and six membered carbon rings. Random linkages between these rings results in the formation of different molecules, and on very rare occassions, BuckyBalls can form. To me, a BuckyBall is just one example of the strokes of genius  found in nature; where even in the darkest clouds of smoke, you can find the most elegant structures. 

You might have already guessed that I'm somewhat interested in Chemistry, in fact, I'm a second year Science student. However, the information that I had just provided you with can be found on Wikipedia, or with a simple search on Google.

Now that I have resolved the peculiarity regarding my nickname, I  hope to be just another loyal member of GiantBomb. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Welcome to GiantBomb you piece of soot. I like BuckyBall and what better place to be than a GiantBomb.

hustheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hustheman

w00t SCIENCE
and my mom works a nanotube company
they are on the wiki page for carbon nanotubes