• 52 results
#1 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

So early on in my childhood I had perfect vision. It wasn't until 6th grade that I couldn't see the board at school because it was so blurry. I got glasses, and they were awesome. I could see perfectly everywhere. However, the next year I found myself squinting with my glasses on because they had become less and less powerful. Now, I have contacts, but even with both in I'm still having to squint in order to see clearly.

Am I going blind or something? What the hell.

#2 Posted by Osaladin (2543 posts) -

No, your eyesight is just getting worse. How close to do you sit to the computer monitor and TV? Do you read a lot of books, maybe with small text?

#3 Posted by Meltbrain (2976 posts) -

It just sounds like your vision is getting worse, man. Apparently it can degrade pretty quick even into your 20's, and then it kinda settles for a while until you get older. Have you had an eye test recently? Maybe book one up soon.

#4 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

Save up for eye surgery.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Osaladin: I spend a lot of time on my laptop, which is on my lap obviously. Could this be making it worse?

Also, I do have eye appointments once every few months or so so that they can check up on my contacts to see if they are fitting right
#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

Does anyone else hate eyes? I can't stand when there's a closeup of an eye in a movie or something. It makes my own eyes water and I just don't like it. I hate even when people talk about eyes. This post doesn't bother me so much but like when people graphically talk about eyes I guess. Anyways, I didn't want to make a new thread about this as it's kinda stupid so I though I would post here about it.

Yes, I am a freak.

#7 Posted by Meltbrain (2976 posts) -
Voxel said:
@Osaladin: I spend a lot of time on my laptop, which is on my lap obviously. Could this be making ... [more]
There's a difference between a contact checkup and getting a proper eye test to fully test the level of your vision, which might alter your prescription. You're supposed to have them about once every year, I think, or when you feel your eyes have suddenly got worse.
#8 Posted by Osaladin (2543 posts) -

Definitely, especially if you have your resolution way up there and everything is displayed small. You don't feel it at the time, but your eyes are really struggling trying to read everything when it is that small. Try making everything a little larger, and remember to relax your eyes every couple of hours, and that doesn't mean stop looking at your laptop and go watch TV. Just let your eyes rest.

#9 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Is it even possible for someone to just go blind? I thought you had to have some sort of infection or disease/disorder to be blind :(

#10 Posted by JackiJinx (3091 posts) -
Voxel said:
Is it even possible for someone to just go blind? I thought you had to have some sort of infection ... [more]
Yes, actually. My mother has the rare genetic disposition that most people just end up getting when they're rather old. It's called macular degeneration. Think of it as reverse tunnel vision, and instead of it happening instantaneously, blindness occurs over time. She didn't know she had it until about her sophomore year in college.

Although this is a remote possibility (it's a one in a million thing), it's more likely something else. Either way, definitely get your eyes checked out again. If the same doctor doesn't help, get a second opinion. Eyes are precious.
#11 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Fuck

I suppose I could make the text on Giant Bomb larger. I made it smaller because for some reason I like smaller text.

#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this. I hope you can get on top of this problem before it starts getting any worse.

#13 Edited by Cloneslayer (1644 posts) -

Your eyes will continue to get worse until you reach a certain age (mid twenties I believe) then it levels out. Thats why they wont let your get eye surgery until then. Dont worry my eyes get worse every year like yours, but it'll stop soon.

Hopfully you arent past the point where they are suppose to level out...

#14 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Cloneslayer: I don't think so, I'm 14
#15 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -

Welcome to the Astigmatism club! With your 10% discount on glasses, would you like you welcome gift to be a cake or a pie? We hope you enjoy your stay and that you try not to draw too much attention to yourself, because our 10 million other memebers have gotten over themselves and would like you to also get over yourself! /sarcasm

You've probably got astigmatism, it's nothing really, I've lived with it and it's no problem. Your cornea is misshapen, making things blurry, the longer you go undiagnosed, the worst it'll get.

#16 Posted by Cloneslayer (1644 posts) -
@natetodamax:

Then dont worry about it. As long as you do healthy eye practices and keep up to date on your prescriptions, the decrease in eye sight can be kept to a minimal. Then like I said they should stop decreasing around your mid twenties. Definenitly don't wait to get your prescription updated, because if its bad your eyes get worse faster.
#17 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
ahriman22 said:
Welcome to the Astigmatism club! With your 10% discount on glasses, would you like you welcome gift to be a ... [more]
You contradicted yourself there
#18 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6310 posts) -

No, no matter how many times you do it, you can't go blind. It's a myth.

#19 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Playing with yourself will cause blindness.

Fact.

#20 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
Voxel said:
ahriman22 said: Welcome to the Astigmatism club! With your 10% discount on glasses, would you like you welcome gift to ... [more]
Gee, don't bother reading the whole post and don't bother taking into account that I was being sarcastic. 
#21 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@ahriman22: Detecting sarcasm over the internet is not the easiest thing in the world.
#22 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

It is when they put /sarcasm at the end of a post....

#23 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Can't go wrong with glasses. Just update your prescription.

#24 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
Voxel said:
FuckI suppose I could make the text on Giant Bomb larger. I made it smaller because for some reason I ... [more]
Smaller text strains your eyes.
#25 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Most peoples eyes never remain perfect and will often require some sort of correction lens or surgery to resolve it when they get older. With this generation of kids who live behind a computer or a tv it will only get worse. Take breaks between watching TV, playing games or being on the computer and just rest your eyes. Mine have gotten worse over the years and I blame Sega Genesis but will eventually end up getting PRK or Lasik surgery.

#26 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@dcpc10: I think I get those sometimes.
#27 Edited by Dyergram (26 posts) -
maybe you just need a new prescription of contacts go to your optitian and see what they suggest. Also CTRL + MOUSE WHEEL is your friend.
#28 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I get those on occassion hell family guy even made fun of em, think they are quite common

#29 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Dyergram: Thanks, but I've already made the text much bigger. The fact that your message was black on a black background made it even harder to read.
#30 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
Voxel said:
@ahriman22: Detecting sarcasm over the internet is not the easiest thing in the world.
I put /sarcasm at the end of my opening statement
#31 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@ahriman22: I did not even see that. Sorry
#32 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -
@natetodamax: Ah, explains the confusion.
#33 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
@natetodamax: Nah, just sounds like your vision is going.
#34 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Wussup Ray Charles!?

#35 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

My eyes continued to get worse until I was around 15 or 16.  Some people go longer, that's why you should be a certain age before getting eye corrective surgery.  Your eyes need to fully develop.  Or so I've been told.

#36 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

You may want to go out and get a stronger pair of glasses, time for you to make a trip to the eye doctors.

#37 Edited by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

My eyes have always been bad, and there is nothing I can do about it. :(  I look better with glasses, but it doesn't really hide how ugly I really am. lol.

You might have hysteria!! lol. Just kidding!

#38 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
Voxel said:
@Osaladin: I spend a lot of time on my laptop, which is on my lap obviously. Could this be making ... [more]
If you have eye appointments every few months you have a heavily dwindling vision, normal people get them once a year, with multiple visits in a year only if the Doctor suspects your vision is worsening. Save up for an operation (if it is a viable option). But the best advice I can give is always follow your doctor's order and keep going to him/her, specially when you are older so you are always on the safe side (specially on things like glaucoma that tend to happen to people like you.
#39 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -
JJWeatherman said:
Does anyone else hate eyes? I can't stand when there's a closeup of an eye in a movie or something. ... [more]
Omfg man, when I see someones eyes water or they get something stuck in it, mine start to water, so I sort of have the same problem lol.
#40 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
Voxel said:
So early on in my childhood I had perfect vision. It wasn't until 6th grade that I couldn't see the ... [more]
Quit jacking off & maybe you'll get your vision back.

Cloneslayer said:
Your eyes will continue to get worse until you reach a certain age (mid twenties I believe) then it levels ... [more]

They don't level off until your mid-30's. 

If you sit in front of computers all day long for a living, then getting eye surgery done is pointless. You'll just be using reading glasses to see the screen all day long.  Plus, a lot of people I've talked to that had eye surgery have complained about their eyes being dry all the time.  I'd rather just wait until I'm very old & don't have a choice to get laser eye surgery or lenses put in, since I don't want to take pills or drops every day for the rest of my life for dry eyes.

#41 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

If his next post is something like "hsdasfds fsfdaff!!!" then we'll know the worst has happened.

#42 Posted by ishotmrburns (279 posts) -
JJWeatherman said:
Does anyone else hate eyes? I can't stand when there's a closeup of an eye in a movie or something. ... [more]

#43 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

If eyes bother you go watch Un Chien Andalou a couple times and you'll be fine.

#44 Posted by ishotmrburns (279 posts) -
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
If eyes bother you go watch Un Chien Andalou a couple times and you'll be fine.
I was gonna post a pic of that, but, well, you know.
#45 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

Black leather glove. Lady's ass. Black leather glove lady's ass.

#46 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

Same thing happened to me. Your eyes are just getting worse and worse. It's normal but they'll stop getting worse at a certain age.

#47 Posted by armaan8014 (5443 posts) -
JJWeatherman said:

Hey me too!  If i see someone crying or with watery eyes my eyes start burning as well.

But the strange thing is that ive been on the computer since my childhood and have always read books while lying on the bed. But my eyes are still perfect.

#48 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

See a optometrist, start eating fish, fresh fruit and vegetables more, and take supplements if you can, there are specific ones which help. You could have a number of conditions which could be more serious than you think, it's better to find out as soon as possible.  If it's as quick as you suggest it could be rapid macular degeneration which is rare in young people.

#49 Posted by Nick (696 posts) -
Voxel said:
Is it even possible for someone to just go blind? I thought you had to have some sort of infection ... [more]

Maybe you DO have an infection or a disease or something!
#50 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Kids eyes change regularly. Under 18 year olds should have their eyes checked every 6 months, and will most likely need new glasses every time they get their eyes checked when they're at the young end of that. As you get older, your eyes will balance out and be fairly stable until you hit your 40's/50's when they start to change again. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. You're not going blind. It's perfectly normal.