• 59 results
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I was eating this cookie dough from out of the tube and I got bored so I decided to read the nutritional information on the cookie dough and it said not to eat raw cookie dough.

Is it possible to be cookie dough poisoned?

#2 Edited by MAGZine (436 posts) -

Cookie dough contains raw egg, which has a chance of carrying salmonella.

You could get salmonella poisoning, but it's not really life-threatening. It'll make you sick for a bit and not much else. Usually raw egg is fine... I eat cookie dough all the time.

#3 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

You could get salmonella or another food poisoning, but I don't think you will die unless you have really bad cholesterol or diabetes or something attune to those.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

In twenty minutes, you will explode into bits.

You'll be fine. Most likely.

#5 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (373 posts) -

...Damn but it was too late.....

#6 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

It's said that on the packaging for years now. If it does kill you, it takes quite a few years to kick in.

Also baking the cookies is good to do. Makes your house/apartment smell nice.

#7 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

You should be fine as long as you have a medkit to rub on yourself.

#8 Posted by Jimmi (166 posts) -

Induce vomiting. Ipecac preferably. Take a video and post it here. For science.

#9 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

You could get salmonella from the raw egg, but seriously, there's a very, very slim chance of that. So go ahead and eat it.

I prefer cookie dough over cookies.

#10 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -
#11 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4930 posts) -

You are already dead.

#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Worry about it when you're actively dying.

#13 Posted by Aetheldod (3513 posts) -

:( nice meeting you

#14 Posted by edwardt (62 posts) -

Only other problem is that raw flour isnt so good for you to digest.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

They put that warning there because they don't want people to find out how delicious it is and get addicted. They do the same thing with silica gel.

#16 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

You could get salmonella poisoning, but it's not really life-threatening. It'll make you sick for a bit and not much else. Usually raw egg is fine... I eat cookie dough all the time.

Actually, it can kill you quite dead.

#17 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

In these situations you're supposed to put one in your brain. Lest you become...one of them.

#18 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@MAGZine said:

It can, but it won't. He has a better chance of going outside and getting hit by a car.

#19 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

Raw egg always carries a chance of salmonella, just like rare meat carries a chance of e-coli. But it's just that, a chance. So hey, roll the dice if you're feeling lucky. I personally prefer my meat well done and my eggs cooked, so I've never had cause to worry about it.

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I hasn't killed me so far and I don't think it will kill ...me, excuse me 'reads a comment' 

@DillonWerner said:

You could get salmonella or another food poisoning, but I don't think you will die unless you have really bad cholesterol or diabetes or something attune to those.

Well fuck, then I guess I am gonna die. 
Oh well, I can think of worse ways to die. 
#21 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

You'll be fine as long as you don't eat the little anthropomorphic dough ball in the hat that's been talking to you since you bought the tube.

#22 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Depends on how much you ate. However, you will most likely be fine.

#23 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@McGhee said:

@MAGZine said:

It can, but it won't. He has a better chance of going outside and getting hit by a car.

Yeah, so why not run around in fields during thunder storms too?

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? "Hey there is something out there that is more dangerous. So this less dangerous thing is just fine!"

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I HAVE THE ANTIDOTE, YOU JUST ATE POISON!

#25 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@McGhee said:

@MAGZine said:

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? "Hey there is something out there that is more dangerous. So this less dangerous thing is just fine!"

This is apples & oranges territory.

Raw cookie dough: Worth the risk!

#26 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

I like how your first reaction is to ask GB.

#27 Posted by MAGZine (436 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@MAGZine said:

If don't sleep or hydrate yourself, then yes, salmonella will kill you quite dead. But if you drink your water and get your sleep, the chances are enormously in your favor that you will not, in fact, be killed dead.

#28 Posted by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Do you live in a plastic bubble? I mean really these sentences, in a thread about raw cookie dough no less, just astound me. Unless you're joking. I hope you're joking.

#29 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

Do you live in a plastic bubble? I mean really these sentences, in a thread about raw cookie dough no less, just astound me. Unless you're joking. I hope you're joking.

I didn't know there was a raw cookie dough jihad going on. I just pointed out that it is not the best idea. -__-

#30 Posted by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

I didn't know there was a raw cookie dough jihad going on. I just pointed out that it is not the best idea. -__-

But you compared eating raw cookie dough to running around in a field during a thunderstorm. Even if you're exaggerating, that's kinda nuts.

Now I don't know the numbers, but I'm willing to wager that, lets just keep this limited to the years I've been alive, so lets say during the last 25 years the number of people that died due to thunderstorms is way higher than the number of people that died from diseases they got eating raw cookie dough both collectively and proportionally.

#31 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

Anybody ever eat raw cookie dough in a thunderstorm?

Because it sounds awesome.

#32 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

But you compared eating raw cookie dough to running around in a field during a thunderstorm. Even if you're exaggerating, that's kinda nuts.

Now I don't know the numbers, but I'm willing to wager that, lets just keep this limited to the years I've been alive, so lets say during the last 25 years the number of people that died due to thunderstorms is way higher than the number of people that died from diseases they got eating raw cookie dough both collectively and proportionally.

The point was not to compare the dangers in terms of numbers in eating raw cookie dough to running in a field during a thunderstorm, but to say "why take unnecessary risks?" But I rarely eat cookies and never cookie dough. So get your dough and go at it. Whatever.

#33 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

i've tried to kill Lord British before, it can't be done.

doubt cookie dough will fair any better.

#34 Posted by Harkat (1100 posts) -

Bye

#35 Posted by SithToast (166 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

You are already dead.

#36 Posted by Harkat (1100 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I GOT THE POISON

I GOT THE REMEDY

I GOT THE PULSATING RHYTHMICAL REMEDY

#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@McGhee said:

The point was not to compare the dangers in terms of numbers in eating raw cookie dough to running in a field during a thunderstorm, but to say "why take unnecessary risks?" But I rarely eat cookies and never cookie dough. So get your dough and go at it. Whatever.

What in the holy hell are you talking about? I'm just saying, statistically, he's more likely to be hit by a car than get salmonella poisoning. And he's not very likely to get hit by a car. I wasn't advocating him to 'take a risk' and eat cookie dough (which is ridiculous sounding as it is), I was merely pointing out that there's not much of a risk to begin with.

Bottom line, yes, you can get salmonella. You probably won't. But even if you do, the chance of death is so extremely rare that it's not worth worrying about. Most likely, you'd just get diarrhea for a day or two.

#38 Posted by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Unnecessary I agree with. Risk, not so much. In my mind the eating raw cookie dough is as risky as eating anything else is. Particularly things like fruits or veggies that you'd eat raw, or eating food that someone else has cooked/handled like in a restaurant. There's always a small chance something might be bad about it, but I never think about that. Maybe my mind is wrong about that. But I mean they have cookie dough ice cream which just has chunks of cookie dough in it, right? Eh I'm thinking way to much about this.

And I don't mean to be a dick about this. Sorry if I'm coming off that way. I just found that quote fascinating.

#39 Edited by Mikemcn (6958 posts) -

1 in 10,000 eggs contains Salmonella. So when you're at home, and you put an egg in cookie dough and eat it, you most likely will never get salmonella.

However, the company that made that cookie dough brings in 30,000 eggs everyday, mixes them all together, and makes huge batches of dough. The chances that you got at least part of those 3 tainted eggs is relatively large in that circumstance.

So don't eat raw cookie dough you buy in the store.

#40 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I've always thought cookie dough to a strange thing. Who ever looked at unbaked cookie dough and thought "I'll eat that."

#41 Edited by Whampire (58 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

I've always thought cookie dough to a strange thing. Who ever looked at unbaked cookie dough and thought "I'll eat that."

Me.

In this line of thinking, though, who would ever want to eat guacamole?

#42 Edited by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish:

Fuck it.

EDIT: NOT THE DOUGH!!!!

I mean, have a 'fuck it' attitude about eating the dough.

Whew.

#43 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Cookie dough, bake that shit.

#44 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

You'll be fine, there's a tiny risk you'll get salmonella from the raw egg in it. I wouldn't consider eating it regularly as part of your diet, because then you might actually get something serious.

#45 Posted by Freshbandito (655 posts) -

@Harkat said:

@Phatmac said:

I GOT THE POISON

I GOT THE REMEDY

God Bless you.

Anyway don't go around eating raw cookie dough, this is why developed nations are so obese...

#46 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@Whampire said:

@eroticfishcake said:

Me.

In this line of thinking, though, who would ever want to eat guacamole?

Aztecs...alternatively you can slap it on your face provided that you're a middle-aged woman desperately trying to cling onto youth.

Spray on cheese though? Now that's just taking the piss.

#47 Posted by RazielCuts (2937 posts) -
#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36051 posts) -

It's a conspiracy. They don't want you to eat the cookie dough because they want it all for themselves. Who are they? Those fucking Keebler elves. Who else did you expect?

#49 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

I'm sitting here starting to feel like I might die if I don't eat some raw cookie dough.

#50 Posted by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

@Freshbandito said:

@Harkat said:

@Phatmac said:

I GOT THE POISON

I GOT THE REMEDY

God Bless you.

Anyway don't go around eating raw cookie dough, this is why developed nations are so obese...

Heh. At first I thought you might've been talking about this... Now I want to pass the torture onto others. I'm a terrible person.