• 100 results
#1 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

I'm off to go watch Paranormal Activity 3 in a couple of hours...on my own. My girlfriend hates scary films and wont come and all of my friends are busy and don't wanna go either. I really want to go see this and kinda don't wanna wait months for it to come to DVD/ Blu-Ray.

So am I sad person for going to watch a film in the cinema on my own?

#2 Posted by SuperSambo (2868 posts) -

Lots of people do it, but id personally feel odd doing so.

Just make sure you tell the person selling you your ticket that you have friends.

#3 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

I never fully understood the social need to watch movies with other people. You're there to pay attention to the damn screen, not the person sitting next to you.

#4 Posted by KarlPilkington (2733 posts) -

I went on my own to the cinema a couple of weeks ago for the first time, if you want to watch a film just go and watch it. You shouldn't have to take friends along to do what you want to do.

#5 Posted by Enai (194 posts) -

To be fair I've never done it, but you won't have anyone to talk about the film with if that's your thing. I know some people hate that anyway cos like Slaker said you're there to watch... Good luck though I wouldn't see that shit on my own. You're a bigger man than me!

#6 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I guess I could see me doing it if it was a movie I really wanted to see and my friends for some reason absolutely did not want to see.

Eating alone at a restaurant however, I could never do, I envy people that can though, I am way too self conscious.

#7 Posted by EveretteScott (1497 posts) -

@XenoNick said:

I'm off to go watch Paranormal Activity 3 in a couple of hours...on my own. My girlfriend hates scary films and wont come and all of my friends are busy and don't wanna go either. I really want to go see this and kinda don't wanna wait months for it to come to DVD/ Blu-Ray.

Are you sure 'sad person' is the word coupling you're going for?

#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Your title reminds me of this:

#9 Posted by porterpj (16 posts) -

I do it all the time, my taste in films doesn't match well with anyone else I know. Why should you miss out because of other people? Nobody is going to care that you're on your own - it's all in your head.

#10 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

@EveretteScott: Not really...I just wasn't sure how to word this.

#11 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Do what you want.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11136 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I never fully understood the social need to watch movies with other people. You're there to pay attention to the damn screen, not the person sitting next to you.

This man speaks the truth!

#13 Posted by EveretteScott (1497 posts) -

@XenoNick said:

@EveretteScott: Not really...I just wasn't sure how to word this.

If it matters I did understand what you meant.

#14 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

No.

I never understood the issue with seeing a movie on your own at a cinema.

You see movies by yourself all the time at your house don't you?

What makes the cinema different?

You have a girlfriend and friends, they just don't want to go see that one movie.

I think it would be sadder if you couldn't enjoy the movie just because you don't have people watching it with you.

#15 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@XenoNick said:

No, but this is a stupid question. Call me crazy, but i actually prefer going alone.

#16 Posted by Pezen (1612 posts) -

Going to the movies by yourself is fine, I would do it if there was a movie only I wanted to watch.

Still, why the hell would that movie be the third movie in a shitty "found footage" franchise?

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

This. Most of the time I go alone.

#18 Posted by yinstarrunner (1205 posts) -

I don't see how that's sad. You have friends and a girlfriend who simply aren't interested in the movie you want to see. I also went to see PA3 tonight, alone because i have no friends, and i don't even give a Fuck.

#19 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Slaker117 said:

This man speaks the truth!

Indeed.

PS.The Paranormal Activity movies aren't scary.

#20 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

When I was working freelance and was off during most mornings my girlfriend wouldn't go to see Lord of the Rings so I went to see 2 & 3 during the day by myself. I wasn't worried as long as I wasn't in cosplay I couldn't;t be the saddest person there.

#21 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

If you care, why not wait until your friends are free? They can't be that busy.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

Nope. Totally fine.

#23 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4798 posts) -

I hate going to the cinema with other people. They are noisy, always want to sit at the back and take up arm rest space.

I went to see Cloverfield by myself, sat right at the front smack in the middle. Best cinema experience ever.

#24 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

Lots of people do it, but id personally feel odd doing so.

Just make sure you tell the person selling you your ticket that you have friends.

He also should tell that person that he in fact has a girlfriend.

#25 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Deleth: And that they are already in the theater eagerly waiting for him to join them because he's the life of the party.

#26 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry said:

@Deleth: And that they are already in the theater eagerly waiting for him to join them because he's the life of the party.

He could set his handy clock, so it rings while he's buying his ticket. Then he could act like his friends called him asking what's taking him so long.

#27 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I've never gone and seen a movie all by myself and I don't think any different of people who do.

#28 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Deleth: Buy 4-5 bags of popcorn and some nachos too, while talking to the person at the register about how frustrating it is having to buy all the snacks for his friends and girlfriend. While also complaining about how his girlfriend says nachos make her feel chubby but she eats them anyway. Then ask for extra butter on a 1-2 of the bags of popcorn as well while stating that they are for his friends who are like extra buttery popcorn.

Edit: Wrong person Vegsen sorry :P

#29 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

I never did it but I see no problem with it, movies aren't really a social event and anyway I don't think any of the other strangers in the theatre cares if some person watches the movie alone.

#30 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: He may even make new friends with chatty moviegoers :P that should be shot for trying to be social when there's a movie going on -_-

Do I need to say that I was joking on the last part? I hope it is obvious enough :P

#31 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I do it a lot, sometimes there is just a movie that comes out and you're the only person who wants to see it, own it.

Friday or Saturday night alone at the movies = creep. Otherwise you're in the clear.

#32 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I've never gone to a cinema alone, so I don't know, I'd feel weird.

#33 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2107 posts) -

Not really. I mean I personally don't even like watching films at my own house alone and can barely watch TV alone... I dunno why, but I have always felt it was more of an experience suited best as a group activity...even when I am at home... I can buy a movie that I am interested in, and it may sit on the coffee table for weeks before I get a chance to watch it with someone.

#34 Edited by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

No, I don't think its sad. If its a comedy I go with my friends and/or family, I enjoy laughing with them, but other genres I go by myself.

#35 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6301 posts) -

I don't see a problem with it. I mean, it's not like you're that isolated. It's just circumstantial.

#36 Posted by TeamJersey (340 posts) -

Nothing wrong with this.

#37 Edited by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Everyone knows the movie theater is just an excuse to do naughty things in public.

#38 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

No you're not. All of us who go with a girlfriend (or wife or whatever you have) always look at you people who went alone and think "Fuck you, I had to pay for two tickets and a bunch of popcorn, cokes and candy. . You're so lucky you only have to pay for one person" :P

#39 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@XenoNick: I went to the cinema alone once, in my teenage years. It felt weird. I don't think I want to do it again.

#40 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1005 posts) -

@XenoNick: I do it all the time for the exact same reason. A lot of my friends and my girlfriend don't like scary movies, so I go alone. No biggie, I actually prefer it than them making snide comments about how stupid those movies are or cackling the whole time.

#41 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I prefer to watch movies alone but I usually go to the theater with friends. At least if I go with some friends I won't want to kill everyone there. I hate movie crowds.

#42 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

What kind of stupid question is that? Are you legally oblidge to go with someone? No? Sheesh , people you can go to places alone if you want to
#43 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

Got back from cinema about three hours ago or so and actually enjoyed the film a lot. Screen wasn't very busy either. Only about 8-10 other people in the screen.

#44 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

What's sad is worrying about what people think of you.

#45 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i go to the movie alone often everone enjoys things their own way.

#46 Posted by Stingraymond (85 posts) -

Yeah super sad. You should kill yourself.

You should kill yourself.

#47 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Never even realized it could be considered sad...

#48 Posted by FollowSmoke (40 posts) -

This is something a teenager would worry about. There's nothing wrong with watching by yourself; hell, I prefer it. Quit thinking so much about what other people think of you... especially when you don't even know them.

#49 Posted by Barrock (3540 posts) -

I actually went to Rise of the Planet of the Apes by myself while my girlfriend was at work a while ago. It's not sad. It's a different experience for sure though.

#50 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Not a big deal, I've gone to see movies by myself all the time (I am a sad person, but that's beside the point).