• 100 results
#51 Posted by Creamypies (4088 posts) -

I've never done it, but I don't see it as sad. Like people have said, if you want to do something... don't let anything stop you from doing it.

Like, if you wanna go and shank some dude for eyeing up your girl... go and fucking do it man. I mean... err...

#52 Posted by Hellstrom (199 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I never fully understood the social need to watch movies with other people. You're there to pay attention to the damn screen, not the person sitting next to you.

Watching movies with friends > Watching movies alone.

For example, The Grudge was a horrible film. But because i went with friends. We were able to make The Grudge one of the greatest movies ever with our commentary parodying every aspect of the film. There are also times when the crowd you're with also make the movie better. I remember seeing a couple horror films and hearing people burst out some of the most random hilarious shit.

#53 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Whats the point of taking other people? I usually go alone, and have to put up with people who just don't shut up during a film. Went to see 'the thing' prequel/remake-ish, and for the first time in my life- had to go to the manager for these two middle aged ladies who just WOULD NOT SHUT THE HELL UP! If theater ticket prices are possibly going up again in the near future, I want my money to be well spent. A 3d movie here costs right about 9$. Most major new movies can be bought for 13$ or less within a month of a movies release.

#54 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Hellstrom: Ok, for horror movies and comedies I can totally see the appeal, but as someone more into plot heavy dramas, I don't feel like I gain anything going with friends. More often than not I do end up going with a group, but that doesn't stop me from going alone on occasion.
#55 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

I just did this Drive. If you want to see the movie, go see the movie

#56 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I've been the only one in the theater a couple of times. One was Dances With Wolves, it was awesome. But in truth, I've went alone most of the time.

#57 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

You will be sad because the film is dreck. They did give us a Paranormal Activia Yoghurt made with 6% ectoplasm, which was nice.

#58 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I never fully understood the social need to watch movies with other people. You're there to pay attention to the damn screen, not the person sitting next to you.

Exactly. In fact I prefer to watch most movies alone.

#59 Posted by Dport (102 posts) -

Hell No, By yourself is fine. My wife hates movies and I would never get to go if that was the case.

#60 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

@Dport: Why does she hate movies as a concept?

#61 Posted by Dport (102 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Dport: Why does she hate movies as a concept?

Her initial thought is a movie will go for roughly one and a half hours and what else could she be doing in that time. She like her shows in 30 minutes bursts. Her 2nd though is depending on what movie it is. Could be Too Violent, too scary to real etc...

So for us to watch a movie together it either need to be on her terms / Choice or I need to feed her enough Wine that she will watch anything.

Also how come when I type the word movie, it show as a spelling mistake. :)

#62 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I know right!?

#63 Edited by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@XenoNick said:

I'm off to go watch Paranormal Activity 3 in a couple of hours...on my own. My girlfriend hates scary films and wont come and all of my friends are busy and don't wanna go either. I really want to go see this and kinda don't wanna wait months for it to come to DVD/ Blu-Ray.

So am I sad person for going to watch a film in the cinema on my own?

I specifically picked this thread based on its title alone with the idea that I was going to give you shit for asking such a lame, sissified little question.

...but I feel a little nicer for some reason as I type this.

...but fucking still man...

#65 Edited by Daveyo520 (6924 posts) -
#66 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -
#67 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I feel like we need to put an expiration date on threads so they can't be necro'd a year and a half after they stopped being relevant.

#68 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Yeah, they really need an auto-lock date on threads. this shit is ridiculous, this is like the third thread i clicked thats over a year old. WTF

#69 Posted by Bollard (5746 posts) -

@darthorange: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you aren't even a Necro-bot. WHY YOU DO THIS

#70 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@XenoNick said:

I'm off to go watch Paranormal Activity 3 in a couple of hours...on my own. My girlfriend hates scary films and wont come and all of my friends are busy and don't wanna go either. I really want to go see this and kinda don't wanna wait months for it to come to DVD/ Blu-Ray.

So am I sad person for going to watch a film in the cinema on my own?

I specifically picked this thread based on its title alone with the idea that I was going to give you shit for asking such a lame, sissified little question.

...but I feel a little nicer for some reason as I type this.

...but fucking still man...

Why you gotta be so mean bro?

Also to the OP, it is a little sad. I could never do it. Maybe I am sad?

I don't even remember saying this.

#71 Posted by XenoNick (1478 posts) -

Ok can someone lock this? Not really needed anymore. Me not sad person no more.

#72 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@xenonick said:

Ok can someone lock this? Not really needed anymore. Me not sad person no more.

I think the issue you raised of whether it is sad to go to the movies alone still has merit, and if I were to start a new topic to discuss this same thing I would be breaking forum rules.

So did you go to the movies alone? What was the experience like? Do you continue to do so on a regular basis? Do you prefer it like some of the other people in this thread?

#73 Posted by XenoNick (1478 posts) -

@darthorange: Ok you have a fair point there. So to answer: Yeah I ended up going on my own. It was a late afternoon screening so it wasn't crowded (plus PA3 had been out for a while). Couple of people in there seemed to jump at every little thing which was a bit annoying but otherwise it was fine. I was considering doing the same thing for PA4 last year but never bothered, seems like a good thing too. The one thing I missed was having someone to talk about the film after. Haven't been on my own since but if I had to I wouldn't mind it.

#74 Posted by ShaggE (6626 posts) -

Nothing wrong with going to the theater alone. People watch movies alone at home constantly, so why shouldn't they be able to do the same at a theater? Same goes for restaurants. Maybe you're out and about and you just want a good meal all of a sudden.

#75 Posted by Rorie (3169 posts) -

I usually prefer to see movies by myself, honestly, especially in theaters that are mostly empty. Just less of a hassle.

Staff
#76 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

@rorie: Are you sad, Rorie?

(I also go to movies alone sometimes. Am I sad?)

#77 Edited by rentfn (1283 posts) -

I go to the movies alone a lot. I draw the line at going to a sit down restaurant alone.

#78 Posted by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

It's fine (as long as it isn't a kid's movie or something). Usually the people who have a problem with this sort of thing are very insecure themselves and spend most of their lives worrying about what everybody else thinks. Fuck those people - do what you wanna do.

#79 Edited by expensiveham (294 posts) -

You watch movies at home alone don't you? No difference really. I watched Django Unchained alone and did not think it was weird.

#80 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5899 posts) -

No.

#81 Posted by Sgtpierceface (639 posts) -

I want this thread to live forever.

#82 Posted by Kidavenger (3599 posts) -

I used to go alone to movies I couldn't find anyone to go with (Fight Club if you could believe it), now I couldn't even bother, just wait till it comes out on Bluray because most movies I would have seen in the theater I tend to buy when they come out anyway.

#83 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

@rentfn said:

I go to the movies alone a lot. I draw the line at going to a sit down restaurant alone.

Ha, I've done that. It was weird. I got strange looks. Probably should have just gotten take-out.

#85 Posted by audioBusting (1639 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

@rentfn said:

Ha, I've done that. It was weird. I got strange looks. Probably should have just gotten take-out.

I sit down alone at a restaurant a lot, but can't get myself to watch a movie alone.. It's strange to see that many people feel the other way around.

#86 Edited by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

I find it so annoying when people think they are sad that they go to the movies by themselves.

When you will be like me, 22 years old, fat, ugly, unemployeed, stay in house all day with no friends because you make a fool of yourself to everyone, so you just sit on your ass all day long listening to music hoping for better things but not doing anything because you are a lazy worthless fuck, THEN consider yourself a sad person.

Oh, and I have always been to the movies by my own. (assuming I actually go to them, since I usually just watch them at home months later).

#87 Edited by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

@rentfn said:

I've done that a few times, and yeah, you do get strange looks on occasion.

Though, I actually have a bit of an odd story involving sitting alone at a sit down restaurant. A few years ago, I inadvertently became "that guy" at a diner. I had just finished up a week as a camp councilor at a kids camp, and one of the kids had effectively given me strep throat due to just coughing everywhere halfway into the week. So, at this point, I was driving a few hundred miles home with a broken voice that sounds like an old Jazz singer, and lo and behold, I get a flat tire.

I get out and find that the screws on the tire are in there really good. Thus, when I use the tire iron to loosen them, I have to put my whole body into it. And for one of the screws, I slip and cut my hand on the metal of the tire. This gets blood and grease on my white shirt and shorts. Eventually, I successfully get the spare on, and I keep on down the road to find a nearby Walmart where they can replace my tire.

While I waited on that, I went to a local restaurant down the street from the store to find some much-needed food. I sit down, look at the menu, barely get out my order to the waiter, and then look around.

I realize... I am "that guy". That guy sitting alone at a sit down restaurant. I'm that guy who looks like they have a damn story, because I'm some guy who sounds like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade scarfing on a sandwich like a hungry animal while wearing a blood-covered camp uniform sitting alone at a sit down restaurant.

Needless to say, I got some strange looks.

#88 Posted by gamefreak9 (2396 posts) -

If you want to get something done, do it yourself :P.

#89 Edited by InfamousBIG (3217 posts) -

Yeah super sad. You should kill yourself.

You should kill yourself.

On topic, I didn't know this was a thing until recently. No, I don't think so. I think it's weird that this is so much a thing. Dude, some movies are awesome. And sometimes you want to see it now, but no one else does, or is available. So go watch the fucking movie. Goddamn it all.

#90 Posted by dudeglove (8141 posts) -

Eating alone at a restaurant however, I could never do, I envy people that can though, I am way too self conscious.

I know where you're coming from; as an expat and after spending enough time being lazy and not wanting to cook or whatever, I can tell you that you eventually get over the sensation of "Oh god those waitresses must all think I'm a sad bastard coming in here on my own."

Start yourself off gently with lunches and bring a book or whatever rather than staring into space.

#91 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Greatest movie experience of my life was seeing Batman Begins alone.

#92 Edited by Hunter5024 (5893 posts) -

During the movie itself it's totally fine. However I find everything outside of the film kind of shitty. Walking around the mall, going to get some food, walking home, all of these activities are greatly improved by company.

#93 Posted by Nick (681 posts) -

Just make sure you tell the person selling you your ticket that you have friends.

lol

#94 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1554 posts) -

If you spend your whole life worrying about what other people think, you'll have missed out on some of the best parts of living. Just be logical about it, you will most likely never see or think about any of the people you randomly come across ever again, and vice versa. So stop worrying and start doing.

#95 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Going to the movies alone is great--I like go alone a few times a year now.

#96 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

i prefer going to the movies on my own at an isolated time. it's like having an entire movie theatre for yourself.

#97 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

If you spend your whole life worrying about what other people think, you'll have missed out on some of the best parts of living. Just be logical about it, you will most likely never see or think about any of the people you randomly come across ever again, and vice versa. So stop worrying and start doing.

YEP! YEP! YEP! i cannot say "yep" enough!
these are LITERALLY the exact words that i used as a mantra. through it i overcame insecurity and anxiety.

#98 Posted by kristov_romanov (464 posts) -

I don't get why people get their testes in such a twist over this "necro" stuff....

#99 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

I don't go to the movies often, but the last several times I went it was alone. I'm a fairly self-conscious person to be honest, but that doesn't bother me at all.

#100 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (332 posts) -

I prefer to go to the movies alone. Last thing I need is a friend in one of my ears the whole way through. That's also the last time they'd be my friend.