• 74 results
#1 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I thought they were actually very well done. I love the symbolism and art/visual direction. The fight scenese were just as good if not better than the first movie. I thought the plot was pretty good and the acting wasn't bad at all. 

Smith's speech at the end of the third movie when he asks "why?" sends shivers down my spine every time is see it, one of the greatest speeches in a movie imo. 

I feel like people just hate the 2 sequels just beacuse other people tell them they suck and they don't actually make opionions for themselves. I believe that to be true is almost any situation, but the matrix in particular doesn't deserve the hate that it gets. 

People even shit on the animatrix. SERIOUSLY! How could someone not like the animatrix, it was the best collaboration film ive ever seen and definatley one of the top 5 animes ive seen. The shorts called 'The Second Renaissance were absolutley brilliant.
#2 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
How could someone not like the animatrix  
I thought it sucked, but that's me. 

I saw the second Matrix in theaters and thought it was amazing and then when I watched it again on DVD it didn't seem as good.
#3 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Yes your the only one who likes it.

#4 Edited by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

I consider myself a Matrix fan. I enjoy Reloaded often enough.  Revolutions gets a bit tiresome with the melodrama and the angst.  I've finished all the games too. The in-between stuff is what impressed me the most.
There's a few episodes in Animatrix I really like, but most just freak me out.  They're definitely well written, and I figure that's what will really happen with AI.

#5 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I loved the action scenes and music in the 2nd one.  3rd one didn't do much for me at all.

#6 Posted by punkxblaze (2955 posts) -

Yes.

#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

T Hey were not in the direction the series should have gone for. T Hey were good action flicks but not as great as the first one.

#8 Posted by EVO (3862 posts) -

Reloaded was awesome. 

Revolutions can suck a dick.

#9 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Yes your the only one who likes it. "
#10 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Brackynews said:
There's a few episodes in Animatrix I really like, but most just freak me out.  They're definitely well written, and I figure that's what will really happen with AI. "
My favorite is actually the one "World Record." It just blew my mind, maybe its because I can relate to it as an athlete.
#11 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Personally, I think the three of them + Animatrix suck shit.

#12 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

2nd one was more action, but not very good overall.  3rd one was like... they tried to make it epic by doing big battles and stuff, but like... it was so typical...

#13 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

You like both? Then yes. I thought Reloaded was pretty freaking awful. I thought it really took stuff to a whole new level of stupid. Revolutions stepped back into reality and I think it had much better action and special effects. I felt everything was downgraded with Reloaded. The story got less interesting, the action got cheesier and less entertaining, the film had some poor dialogue and abandoned all of the cool cinematography shown in the original. I even thought the special effects dropped a notch. The first film had outstanding camera work, but I felt that detail was certainly missing in Reloaded. I hated the Burly Brawl, and how over the top it was. I thought the fight in Merovingian's place was rather lame and shockingly lacking in violence. The film was rated R. For all that was happening there, you'd think you would see more than a drop of blood in the movie. I hated the way Neo revived Trinity, and thought the shot of her falling was pretty crappy looking, which they showed about 4 times in the film. The freeway part had it's moments, but all in all, the movie was missing most of what made the first film special. It did have the added bonus of Monica Bellucci, though, which was nice. That's a sure-fire way to improve any movie. Though her screen time was certainly limited.

I think Revolutions went closer to the roots of the series, and there's actually a lot of subtle gestures and things that make reference to the first movie, which I enjoyed. Like Neo does a very similar fighting taunt before the final battle with Agent Smith, which is the same as he did in the original. You also see the close-up of Neo's shoe walking in the puddles from the rain, which was clearly done to resemble that shot in the first film. Those are just small things, though. Revolution took them back to reality. I thought the special effects in it were outstanding. It was visually great watching Zion fall. Watching all those squidy things (I can't completely remember the name, but I think that's what they called them) as they're pouring into the room. Just when you think there couldn't be more, the number of them totally multiplies. It was a sight to behold. Neo's journey into the machine city was a nice, thrilling rollercoast ride, escalated by that beautiful shot of them breaching the surface and seeing the sky. I think the dialogue and acting improved rather significantly in this final film. There was a darker tone to the film, and I liked the fact that the good guys weren't doing so hot overall. Neo getting blinded, Trinity dying. Morpheus being shown reduced as just a human when all is said in done because in the real world he is unable to bend the rules. That's all cool with me. That's not to say the film doesn't have some problems, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. After seeing it a few times, I think some of the action in Zion can be kind of silly, and some of it is no longer as cool to me as it was upon the first viewing, but I don't think Revolutions gets nearly as much respect as it deserves. I think it definitely got the series back on track and concluded quite nicely.

#14 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

I like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix but compared to the first they do suck. Though the 2nd movie had the best soundtrack imo.

#15 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -

The second wasn't bad, but not as visually and mentally intriguing as the first. The third was just boring. It was like an hour of dudes shooting and Neo punching. The CG always pulls me out of the 2nd and 3rd because it's so noticable. Animatrix was pretty sick though in some episodes

#16 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

I thought they were just as good as the first.

Meaning I'm the guy that liked The Phantom Menace over The Matrix in 1999.

#17 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
"I thought they were just as good as the first.  Meaning I'm the guy that liked The Phantom Menace over The Matrix in 1999. "

I thought the phantom menace wasn't bad either  (cept for jarjar), episode 2 and 3 however i hated.
#18 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

They should have stopped with the first as in end of story.

#19 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

I'd agree they probably should've just stopped at the first, but that being said I don't think the second and third flicks are as terrible as folk make them out to be.

#20 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" I thought they were actually very well done. I love the symbolism and art/visual direction. The fight scenese were just as good if not better than the first movie. I thought the plot was pretty good and the acting wasn't bad at all.  Smith's speech at the end of the third movie when he asks "why?" sends shivers down my spine every time is see it, one of the greatest speeches in a movie imo.  I feel like people just hate the 2 sequels just beacuse other people tell them they suck and they don't actually make opionions for themselves. I believe that to be true is almost any situation, but the matrix in particular doesn't deserve the hate that it gets.  People even shit on the animatrix. SERIOUSLY! How could someone not like the animatrix, it was the best collaboration film ive ever seen and definatley one of the top 5 animes ive seen. The shorts called 'The Second Renaissance were absolutley brilliant. "
I certainly don't hate them as much as most people, but there are certainly some things about each of them that aren't as good as the original. I'd say the organization of the movies (I.E. the screenwriting) suffers a bit, as does the pacing. I certainly liked that action scenes in both sequels, but they weren't quite as good overall the way I see it.  
I did quite like the Animatrix, though some of those stories were better than others. 
#21 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Second one was pretty good. Third, not so much.

#22 Posted by borgmaster (513 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
" Yes, you're the only one who likes it. "
"
#23 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" I thought they were actually very well done. I love the symbolism and art/visual direction. The fight scenese were just as good if not better than the first movie. I thought the plot was pretty good and the acting wasn't bad at all.  Smith's speech at the end of the third movie when he asks "why?" sends shivers down my spine every time is see it, one of the greatest speeches in a movie imo.  I feel like people just hate the 2 sequels just beacuse other people tell them they suck and they don't actually make opionions for themselves. I believe that to be true is almost any situation, but the matrix in particular doesn't deserve the hate that it gets.  People even shit on the animatrix. SERIOUSLY! How could someone not like the animatrix, it was the best collaboration film ive ever seen and definatley one of the top 5 animes ive seen. The shorts called 'The Second Renaissance were absolutley brilliant. "
I certainly don't hate them as much as most people, but there are certainly some things about each of them that aren't as good as the original. I'd say the organization of the movies (I.E. the screenwriting) suffers a bit, as does the pacing. I certainly liked that action scenes in both sequels, but they weren't quite as good overall the way I see it.  I did quite like the Animatrix, though some of those stories were better than others.  "

Yeah I never said I like them more than the first, but i still think they are quite enjoyable movies.
#24 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -

the second was okay, but the third was unbearably horrible
#25 Posted by GunstarRed (5020 posts) -

Rewatched the first one recently and it is an amazing movie,. but have a lot of fondness for the second one with some breathtaking action sequences (the bike chase especially) and I really, really, like Revolutions, the movie makes absolutley fuck all sense by the end of it all  and it's pretentious as fuck but its still absolutely gorgeous artistically and a bunch of fun. 

the animatrix is mostly bad though even the two Shinichiro Watanabe (bebop/champloo) directed shorts are boring as hell. the two parter about the matrix origins is interesting but I'd never want to watch it more than once.. 

The slow paced one about the girl with the star and the cat and the kids that find the glitch is pretty good though.
#26 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

not at all dude. Lots of people including critiques love the second two sequels. in my opinion the movies get better as the it progresses

#27 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I'm not a fan of the Matrix movies.

#28 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

no i like them too dude.  

i am a big fan of really wild scifi style anime's. only the good ones. like Akira for instance.  
The matrix trilogy is based on movies like that (ghost in the shell etc etc).  
When you take that into context you start to realize how ambitiious those sequels really are story wise. they are totally convoluted, yes, but everything has a meaning and its pretty deep stuff.  

@marioncobretti

said: 

" Rewatched the first one recently and it is an amazing movie,. but have a lot of fondness for the second one with some breathing action sequences (the bike chase especially) and I really, really, like Revolutions, the movie makes absolutley fuck all sense by the end of it all  and it's pretentious as fuck but its still absolutely gorgeous artistically and a bunch of fun.  the animatrix is mostly bad though even the two Shinichiro Watanabe (bebop/champloo) directed shorts are boring as hell. the two parter about the matrix origins is interesting but I'd never want to watch it more than once..  The slow paced one about the girl with the star and the cat and the kids that find the glitch is pretty good though. "

i strongly disagree with you. those animes are beautiful and some have amazing stories that look into the wierder things within the matrix. like that one with the kids who discovered a house full of glitches, then a huge clean up crew comes and patches it up.  
and the one called THE KID is beautiful!! 
i like the one about the track star too. he WOKE UP into the real world in that tube thing, then immediately agents took over. then he spent the rest of his life in a mental institution and crippled, until one day he got up and ran and probably woke up again and was freed.
#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i love them
#30 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@Whisperkill: 

Honestly, never watched them. I've seen about half of 2, didn't think it was awful. However, I didn't like the first Matrix, so yeah.
#31 Posted by DarkFlow83 (127 posts) -
@Whisperkill: I Liked all of them, I even own the animatrix.
#32 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -

I liked them both and still watch them from time to time. Actually I just watched both of them about a week ago. They were awesome, fuck them haters.

#33 Posted by AlexB (1023 posts) -

Well the first Matrix just really eclipsed anything the second and third tried to do. Although I thought Reloaded was a pretty good effort *entertaining* at least. It started to go down a BAD path and then Revolutions fucked everything up and shit itself inside out and made no god damn sense. I get that they were trying to close it and everything is suppose to be allegorical, but still no casual person is going to understand wtf is going on. So basically they got consecutively bad. IMO a 9 to a 6 to a 2.

#34 Posted by Hats (360 posts) -

They went up there own ass from what the 1st matrix was they could of done so much more with it

#35 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Hats said:

" They went up there own ass from what the 1st matrix was they could of done so much more with it "

im pretty sure they did A LOT with it, which is why lots of people dont like the sequels. they think they did TOO much with it.  

look as long as you view the matrix trilogy as a live action anime, the whole insanely convoluted plot, wild sub plots and crazy random characters all kinda makes more sense. 
#36 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Yes, you're the only one. No I didn't read any other reply.

#37 Posted by teh_destroyer (3560 posts) -

The Matrix= over rated 
Reloaded=lots of action, no storry 
Revolutions= tride to much to have a story and fell flat on its face.

#38 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

Yeah i like them.
#39 Posted by AndrewB (7479 posts) -

Answer to OP: Yes.

Unfortunately, several of the posts here contradict that : \

#40 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

No, I like them. It's only when I stop and look at the first movie and then imagine what two sequels to that COULD have been, I get a little bummed out, Cause it could have been so much better.

#41 Posted by Tearhead (2151 posts) -

I loved all three movies, but the first is definitely the best. That being said, I am fully aware of where the series went after the first, and how ridiculous it was. How Neo was able to use his powers outside the Matrix to stop those sentinels is still one of the most retarded things I've seen.

#42 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I love 1, 2 and the Animatrix. The third one was what needed to be done to finish it up. But I can't say I found it as entertaining as the rest. 
Overall, I really respect what the Wachowski's created.

#43 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

I really like Reloaded - I thought it was a great straight-up action film.

Revolutions though....the less said the better.

#44 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

First one was great, Second was ok, but starting to get to Jesus-ish..  
3rd one was all Geek Jesus and I was like "fuck that" (not that I have anything against religion. But I read the book) 
And Animatrix was great.. 

Now what sucks was the games

#45 Posted by ikiddo (15 posts) -

To me they are the most boring films that I have personally ever seen.  Even more boring that LOTR trilogy. But for me they were just to long winded.

#46 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

They're bad, boring films.
#47 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I didn't hate them, but I haven't seen them since I first saw them, so my memory is kind of fuzzy.  I do remember being disappointed that all it all came down to was Keanu beating on Hugo Weaving's face a lot to end all the trouble and strife of the past hundred years (or however long it had been).  Maybe someday I'll rewatch them all, but until them I'll keep my opinions to "3 stars". 

#48 Posted by TheFollower (6 posts) -
#49 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Tearhead said:

" I loved all three movies, but the first is definitely the best. That being said, I am fully aware of where the series went after the first, and how ridiculous it was. How Neo was able to use his powers outside the Matrix to stop those sentinels is still one of the most retarded things I've seen. "

he was designed by the machines as a perfect being both man and machine. he had power over them. it was telekinesis. its why he could see the machine world without eyes. 
#50 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@TheFollower said:
"
If you thought the plot and story of the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies were good watch these reviews: 

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/The-Matrix-Reloaded.php 
http://www.confusedmatthew.com/The-Matrix-Revolutions.php     "
that review is so ignorant though, the guy tries so hard to sound like he is the all knowing brainiac. people can come up with a massive argument against everything he said.  

he went into these films clearly looking for ways to nitpick it negatively.